waterpolodan

Youtube Video Comments...

Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:22 am

I always used to enjoy looking at the comments posted on YouTube videos for a laugh, but recently I've found that I can no longer laugh at them. I'd say nearly half of all the comments on all videos on that entire site are misspelled, racist, and hate-filled insult fests for no real reason at all. These comments are all almost surely coming from 10-18 year old boys, based on their aggressiveness and poor quality of writing. Basically, I think that the sheer prevalence of this sort of hateful and unintelligent name calling gives us a pretty good picture of the sort of society that we live in, and it no longer makes me laugh, it scares me. I doubt anyone else will be suprised by this, as I suppose everyone else already knew that on the whole we live in an ignorant, angry world, but it's just sad to be reminded of that.

stlgph

RE: Youtube Video Comments...

Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:36 am

I know. There's something self satisfying about being called stupid by someone that misspells about 14 words or so.
Of course, my sole response to most of that is just a simple reply with correct spellings of the words in question.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

srbmod

Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:37 am

I've been noticing that as well. I've been marking as much of those type of comments as spam as I can. In the past, some of the stuff back and forth was rivalry stuff, now it's just like you described. I guessing that right now it's a bunch of bored teenagers out of school for the Summer. A lot of the garbage sounds like the typical trash talk of a teenage boy (Like calling someone or something gay.).

tsaord

Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:53 am

I was just reading this in the Chicago Suntimes, about online bullies. They feel they can say whatever they want cause no one knows who they are. They have a point.

With my videos, I just remove them.
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

Jpax

Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:04 am

On A or B videos, it turns into an A v B fight fest with no end in sight! Pretty funny, really.

sovietjet

Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:08 am

Same with videos about Russian aircraft, or rap music videos.

jamesbuk

Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:13 am

In reality its probably the geeks who sit in their rooms, have no friends and take out their crap on youtube to make themselves feel big. I always remove flaming remarks from my videos. Bit of a pain in the ass as some people just cant grow up can they? pathetic really.

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

waterpolodan

Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:26 am

The way I first noticed this was reading through comments of Formula 1 videos, of all things. You'd think that fans with a shared passion for F1 could just accept that some people have different driver preferences, but if you watch ANY video relating to Michael Schumacher or Ayrton Senna, there is a sad little war going on between their respective fans who feel that the other driver was a cheater and overrated, and they end up calling anybody who thinks otherwise some sort of racist or homosexual slur. Grow up!

bwest

Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:10 pm

And then you also have the "send this to 10 people within the next 35 seconds or you're (sic) mother will die a horrible dead (sic)" messages. As if we didn't get enough of those as spam mail already!
I love my Airport Job! :)

jycarlisle

Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:42 pm

Quoting Tsaord (Reply 3):
With my videos, I just remove them.

Like you said, I remove them, however, I also ban them from my site.

Cheers,
Jeremy Carlisle
"CHANGE IS: CLEAN PLANES AND DIRTY MARTINIS" (DL)

ajd1992

Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:05 pm

I get that on my vids, although i just delete them.

I can't see the point in doing it, i mean if you don't have anything nice to say, STHU.