JBLUA320
Topic Author

Let's Hear Your Mononucleosis Stories!

Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:58 pm

Well, I thought it was just a nasty case of jetlag that wouldn't go away. My sleep schedule was way off ever since returning from China, and as the week progressed, my sinuses were starting to act up.

Sure enough, one morning, I woke up with glands stretching from NJ to Delaware, incredible incredible pain and the doctor without hesitating said, "It's mono. Be glad this didn't surface last week while you were in China!"

So now, I am starting Day 3 of a 6 day steroid treatment. I am on (a total crapload) of Advil, as well as the Steroids, which is called MethylPREDNIsolone. The symptoms seem worse at night, but I've been able to sleep from about 8pm - 7am which is okay I guess.

One thing is for sure, though-- it's no fun to have mono! I've heard the sore throat (and most symptoms) go away quickly. I'm praying maybe tomorrow the pain will go away. I can deal with sinus pressure, but a sore throat and swollen glands is just no party!

And all of this while ExpressJet is trying to schedule me for an immediate interview!

What are your mono stories? Any weird cases? I know for me, my case has been slightly odd because the steroids are not making me hungry (I have no appetite) and I have no fever whatsoever.

Since we don't want to share germs, let's share stories!

(Clearly bored in bed for the 3rd day),
JBLU

767Lover

RE: Let's Hear Your Mononucleosis Stories!

Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:12 pm

I had mono and strept simultaneously when I was a freshman in college. I have never been so sick. In fact, my dad had to leave work one day to drive 4 hours round trip to pick me up and bring me home. Was out of school for about 3 weeks.

Queso

Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:39 pm

I had mono, and like you it made me miserable. I was selected to report our local 1984 Presidential election results for CBS news and I couldn't hardly talk, but I made it through. I had quite a lisp though!

You know, once you have mono the virus never completely goes away. In 1994 (ten years later) I had a six-month episode with fever of undetermined origin and incredible fatigue, I could barely stand to pull myself out of bed every morning. I went to several doctors and had all kinds of tests done but they never were able to find anything and one doctor told me that it was possibly the mono virus recurring, and the only diagnosis he could make judging from the symptoms was "chronic fatigue syndrome". I finally got over that but it was a very rough time in my life.

Good luck and take care of yourself.

jush

Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:54 pm

Oh dude I had it end 2005. I had swollen tonsils that you can imagine how big they really grew. My nose was blocked for days so I could only sleep while breathing through these monsters in my throat. My mouth was so dry that my tongue was glued to my gum. It was horrible. But do steroids help? I didn't get any treatment except staying in bed and sleep.
After one and a half weeks I was back to almost normal but I could feel the effects of the disease 2 over a two month period when i was doing sports. Horrible.

Get well soon

jushin
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

Arniepie

Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:17 pm

I got it in '88 just before my exams ,contracted it from my Girlfriend back then (sl*t) and made me miss my exams, I had to redo them during summer (august).
Besides ruining my whole summer it also bothered me about a year as I was constantly fatigued, sometimes I still feel completely exhausted without any apparent reason
[edit post]

bhmbaglock

Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:22 am

Be glad you're getting treatment. It can be very, very bad in some cases. Last year, my brother died in his sleep from being suffocated by the swelling while waiting for test results to see if he had mono.
Where are all of my respected members going?