Impacto
Topic Author

N.American Citizens Stand Up And Switch To The BBC

Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:15 am

I never fail to be shocked at the standard of news coverage on some of the main news channels in the US. Whilst in Nigeria, even as an 11 year old kid, I was pretty much well informed of all the happenings around the world. The only international news events they seem to report on concerns US troops in Iraq and this always presented them in a very positive light. I find it all really uninformative, conservative, selective and biased. There is no awareness of events on the rest of the planet unless it involves George Bush visiting somewhere. Some of you might say must people in the US are more interested in domestic issues, but there are few people around this region who deserve to know at least whats going on outside more broadly, rather than listening to some pathetic guy called Glenn Beck for an hour about how he thinks the World is coming to an end which is quite agonizing and disturbing if you ask me.

Ever since I moved to Canada (8 years now) my only reliable source of International news is the Internet. This is very frustrating as it isn't available at all times, but at least some Canadian news outlets such as the CBC and CTV make an effort to show some International news (CBC in fact switches over to the BBC quite often) but not so in the US. It is rather worrying when some people in the US depend on a documentary maker like Michael Moore (who is somewhat biased too) to present an opposing view of world events, bypassing traditional media outlets in order for people to see beyond the official state veneer in order for them to realize the impact of American Foreign Policy around the world.

ltbewr

RE: N.American Citizens Stand Up And Switch To The BBC

Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:22 am

Special half-hour USA markets versions of the BBC News is available on most PBS stations in the early morning (usually 6 am) and in the evening (usually 6-7 pm and 10-11 pm). It is growing in popularity with Americans who want an alternative to the USA centered network and cable news stations, better coverage of the rest of the world, especially the Middle East and Africa as well as ignoring the latest crime and celeberty crap.

YWG

Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:23 am

All CNN seems to talk about is:
-Paris Hilton
-Iraq
-Bush
-Car chases
-Forest Fires

I was in absolute shock when Manitoba made CNN for tornado's we've been getting lately.

And don't even get me started on that whore Nancy Grace.
Contact Winnipeg center now on 134.4, good day.

mdsh00

Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:29 am

Quoting Impacto (Thread starter):

I've been thinking that way for years now. I know I am not the only one but definitely not in the majority either.

TV news (especially 24 hour cable news) is more concerned with ratings rather than actually reporting real news, which is more concerned with reporting about 'Roid Rage and "The Latest Missing White Woman." It's also why it isn't surprising that there's a good number of people that say they watch The Daily Show for their news fix.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

Vio

Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:07 am

Quoting YWG (Reply 2):
-Paris Hilton
-Iraq
-Bush
-Car chases
-Forest Fires

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

PAHS200

Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:11 am

Quoting YWG (Reply 2):

its better then Fox News

-Paris H.
-women sues over candy
-Rosie O’Donnell
- Iraq
-Forest Fire

MSNBC is no better

MDorBust

Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:15 am

The only international news events they seem to report on concerns US troops in Iraq and this always presented them in a very positive light.

You seriously think that US media dithers on the war and portrays it in an overly positive light?

It is rather worrying when some people in the US depend on a documentary maker like Michael Moore (who is somewhat biased too) to present an opposing view of world events, bypassing traditional media outlets in order for people to see beyond the official state veneer in order for them to realize the impact of American Foreign Policy around the world.

Yeah, because he certainly didn't get ignored in Cannes did he?

"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

Aaron747

Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:17 am

Quoting YWG (Reply 2):
-Paris Hilton
-Iraq
-Bush
-Car chases
-Forest Fires

I was in absolute shock when Manitoba made CNN for tornado's we've been getting lately.

You guys don't get CNN International in Canada? Totally different programming from CNN US. Yeah, the requisite baseline shows are still on, 360, Larry Corpse Live, etc , but the bulk of anchoring comes from their London and Hong Kong studios and their worldwide correspondent team is top notch.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

StarAC17

RE: N.American Citizens Stand Up And Switch To The

Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:43 am

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 3):

TV news (especially 24 hour cable news) is more concerned with ratings rather than actually reporting real news, which is more concerned with reporting about 'Roid Rage and "The Latest Missing White Woman." It's also why it isn't surprising that there's a good number of people that say they watch The Daily Show for their news fix.

Yes this is the disadvantage to having media privately owned as they only care about making $$$ and don't care about what is really actual news. Canadian news is better because they discuss issues that Wolf Blitzer won't touch with a 10 foot pole and tend to state the facts instead of bringing an alleged expert to talk about Iraq, legal issues.etc.

Also I don't like the "Missing White Woman Syndrome" incidents because I do think it is the level that racism is at right now which is good considering the progress but this is mainly for ratings and this recent case is really interesting when the people involved in the case talk about it and not Nancy Grace!!. Just do not bring up the Natalie Holloway case again as its 2 freaking years old.

Quoting YWG (Reply 2):
-Paris Hilton
-Iraq
-Bush
-Car chases
-Forest Fires

Very true and I have no problem reporting on the other four and they might actually affect the average citizen depending on your region. I just love how a Paris Hilton, Anna Nicole Smith going to jail, dying etc. is breaking news and warrants interrupting a discussion on Iraq. . Thank god for the Daily Show to catch this and make fun of ot

My biggest issue with North American Media is that they do not address the other side of things like the Israeli-Palestinean conflict and actually present solid facts and not just the opinons of experts on the issue, which can be done by talking to people not affiliated with the US government and actually talk to a 3rd party journalist that has no stake in the conflict and is covering the event.

Also the other day I absolutely hated that Wolf Blitzer basically accused Ralph Nader of costing Gore the 2000 election and made it very difficult to let Nader make a single point about Michael Bloomberg leaving the GOP to become an independent which he was brought on to do. This grilling of guests is really annoying and is not effective to actually discuss an issue such as when Tucker Carlson attacked Jon Stewart on Crossfire about being easy on democrats and making the point that Stewart was biased to the left and heckled the right which is 100% true but his show is not on CNN but on Comedy Central.

The Clip is below:

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 7):

You guys don't get CNN International in Canada? Totally different programming from CNN US. Yeah, the requisite baseline shows are still on, 360, Larry Corpse Live, etc , but the bulk of anchoring comes from their London and Hong Kong studios and their worldwide correspondent team is top notch.

We get the same one along with all the other US networks but they cost a bit extra on digital, we also get BBC and our news networks. I would like CNN International and it may be available on digital but I haven't seen it.

[Edited 2007-06-28 04:45:46]
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

Alias1024

Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:49 am

US news outlets are pretty much all crap. CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC all focus on total crap, while the major networks nightly news is basically a half hour commercial for drug companies. BBC world news on PBS and NPR are the ways I usually get my news. Hell, I'd give Al Jazeera International a shot if I could get it. Can't be any worse than the crap on Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

ME AVN FAN

Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:55 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 6):
You seriously think that US media dithers on the war and portrays it in an overly positive light?

as I only can see CNN (CNN International), I cannot really "judge" this aspect at all. But CNN shows quite a realistic picture of the situation. And quite many views. If there may be a bit of a problem, a problem which under given circumstances would be with ANY country, is that most of their reporters look at matters from a US-American point-of-view, which is their good right, but does not cover the matter at hand in a way. However, CNN employs many "outsider-contributors" and whenever many of those folks are a bit of attention-whores, they give a very nice contribution.
-

their London and Hong Kong studios and their worldwide correspondent team is top notch.

of course, CNN in Europe in a way is a London-station !
-

Aaron747

Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:08 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 10):
But CNN shows quite a realistic picture of the situation. And quite many views.

Yes, exactly why I actually like the network. 'Eye on India', 'Eye on Russia', 'Inside the Middle East', 'Inside Africa', 'Spotlight Indonesia' all feature excellent progams. 'International Correspondents' is great as well, as they feature contributions from independent TV journalists in China, Pakistan, and numerous other hot spots. Overall, they reach quite a substantial balance.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

AirTranTUS

Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:10 pm

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 3):
which is more concerned with reporting about 'Roid Rage and "The Latest Missing White Woman." It's also why it isn't surprising that there's a good number of people that say they watch The Daily Show for their news fix.

Having watched both regular news and the Daily Show, the Daily Show doesn't show any international news I wouldn't see on FOX, CNN, or MSNBC.

What international news am I missing by watching the US networks?
I love ASO!

Superfly

Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:11 pm

Impacto:
 checkmark 
You are spot on!  yes 

The BBC gives excellent coverage about many issues worldwide and is one of my favorite news sources.
You picked CNN as a bad example of a US news outlet, yet it's the best thing we have. I can understand that a guy as intelligent as you are wouldn't waste your time with the garbage on Fox....err....faux news.

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 8):
Yes this is the disadvantage to having media privately owned as they only care about making $$$ and don't care about what is really actual news.

Many of the conservatives on this side of the pond think that is what it's all about. They think if a news outlet is profitable, then everything they say must be the truth.  Yeah sure

the bulk of anchoring comes from their London and Hong Kong studios and their worldwide correspondent team is top notch.

checkmark 
When I was watching CNN in a hotel in Bangkok, I was amazed at how much more detailed news coverage was and the issues they covered. I was almost glued to the TV!
I never do that here.

Larry Corpse Live

Although I like Larry King, that was still very funny!  Silly
Bring back the Concorde

ME AVN FAN

Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:15 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 11):
they reach quite a substantial balance.

right, and give those outsider-correspondents the right to show quite differing points of view

mham001

Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:16 pm

I am amused that some believe that the BBC, CBC, etc are not also "biased". Although I find some of the BBC stories interesting, I can't help but hear the bias that comes across. I stopped watching the CBC long ago. The Canadian condescension was too much.
Just as an aside, several polls have all found that 90% of US newsroom editors and reporters are Democrats.

yowza

Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:24 pm

The BBC is not perfect but it gives far better coverage of world events. The hurdle is that most Americans could not care less about what goes on outside the 50 states so this is just not going to happen.

I am appalled on a daily basis at just how bad the news is on our fine continent. The infotainment style news is such bullshit it drives me nuts. Honestly I think Paris Hilton getting out of jail has gotten more airtime than Nelson Mandela's release around a decade ago... appalling.

YOWza

StarAC17

Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:54 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 13):
Many of the conservatives on this side of the pond think that is what it's all about. They think if a news outlet is profitable, then everything they say must be the truth. Yeah sure

They just don't care if its the truth or not because there is no accountability for not being an ethical or responsible journalist so if they can profit from talking about celebrities they will. The only thing we can do is use resources that are more reliable and stop watching things about Paris Hilton.

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 15):
I am amused that some believe that the BBC, CBC, etc are not also "biased". Although I find some of the BBC stories interesting, I can't help but hear the bias that comes across. I stopped watching the CBC long ago. The Canadian condescension was too much.
Just as an aside, several polls have all found that 90% of US newsroom editors and reporters are Democrats.

All news outlets are somewhat biased in someway but the difference is that they make more of an effort to discuss seriously the issues by at least looking at the other side of the issue and there is a lot you will hear on CBC for example that will not be aired on CNN as it makes the US look very bad, its better but its not 100% perfect.

The issue I have is not weather or not newsroom editors are Democrats or members of the GOP as their opinion is shown very obviously when someone open their mouths when they speak and most educated people know the difference between opinion and fact. Just talk about the important stuff and make people care about it, I couldn't care about what celebrities do and don't want to see it on CNN that is what Entertainment Tonight is for.

Glenn Beck for an hour about how he thinks the World is coming to an end which is quite agonizing and disturbing if you ask me.

Regarding Glenn Beck he is a radio host that is a call in show, who happens to have a TV show and he does that because that is his way of getting attention. He does have dramatic opinions that are the absolute worst case scenarios of our actions and he is good at saying that Iran is going to kill us because it makes people pay attention to him and contribute to his show. He does have the occasional show that makes people think such as his show on Global Warming where he talks about the holes and the flaws of the Kyoto Protocol and actually suggests alternative solutions.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

ME AVN FAN

Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:55 pm

Quoting YOWza (Reply 16):
The hurdle is that most Americans could not care less about what goes on outside the 50 states so this is just not going to happen.

True. I found this aspect shocking on all four visits to the USA. And in case of Texas, the "care" is limited to Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and New Mexico. I when travelling in the USA often had my radio fixed onto Radio Canberra, an excellent short-wave channel.

Aaron747

Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:00 pm

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 12):
What international news am I missing by watching the US networks?

Oh gee, almost everything.

Of recent note, high level meetings in Sharm El-Sheikh of several Arab regional officials regarding what to do about the Gaza situation...the disparity between outside reporting of Russian economic progress and internal struggles with Soviet industry towns that have been sorely left behind as a result...an interview with the despicable captured leader of Indonesian terror group Jamaah Islamiya, in which he detailed growing rifts with Al Qaeda and their overall sense of purpose...renewed debate between Beijina, Seoul and Tokyo regarding the recent visit to Japan of Taiwan's president and his highly controversial visit to Yasukuni shrine...severe flooding in southern China that yet again highlighted the government's inability to provide basic services to the poor even in disaster situations...the list goes on.

fanoftristars

Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:02 pm

The absolute most sensational and awful news channel has got to be Fox News, and I consider myself somewhat politically neutral--in fact, socially liberal and and fiscally conservative, and there is no part of Fox news that is appealing at all. It's pathetic. Fox accuses all the other networks of being biased to the left, and they might be slightly biased to the left. The problem is, to compensate Fox news has ended up SO FAR TO THE RIGHT that their programs are unbearable! I was in Mexico for a week, and the only news channel in english was FOX news! Gesus, what a long week. I like to watch the news in the morning, but I ended up watching HBO instead because their coverage was so sensationalistic and pathetic. Fair and balanced my arse!

It was refreshing to be in Europe in May and watch BBC and actually see what's going on in the world. While I'm sure my home cable has the BBC somewhere (maybe channel 517 or something like that) it was nice that the BBC was readily available, and the only choice in english... It forced this American to learn a little bit about our big old world...
"FLY DELTA JETS"

VonRichtofen

Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:39 pm

Canadians: BBC World is available on regular cable now. It used to be only available on pay digital cable, but a few months ago it moved to regular cable. In Calgary it is channel 28, right beside CNN at channel 29 so it's easy to compare. As far as actual international news is concerned BBC World totally blows CNN out of the water. It makes CNN look like Inside Edition.

Kris

[Edited 2007-06-28 06:39:58]

LAXspotter

Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:13 pm

BBC world is my choice, atleast theyre not running shit about Paris Hilton all day long. They have global news, and they keep me informed, much better than any of the American Networks, CNN shows what a credible and worthy new network it is after taking care of the Paris Interview. Although i understand its about making money, ratings and so forth, i think there are far more important things the the public needs to know than how paris felt in Jail, geez.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

AirTranTUS

Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 19):

Thanks for giving a real answer. I don't even see those events on the US networks websites.
I love ASO!

mdsh00

Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:17 pm

Example:
CNN US Edition website right now
Big version: Width: 1280 Height: 800 File size: 194kb

Even this afternoon when it first broke about the White House subpoena, Chris Benoit was main headline material and the subpoena was only one of the many small headlines...great priorites.

CNN International Website
Big version: Width: 1280 Height: 800 File size: 180kb

What a difference that makes? Honestly I feel in the name of ratings, cable news networks severely dumb down the news for the local audience and perpetuate ignorance. Browsing around on CNN during the day, I find that their quality news is usually in the middle of the day when everyone is at work, or late at night when everyone is sleeping. Otherwise, it's the same sensationalist crap. On top of that, I think all US networks are horrible at reporting on Africa and parts of Asia. News stories about Africa only show the poor refugee camps, and until recently reports on South Asia never cared to show the large metropolis' like Delhi, Bombay, Karachi, etc unless they were hit by some huge disaster. Otherwise they show the filthiest and most depressing slums they can find; and then it makes Americans baffled that "those people" are able to do the same jobs.

Anyway...I have some issues with the news media

[/rant off]
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

WestJetYQQ

Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:26 pm

Quoting YWG (Reply 2):
-Paris Hilton
-Iraq
-Bush
-Car chases
-Forest Fires

And Paris is probably 80% of that.  Sad
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

Banco

Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:57 pm

You guys don't get CNN International in Canada? Totally different programming from CNN US

CNN international is quite good. CNN domestic is appalling - if you want to know what's actually happening in the world. Having said that, the situation in the UK is the same, we get BBC News 24, and we donh't get BBC World.

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 15):
I am amused that some believe that the BBC, CBC, etc are not also "biased".

The difference is that the BBC does its damnedest to try not to be biased. That's what makes it unique. How many other broadcasters commission reports on themselves to see whether they measure up to their own aspirations?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6763205.stm

They do this all the time. When they received criticism for not being even-handed over the Middle East, they investigated themselves to see if that was true, same over the Iraq War coverage. It's not perfect, it's never going to be perfect, but it tries to be the impossible, and that's why it's a more trustworthy source than the others, not because it's always maginficently even-handed and impartial, but because it wants to be.

BBC World is also the feed station for a lot of ABC's international coverage - the two of them have an arrangement to pool resources in certain situations.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

TheCol

Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:18 pm

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 17):
there is a lot you will hear on CBC for example that will not be aired on CNN as it makes the US look very bad

I used to be an avid CBC viewer. Though it seems that the CBC has biased itself more and more to the left, as well as focusing stories on their eastern audience. I still watch CBC Newsworld from time to time, because they still give the best international coverage in this country. Though, IMHO, the CBC isn't going to last another 20 years. The leadership of that station has made some extremely bad decisions over it's programming in past decade, and it won't survive on the preferences of Ontario and Quebec viewers for very long. Heck, they already lost the Olympic coverage for 2010, and that will end up being huge blow to them in the future.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

Aaron747

Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:47 pm

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 24):
What a difference that makes? Honestly I feel in the name of ratings, cable news networks severely dumb down the news for the local audience and perpetuate ignorance.

I think you're absolutely right. Now this begs the question: is the local audience really that ignorant? Which comes first, really, the cart or the horse? If a lot of Americans get their information from TV news, then it would stand to reason that they should be fed a steady diet of useful, substantial, in-context news such as that obviously featured on the CNNi website, particularly given the international environment of today. But if the cable powers that be can successfully argue they wouldn't watch it anyway, then who is at fault?

[Edited 2007-06-28 14:50:03]

babybus

Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:51 pm

It won't be long before the BBC goes the same way as the others. It gets worse every day.  Sad
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

ZakHH

Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:28 pm

Commercial news channels work the same way as any other TV channel. They provide their viewers with what they think their viewers want to see. If they succeed, they will attract many viewers. Many viewers = good revenue.

Thus, in a way, TV news is only another form of entertainment. This does not necessarily mean that what they report is wrong or biased. But why should a commercial news channel confront its viewers with stuff they don't want to see? Of course, same applies for newspapers, websites etc.
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

melpax

Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:41 pm

We get Fox News here on cable (Foxtel, part owned by you guessed it - Rupert) & compared to CNN International, BBC World & even the local version of Sky News (all of which are on cable here) it's very US-centered. Watching it, it's almost as if nowhere else exists other than the US, Mexico (if only for those pesky illegals trying to get in) & Iraq (again, only because of the war) The UK & Oz only seem to feature occaisonly as we're 'allies' in the war on terror. It's almost panic merchant news. Mind you, if there was a local version of Fox News here, we would have a perfect replacement for O'Reilly, Andrew Bolt who writes for the Herald-Sun here in Melbourne, another Murdoch rag. (this paper actually began the empire as Murdoch's father was the editor back in the 30's, before becoming what was basically Australia's cheif censor on the onset of WW2)

Also I don't like the "Missing White Woman Syndrome" incidents

What's the deal with that? That sort of crime wouldn't get that level of coverage here. again, panic merchant news.

Even the local nightly news bulletins here have a large world news componet, due in part to our large immigrant population. If you watch a local 6PM bulletin here in MEL or SYD it'd be totally different from a local bulletin in the US. The only local politics that would feature would be about the state govenment (e.g. schools, hospitals & the police here are run at the state level - the main focus of city councils here are planning issues) & if you want to watch a story about the local high school football team, you'd have to take a drive to the bush to watch a regional station.

For an idea of a local bulletin here...

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/play...53&cl=3094994&ch=885608&src=y7news

[Edited 2007-06-28 15:58:55]
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

Dougloid

Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:56 pm

Who fucking cares?

I get news feeds from the Scotsman, the Globe and Mail, the National Post, the Los Angeles Times, L'Haaretz, Al Jazeera, and a couple other special interest pubs every day.

I also get the BBC on the radio after 11:00 at night here and I usually listen to it for about an hour before I turn off the lights.

Quite simply, there is no shortage of quality news available in the US and anyone who wants it in this day and age has a lot more than we used to have back in the day when the Newark Evening News passed for serious journalism.

So WHY do all of you insist on confusing ENTERTAINMENT with NEWS and then making it an indictment and commentary on 300 million people? Do you think the British tabloids are any better????What passes for journalism in Nigeria, for heaven's sake?

For heaven's sake, people, grow up and get a life. If it offends you or you think it's stupid, and you don't care about Paris Hilton, stop watching. Turn the television off. Read a frigging book, for heaven's sake.

But stop the bitching about how uninformed Americans are and taking people to task.

All that says is that YOU'RE uninformed.

grumpy   grumpy   grumpy   grumpy 
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

Impacto
Topic Author

Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:06 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 32):
I get news feeds from the Scotsman, the Globe and Mail, the National Post, the Los Angeles Times, L'Haaretz, Al Jazeera, and a couple other special interest pubs every day.

I also get the BBC on the radio after 11:00 at night here and I usually listen to it for about an hour before I turn off the lights.

Quite simply, there is no shortage of quality news available in the US and anyone who wants it in this day and age has a lot more than we used to have back in the day when the Newark Evening News passed for serious journalism.

My point was, It was easier for me to have access to International news in Nigeria as news networks such as CNN International, BBC world and Sky news were readily available 24/7. I wasn't talking about a shortage of International news media wide, but in the main news channels in the US. You are manipulating the whole point.

So WHY do all of you insist on confusing ENTERTAINMENT with NEWS and then making it an indictment and commentary on 300 million people? Do you think the British tabloids are any better????What passes for journalism in Nigeria, for heaven's sake?

I have no clue on the point your trying to make. Do you have problems in communicating? Everyone here is entitled to his/her opinion and I think everyone here is speaking from their perspective, no one stood up and said I am speaking on behalf of the 300 million Americans. And who's comparing British tabloids with other tabloids? No one brought up the topic of tabloids in the first place but you sir. I don't understand why you want to blow this out of proportion.

For heaven's sake, people, grow up and get a life. If it offends you or you think it's stupid, and you don't care about Paris Hilton, stop watching. Turn the television off. Read a frigging book, for heaven's sake.

No sir, I think its you who needs to grow up cause it really calls for concern when someone at the age range of 55-65 gives his opinion in such an immature and uncivilized manner.

Banco

Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:27 am

Quoting Impacto (Reply 33):
someone at the age range of 55-65 gives his opinion in such an immature and uncivilized manner.

Ah no, that's not immature, that's  grumpy   old  git-speak. Once past the age of 30 you have a right to be ever more outraged by the world in general, and by all those who live on it. Big grin

max999

Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:37 am

Also I don't like the "Missing White Woman Syndrome" incidents because I do think it is the level that racism is at right now which is good considering the progress but this is mainly for ratings and this recent case is really interesting when the people involved in the case talk about it and not Nancy Grace!!. Just do not bring up the Natalie Holloway case again as its 2 freaking years old.

Good point. Missing persons are much more likely to be found if the case receives lots of media attention. However, if the missing person is not white, ugly, fat, and/or male, they're out of luck on appearing on TV.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

solarix

Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:38 am

US media stations are just sickening. I am so glad the BBC World (not the 30 min PBS blurb) and CNN International are available here via Verizon FIOS TV. I can also get CTV, CBC and Al Jazeera International the Ku band satellite when I feel the urge. I feel bad for most Americans that are stuck with cable providers that only have CNN (domestic), MSNBC and Fox News.

On the other hand, keep in mind many Americans only watch their local news. I don't know how it works in Europe, but here in the US, all cities have several local stations (CBS,FOX,ABC,NBC,UPN and independent stations) that cover news within the city/county. National and world events are briefly covered after local news. This could also be part of the problem why US citizens never hear about world events. I admit I'm guilty of it at times.
Bong Hits 4 Jesus

mdsh00

Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:44 am

Of course there are sources of quality news and like I said above, the educated public will go to those sources. But take a look back and realize that the mainstream doesn't go to those due to ignorance and wierd timings. In the past, people got their news fixes from respectable journalists like Cronkite because all they had was the evening news shows.

Even CNN international (which I admit is good) gets time domestically, just at wierd times in the day. So talking about the general public it is a combination of ignorance perpetuation of that ignorance.

RIHNOSAUR

Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:44 am

I disagree....strongly..... mainly because If I am interpreting the original poster and subsequent ones, it seems to me that the point in NOT in whether you have the POTENTIAL to watch what ever news source you want, but whether it is readily available and distributed across the masses.

Seriously Dougloid, no offense intended at all, have you ever lived in the U.S. ??? maybe you have...maybe your visits have formed your opinions, but I can tell you that the type of news reporting that is READILY available in the TV (and regular cable that most people living in the U.S. watch) is very narrow scoped, limited, feel good one sided and serves like a pill to satisfy the limited interest of the American audience.

Yes you can get anything, but how realistic is this and what is the budget limit??? I mean with an unlimited amount of $$ I can even go to the source for that matter...
its about what the mainstream is..not about the options....(Its one of the basic fundamental problems I have with conservative view points ...bu that is off topic  Smile)

Quoting Solarix (Reply 36):
I feel bad for most Americans that are stuck with cable providers that only have CNN (domestic), MSNBC and Fox News.

After reading this thread I quickly went to my local cable provider's website to see if I could get the BBC world...and unless I get the premium digital package.....and pay many $$ will I be able to watch a decent news source.
However in my basic package I have E entertainment (I can get all the paris hilton news I want ) MTV (which out of all the MTV's available its the worst...they don't even show music) and so on....

There is however public TV, which IMHO, the US population would be so much better off if they watched more of it, they have got some of the best news reports and factual info programs by far,,,

Now as has been pointed out it is not clear what comes first, but a huge factor is that the vast majority of US people do not care about what happens outside of their state, hence:

Quoting Solarix (Reply 36):
On the other hand, keep in mind many Americans only watch their local news.

Just look at this post...the majority of people responding are probably not US people....why ..because a post about not being interested, is not interesting!!!

Which is a big problem......I honestly believe that there are interesting historical and demographic reasons (theories) for this but that would get off topic. All in all, I do feel that the mainstream news in the US is really doing a dis-service to its population....
better informed populous....leads to better over all political decisions...maybe even less hatred.

cheers
particles and waves are the same thing, but who knows what that thing is...

Dougloid

Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:07 am

Why is it that all you want to do is sit in your chair up in Canada today complaining about how lame the US media is?

We KNOW that.

But yet everyone keeps watching and listening-all over the world, too.

Otherwise, how do you explain teevee reporters from Germany and Britain outside the jail waiting to get film of Paris Hilton being released from jail?

See, it's a simple idea. It's called the marketplace of ideas. If people are interested they'll vote with their dollars, but the rest of us are free to ignore anything we like.

Don't you have anything better to do with your time than fret about it? We don't need your condescension in this part of the world either.

There ARE things YOU can do.

1) Turn off the teevee.
2) Don't watch CNN.
3) Don't watch fox news
4) Don't read the National Enquirer in the checkout line at the supermarket
5) Find something else to worry about.
6) Go to the library. Pick up a book-read-study and educate yourself. I did-you can too.

Nobody here in the states cares. Neither should you.

Quoting Banco (Reply 34):
Ah no, that's not immature, that's git-speak

and yes Mr. Banco.

I AM an old guy (59 this year, although clean living has kept my dick working pretty good and I can put in thirty miles at a stretch on my bicycle without too much effort) and something of a misanthrope. Having served in the criminal courts for the last ten years or so I do not think a whole lot of my fellow humanoids or their capacity for intelligent thought.

You may remember that the anthem of my time was "Hope I die before I get old."

Well, I've known some guys who put it into practice, nobody ever seems to complain about being dead, but I'm not interested in finding out just yet.

If you're smart and live long enough you can be an old guy too.

Big version: Width: 130 Height: 97 File size: 3kb
max headroom

Banco

Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:41 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 39):
and yes Mr. Banco.

I AM an old guy (59 this year, although clean living has kept my dick working pretty good and I can put in thirty miles at a stretch on my bicycle without too much effort) and something of a misanthrope. Having served in the criminal courts for the last ten years or so I do not think a whole lot of my fellow humanoids or their capacity for intelligent thought.

You may remember that the anthem of my time was "Hope I die before I get old."

Well, I've known some guys who put it into practice, nobody ever seems to complain about being dead, but I'm not interested in finding out just yet.

If you're smart and live long enough you can be an old guy too.

Now, I remember you telling me once not to react to a bit of gentle teasing.!  Wink

Anyway, as someone who regularly wanders along to watch still stunning live performances from the Who (and yes, they still play that song) you don't need to remind me of how the old boys can still kick the arses of the young brigade time and again!

Impacto
Topic Author

Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:28 am

Why is it that all you want to do is sit in your chair up in Canada today complaining about how lame the US media is?

First of all, you can't decide for me what I should or shouldn't post in this forum. Secondly, most of the news shown in the US (like the CNN) is exactly what is shown in Canada.

Don't you have anything better to do with your time than fret about it? We don't need your condescension in this part of the world either.

There ARE things YOU can do.

1) Turn off the teevee.
2) Don't watch CNN.
3) Don't watch fox news
6) Go to the library. Pick up a book-read-study and educate yourself. I did-you can too.

What I study in school in fact has to do with the media. My minor at the University is Journalism and Mass Communication, so I have a lot to learn from those people who work on the air. If you think i was wasting my time posting this topic, why did you join? I guess its you who is wasting your time here because I have learned a lot from the people who have responded to this topic. You have better things to worry about in your life, than arguing with what a 20 year old posted.

I think am about to puke!  vomit 

oli80

Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:47 am

I know it's not a tv channel, but the BBC world service is the best station of any sort that I know of.

Give it a listen, you won't be disappointed.

Banco

Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:08 am

Quoting Oli80 (Reply 42):
but the BBC world service is the best station of any sort that I know of.

Give it a listen, you won't be disappointed.

In 33 different languages too!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/languages/

cairo

Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:45 am

WHY were most Americans for the Iraq invasion?

WHY do many Americans still think 9/11 and Saddam were related?

WHY do Americans have almost no knowledge about the Palestinian side of the story in the Israeli-Palestinian crisis?

WHY do so many Americans know where Paris Hilton spent the last few days but can not name the leaders of France, the UK or Japan?

ANSWER: the American media.

...much of the reason Americans are out of tune with the rest of the world is because of their media. There are some good points to news-sources-as-a-business, but understanding the world outside American borders is not one of them.

Cairo

mdsh00

Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:28 am

Here is an interesting article:

http://www.wired.com/culture/culture...ews/magazine/15-07/st_infoporn?rss

Quote:
A new study from the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press shows that Americans, on average, are less able to correctly answer questions about current events than they were in 1989.

The study also found that people who watch the Daily Show are more up to date on world events than those that watch FoxNews.

Any surprise?

RIHNOSAUR

Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:54 am

1) Turn off the teevee.
2) Don't watch CNN.
3) Don't watch fox news

very well indeed but you also forgot that another very important thing we CAN do is (if aware of the lack of true global coverage of events and general awareness of ones surrounding) to criticize what we deem problematic and in a state of crisis. So kudos to those who have the "huevos" to actually stand up and say something about how lame things really are....that is the only way to fix things...

If all we do is take your narrow approach called APATHY...then we fall back into the vicious cycle the original poster is trying to address.....what good is all the education if it will end up just in a library or in one's head...it becomes fully effective when it is put to use ...

The good thing is that many young people do not take your advice and actually put their knowledge to use...
...good for you IMPACTO!!!!
particles and waves are the same thing, but who knows what that thing is...

Dougloid

Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:46 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 40):
Anyway, as someone who regularly wanders along to watch still stunning live performances from the Who (and yes, they still play that song) you don't need to remind me of how the old boys can still kick the arses of the young brigade time and again!

I must tell you that back in my earlier days I ran around with a guy who played keyboards for a band known as The Myddle Klass. So one time they were playing at Summit High School in Summit New Jersey and I got a pass. This would have been, ummmmmmmm, 1967 I think. So he says "We're opening for some bunch of Brits, nobody's ever heard of them but they put on a pretty good show" and winked, "It's going to be really LOUD because they've got Marshalls. Lots of Marshalls. You absolutely have to stay til the end." Of course that was where Pete Townshend started breaking his guitar into splinters.

Quoting Impacto (Reply 41):
What I study in school in fact has to do with the media. My minor at the University is Journalism and Mass Communication, so I have a lot to learn from those people who work on the air. If you think i was wasting my time posting this topic, why did you join? I guess its you who is wasting your time here because I have learned a lot from the people who have responded to this topic. You have better things to worry about in your life, than arguing with what a 20 year old posted

Let me make a distinction here that perhaps you will understand, being an astute student of Journalism and Mass Communcation with at least one or two years of college under your belt. Parenthetically, I hope you are not as inattentive as most of my students seem to be.

Words are my trade, too, and I have a pretty good nose for when somebody's really got something important on their mind, when they're making idle conversation, or when they're just pissing and moaning about the Americans, always and forever the Americans, root of all evil and great satan deluxe. You seem to fall into that latter class. I am sure you've got plenty of like minded fellow travelers at your school, but none of that means you get to trot out the same old tired crap in public and not get called out on it.

I did not say you were wasting YOUR time.

I was trying to convey that you were wasting everyone's time talking about stuff that's been done to death, over and over and over again and acting like you went and rediscovered Newfoundland or something.

Where is that dang beating a dead horse emoticon when I need it? Oh nevermind.

You make a fundamental mistake for one so savvy in mass media as you allege. You seem to think that you can just grab the mike, open your trap and spew whatever you want and wonder why people who do not agree with you will take you to task for it.

Wonder no more. You're in public. It's called the marketplace of ideas, you've floated an idea, and that means everyone else in the market is equally entitled to say whatever he or she thinks of what you have to say, including me. You invited commentary, even if it's not what you wanted to hear. Get used to it-it's a mean old world.

Quoting Impacto (Reply 41):
think am about to puke!

You're entitled. I did enough of it when I was your age but the difference is I came by it honestly drinking Tiger Rose in the graveyard watching the trains go by.

[Edited 2007-06-29 05:07:21]

ME AVN FAN

Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:38 pm

I AM an old guy (59 this year

two years older than me, ok, and your fitness may be better than mine, BUT "old" ? possibly grumpy at times, but as a 98years old and a 99years old uncle once told me some years ago, at around 60 you are a "young man" !!  rotfl   rotfl 

Impacto
Topic Author

Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:08 pm

Quoting RIHNOSAUR (Reply 46):

very well indeed but you also forgot that another very important thing we CAN do is (if aware of the lack of true global coverage of events and general awareness of ones surrounding) to criticize what we deem problematic and in a state of crisis. So kudos to those who have the "huevos" to actually stand up and say something about how lame things really are....that is the only way to fix things..

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 47):
Words are my trade, too, and I have a pretty good nose for when somebody's really got something important on their mind, when they're making idle conversation, or when they're just pissing and moaning about the Americans, always and forever the Americans, root of all evil and great satan deluxe. You seem to fall into that latter class.

So you are basically accusing me of being Anti-American just for saying US news outlets don't cover enough International news?  sigh 

Parenthetically, I hope you are not as inattentive as most of my students seem to be.

Why does this not surprise me one bit? I really feel sorry for those kids who have to sit in a room and listen to all the garbage you have to say.

You seem to think that you can just grab the mike, open your trap and spew whatever you want and wonder why people who do not agree with you will take you to task for it.

HELLO! every member airliners.net has a right to voice their opinion on any issue especially in this section of the website. I wasn't expecting or forcing everyone to agree with me. Isn't that the point of topics like this, to hear other peoples opinion?

I don't really need your irrelevant lecture on what you think about me posting a topic like this. It quite clearly shows you have too much time on your side to type all that gibberish junk. Its really a simple topic and I can't possible think of anyway I can explain it to you more clearly for your understanding. I suggest we close this chapter for now as you seem to be a person who isn't worth debating with.