WunalaYann
Topic Author

International Rugby - What Is Going On?

Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:37 pm

Hey all,

The series of meaningless games continues. Stone-handed All Blacks lose to the Wallabies, the Springboks send a C side to Australia, etc. And those same three teams were criticising northern hemisphere teams for fielding nonsense teams during the summer/winter tours...  scratchchin 

Is there any point in watching the rest of the Tri Nations championship? Is it worth even playing them?

What the devil is going on?  banghead 

Opinions on the state of pro rugby everyone?

Cheers.

Derico

RE: International Rugby - What Is Going On?

Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:52 pm

''International Rugby- What is going on?''

We've been asking that very question for 10 years now.

Signed,
Argentina  yes 
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

freckles

Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:24 pm

Quoting WunalaYann (Thread starter):
Opinions on the state of pro rugby everyone?

England's rugby state = dreadful.

World Cup soon - i think the real competition is how quickly they can get knocked out.

Shame that.

WunalaYann
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:26 pm

True.

Now if we could get some answers, or at least possible courses of action to remedy the current situation, that would be great. Not that Millar or Lapasset would give a monkey's, but constructive discussion remains a good way to promote ideas.  Smile

Hey, not my fault if half of the Pumas play for Stade Français...  Wink

Buena anda,

Y.

VHVXB

Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:29 pm

Stone-handed All Blacks lose to the Wallabies

A very poor game by both teams and it eventually cost one team in the end. What surprised me the most was the All Blacks inability to score any points in the second half.

the Springboks send a C side to Australia

The Boks intentions are elsewhere the World Cup

N1120A

Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:29 pm

Quoting Freckles (Reply 2):

Great, does that mean we will only get beat by 50?

Signed,

The Drunken Frat Boys AKA, USA Rugby.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Banco

Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:42 pm

Stone-handed All Blacks lose to the Wallabies

It's getting near to a World Cup. The All Blacks are bound to start practising for their main choke in about three months time.  Wink
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

WunalaYann
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:04 pm

Quoting Freckles (Reply 2):

World Cup soon - i think the real competition is how quickly they can get knocked out.

To be honest, England is my darkhorse. I think they are very underrated. If Wilkinson is healthy, they have a couple of blokes in the back who can make a difference. The forward pack will be rock-solid as usual so they have the ingredients to make a good run: less pressure, element of surprise and fundamentally sound team.

I say the semi-finals are definitely doable, and a 3rd place finish would probably be within reach.

Cheer up, overall I think England is better than Australia and South Africa.  Smile

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 4):
A very poor game by both teams and it eventually cost one team in the end. What surprised me the most was the All Blacks inability to score any points in the second half.

The trademark of two teams still looking for chemistry and combinations. And the All Blacks had to lose a game at some stage. But I definitely agree with you, a poor outing on both sides. And the fans did not make a mistake. 21,000 short of capacity at the G. Shameful. covereyes 

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 4):
The Boks intentions are elsewhere the World Cup

In which case they urgently need to find themselves halves and three quarters who can actually finish a 4-on-2. Hopeless. They probably have the best tight five in the game but that is not enough anymore.

Should I mention France or do we agree not to shoot at an ambulance?  silly 

WunalaYann
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:12 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 6):
The All Blacks are bound to start practising for their main choke in about three months time.

I do not know what is worse... The fact that such a crumble seems unthinkable or the fact that you might very well be right?  gasp 

WunalaYann
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:13 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 5):
Great, does that mean we will only get beat by 50?

30 would be a more realistic outcome. Though on a good day...

freckles

Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:45 pm

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 7):
If Wilkinson is healthy, they have a couple of blokes in the back who can make a difference.

Yes, he will be good for about 10 minutes, and then the cleverer teams will just knock him down again as they know that he's the ticket to getting points on the board for England - because he can score penalties/conversions and even though they are 3 points, i've seen teams win on penalties alone. As soon as he's injured, I think that they'll go downhill. In a more optimistic view, i think he probably could do pretty well for England as long as he is fit and up to his normal hard hitting tackles standard.

Cheer up, overall I think England is better than Australia and South Africa.

I disagree - if you look at their record then it's pretty obvious what England are capable of.

But i suppose we'll see - you never know it might not be as bad as some of us think.

Morgan

WunalaYann
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:55 pm

Quoting Freckles (Reply 10):
i've seen teams win on penalties alone.

Yes, e.g. France at Twickenham in '05...  Wink

I know, cheap shot.

e probably could do pretty well for England as long as he is fit and up to his normal hard hitting tackles standard.

Honestly, I think this is exactly what he should NOT do. His heavy tackles are the reason why his shoulders are begging for mercy. Come to think of it, he is only 27 and has had as much surgery as Michael Jackson. Wilkinson does not need to tackle so hard. Lewis Moody and Mike Tindall are there to do just that. Spare him, let him play is passing and kicking game and things should be fine.  Smile

I disagree - if you look at their record then it's pretty obvious what England are capable of.

Good point. Though if you go by records then the All Blacks should have won every World Cup, except maybe '91. Yet they have won "only" one and been to "only" two Finals. As opposed to the Wallabies who, with a definitely less brilliant record, have won two and been to three Finals.

It is about being ready when it matters, just like England was in '03. Again, I am not saying England will win. I do not think they will. But I think they are vastly overlooked and will make some noise. They have a super tough draw (SA and Samoa) which means they will be going full steam when/if they reach the Quarterfinals.

And again, it is just a personal opinion. Hey, when an French-Australian gives support to England you should take it and run away with it  silly .

Cheers.

freckles

Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:05 pm

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 11):

It is about being ready when it matters, just like England was in '03. Again, I am not saying England will win.

Ah that was a brilliant world cup for them - enjoyable to watch too, some good rugby. I don't think they will win, but hopefully i guess if they can perk up their game, and prepare themselves they should get somewhere - I think AUS will.

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 11):
And again, it is just a personal opinion. Hey, when an French-Australian gives support to England you should take it and run away with it silly .

And yes, I know. Cheers  Wink

WunalaYann
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:30 pm

Hey Morgan,

Simple question: do you play yourself?

You seem to know a lot about rugby. And no, I will not indulge into a classic sexist comment such as "for a girl".  Wink

Do you follow rugby closely?

Cheers.

VHVXB

Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:56 pm

The trademark of two teams still looking for chemistry and combinations

The All Blacks already have this, though they were unsettled with injuries over the weekend. Though the choice for scrum half is wrong IMO.

And the fans did not make a mistake. 21,000 short of capacity at the G. Shameful

LOL come on this is rugby union in Melbourne. Many of the fan

Cheer up, overall I think England is better than Australia and South Africa

rotfl  Surely your joking?

freckles

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:01 pm

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 13):
do you play yourself?

I don't hahahaha ! And no worries about a sexist comment because i make it all the time, it's meant to be a sport for men, not that i mind women playing. My brother plays and has since '97 or so, so i've been on tours etc with him and i used to go to every match.

Do you follow rugby closely?

I wouldn't say closely, and i barely follow club rugby. I used to have a fascination (whether it was for his rugby or the way he looks  Wink) with Wilko in '03 when there was a lot of hype so i followed Newcastle but i've never seen him play. I only follow it if i can be bothered in truth.. but i know a fair amount about it!!

WunalaYann
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:09 pm

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 14):
Surely your joking?

No I am not. But I guess only a direct confrontation during the World Cup will settle this...  biggrin  Or a few too many pints at Bridie's. Your pick, mate.

Quoting Freckles (Reply 15):
(whether it was for his rugby or the way he looks Wink)

Now we are getting to the core of the subject...  silly  Anyway, congrats to you on your knowledge (and, I am sure, your gigantic Wilko posters collection)!

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 14):
LOL come on this is rugby union in Melbourne. Many of the fan

Do you know that the world record for attendance at a rugby game is held by the MCG? For the first game of the '97 Bledisloe Cup... Sometimes I just don't understand Melburnians... *sigh*

freckles

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:14 pm

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 16):
I am sure, your gigantic Wilko posters collection)!

Haha !! I suppose i did have a crush on him, and there wasn't a whole scrapbook of pictures of him  laughing   Wink Oh well, old times i suppose. I've lost respect for him though, don't know why but i'm not as  hearts  about him anymore.
Lost his young good looks haha.

Banco

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:33 pm

You seem to know a lot about rugby. And no, I will not indulge into a classic sexist comment such as "for a girl".

Plenty of women at rugby matches, you know. Besides, let's be honest about one thing; when the referee blows up for a penalty in the scrum, a novice in the stands has as much of a clue as to why as an expert, male or female! The most frequently heard conversation in every ground is "What was that for?", "Dunno, mate" or French, Spanish, Italian, Afrikaans variations on the same thing.  Wink

Anyway, I'm married to someone who yelled "Come on England, this lot are shit!" amongst 70,000 Welshmen at the Millennium stadium in Cardiff.  Yeah sure

Andreas

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:38 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 18):
I'm married to someone who yelled "Come on England, this lot are shit!"

Jesus Christ...I guess I'll have to re-think my personal situation  Wow!
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

VHVXB

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:54 pm

Anyway, I'm married to someone who yelled "Come on England, this lot are shit!" amongst 70,000 Welshmen at the Millennium stadium in Cardiff.

rotfl  You could have reminded her that was the case several years ago

Do you know that the world record for attendance at a rugby game is held by the MCG?

Interesting though quite a few would have travelled from NSW and QLD and from NZ. Im not sure how many Melbournians would actually go to the game.

No I am not. But I guess only a direct confrontation during the World Cup will settle this...

Well If all goes to plan England will meet Australia in the QTR finals

Banco

Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:00 pm

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 20):
You could have reminded her that was the case several years ago

Unfortunately, England were losing at the time - the first Welsh win in God knows how many years. Probably for the best. As a true man, I was hiding after she yelled that anyway.  Wink

Do you know that the world record for attendance at a rugby game is held by the MCG?

What is it? And will that be challenged once Twickenham is completed?

VHVXB

Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:22 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 21):

What is it? And will that be challenged once Twickenham is completed?

ok here it is - Bledisloe Cup, Rugby Union Test Match, Australia v New Zealand on July 26 set a new record Australian Rugby crowd of 90,119.
http://www.mcg.org.au/default.asp?pg=historychronology&page=8

Banco

Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:25 pm

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 22):
set a new record Australian Rugby crowd of 90,119

Ah. Twickenham will be about 83,000 capacity, which does make it the largest rugby ground in the world.

ZKSUJ

Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:30 pm

Let me be the first to admit that NZ could not get the basics right on Saturday night, with our handling errors and penalty count we deserved to loose. In my opinion, if we judge games by the whole 80 minute performance NZ should not have won against South Africa as well. The games against Canada and France were frustrating to watch as a spectator as in every single game this year, we have managed to throw away 2-3 try scoring opportunities (at least) per game because someone in our team cannot catch the ball when it counts.

The All Blacks against Australia were static and backwards. They did not understand the concept of kicking the ball into the oppositions half for territorial advantage. Instead, they constantly tried to run it out from their own half and handling errors gave away possesion. The Wallabies defence was great, For much of the game the All Blacks did not make the advantage line, but yet instead of kicking the ball to turn the Ozzies around we chose to run the ball (again).

The loss is a great wake up call for NZ. It shows us that we are human and that we cannot just win a game by turning up. It is a good reality check for a sometimes overconfident team and public. I just hope we learn from this and don't become cocky before our world cup games (i.e 1999 was the worst)

I'm sick of hearing the captain say "the boys played well" week in and week out when the stats show an average of 15 handling errors in each game on average.

Yes, NZ is going through a phase where our best number 13's seem to be injured, but coughing up tries bacause we can't catch is no excuse. And this sort of error count WILL loose us close games when it counts. I hope the NZ team wake up and get back and execute the basics. Because we all know that when all of the NZ guys come out to play with minimal erros and a fully fit team, we are very hard to beat indeed.

Rant Over, and that being said, Go th All blacks in the RWC

That being said, NZ also need to nail their shots at goal. Carter's kicking form has not been the best as of late. I hope this changes soon.

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 4):
What surprised me the most was the All Blacks inability to score any points in the second half.

It didnt suprise me, we played crap. Absolute crap. You guys deserved to win hands down and well done to Mortlock and his men

Quoting Banco (Reply 6):
The All Blacks are bound to start practising for their main choke in about three months time

I speak for everyone in this country. I freakin hope not thiis time around. It's been like 4 in a row now...

I thought it was at Stadium Australia in 2000. NZ vs Australia, I remember that game, Jonah Lomu went in 3 minutes from full time to win us the game. The crowd was 109,000 + if I remember correctly (very close to 110,000)

freckles

Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:33 pm

Anyway, I'm married to someone who yelled "Come on England, this lot are shit!" amongst 70,000 Welshmen at the Millennium stadium in Cardiff. Yeah sure

Hahahaa, oh dear. I'm a woman - and i've had my fair share of embarrassing yelling at rugby matches - but that is something i would've loved to see.
One of my favourite times at a rugby match, when i took my friend along because my brother couldn't come and she shouted a teams name, and they weren't even playing.. I can't remember who was playing, wasps and someone i think, but it was hilarious and so so embarrassing.

SpinalTap

Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:33 pm

The All Blacks played very averagely in the weekend, still lots of handling errors, Daniel Carter still isn't up to his best, his goal kicking was below par and he only showed one small glimpse of his top-class running game, we need a centre (I still don't rate Toeva and we don't have a suitable backup) and we could do with one of the better locks back to replace Flavell. Overall I think the team lacked mental toughness, you could tell we had lost the game after Australia's first try even though we were still ahead on the scoreboard at that time, playing with 14 men is no excuse. I just hope that this will the wakeup call that they need before the world cup.
"I get what they call a stipend, a stipend is like money but its such as small amount they don't really call it money"

Banco

Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:40 pm

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 24):
wake up call

Quoting SpinalTap (Reply 26):
the wakeup call

Any more euphemisms for "We've been stuffed" you want to trot out?  Wink

Steve332

Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:47 pm

The 1st Irishman to post in a thread about rugby!!!!! Anyway I have a feeling France will do it the home advantage is a huge boost and for some reason I think NZ will slip somewhere, Maybe by resting some players for Scotland or something like that, now I'm not saying thats going to happen but I just cant see it being a straight forward WC.
On to Ireland and I'll be happy and proud if we get to the 1/2 final, after the heartbreak of the Six Nations (Try awarded at the death and I mean the very very death of the France v Scotland match that cost us, I'm still bitter about it and also Skrelas injury time try at Croke Park to deny us the Grand Slam) but we'll need ot beat France in Paris or else we'll most likely end up with NZ in the quarter finals. To be honest I think England will be gone in the quarters, They'll more than likely get Australia and they are just going to be too strong this time round and they'll surely remember 03'

ZKSUJ

Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:52 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 27):
Any more euphemisms for "We've been stuffed" you want to trot out

I think if you read both our posts you know its what we mean  Wink We were beaten fair and square, the result you expect when you play lethargicly

Banco

Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:02 pm

Quoting Steve332 (Reply 28):
To be honest I think England will be gone in the quarters,

Probably. Their aim has to be to just get that far and see what happens. After all, Australia weren't great last time around and they got to the final where they played unbelievably well.

Ireland remain a good side, but you always wonder whether they have the self-belief to beat the really big teams. Not the Frances or Englands, they play them so often that familiarity breeds contempt, but the southern hemisphere ones. I just feel that whilst more than capable of turning over any of them, Ireland will freeze.

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 29):
We were beaten fair and square, the result you expect when you play lethargicly

Yes. But it's always amusing to read that type of thing, because of what you don't say - which is "How the hell did we lose? Australia are crap, completely incompetent, all All Black players should be taken out and shot for daring to lose a game like that, against a bunch of complete no-hopers" etc etc. "Wake up call" implies all of that, don't you think?  Wink

VHVXB

Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:19 pm

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 24):
I thought it was at Stadium Australia in 2000. NZ vs Australia, I remember that game, Jonah Lomu went in 3 minutes from full time to win us the game. The crowd was 109,000 if I remember correctly (very close to 110,000)

You right. Jonah's tried occured in injury time which one the game for the ABs

World record crowd in rugby union - 109,874 Bledisloe Cup 2000
http://www.telstrastadium.com.au/index.aspx?link_id=1.109

Quoting SpinalTap (Reply 26):
and we could do with one of the better locks back to replace Flavell

What happened to mullet man Jason Eaton? He is a great player and ideal replacement for Ali Williams who is injured if i'm not mistaken.

ZKSUJ

Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:29 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 30):
Australia are crap, completely incompetent, all All Black players should be taken out and shot for daring to lose a game like that, against a bunch of complete no-hopers" etc etc. "Wake up call" implies all of that, don't you think?

I see your point and yes come to think about it thats what it means. But I wouldn't say they (Oz) are crap. They are like the Boks and the French, they have the potential to beat teams on any given day. (that and the fact that history shows that the Blacks do tend to cough up when it counts  Wink )

And alot of us here would like some names and positions to be re-looked at and re-adjusted...

Personal Opinion - McAlistair at centre among other things. Not good. The position does not suit him IMO

Banco

Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:33 pm

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 32):
that and the fact that history shows that the Blacks do tend to cough up when it counts

Oh, not always! Only in 1991, 1995, 1999, 2003....  Wink

Besides, it's always entertaining waiting for the new excuse. The team being poisoned is the best one yet though...

VHVXB

Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:53 pm

And alot of us here would like some names and positions to be re-looked at and re-adjusted...

Scrum half is one that needs to be looked at IMO

Personal Opinion - McAlistair at centre among other things. Not good. The position does not suit him IMO

Your not the only but then again who is a good enough replacement?

Quoting Banco (Reply 33):
The team being poisoned is the best one yet though...

Isn't that the excuse the English team used after the world cup  Wink

Banco

Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:55 pm

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 34):
Isn't that the excuse the English team used after the world cup

The one we won? Hmm. It might explain how on earth Australia were still in it after 100 minutes against a vastly superior side.  snooty   Wink

VHVXB

Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:12 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 35):
The one we won? Hmm. It might explain how on earth Australia were still in it after 100 minutes against a vastly superior side.

lol, no not that. I was talking about the general decline of English rugby after the win.

Steve332

Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:39 pm

but the southern hemisphere ones. I just feel that whilst more than capable of turning over any of them, Ireland will freeze

Ireland remain a good side, but you always wonder whether they have the self-belief to beat the really big teams. Not the Frances or Englands, they play them so often that familiarity breeds contempt, but the southern hemisphere ones. I just feel that whilst more than capable of turning over any of them, Ireland will freeze

Very true that mate, very true..... Perfect example is the recent match with France, we tought we had it won and lose posession then we froze we didnt kow what to do and Grand Slam was gone before it even started! But we did however beat Aus and SA as recently as last november and we beat them well so we've certiantly been progressing well over the past 2 or 3 years. If we peak at the WC it could be a great month but I cannot see us winning, my money's on France.

SpinalTap

Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:13 am

Scrum half is one that needs to be looked at IMO

Do you think Weepu is better than Kelleher?

We have to give Evans of McAlister a go at 1st five, Dan Carter should spend the time practicing goal kicking, drop goals and positional kicks that don't go out on the full. If none of the other locks are back I would play Filipo, Flavell did not have a good game on Saturday. Conrad Smith appears to be back in action so we have a centre http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4114754a10295.html
Great pic:

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 31):
What happened to mullet man Jason Eaton? He is a great player and ideal replacement for Ali Williams who is injured if i'm not mistaken.

This is the injury status of some of the AB's top locks:
"Jason Eaton has anterior cruciate ligament damage, as does James Ryan. Meanwhile, Ali Williams suffered a broken jaw in the weekend playing against France and Keith Robinson has a torn calf muscle." (From NZ Hearld)
"I get what they call a stipend, a stipend is like money but its such as small amount they don't really call it money"

ZKSUJ

Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:07 am

Your not the only but then again who is a good enough replacement?

Well for a start, I personally think that leaving Mils at 13 and bringing Evans into 15 would have been a better option. It gives us a platform at least, while this is not the best combination as well, I feel it would have been better than throwing a person who is a 10/12 into the 13 jersey. Also Toeava is better than nothing, and Maa Nonu though he coughs the ball up alot can make the tackles when needed

Quoting Banco (Reply 33):
The team being poisoned is the best one yet though...

I remeber that. It was classic  Wink

Quoting SpinalTap (Reply 38):

I personally rate Kelleher ahead of Weepu. But I would like to see how Brendan Leonard goes as the replacement halfback. Weepu threw away 1 or 2 golden try scoring opportunities on Saturday (I thought so anyway).

Another thing I didn't like was Jerry Collins Passing game. You would see him run sideways from time to time, get isolated and give the pill away. And on a few occasions, he would run sideways and then pass to a player who was not running on to the ball. That player would have a standing start and loose ground when the defence drove him back.

Main things though, kicking the ball (For territory and goal), Catching the ball, Running Forward not sideways, and most importantly not being overconfident (We should learn from 1999 and 2003). I know it is easier said than done, but these guys have shown that they can do it.

WunalaYann
Topic Author

Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:11 pm

Conrad Smith appears to be back in action so we have a centre

I was getting desperate to read Smith's name on someone's list. Yes, I think Conrad Smith is a very good alternative to Aaron Mauger. Though I would not put the two together on the same line (two playmakers), I think Smith, just like Mauger is the perfect match for a wall-breaker in the Nonu/Toeava type.

In France, Mauger and Smith would be called 1st centres and Nonu and Toeava would be 2nd centres (inside/outside). Traditionally, inside centres bring kicking relief and passing support to the fly half while outside centres are more of the finisher's type.

Ok, I am re-inventing the wheel here so I will stop, everybody's yawning.  biggrin 

Aaaanyway, good to know that Smith is being considered, I thought everybody had forgotten about him.

Nick Evans would be my pick over McAlister at fly, and I think Muliaina is far superior to MacDonald at fullback. More complete, and much quicker with his clearing kicks...  Yeah sure

Cheers.

andz

Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:25 pm

overall I think England is better than Australia and South Africa

Yes we saw that on England's recent tour here...
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Banco

Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:51 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 41):

Whilst I would query whether England are better than either of those, you can't remotely use that tour of the England 4th XV as justification. Hell, I was one injury away from being called up for it myself.  Yeah sure

yowza

Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:59 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 41):

hahaha

This RWC is a four horse race, the tri-nations teams and France. Beyond that there does not appear to be a tremendous amount of strength coming from anywhere.

I'm assuming the All Blacks will shit the bed as they seem to do every world cup. Sad but likely.
The Aussies and France are hard to predict, on their day they can beat anyone, just ask the All Blacks.

I think if SA smarten up they have the personnel to bring this one home.

GO bokke!

YOWza

andz

Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:11 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 42):
England 4th XV

Thre is no "remarks" column on the trophy!
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

WunalaYann
Topic Author

Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:17 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 42):
you can't remotely use that tour of the England 4th XV as justification.

I agree with that, hence this thread. Remember that during the 2003 Tri Nations, the All Blacks demolished the Springboks by 40 points in PRETORIA!!  eyepopping  Yet I never heard anything about South Africa being pushovers for the '03 World Cup. And I watched that game, it was simply ridiculous. And South Africa had their A-side on the pitch.

Quoting YOWza (Reply 43):
I think if SA smarten up they have the personnel to bring this one home

What does that mean? South Africa need to get themselves actual first rate three quarters, for sure... Otherwise Banco will get the call at second five-eighth...  biggrin 

This RWC is a four horse race

What about Ireland and Argentina? Not to mention England, of course...

Let us not forget that the Tri Nations teams will have played hugely intense games every weekend throughout July and August. How much of an impact will this grinding schedule have on their conditioning come October?  sly 

Cheers.

SpinalTap

Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:58 am

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 40):
I was getting desperate to read Smith's name on someone's list. Yes, I think Conrad Smith is a very good alternative to Aaron Mauger. Though I would not put the two together on the same line (two playmakers), I think Smith, just like Mauger is the perfect match for a wall-breaker in the Nonu/Toeava type.

In France, Mauger and Smith would be called 1st centres and Nonu and Toeava would be 2nd centres (inside/outside). Traditionally, inside centres bring kicking relief and passing support to the fly half while outside centres are more of the finisher's type.

Ok, I am re-inventing the wheel here so I will stop, everybody's yawning.

Aaaanyway, good to know that Smith is being considered, I thought everybody had forgotten about him.

Nick Evans would be my pick over McAlister at fly, and I think Muliaina is far superior to MacDonald at fullback. More complete, and much quicker with his clearing kicks...

Cheers.

You are getting me very confused, please speak NZ rugby  Wink
Mauger is what we in NZ would call a 2nd 5/8 (No 12, what others call an "inside centre")
In NZ no 13 is centre (what others refer to as "outside centre")

Are you proposing positional changes because currently:
Smith, Toeva and Nonu have played at centre (13)
Mauger has played at 2nd 5/8 (12)

McAlister has also played at 12 (as well as 13 last weekend, and also 10). I would probably pick Evans at 10 too because he is lacking game time, McAlister is good but he can back up 10 and 12 well (13 averagely)

At fullback (15) I would chose Muliaina first but if we are lacking a good 13 he would go there and MacDonald can play (15).

WunalaYann
Topic Author

Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:43 am

Fine, we will go by numbers, then.  Smile

Smith can play both 12 and 13. What I was thinking about was something along the lines of Mauger/Toeava or Smith/Nonu.

I would be curious to see what McAlister would do at fullback. He would certainly have the kicking game for it, and of course the speed. Now as for offensive/defensive positioning, well, I am sure he can learn quickly.

In which case Muliaina would then have a viable replacement.

Cheers and sorry about the confusion, though I did explain inside/outside compared to 1st/2nd.  Wink

Banco

Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:18 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 44):
Thre is no "remarks" column on the trophy!

Er...yes. That's in the World Cup though, not a tinpot tour where England have 50 (fifty!!) players unavailable.

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 45):
Otherwise Banco will get the call at second five-eighth...

We call them centres.  snooty 

VHVXB

Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:18 pm

Yes I do

This RWC is a four horse race, the tri-nations teams and France. Beyond that there does not appear to be a tremendous amount of strength coming from anywhere.

I would throw Ireland into mix as well. They have quite a competitive team

Speaking of Tri Nations Australia's greatest ever 9 and 10 (Gregan and Larkham) combonation will play their final game in Australia this weekend against the Boks