copaair737

Mendocino County, CA Wants Pot Legalized.

Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:21 pm

Nothing wrong with this idea. It would eliminate the black market and boost the local economy.
http://www.times-standard.com/local/ci_6164128
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

Superfly

RE: Mendocino County, CA Wants Pot Legalized.

Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:28 pm

The state of California voted to legalize marijuana back in 1996.
See prop 215.
The feds violated and underminded the will of the voters.
Bring back the Concorde

copaair737

Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:30 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 1):
The feds violated and underminded the will of the voters

The feds have completely undermined the way America is supposed to work.

What ever happened to state's rights?

rammstein

Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:47 pm

Quoting Copaair737 (Thread starter):
Nothing wrong with this idea.

California Air Pollution Control Laws comes to mind.

Seriously, is there any hope to have a State where the pot is legalized?
He who wishes to be rich in a day will be hanged in a day. --Leonardo Da Vinci

copaair737

Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:50 pm

Quoting Rammstein (Reply 3):

Seriously, is there any hope to have a State where the pot is legalized?

Humboldt County (CA), where I live, won't prosecute a grower with 50 or so plants for private use.

Superfly

Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:03 pm

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 4):
Humboldt County (CA), where I live, won't prosecute a grower with 50 or so plants for private use.

Same here in San Francisco.
Our D.A. will not prosecute for possession of marijuana. A cop would be wasting his time arresting someone for pot. He or she would be laughed at too by fellow officers. There are far more serious things for big city cops to concern themselves with.
Bring back the Concorde

TSS

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:33 pm

Marijuana has been Alabama's #1 cash crop for most of my life, yet we've never collected a dime of state tax from it's sale.  Sad
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

halls120

Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:06 pm

The state of California voted to legalize marijuana back in 1996.
See prop 215.

rotfl  We "violated" the "will" of the voters?  rotfl  I guess you haven't bothered to read the federal controlled substances act, under which marijuana remains illegal - California proposition 215 notwithstanding.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Superfly

Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:19 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 7):
I guess you haven't bothered to read the federal controlled substances act, under which marijuana remains illegal - California proposition 215 notwithstanding.

Screw that law!
Good thing that law isn't being enforced out here.
Bring back the Concorde

halls120

Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:24 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 8):
I guess you haven't bothered to read the federal controlled substances act, under which marijuana remains illegal - California proposition 215 notwithstanding.

Screw that law!

Ah, but it is!

One of the common myths perpetrated by the legalizing lobby is that DEA went after small time MJ users and dealers. That just isn't close to reality. DEA - before prop 215 and after - only targets large scale growers and distributors. Cases are being investigated and prosecuted as we speak.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

andessmf

Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:35 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 5):
A cop would be wasting his time arresting someone for pot

But yet authorities waste plenty of time with smokers and all the laws on the books about them.

LTU932

Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:08 am

Mendocino County, CA Wants Pot Legalized.

If it does become legal there, then I'm moving to Mendocino County.

Signed,
Sabena332

stirthepot 

Superfly

Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:50 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 10):
But yet authorities waste plenty of time with smokers and all the laws on the books about them.

Where?
Not here.
Bring back the Concorde

piercey

Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:18 am

Just legalize it and tax it. Lord knows the government could use the cash.

piercey in CLE  Sad
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

Superfly

Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:21 am

Quoting Piercey (Reply 13):
Just legalize it and tax it. Lord knows the government could use the cash.

checkmark 
Bring back the Concorde

pelican

Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:25 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 11):

If it does become legal there, then I'm moving to Mendocino County.

Signed,
Sabena332

At least in the winter when the weather is shitty in Pot county, ahm the Netherlands...

Signed,
Sabena332

Wink

Sabena332

Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:44 am

Quoting Pelican (Reply 15):
At least in the winter when the weather is shitty in Pot county, ahm the Netherlands...

1. They have greenhouses in Holland where they are making the best stuff, year-around.
2. Why buy in Holland when you get stuff of almost the same quality next door?
3. When the weather is bad (i.e. December) I simply fly to Spain where I get finest stuff from Morocco!
4. Stop making this "Sabena332-weed" jokes! I smoke it (in a responsible way) and I stay to it, big deal?  Confused
5. I have nothing here tonight so all the posts about weed annoy me even more!  Wink

P.
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

pelican

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:18 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 16):
4. Stop making this "Sabena332-weed" jokes! I smoke it (in a responsible way) and I stay to it, big deal? Confused
No big deal at all. While haven't consumed it for years I see people doing all the time (being a university student )
Nonetheless it (posting cheap jokes) is too tempting. Also I've to say it was more aimed at the Netherlands were pot is legal for ages - so it's no big deal to legalise it, too - also I'm against it.

5. I have nothing here tonight so all the posts about weed annoy me even more!
Some beers could comfort you. I drink another red bull and go back to writing my thesis while the first birds already start to sing.

pelican

edit: for clarification

[Edited 2007-06-19 03:44:30]

srbmod

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:24 am

You were expecting less from the Peanut Gallery that also makes sheep jokes towards Gkirk?

Technically, it isn't illegal. You have to buy a stamp from the government in order to grow it legally. The catch is that the government never has issued such a stamp.

A few illegal drugs were made that way for racist reasons.

The downside of these draconian drug laws is that no real research can legally be done regarding these drugs. For all we know, there may be chemicals that are present in some of these drugs that have beneficial effects. One think to remember is that at one point, cocaine and heroin (along with other opiates) were sold over the counter or were prescribed by doctors.

The anti-marijuana propaganda being fed over the years is sorry and at times hysterical. And the "marijuana is a gateway drug" statement is really silly as well. I've only ever done two illegal drugs, weed and on one occasion, ecstasy. Pot didn't make me want to do any other drugs (although it was during my stoner phase that I did ecstasy, but I had been wanted to try it long before I even started to smoke pot.).

Marijuana is the most widely used illegal drug. In a number of states, it is the biggest cash crop. Think about the tax dollars the governments (state, federal, local) are missing out on because of the illegal status of marijuana. You could put a higher tax on it than tobacco and folks probably wouldn't be mad about it.

767Lover

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:29 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 18):
A few illegal drugs were made that way for racist reasons.

The downside of these draconian drug laws is that no real research can legally be done regarding these drugs. For all we know, there may be chemicals that are present in some of these drugs that have beneficial effects. One think to remember is that at one point, cocaine and heroin (along with other opiates) were sold over the counter or were prescribed by doctors.

You must have just watched the history of illegal drugs/addiction on History Channel this evening. It was an interesting show.

srbmod

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:46 am

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 19):

You must have just watched the history of illegal drugs/addiction on History Channel this evening. It was an interesting show.

Didn't know it was on again (History Channel seems to run that show about as often as the Travel Channel shows some of those Vegas programs). I've seen it on there several times in the past.

Superfly

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:47 am

I've only ever done two illegal drugs, weed and on one occasion, ecstasy.

Man that would have been a hoot to see you in Vegas high an Ecstasy!  wideeyed 

You are totally spot on with your post.  yes 

Cigarettes and alcohol is legal, yet not everyone drinks or smokes cigarettes. I first smoked pot when I was 14 years old and never ever had any desire to try anything else. My pot smoking days are in the past hadn't smoked since Easter of last year.

Sometimes I feel that 'drug test' (pot test) is a war on free-thinkers. Marijuana shows up in your system the longest, unlike cocaine which is a rich man's drug. Pot smokers (liberal and conservative) are more likely to challenge/question authority. The is bad for 'production' for a business. A cocaine user can follow the script and do there job and really fast, thus not really a threat to a corporate hierarchy.

I hope to live to see the day we can look back at how stupid our anti-marijuana law were.
Bring back the Concorde

pelican

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:47 am

You were expecting less from the Peanut Gallery that also makes sheep jokes towards Gkirk?

Please, show one post were I made a joke about Gkirk - sure it's tempting but I refrain from lowering myself so far. Yeah sure

pelican

767Lover

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:51 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 21):
My pot smoking days are in the past hadn't smoked since Easter of last year.

Why did you quit?

N1120A

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:58 am

I guess you haven't bothered to read the federal controlled substances act, under which marijuana remains illegal

Hey, if you keep the marijuana out of interstate commerce, then the feds should have no say it in.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

srbmod

Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:11 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 21):
Man that would have been a hoot to see you in Vegas high an Ecstasy!

Did it one time just to say I'd done it. That was over 7 years ago, and it's been about 6 years since the last time I ever smoked pot.

cannibalz3

Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:17 am

Hey everybody! I'm an intern at a lobbying organization in DC. I promise you these things are being noticed and people are taking them seriously. I've been doing a fair bit of research into the issue of student drug use recently for my group. Since everyone that's yet posted here seems to be more-or-less pro legalization, consider joining one of the rather vocal advocacy groups.

National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML)
www.norml.org
Students for Sensible Drug Policy (SSDP)
Drug Policy Alliance (DPA)
www.drugpolicy.org
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP)
www.leap.org.

All opposed, I'm afraid to say, don't have much in terms of dedicated organizations on their side - other than the federal government of course.
Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP)
www.ondcp.gov
Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA)
www.dea.gov

halls120

Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:06 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 24):
Quoting Halls120 (Reply 7):I guess you haven't bothered to read the federal controlled substances act, under which marijuana remains illegal
Hey, if you keep the marijuana out of interstate commerce, then the feds should have no say it in

Wow. I guess you missed the Supreme Court decision that rejected the recent lame attempt to challenge the CSA on the grounds that it was an impermissible exercise of the Commerce Clause!

Quote:
California's Compassionate Use Act authorizes limited marijuana use for medicinal purposes. Respondents Raich and Monson are California residents who both use doctor-recommended marijuana for serious medical conditions. After federal Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) agents seized and destroyed all six of Monson's cannabis plants, respondents brought this action seeking injunctive and declaratory relief prohibiting the enforcement of the federal Controlled Substances Act (CSA) to the extent it prevents them from possessing, obtaining, or manufacturing cannabis for their personal medical use. Respondents claim that enforcing the CSA against them would violate the Commerce Clause and other constitutional provisions. The District Court denied respondents' motion for a preliminary injunction, but the Ninth Circuit reversed, finding that they had demonstrated a strong likelihood of success on the claim that the CSA is an unconstitutional exercise of Congress' Commerce Clause authority as applied to the intrastate, noncommercial cultivation and possession of cannabis for personal medical purposes as recommended by a patient's physician pursuant to valid California state law. The court relied heavily on United States v. Lopez, 514 U. S. 549, and United States v. Morrison, 529 U. S. 598, to hold that this separate class of purely local activities was beyond the reach of federal power.

Held: Congress' Commerce Clause authority includes the power to prohibit the local cultivation and use of marijuana in compliance with California law. Pp. 6-31.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/script....pl?court=US&vol=000&invol=03-1454

You can read the entire decision - Gonzales v. Raich - at 545 U.S. 1 (2005)

Quoting CannibalZ3 (Reply 26):
All opposed, I'm afraid to say, don't have much in terms of dedicated organizations on their side - other than the federal government of course.

And that's all we need, thank you very much!

Superfly

Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:53 pm

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 23):
Why did you quit?

Technically I haven't.
However, all it does is make me giggle and eat a lot.
At 255 lbs, eating a lot is the last thing I need to do.  Smile

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 25):
Did it one time just to say I'd done it. That was over 7 years ago, and it's been about 6 years since the last time I ever smoked pot.

You don't have to lie to me.  Smile
Was your experience like Will Farrell's on Saturday Night Live?
Remember the Ecstasy Cereal?
Bring back the Concorde

DeltaAVL

Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:22 pm

You guys aren't even mentioning the downsides of legalization.

First off, do we know for sure that the taxes made off of marijuana sales are going to be greater than the money that the government makes off arrests and tickets related to marijuana? If so, then it wouldn't be by much.

Studies have shown that marijuana (known as the "harmless drug" - yeah right!) use often progresses to the use of 'harder' drugs, such as LSD, heroine, cocaine, the list goes on. People won't usually start out with these 'hard' drugs, but the use of marijuana certainly increases the risk of using them.

Drunk driving is a major problem as it is. Why add to that by legalizing marijuana? "Driving high" is much less easy to detect, as well.

And that's not even taking into consideration the myriad of medical problems that result from smoking the stuff.

Guys, the negatives definitely outweigh the benefits in this one. There's got to be someone who shares the same stance as me on this board...
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

copaair737

Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:28 pm

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 29):
You guys aren't even mentioning the downsides of legalization.

First off, do we know for sure that the taxes made off of marijuana sales are going to be greater than the money that the government makes off arrests and tickets related to marijuana? If so, then it wouldn't be by much.

Studies have shown that marijuana (known as the "harmless drug" - yeah right!) use often progresses to the use of 'harder' drugs, such as LSD, heroine, cocaine, the list goes on. People won't usually start out with these 'hard' drugs, but the use of marijuana certainly increases the risk of using them.

Drunk driving is a major problem as it is. Why add to that by legalizing marijuana? "Driving high" is much less easy to detect, as well.

And that's not even taking into consideration the myriad of medical problems that result from smoking the stuff.

Guys, the negatives definitely outweigh the benefits in this one. There's got to be someone who shares the same stance as me on this board...

Let's just ban everything taht could be considered "dangerous". Sound good? Everybody will be happy then. The Oversized Government can decide our individual rights so we are safe and not likely to get into trouble.

Seems to be the norm for the Puritanical States of America anymore.

N1120A

Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:36 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 27):
I guess you missed the Supreme Court decision that rejected the recent lame attempt to challenge the CSA on the grounds that it was an impermissible exercise of the Commerce Clause!

No, i didn't miss it, I just think it was a bit arbitrary. If you can prove a process completely removed from interstate commerce, then there shouldn't be an issue.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

DeltaAVL

Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:37 pm

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 30):

Let's just ban everything that could be considered "dangerous". Sound good?

That isn't even relative to the argument. Marijuana is already banned, we're talking about UNbanning it.  Yeah sure

Also, most things that are "considered dangerous" do not link to the use of "harder" drugs. For example, running out in the middle of the interstate isn't likely to increase your chances of using LSD.
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

piercey

Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:41 pm

umm.. Legalize, then slap on DUI, growing Weed without a permit, selling weed to minors, etc..

"Driving high" is much less easy to detect, as well.

blood test? Hair Test?

Yup, helping MS patients is a real drag on society  sarcastic 

piercey in CLE  Sad
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

copaair737

Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:41 pm

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 32):
That isn't even relative to the argument. Marijuana is already banned, we're talking about UNbanning it. Yeah sure

Sure...but there are other activities that are "dangerous"...why not ban them too?

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 32):
Also, most things that are "considered dangerous" do not link to the use of "harder" drugs. For example, running out in the middle of the interstate isn't likely to increase your chances of using LSD.

Let's just make and or keep everthing that is fun illegal. That way, nobody can have dangerous behaviors.
Fair enough.

copaair737

Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:45 pm

Is it really the government's duty to tell us what we can and can't do?
I thought this was the home of the free.

andessmf

Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:41 pm

Let's just ban everything that could be considered "dangerous". Sound good?

Good idea! Here are my suggestions:

1. Force people to wear helmets while riding motorcycles
2. Force people to wear seat belts in cars
3. Don't allow smoking in bars or restaurants
4. Mandate that kids should wear helmets while riding bikes
5. Ban transfats
6. Don't allow riding in back on pickup trucks
7. Etc., etc., etc.

Been there, done that (by both sides).

The genie was let out of the bottle long ago.

saxdiva

Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:53 pm

Quoting CannibalZ3 (Reply 26):
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP)
www.leap.org.

Might want to check that link. I'm not sure that Leadership Education for Asian Pacifics is quite on board with the pro-marijuana position.

However, I thought this was hilarious:

TheCol

Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:04 pm

1. They have greenhouses in Holland where they are making the best stuff, year-around.

That's BS. We have the best weed!

Signed,

British Columbia

Quoting Piercey (Reply 33):
then slap on DUI

After the crash.

blood test?

I doubt the cops could draw blood during a roadblock stop.

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 34):

Let's just make and or keep everthing that is fun illegal. That way, nobody can have dangerous behaviors.
Fair enough.

Yes, because Cocaine, Heroin, and Crystal Meth are really fun to be hooked on.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

halls120

Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:37 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 31):
Quoting Halls120 (Reply 27):
I guess you missed the Supreme Court decision that rejected the recent lame attempt to challenge the CSA on the grounds that it was an impermissible exercise of the Commerce Clause!

No, i didn't miss it, I just think it was a bit arbitrary. If you can prove a process completely removed from interstate commerce, then there shouldn't be an issue.

rotfl  I can see you didn't read the case decision. No surprise there.

Quote:
The similarities between this case and Wickard are striking. In both cases, the regulation is squarely within Congress' commerce power because production of the commodity meant for home consumption, be it wheat or marijuana, has a substantial effect on supply and demand in the national market for that commodity. In assessing the scope of Congress' Commerce Clause authority, the Court need not determine whether respondents' activities, taken in the aggregate, substantially affect interstate commerce in fact, but only whether a "rational basis" exists for so concluding. E.g., Lopez, 514 U. S., at 557. Given the enforcement difficulties that attend distinguishing between marijuana cultivated locally and marijuana grown elsewhere, 21 U. S. C. §801(5), and concerns about diversion into illicit channels, the Court has no difficulty concluding that Congress had a rational basis for believing that failure to regulate the intrastate manufacture and possession of marijuana would leave a gaping hole in the CSA. Pp. 12-20.

So, Mr. I don't pay attention to arbitrary Supreme Court decisions, just how is any marijuana proponent going to overcome the above?

ANCFlyer

Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:52 pm

Nothing wrong with this idea

Except it violates Federal Law.

Nope, they just didn't allow State Law to over ride Federal Law.

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 2):
The feds have completely undermined the way America is supposed to work.

Horse Hockey

Quoting Superfly (Reply 5):
Same here in San Francisco.
Our D.A. will not prosecute for possession of marijuana. A cop would be wasting his time arresting someone for pot. He or she would be laughed at too by fellow officers. There are far more serious things for big city cops to concern themselves with.

Like much more important things to do, like dis the military at every turn, kick recruiters out of school, turn away classic warships, try to dissolve the 2nd Amendment . . . yeah - lots more important things to do  sarcastic 

Quoting Superfly (Reply 8):

Which speaks volumes about why California isn't on my top ten list of places to visit.

Quoting TheCol (Reply 38):

Fair enough.

Yes, because Cocaine, Heroin, and Crystal Meth are really fun to be hooked on.

checkmark 

Anyone silly enough to think that MJ use doesn't lead to other drug use is - pardon the pun - smoking dope . . .

Anyone ever witness someone destroy their lives because of narcotics use can't possibly think that legalizing illicit narcotics is a good thing. If they do, then again, they're smoking dope.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

767Lover

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:35 pm

Let's just ban everything taht could be considered "dangerous". Sound good? Everybody will be happy then. The Oversized Government can decide our individual rights so we are safe and not likely to get into trouble.

Why does an anti-marijuana stance elicit a knee-jerk response that it is religious fanaticism? I don't see anyone saying that it is "puritanical" to want to ban other things that are bad for you, such as trans-fats, or cigarettes.

Funny, morphine used to be called "god's own medicine."

I used to think smoking dope was okay, until I hung out with people who did it regularly and I witnessed how self-destructive it can be (in terms of lack of motivation and direction, entry to harder drugs and unhealthy lifestyle, etc.) Yes, alcohol can do the same, but marijuana use is more insidious.

Superfly

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:39 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 40):
Which speaks volumes about why California isn't on my top ten list of places to visit.

Aw come on man! I'll take you out for drinks and make you forget about our city gov't doing things such as dis the military at every turn, kick recruiters out of school, turn away classic warships, try to dissolve the 2nd Amendment.  Smile
BTW, I voted against the gun ban law here in San Francisco.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 40):
Anyone silly enough to think that MJ use doesn't lead to other drug use is - pardon the pun - smoking dope . .

Most pot smokers I know eventually quit or never went on to harder drugs. Stop listening to the government propaganda. Of those that do hard drugs hardly smoke pot. It wasn't marijuana's fault as to why they do hard drugs. You can easily say that those that do hard drugs dranked coffee and Coca-Cola (lots of caffeine) at one time that started there addiction to 'uppers'.
Bring back the Concorde

767Lover

Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:50 am

There's plenty of non-U.S. research and position that cannabis is harmful.

Since people on A.net LOVE data from the United Nations, consider this: If cannabis was so harmless, why is the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (which is headed up by an Italian, before any of you say it is US-influenced) against legalization of cannabis? Why are they opposed to marijuana for medical use?

http://www.unodc.org/

Apparently Swedes think it is harmful as well
http://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/studies_drugs_crime.html

A study of teenagers by a UK group says this:

Ms Herts said studies show young people who use cannabis regularly or heavily are at least twice as likely to develop a psychotic mental disorder by young adulthood than those who do not smoke.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6162217.stm

DeltaAVL

Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:14 am

blood test? Hair Test?

...Which can take hours to identify. Much harder than simply doing the alcohol test at a common roadblock or pullover.

umm.. Legalize, then slap on DUI, growing Weed without a permit, selling weed to minors, etc..

Right, but these things are already happening. Where I live, there are huge marijuana busts at least once a week, racking in the cash to the state of North Carolina and the federal government. They're making more money off of illegal possession and dealing then they ever will from selling weed to minors or growing without a permit.

Fair enough.

Ah, so you think my example of running out into the middle of the interstate is fun. Well, if that's what floats your boat, GO FOR IT. I'll be watching.  Wink

galapagapop

Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:20 am

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 43):
There's plenty of non-U.S. research and position that cannabis is harmful.

Since people on A.net LOVE data from the United Nations, consider this: If cannabis was so harmless, why is the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (which is headed up by an Italian, before any of you say it is US-influenced) against legalization of cannabis? Why are they opposed to marijuana for medical use?

You make it seem as if Pot is the only potentially legal thing that can be harmful. The sun is harmful long term, but do we all live in caves? Alcohol is just as bad for you long and short term, but is it banned? Side effects from extensive use of Pot are no different than those from regular smoking or drinking to much, it's all about self control.

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 44):
Right, but these things are already happening. Where I live, there are huge marijuana busts at least once a week, racking in the cash to the state of North Carolina and the federal government. They're making more money off of illegal possession and dealing then they ever will from selling weed to minors or growing without a permit.

Because we'd be stupid enough not to tax the stuff? Once legalized, the illegal crime ridden trafficing groups will fall by the wayside as larger companies move in and sell Pot. The US can take a huge stake for itself from taxation and by branding Pot unders certain brands and putting it under the belts of companies (Even if big Tabacco is corrupt), by doing so it will help cleanse the market of harmful variants of Pot which are either contaminated or soaked in something it shouldn't be  Wink.

Then add the underage, ect.... and you have a big money maker. Drug busts only take drugs off the streets that then raises the prices of the drug, which although beneficial to curbing demand, does nothing to stop the flood of illegal pot, and all that price inflation could very well be governement tax that we've been missing out on, instead we get nothing except a bill for all the resources devoted to catching these guys. Until the US starts selling the pot they find on the side for cash, it's a cash negative operation run off the basic fears and lack of faith in the human genome (can't really disagree here, but the link from Pot to harder drugs is weak, that is, a direct result of Pot smoking)

Cheers!

767Lover

Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:47 am

Quoting Galapagapop (Reply 45):
You make it seem as if Pot is the only potentially legal thing that can be harmful. The sun is harmful long term, but do we all live in caves? Alcohol is just as bad for you long and short term, but is it banned? Side effects from extensive use of Pot are no different than those from regular smoking or drinking to much, it's all about self control.

All I'm saying is that the United Nations and member nations are not in favor of legalizing it (including the Netherlands...where pot is not actually legal). There must be a reason.

767Lover

Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:54 am

I do not have the "edit" button even though I just posted the above. I would like to revise the above post to say

All I'm saying is that the United Nations and member nations have not legalized it (including the Netherlands...where pot is not actually legal). There must be a reason.

(edited because I don't actually know if any of them are in favor of legalization, just that they have not legalized.)

Sabena332

Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:57 am

"Driving high" is much less easy to detect, as well.

blood test? Hair Test?

The cops in Germany (especialy here in North Rhine-Westphalia) have some quick-test. They simply sweep a test strip over your hand and after approx. 5 minutes they see if you consumed drugs of any kind in the last 5 hours. You can hand them your drivers license on the spot if the test is positive.

Nowadays I would never, ever drive after smoking weed! Some of my friends always laugh when I say "I don't want to smoke because I have to drive" but I don't give a damn about what other people think, I need my license and I would definitely not risk it for a joint. The same with beer, I drink max. one small bottle when I have to drive afterwards, tonight I drunk a bottle of alcohol-free beer when I was in the band's practise room.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

ANCFlyer

Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:48 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 42):
It wasn't marijuana's fault as to why they do hard drugs.

Speaking of listening to the Gov't . . .

Marijuana isn't the lame crap it used to be my friend . . . no such thing as a Soft Drug anymore. . . . MJs THC content in the 20-40% range, makes it potent as hell.

I bagged and tagged a scumbag once that testified in court that he would not smoke his own grow - way too strong. But he did tell the court, in court, where he got his personal smoke . . .  crazy 

That's why it's called dope . . . we arrested the other scumbag later . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND