MCOflyer
Topic Author

My Idea About The Bermuda Challenge

Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:25 am

This challenge goes from New York to the Island of Bermuda. Normaly people do it in 21ft-40ft boats, but i've done some thinking and think it could be done in a 17ft or a 19ft boat. As many people know I'm diagnosed with Autism and I want to test my limits and think this would do it. The weather would have to be right and I would need at least 200-250 gallons of fuel in order to do this. Also you would GPS units etc. etc. I want to know your thoughts on this.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

airfoilsguy

RE: My Idea About The Bermuda Challenge

Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:08 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Thread starter):
I want to know your thoughts on this.

What kind of boat is required? Could you use a sail boat? Is is a race? Sounds like fun
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:51 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 1):

What kind of boat is required? Could you use a sail boat? Is is a race? Sounds like fun

A boat below 40ft. No, it has to be done in less than the previous record. Yes it is a race. I would do this to test my endurance and set a record.

Hunter

bagoldex

Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:55 am

No offense intended, but do you have any idea about sailing and what this kind of passage involves?

aa61hvy

Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:59 am

I'm enroute to Bermuda now.

http://www.satellitebeach.org/images/PhotoAlbum/Recreation_Abounds/Dinghy-Vazquez.jpg
Go big or go home

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:48 am

Quoting BAGoldEx (Reply 3):
No offense intended, but do you have any idea about sailing and what this kind of passage involves?

Yes, very careful navigation, alertness, 3 global positioning systems, 1 radar unit, food, water, a mini shelter on deck, a auto pilot to allow me to sleep, and a very reliable engine.

Hunter

bagoldex

Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:23 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 5):
Yes, very careful navigation, alertness, 3 global positioning systems, 1 radar unit, food, water, a mini shelter on deck, a auto pilot to allow me to sleep, and a very reliable engine.

Hunter

Oh if only it were that simple, my point is have you had much single handed offshore experience? You could have 7,000 GPS units and you could still die within 2 miles of shore. Take it from me, I have done 13 passages to Bermuda on yachts ranging from a modified J/27 to an Alloy 108, it's not all rum, fun and old men in ascots. To put it bluntly, a lot of shit can go down very easily out there and if all you've got is food, water and electronics, you're f'ed. Before you can even do that though the question is, how are you going to afford it, I remember you saying you worked in a convenience store. Outfitting a boat with the correct sails, rigging, electronics, food and survival gear will cost you upwards of $50k and that's assuming you have the boat, which I'm guessing you don't. I know you may want to do this, but be real, it's not easy.