jetjack74

So Who Makes Odd PA's @ CLE?

Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:57 am

Ok, i'm sitting here @ CLE, and I keep hearing these PA's where the person sounds like she's singing it? It just sounded kinda funny while i'm enjoying my Ben & Jerry's.
Made from jets!

DeltaAVL

RE: So Who Makes Odd PA's @ CLE?

Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:23 am

I was just there a few days ago and noticed the same thing.

My closest guess (which took me a while to come to) is that it's an automated voice and that someone types in what it's going to say and it says it. Not a real human voice.

Maybe someone who's a little more familiar with CLE can confirm this...

p.s. You may get more answers in Civ-Av...

[Edited 2007-06-19 01:41:42]
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

N231YE

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:04 am

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 1):
My closest guess (which took me a while to come to) is that it's an automated voice and that someone types in what it's going to say and it says it. Not a real human voice.

Working at CLE airport ops, I can tell you this:

If you hear a giggly female voice that repeats the same thing, "May I have your attention please...federal law prohibits solicitation by transportation companies [...] C..L..E..Going places" then yes, this is a pre-recorded message.

Anything else is a real person. Most of the time, the PAs come from people at the information desk, who can be a little "different" sometimes. When they are not there, airport ops handles it. For those people who work at CLE, or travel out of CLE a lot, you may have even heard me do a Public Announcement, often for little things such as, "will Jane Doe, please report to gate C-7 for a lost article" or "This is the last call for Southwest Flight 1234, with service to Chicago, departing gate B-9."

Just for fun, an actual occurrence. I wasn't there, but I "heard this through the grapevine," so I thought I'd share: Last week, an airline employee propped open a SIDA door (a big no-no), while talking to a fellow co-worker. The Ops agents could see what the employees were doing on our security cameras, and the alarms for an ajar door were going crazy. So a city ops agent goes over the PA, "Will the employee at the SIDA door near Baggage Claim 6 please close the door." The employee keeps talking. Ops agent repeats, "I repeat, will the employee at the SIDA door near Baggage Claim 6 please close the door." Nothing. So the ops agent finally says something along the lines of [in a aggravated voice], "Will the employees jibber-jabbering about life please take your little conversation away from my door!" It worked. And the phone lines for airport ops were flooded with passengers and other airline employees going, "What was that announcement all about?"  smile 

Falcon84

Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:46 am

And you didn't tell me you'd be there JetJack? Gee, thanks a lot. Not, on this Monday, that I would have had time for anything.  Big grin

Actually, they just changed the pre-recorded messages last week. These sound much more "professional" than the ones they had before.

And this was a good day to enjoy some ice cream in CLE. It was hotter n' hell here.
Work Right, Fly Hard

airtran737

Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:52 am

When I used to work in GRR a few of my co-workers at Servisair were known to make the following announcement; "may I have your attention please......boo yah" It never got old.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

jetjack74

Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:37 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 3):
And you didn't tell me you'd be there JetJack? Gee, thanks a lot. Not, on this Monday, that I would have had time for anything.

Yeah I know. I was actually thinking about PMing you but our aircraft just rolled in and we were a few minutes away from from boarding. I had a long CLE last night which was cool. Next time i'm at the airport for more than 30 minutes, i'll let you know. Fair enough?  Smile
Made from jets!

ShyFlyer

Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:34 am

Ya know, this thread reminds me of a great piece of cinematic art I viewed recently, in which I heard the following exchange:

Male announcer: The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in a red zone.
Female announcer: The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in a red zone.
Male announcer: The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in a white zone.
Female announcer: No, the white zone is for loading. Now, there is no stopping in a RED zone.
Male announcer: The red zone has always been for loading.
Female announcer: Don't you tell me which zone is for loading, and which zone is for unloading.
Male announcer: Look Betty, don't start up with your white zone shit again. There's just no stopping in a white zone.
Female announcer: Oh really, Vernon? Why pretend, we both know perfectly well what this is about. You want me to have an abortion.
Male announcer: It's really the only sensible thing to do, if its done safely. Therapeutically there's no danger involved.

Ah yes, the classics.  Big grin
I lift things up and put them down.