flymia

Left Lane Hogs Again!?

Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:15 pm

Yes I know this topic is discussed a good amount but this time I would like to find ideas of what can been done to make people aware of this huge problem.

Today when driving on an empty highway at about 75mph I was in the left lane and pulled up behind a small Honda Civic, I waited for the car to move out of the lane so I could pass, well this car would not move! I got a little closer and flashed once. The car decides to all of sudden Brake. This is crazy, the two lanes to the right were wide opened and this person thinks he has the right to just stay in the left lane and force me to make an pass on the right which is always dangerous and illegal in some places. I hate these stupid drivers who think they have the right to control the road and the speed of traffic! Sure I was speeding but still, I should not have to make a pass on the right! I have this problem at least 2-3 times every time I drive on a somewhat non-congested highway, and people look at me like I am crazy one after I flash them a few times with my lights and pass on the right but they are the ones that are not following simple driving procedures.
So who here has seen this problem themselves? Who here would be the one who brakes because the person behind them because they want to pass?
When are people in the US going to learn LEFT LANE FOR PASSING!
Traffic flow and traffic accidents would decrease if people just learn the left lane is for passing and the other lanes are the cruising lanes. When are law enforcements or state transportation departments going to really find a solution to this annoying and dangerous problem? What solutions could there be?

"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

futurecaptain

RE: Left Lane Hogs Again!?

Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:29 pm

Quoting FlyMIA (Thread starter):
I waited for the car to move out of the lane so I could pass,

the two lanes to the right were wide opened

Pass on the right. Who cares...let the civic keep cruisin. I hate when people ride my bumper when other lanes are wide open.

I hate these stupid drivers who think they have the right to control the road and the speed of traffic! Sure I was speeding

You admit you were speeding. You complain about this when you were breaking the law too. hmm...

I should not have to make a pass on the right!

Why not? And who cares? Pass wherever you like.

I have this problem at least 2-3 times every time I drive on a somewhat non-congested highway

Drive slower and don't get so pissed at something so trivial like passing someone on the right.

So who here has seen this problem themselves?

This problem is everywhere. I usually just pass on the right and be done with it. Since when is it illegal to pass slower moving traffic on the right? I've never heard this.

LEFT LANE FOR PASSING!

Left, center, right, all the same. If the road is open who cares where you pass.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

pencrypted

Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:38 pm

i have only seen this followed once in Canada in my 5 years of driving, and that was on the veterans highway heading to ottawa. everyobody kept right except to pass. Was a site to behold.
-Maty

flymia

Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:44 pm

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 1):
Left, center, right, all the same. If the road is open who cares where you pass.

Thats the problem, people who think it is all the same but it is not.

This problem is everywhere. I usually just pass on the right and be done with it. Since when is it illegal to pass slower moving traffic on the right? I've never heard this.

It is illegal in countries that people know how to drive. The United States is a very dangerous place to drive. For example in Germany which has the non speed limit highways aka autobahn which are very safe, unless you are passing it is illegal to be in the left lane, yet traffic moves well and very safely. The passing on the left has something to do with that.

Thats the problem people dont care. Passing on the right is dangerous. Passing in the left lane is safer and if everyone would do it traffic would move much better and safer.

You admit you were speeding. You complain about this when you were breaking the law too. hmm...

When a police officer gives me a ticket for doing 75mph in a 65mph zone at 12am than we will talk. 10 over on a three lane highway at night is not going to get me a ticket unless there is a cop in a very bad mood.

You are around the same age as me and I can see your view point, but after doing some driving in rural areas and learning to drive by somewhat european standards I see highways alot different now, if only the United States could figure it out. Again with passing on the left highways would move better and be safer.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

scottieprecord

Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:02 pm

Bahhh hate that shit!! Every time I go up I-35 from San Antonio to Austin, whenever it's blocked up, there's one d-bag holding up traffic!!! We even have signs saying "Don't slow Texas down, slower traffic keep right" WTFFF

However, I've found something that works pretty well for me. I just turn on the left blinker as I'm coming up on them... People get pissed when you ride their ass or if you flash your brights, but they seem to take this one pretty well. So, I give a nice wave and drive on by. =)

They do it a lot in Europe, right? Don't see it much over here...

-Mike

flymia

Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:08 pm

Quoting Scottieprecord (Reply 4):
I just turn on the left blinker as I'm coming up on them... People get pissed when you ride their ass or if you flash your brights, but they seem to take this one pretty well. So, I give a nice wave and drive on by. =)

I will try that next time.

Good point  Smile

LH423

Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:23 pm

Pass on the right. Who cares...let the civic keep cruisin. I hate when people ride my
bumper when other lanes are wide open.

That's just it. You're not supposed to pass on the right since you spend more time in a driver's blind spot. There's a reason that you're supposed to pass on the left.

I just turn on the left blinker as I'm coming up on them...They do it a lot in Europe, right? Don't see it much over here...

Yeah, definitely more of a European thing. I'll have to try that next time.

Since when is it illegal to pass slower moving traffic on the right? I've never heard this.

In Massachusetts it's illegal to pass on the right on city streets. The wording in the driver's manual is a bit ambiguous. It doesn't say in so many words that it's "illegal" on freeways, but it's strongly advised that you stay in the right lane and use the left lane for passing only. I find in MA that rule is observed a fair amount of time but there are still a lot of idiots who stay parked in the left lane going 65-70 (the top speed most people drive outside of the immediate Boston area is 75-85) when everyone else is going 75 and having to pass them on the right.

Some people will never get it.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

futurecaptain

Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:27 pm

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 3):
Passing on the right is dangerous.

Why is passing on the right at 12am on an empty highway dangerous? Please, do tell.

andessmf

Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:28 pm

Biggest driving pet peeve I have.

Unfortunately, I have noticed that the idiots usually doing this are talking on their phone.

Can't say much more, but it really ticks me off, especially when the driver moves to a faster lane when no one is in front of them.

Sometimes, it is quicker here to drive in the slow lane during rush hour.

LOT767-300ER

Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:12 pm

Pass on the right. Who cares...let the civic keep cruisin. I hate when people ride my bumper when other lanes are wide open.

When the DMV issues license to people like you, a 16-20 year old American is when we have problems in this country.

You have no idea how to drive. Which is further supported in my cop thread.

Its dangerous to pass on the right at 3am or 3pm and should be illegal everywhere (And it already is in a majority of places...even in the USA) because people exit to the right and merge from the right. It really takes a yankee to contemplate why its dangerous to pass on the right and why its ok to do so.

You have never heard of this because drivers education in the USA is a worthless waste of time and 99% of people here do not know how to drive properly and cause traffic jams and accidents because they cant follow simple rules.

LOT767-300ER

Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:17 pm

They also slap you with a 200 Euro fine for passing on the right and call you an idiot.

Drive slower and don't get so pissed at something so trivial like passing someone on the right.

Drive to the right and stop blocking traffic, you deserve to get your behind whooped when you pull stunts like that.

Mir

Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:18 pm

Left, center, right, all the same.

No, not all the same. Pass on the left, and then get your ass back into the right lane so that if others want to pass you, they can. Or at least the center lane if it's a three lane road.

That's the way the roads are set up. And if you can't see that hanging out in the left lane is interfering with the traffic flow, perhaps it would behoove you to visit a traffic school.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

LOT767-300ER

Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:26 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 11):
No, not all the same. Pass on the left, and then get your ass back into the right lane so that if others want to pass you, they can. Or at least the center lane if it's a three lane road.

That's the way the roads are set up. And if you can't see that hanging out in the left lane is interfering with the traffic flow, perhaps it would behoove you to visit a traffic school.

I swear to god he needs to get deported to Hamburg or Gdansk By-pass and try to drive with that mentality there, he would first get a fine that would set him back a months worth of paycheck then he would get the living bejesus beat out of him at the next red light.

You recommend him traffic school. Mate hes in Oklahoma...a traffic school there teaches them how to slow down for beef cattle, not lane etiquette.

Mir

Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:31 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 12):
I swear to god he needs to get deported to Hamburg or Gdansk By-pass and try to drive with that mentality there, he would first get a fine that would set him back a months worth of paycheck then he would get the living bejesus beat out of him at the next red light.

That would work too.  Smile

-Mir

LOT767-300ER

Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:41 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 13):
That would work too.

I peeked in your profile, I saw Daytona Beach, FL and then I realized I g2g back to that craphole in 6 weeks. I need to open a beer now because reality is setting upon me!  Silly

positiveetco2

Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:47 pm

Future Captain,
You are young, so I will give you a pass. But, before you become the captain of an airliner I am riding on, I hope you mature a little bit. Those who make traffic pass them on the right are ignorant, unsafe and show a profound disrespect for those with whom they share the road.
Cheers

Arniepie

Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:26 pm

Yes I know this topic is discussed a good amount but this time I would like to find ideas of what can been done to make people aware of this huge problem.

Today when driving on an empty highway at about 75mph I was in the left lane and pulled up behind a small Honda Civic, I waited for the car to move out of the lane so I could pass,

What where you doing on the left lane on this empty highway?
If you would have kept right, like the law says (over here anyway) you would not have run into that civic in the first place.

You acuse somebody else of doing exactly the same thing as you are doing.
[edit post]

Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:22 pm

Slow moving traffic is supposed to be on the left  Wink

Arniepie

Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:50 pm

Quoting 747438 (Reply 17):
Slow moving traffic is supposed to be on the left

Sure ,in the UK that would be right but in the civilized world we drive on the right side of the road.
 Big grin
[edit post]

Go3Team

Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:01 pm

You both showed signs of aggressive driving. You for flashing him to get out of the way, and him for not moving out of the way and braking. Incidentally, both are now illegal here in VA, with stiff fines. Thank goodness, hopefully they enforce it.
Yay Pudding!

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:33 pm

However, I've found something that works pretty well for me. I just turn on the left blinker as I'm coming up on them... People get pissed when you ride their ass or if you flash your brights, but they seem to take this one pretty well. So, I give a nice wave and drive on by. =)

They do it a lot in Europe, right?

No, they do not. That's nearly as stupid as passing cars in any lane you feel like. Ever heard of stopping distance? If you ride 3 feet from someones bumper and they hit the brakes, you have nowhere to go but into the back of them. And then it's your fault, so that will been higher insurance premiums and possibly a fine and points on your licence for tailgating.
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

emiratesa345

Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:52 pm

Quoting ArniePie (Reply 16):
If you would have kept right, like the law says (over here anyway) you would not have run into that civic in the first place.

You acuse somebody else of doing exactly the same thing as you are doing.

I was wondering the same thing.

Besides, driving up on someone's rear end is a lot more dangerous than it would have been to pass them on the right.

Mark
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

Sabena332

Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:59 pm

Many, many Germans don't know this either. On Friday evening I was driving on the left lane of the A44, in front of me was some retard in his Ford Galaxy, this guy drove with exactly the same speed (120 kph) like the guy next to him on the right lane. Sure, there is a 120 kph speed limit on that part of the A44 but that doesn't mean that you can drive on the left lane with 120 while letting nobody pass. Last time I checked is the police there to enforce the speed limit and not some guy who thinks: "Here is a 120 speed limit so I drive 120 and let nobody pass because it is illegal anyway".

The same for three lane Autobahns and streets... why the heck do people drive on the middle lane when the rest of the street is completely empty? Switch the hell over to the right lane!  Angry But no wonder actually, last week I was driving on the Universitaetsstrasse in Bochum with a friend, the street was completely empty with the exception of three cars (one of them a cop car), all these three cars were driving on the middle lane despite the right lane was empty, at least the cops should be a role model and drive on the right side. I had to switch from the right lane to the left lane to pass them, if they had driven on the right lane I only had to switch to the middle lane to pass them and not to the right lane.

Way too many people are simply too friggin' stupid to drive a car, I see it every damned day and it is annoying. The traffic would flow better when some people would switch on their brains before starting their engines!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

MCOflyer

Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:04 pm

I pass on right some of the time because inconpoops do not know how to drive and stay on the right. I respect FlyMIA for this. Also, us Floridians like FlyMIA, Go3Team, MIr, I, and others can attest the majority of people who do pass people are on the right are because of tourist or ignorant people.

Maybe ANCflyer can shed some light on whether this is illegal and should we be fined when we pass people on the right. In my opinion, the people driving slow in the left lane should be fined or be given a warning.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

Arniepie

Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:30 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 23):
Maybe ANCflyer can shed some light on whether this is illegal and should we be fined when we pass people on the right. In my opinion, the people driving slow in the left lane should be fined or be given a warning.

I cannot speak for the US or with the same authority as ANCflyer but over here you definately get fined for unnecessary driving on the left (or in the middle lane) when there is ample space on the right.
I , as most other people, also get terribly annoyed when I see one of those left lane huggers driving like they exist alone on the world therefore I always make a habit driving on the left, even while speeding on an open freeway.
[edit post]

Go3Team

Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:40 pm

Also, us Floridians like FlyMIA, Go3Team, MIr, I, and others

Not from Florida...

Maybe ANCflyer can shed some light on whether this is illegal

Different states, different laws. They all should have/enforce keep right except to pass laws. I mentioned aggressive driving in an earlier post. The people that think they have the right to go as slow as they want, in any lane they want, are in fact driving aggressively. You would be suprised how many people I come up on in the center lane (in most states commercial vehicles can only use the first two lanes, if there are 3 or more). They will sit there all day, with someone beside them in the right lane, and get mad about it. I don't know about them, but I have places to be.
Yay Pudding!

jetstar

Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:50 pm

In Connecticut it is illegal to pass on the right on a 2 lane highway, 3 or more lane highway, passing on the right is ok.

Also and I assume most states have this law is traffic keeps to the right except to pass. How much this is enforced I have no idea, but I do see quite a few left lane huggers on the highway.

In Connecticut it is a $100 fine for talking on a cell phone while driving without a hands free device and this has cut down considerably the amount of drivers talking on their cell phones.

MD11Engineer

Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:21 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 22):

Many, many Germans don't know this either. On Friday evening I was driving on the left lane of the A44, in front of me was some retard in his Ford Galaxy, this guy drove with exactly the same speed (120 kph) like the guy next to him on the right lane. Sure, there is a 120 kph speed limit on that part of the A44 but that doesn't mean that you can drive on the left lane with 120 while letting nobody pass. Last time I checked is the police there to enforce the speed limit and not some guy who thinks: "Here is a 120 speed limit so I drive 120 and let nobody pass because it is illegal anyway".

The same for three lane Autobahns and streets... why the heck do people drive on the middle lane when the rest of the street is completely empty? Switch the hell over to the right lane! Angry But no wonder actually, last week I was driving on the Universitaetsstrasse in Bochum with a friend, the street was completely empty with the exception of three cars (one of them a cop car), all these three cars were driving on the middle lane despite the right lane was empty, at least the cops should be a role model and drive on the right side. I had to switch from the right lane to the left lane to pass them, if they had driven on the right lane I only had to switch to the middle lane to pass them and not to the right lane.

Way too many people are simply too friggin' stupid to drive a car, I see it every damned day and it is annoying. The traffic would flow better when some people would switch on their brains before starting their engines!

Patrick

Well. while I try to keep going on the right lane as much as possible, I have a small problem with my car (a clapped out 1989 Suzuki Samurai jeep). Max speed is 140 km/H, with the wind pushing. On Autobahns I usually go at about 120 km/h. Now this is faster than the heavy trucks (80-90 km/h), which populate the right lane, but slower than all the Mercs and Porsches. I also consider weaving in and out of the right lane to pass a truck every few hundred meters very dangerous, so I like to pass a few of them at my max speed, before I use the next bigger gap in the right lane to let those pass who are faster than me. This is not that much of a problem though anyway, because I do most of my long distance driving at night, when very few normal cars are around and the Autobahns are mostly populated by long distance trucks.
Passing on the right is highly dangerous (e.g. my car has a huge blind spot on this side, and truck drivers can see even less). So it is rightly banned in Germany and, if caught, will result in a hefty fine plus , AFAIK, a few points.
The only legal exception is if there is a congestion on ALL lanes and the traffic is forced to below 80 km/h and e.g. the right lane is a little bit faster than the other lane, essentially in stop and go traffic.

Concerning stopping distance, I have learned during driving school that you take your speedometer reading in km/h, divide it by two and you'll get your safety distance in meters, e.g. you are driving at 100 km/h, so your safety distance to the next car should be 50 meters.
This is easy to follow in Germany, since the black and white posts marking the edge of the road in Germany are 50 meters apart.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

vikkyvik

Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:30 am

Quoting LH423 (Reply 6):
I find in MA that rule is observed a fair amount of time but there are still a lot of idiots who stay parked in the left lane going 65-70 (the top speed most people drive outside of the immediate Boston area is 75-85) when everyone else is going 75 and having to pass them on the right.

checkmark 

I was driving back up to the Boston area from the Cape last night. Was cruising on 495 N, which is two lanes down south of the 24 interchange. Some guy was hogging the left lane for probably 5 miles, while passing the people on the right at maybe 2 mph relative. There were plenty of times he could have pulled into the right lane just to let me pass, but didn't. Eventually, when there was a long enough break in traffic, I passed him on the right. AS SOON as I passed him, he changed into the right lane.

It seems like a lot of people wait for someone to pass them on the right before they realize they should change lanes. Annoys the shit outta me.

Oh well.

~Vik
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

galapagapop

Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:59 am

Quoting Jetstar (Reply 26):

In Connecticut it is a $100 fine for talking on a cell phone while driving without a hands free device and this has cut down considerably the amount of drivers talking on their cell phones.

What part of CT are you driving in???????? Where I am, everyone is on their cell phone, highway, backroads, post road, everywhere, going slow, not signalling, and so forth and the cops for the most part ignore it, because if they actually pulled someone over for a cell phone without a hands free device ( which never really works either as you need to hold the phone to hit send or dial ), the person just puts the phone down and cop leaves with a warning, unless of coarse they are so brazen to actually keep on the phone while being ticketed (which was a case in my town in January with a driver).

MD11Engineer

Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:05 am

Quoting Galapagapop (Reply 29):
Where I am, everyone is on their cell phone, highway, backroads, post road, everywhere, going slow, not signalling, and so forth and the cops for the most part ignore it, because if they actually pulled someone over for a cell phone without a hands free device ( which never really works either as you need to hold the phone to hit send or dial ), the person just puts the phone down and cop leaves with a warning,

This is actually the only traffic offense I have seen the Italian police to enforce. Getting caught yakking away on a mobile phone in Italy will cost you about Euro 500.... Ouch!

In Germany the police are strict as well, but the fines are a little bit lower.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Mir

Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:14 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 28):
It seems like a lot of people wait for someone to pass them on the right before they realize they should change lanes. Annoys the shit outta me.

checkmark  Another thing that pisses me off is when I'm in the left lane passing a group of cars, and somebody behind me is obviously looking to go faster. So I look for a gap to drop into and let them go, but before I can get back into the right lane, the idiot cuts over there first and passes me there (usually while I have my signal on).

-Mir

galapagapop

Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:14 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 30):

This is actually the only traffic offense I have seen the Italian police to enforce. Getting caught yakking away on a mobile phone in Italy will cost you about Euro 500.... Ouch!

In Germany the police are strict as well, but the fines are a little bit lower.

Jan

I wish we had our fines that high, but someone would just counter sue or something saying it's a necessity, but boy would a $500+ fine curb such habits, heck why don't we add hogging left lanes, passing on the right, tailgating, and so forth to that fine bracket, surely that'd help  Silly

pelican

Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:15 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 22):
The same for three lane Autobahns and streets... why the heck do people drive on the middle lane when the rest of the street is completely empty? Switch the hell over to the right lane!

To be honest I do that, too - when it is dark an I drive more than 180kph. I imagine that I've a little more room to navigate around an obstacle on the Autobahn like deer or a broken down truck or lost cargo. And beyond 210 I seldom bother to change into the right lane... duck 

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 27):
On Autobahns I usually go at about 120 km/h. Now this is faster than the heavy trucks (80-90 km/h), which populate the right lane, but slower than all the Mercs and Porsches. I also consider weaving in and out of the right lane to pass a truck every few hundred meters very dangerous, so I like to pass a few of them at my max speed, before I use the next bigger gap in the right lane to let those pass who are faster than me.

Which is completely okay. There are two things I hate - first those people who pull out of the right lane ignoring the fast oncoming traffic and second those Idiots who want to push you from the left lane although you would have to brake and discontinue passing other cars.
I could shoot those assholes who flash their light although they can clearly see you're having another car in front overtaking cars. And when you finally have a stretch of empty Autobahn in front of you and speed up they can't follow!  banghead   crazy 

pelican

flymia

Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:23 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 9):
Its dangerous to pass on the right at 3am or 3pm and should be illegal everywhere (And it already is in a majority of places...even in the USA) because people exit to the right and merge from the right. It really takes a yankee to contemplate why its dangerous to pass on the right and why its ok to do so.

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 7):
Why is passing on the right at 12am on an empty highway dangerous? Please, do tell.

Here is your answer

Quoting LH423 (Reply 6):
That's just it. You're not supposed to pass on the right since you spend more time in a driver's blind spot. There's a reason that you're supposed to pass on the left.

Quoting ArniePie (Reply 16):

Empty I dont mean no cars at all. I mean not many cars, I already passed a few cars who were in the right lane and I was in the left lane, than maybe 15 seconds after passing those cars I came up on the civic. There is no such thing of a competley empty highway in Miami at any time of the day.

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 28):

Yes I hate that too. I notice this in other places around the US and on some of Florida two lane highways. It always seems to be a tourist rental mivivan or something that does this. But for the normal Miami local they do not know the difference, they just stay in the left lane the whole time. Really it can be a 40 or 20 year old women in her 1995 Toyota and even a few nights ago I had a middle age man in his 335 BMW who would not move over to let me pass.

jetstar

Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:42 am

What part of CT are you driving in????????

In southwestern Connecticut.

because if they actually pulled someone over for a cell phone without a hands free device ( which never really works either as you need to hold the phone to hit send or dial ), the person just puts the phone down and cop leaves with a warning

All the police officer has to do is see the driver using the cell phone. It does not matter that when he stops the vehicle the driver has already put the cell phone down. Its up to the officer to decide if a citation or a warning is to be issued.

In my town they do enforce the cell phone laws when time permits between calls.. I have a friend who is a police officer in my town and he told me that they use the cell phone and seat belt laws as the primary reason for stopping the vehicle, but when they check they sometimes find drivers with suspended licenses, outstanding arrest warrants, no registration or insurance or the wrong license plates on the vehicles. Some stops, when searching the vehicle in preparation for towing have even found drugs and weapons. So I guess its up to each town on how much they want to enforce the cell phone law.

if they actually pulled someone over for a cell phone without a hands free device ( which never really works either as you need to hold the phone to hit send or dial )

I use a hands free device all the time, I do not hold the phone, I just place it in the cup holder on the console and when it rings all I have to do is look down momentarily and push the talk button.

scottieprecord

Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:47 am

Quoting BHXFAOTIPYYC (Reply 20):
No, they do not. That's nearly as stupid as passing cars in any lane you feel like. Ever heard of stopping distance? If you ride 3 feet from someones bumper and they hit the brakes, you have nowhere to go but into the back of them. And then it's your fault, so that will been higher insurance premiums and possibly a fine and points on your licence for tailgating.

Haha... I'm saying this is an alternative to tailgating. You don't have to be right on their ass for them to see the blinker.

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 10):
They also slap you with a 200 Euro fine for passing on the right and call you an idiot.

How is that illegal? I'm saying turn on your left blinker, they usually move over to the right lane, and then you pass them in the lane you were already in...

-Mike

futurecaptain

Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:07 am

Quoting LH423 (Reply 6):
You're not supposed to pass on the right since you spend more time in a driver's blind spot.

You're saying you don't check your blind spot before you merge lanes? That's just as unsafe as anything else in this topic.

because people exit to the right and merge from the right

Not all the time. In OK there can be miles of exits on the left of the highway.

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 12):
Mate hes in Oklahoma...

I'll be the first to admit Oklahoma drivers suck. I'm glad I'm not one of them. I learned to drive in the wide open deserts of Arizona. Pass on the right, pass on the left. All the same when you are trying to get home, staring at the endless desert.

A332

Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:23 am

Welcome to my world... every day I make it home quicker by passing on the right and taking the supposed 'slow lanes' home during my commute... the left lane is filled with ignorant idiots who do not know the rules of the road or how to drive...

I see why Americans like to pack weapons in their vehicles... man, I wish!
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

LOT767-300ER

Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:32 am

Quoting Go3Team (Reply 19):
You both showed signs of aggressive driving. You for flashing him to get out of the way, and him for not moving out of the way and braking. Incidentally, both are now illegal here in VA, with stiff fines. Thank goodness, hopefully they enforce it.

Everything is illegal in VA when it comes to driving...lets face it you get raped for having a detector there for christs sake  Silly

I pass on right some of the time because inconpoops do not know how to drive and stay on the right. I respect FlyMIA for this. Also, us Floridians like FlyMIA, Go3Team, MIr, I, and others can attest the majority of people who do pass people are on the right are because of tourist or ignorant people.

In the case of Daytona, its people from Ontario and Quebec.

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 37):
Not all the time. In OK there can be miles of exits on the left of the highway.

I know what its like, ive been to Oklahome and 46 other states. It still is dangerous as you dont know what can merge from the right at any given time.

Quoting Scottieprecord (Reply 36):
How is that illegal? I'm saying turn on your left blinker, they usually move over to the right lane, and then you pass them in the lane you were already in...

Its illegal to pass on the right in most places in this world...btw most Americans dont have a clue what that means when you do that.

ShyFlyer

Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:35 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 31):
Another thing that pisses me off is when I'm in the left lane passing a group of cars, and somebody behind me is obviously looking to go faster. So I look for a gap to drop into and let them go, but before I can get back into the right lane, the idiot cuts over there first and passes me there (usually while I have my signal on).

I hate that as well. Not only is it rude, it is dangerous. I was almost clipped my some jerk-off doing that. Had contact been made, it could have got messy.
I lift things up and put them down.

57AZ

Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:41 am

It is illegal in countries that people know how to drive.

Here in Arizona, passing on the right is permissible as long as it is not prohibited by posted sign or ordinance and the roadway has at least three travel lanes in the direction that you are going. I always stay in the middle or right hand lane unless passing or traffic flow (ie. highway construction lane shifts) dictate using the left lane.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

flymia

Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:47 am

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 37):
I'll be the first to admit Oklahoma drivers suck. I'm glad I'm not one of them. I learned to drive in the wide open deserts of Arizona. Pass on the right, pass on the left. All the same when you are trying to get home, staring at the endless desert.

Your one of the good drivers but you dont see a problem with passing on the right? Try driving in Miami for a few hours and not come close to running over some pedestrian in the middle of the highway or street, a chicken running across the street, dogs, cars going 45mph in the left lane on the highway, people taking two lanes, people making right turns from the left lane, red means go etc... Learning to drive on the wide open deserts sounds like a real challange.

Quoting A332 (Reply 38):
I see why Americans like to pack weapons in their vehicles... man, I wish!

Great thing about living in the State of Florida  Smile

mdsh00

Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:48 am

Thats the problem people dont care. Passing on the right is dangerous. Passing in the left lane is safer and if everyone would do it traffic would move much better and safer.

It would but then some of the freeways are so wide around here that the left lane loses some of its meaning.

Haha, seems a lot of people would hate it here in SoCal because people passing on the right is pretty common over here. Partly because of dumbasses that are yapping on their phone and have no awareness of their surroundings, old people, or Asian ladies. Then again ive been passed up by people on the right who feel like my 80mph speed is too slow for them.

Definitely the "left lane for passing" concept is pretty usless here. It's not even really stressed on the traffic exams.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

LOT767-300ER

Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:01 am

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 43):
Haha, seems a lot of people would hate it here in SoCal because people passing on the right is pretty common over here. Partly because of dumbasses that are yapping on their phone and have no awareness of their surroundings, old people, or Asian ladies. Then again ive been passed up by people on the right who feel like my 80mph speed is too slow for them.

I think that might have been me passing you  Silly

Asian ladies? Sovietjet can enlighten you on the situation of asians and driving in Chicagoland.

The reaction time of an average woman in her Lexus IS330 from Pakistan or India equals that of a drunk 13 year old. Thats what happens when the only car you ever been in is made by Hindustan Motor Works or Mahindra in the passanger seat and then you start driving on the interstate in Chicago where people stroll at 85mph on the left lane.

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 43):
Definitely the "left lane for passing" concept is pretty usless here. It's not even really stressed on the traffic exams.

Neither is it enforced by cops where it should be.

ACDC8

Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:05 am

Just posted this pic in another thread, but I'll post it again. Page 28 of our Provincial driving exam text book ....

KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS, its the freakin' law! But why is not enforced? Oh thats right, because then the RCMP will be getting tickets for cruising the left lane looking for people speeding, because speeding is breaking the law and more dangerous than jumping out of a plane without a parachute ....  Yeah sure
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

asuflyer05

Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:09 am

Has anyone from the New York area noticed that the guy who parks himself in the left lane is inevitably the same person who STOPS in the EZPASS lane?

Sabena332

Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:41 am

Quoting Pelican (Reply 33):
To be honest I do that, too - when it is dark an I drive more than 180kph. I imagine that I've a little more room to navigate around an obstacle on the Autobahn like deer or a broken down truck or lost cargo.

I do it as well when the Autobahn is completely empty and when I fancy a high-speed ride, I was talking about "normal" Autobahn conditions in the morning, afternoon or early evening when there is traffic.

The A44 is prefect for driving in the middle lane at night: Three lanes between Kreuz Dortmund Sued and Kreuz Bochum/Witten + little to no traffic after midnight because this part of the A44 is just a few kilometers long, I finally had the A8 at 250kph there two weeks ago.  goodvibes 

By the way, I am not talking about the same parts of the A44 in this reply and reply #22. This Autobahn is not one piece of street but interrupted in between so the traffic conditions vary completely.

Here is the nice part of the A44  cheerful :

... and here is the part from hell (avoid it whenever you can!):

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

FlyDeltaJets87

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:36 am

Today when driving on an empty highway at about 75mph I was in the left lane and pulled up behind a small Honda Civic,

So if you were on the empty highway driving down the left lane, who were you passing that you needed to be in the left lane?

Who here would be the one who brakes because the person behind them because they want to pass?

I am the one who brakes when you ride my ass. There's no need to, especially when I already drive 75 to 80 mph on the highway (It's 70 mph speed limit on I-95 in Florida, at least the part I drive the most frequently). If the highway is empty, pass on the right. I do make an effort to get over to the right lane if I catch someone in the mirror driving up behind me at a much faster speed. But sometimes I don't know it till the person is right up behind me. If they're a reasonable distance off, I will move over but. But if they're an ass and decide to get on my bumper trying to either get me to speed up or moves over certainly gives me no reason to be courtesous to the person behind me, so I make them pass on the right.

And you are sure as hell to get a brake check from me if you decide to ride my rear bumper and it's obvious I can't go anywhere because there's traffic in front of me in both lanes that I can't pass. Better yet, I have more fun downshifting rather than hitting the brakes because there I just slow down, but no brake lights to warn the guy behind me.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

AirCop

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:44 am

When a police officer gives me a ticket for doing 75mph in a 65mph zone at 12am than we will talk.

Just two points 1) you just given the police a reason to stop you for possible DUI. 2) the worst two lanes to drive in on a freeway at night is the far left and far right lanes, because it there is a wrong way driver out there that the two lanes he/or she will be in.