andessmf

Bad News For Us Guys...well, Somewhat...

Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:05 am

In the quest to finally stop our childbearing abilities after our third child is born (anyday now), we were both looking into surgical treatments.

She was going to get her tubes tied and I was...can't say it, but you all know it.

It has lately come to light from friends and family that having a woman get her tubes tied can cause some hormonal problems. Sort of like bad PMS. Obviously something to avoid. It can be treated by constant hormone treatment.

So to avoid all sorts of hassles, I will be the only one that will now remove my genes from the pool.

Just a little FYI.

EK20

RE: Bad News For Us Guys...well, Somewhat...

Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:09 am

Just get a vasectomy.  Smile

Too much Information there....  Wink

Femme

Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:18 am

Quoting EK20 (Reply 1):
Just get a vasectomy

Yup, it's much safer and there's no General Anaesthetic involved along with the complications it may bring. You'll be in and out in a day. Just do it !!

yes 
Women don't have hot flushes, they have Power Surges....

Mir

Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:25 am

Quoting EK20 (Reply 1):
Just get a vasectomy.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

metroliner

Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:46 am

nooooo!

wait for the male pill to come out! anything but the snip!
Set the controls for the heart of the Sun

checkraiser

Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:36 am

Quoting Femme (Reply 2):
Yup, it's much safer and there's no General Anaesthetic involved along with the complications it may bring. You'll be in and out in a day. Just do it !!

I'm sure you're a nice lady and all, but I don't think you're qualified in this arena.  Wink

I've had this discussion with my fiance and she wants to be the one to get fixed. She doesn't want me having that sort of freedom. Fine by me - I'll keep my sack intact.
N1120A is a camel-fucking terrorist.

ANCFlyer

Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:23 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Thread starter):
can't say it, but you all know it.

Wimp  wink 

Quoting AndesSMF (Thread starter):
I will be the only one that will now remove my genes from the pool.

Well, I have been calling for a flushing of the gene pool for months now.  laughing  biggrin 

Conrad, my friend, go get it done. It's a no brainer.

Several bits of advice:

Keep it clean and cool for 2 days or so after surgery.

Limit your activity for a couple days.

NO sex for a few days - trust me on this.

Keep Junior away from the "jump into Daddy's lap" game for a week at least.  scared 

Really, I was in and out in an hour. No problem.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Superfly

Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:40 am

AndesSMF:
I am the last one to tell another guy what to do with his ding-a-ling but I have to ask, ARE YOU NUTS?!?!?!?!?!  Wow!
I don't like the idea of this procedure same as getting tubes tied. There are plenty of ways of avoiding getting a woman pregnant. Going under the knife unnecessarily just doesn't sound right.
Bring back the Concorde

ANCFlyer

Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:50 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 7):
ARE YOU NUTS

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 6):
Wimp  wink 

Ditto . . .  rotfl 

FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

MCOflyer

Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:47 am

Andes, if she on the pill? There has to be a better solution. I can understand ANC's reasons but you really ought to think TWICE about this. I may be 20, but this is something you do in a last resort. I apologise if i appear to be rude.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

Rara

Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:05 am

Ya, really, what's wrong with all the other prevention method? Do you consider the pill et.al. not safe enough?
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

avgroupie

Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:12 am

I don't participate much on this forum. While I love aviation, I don't work in the industry so usually have very little to add to these discussions.

However, this is a topic I can give some advice on.....

I don't have a problem recommending this.

ANCF covered the basics. The only point I would empasize is the take it easy part. The local anesthetic will give you a false sense of "what's the big deal". You might feel so good, that you do something foolish like go bowling that evening.

Well don't, cuz when the anesthesia wears off - you will definately know you've been in a fight.

I can also give you a longterm test report. Have not had any problems, and have passed the thirty year mark. I still come to attention as needed, although as the years progress you may forget why....... maybe they used the wrong anethesia.

TSS

Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:32 am

To all the nay-sayers: Andes has three kids already, so he has done his bit for posterity.

With three kids in the house it's hard enough to remember to get milk and toilet paper at the store, let alone condoms or a refill of Mommy's "prescription".

Also, with three kids in the house it's nigh on impossible to find time to sleep undisturbed to say nothing of finding a quiet moment to get busy with the Missus. Now imagine how frustrating it is to finally have all three kids asleep at the same time and the Missus in the mood only to find out that you're out of birth control. Yeah, you could make a quick run to the store, but it's a lead-pipe cinch that someone will have woke up before you get back and you'll have missed your chance.

With a vasectomy, you're ready to go and safe as houses any time the opportunity presents itself.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Superfly

Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:13 am

Wouldn't his 'load factor' drop as a result?
Is it true that it's not as thick & creamy after a vasectomy?
If the misses prefers that consistency, wouldn't this vasectomy pose a problem?
Wouldn't the vasectomy 'water it down' so to speak?

Sorry if I couldn't find a better choice of words. :o

[Edited 2007-07-09 03:40:33]
Bring back the Concorde

allstarflyer

Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:21 am

Quoting Metroliner (Reply 4):
wait for the male pill to come out! anything but the snip!

ouch  Yeah, just hearing about it hurts.

Quoting TSS (Reply 12):
To all the nay-sayers: Andes has three kids already, so he has done his bit for posterity.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 8):

Make your own choice, dude. And if you ever think you made the wrong choice, there's a billboard on I-70 Westbound out of Indy that advertises microsurgical vastectomy reversals.  bigthumbsup 

Quoting Superfly (Reply 13):

rotfl 

-R
Living the American Dream

access-air

Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:23 am

I know of some guys that have had the surgery and thought they were ok to have relations with their wives and later on they found themselves with another bun in the oven........Is it worth snipping your bits?

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

CupraIbiza

Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:23 am

AndesSMF - Think long and hard (pun intended) before continuning down this road.

Have you thought about trying withdrawal method?
Everyday is a gift…… but why does it have to be a pair of socks?

Superfly

Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:44 am

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 15):
I know of some guys that have had the surgery and thought they were ok to have relations with their wives and later on they found themselves with another bun in the oven........

Cheating wives perhaps?  scratchchin 

........Is it worth snipping your bits?

Hell no!!!

Conrad, don't do it.  no 
Bring back the Concorde

Queso

Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:50 am

Wouldn't his 'load factor' drop as a result?

3-5%, not noticeable.

Is it true that it's not as thick & creamy after a vasectomy?

No.

I recommend vasectomy. Like others are saying, mine was no problem at all, a couple of days of mild soreness, a few days of taking it easy, a month and a half of using another method, then you have little to worry about. Most health insurance plans cover it (in the US), mine did.

TSS

Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:53 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 17):
Cheating wives perhaps?

Sometimes, but more often the tubes heal themselves and swimmers start getting through again which means you have to go in for the vasectomy a second time.

Also, you still have to use birth control for a while after a vasectomy...until you're 100% sure that all the live bullets are out of the magazine.

Queso

Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:03 am

Quoting TSS (Reply 19):
Sometimes, but more often the tubes heal themselves and swimmers start getting through again which means you have to go in for the vasectomy a second time.

With a section removed and both ends tied off and cauterized this is not nearly as likely to happen as it once was.

andessmf

Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:08 am

Yes, I know, still bothers me to think about.

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 9):
Andes, if she on the pill?

Third (and last) child should be born any day now.

Quoting Rara (Reply 10):
Ya, really, what's wrong with all the other prevention method?

Nothing. Except that with 3, we both know we are DONE. So a more permanent method is in order.

Quoting TSS (Reply 12):

And how!  biggrin 

Quoting TSS (Reply 12):
Also, with three kids in the house it's nigh on impossible to find time to sleep undisturbed to say nothing of finding a quiet moment to get busy with the Missus.

Wasn't too difficult to find time for the 3rd one.

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 14):
Make your own choice, dude.

This was all as an FYI for others. As I said, we were both going to get fixed, but the side effects for women make it silly for her to go thru with the fixin'.

I know of some guys that have had the surgery and thought they were ok to have relations with their wives and later on they found themselves with another bun in the oven........Is it worth snipping your bits?

Yes, it can happen. That's why she wanted both of us fixed.

Quoting CupraIbiza (Reply 16):
Have you thought about trying withdrawal method?

Worked wonders with the 3rd, right?

Quoting TSS (Reply 19):
Also, you still have to use birth control for a while after a vasectomy...until you're 100% sure that all the live bullets are out of the magazine.

Yep, that's why it is a good time to do it while she is going thru the 6-week no sex after pregnancy period.

ajd1992

Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:25 pm

no   no   no 

Do you want somebody cutting around your nuts with a scalpel?

I've not had it done, but from the sounds of it....it's not something I want done...

yooyoo

Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:13 pm

Just get snipped. Hell, you can always get it reversed if you change your mind.  Wink

My wife will be getting her tubes tied after our third child this September. We will be scheduling a C-Section so while they are in there, they can do their "work" then.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

Queso

Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:20 pm

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 22):
Do you want somebody cutting around your nuts with a scalpel?

A qualified doctor that has done the procedure many times before and has oodles and gobs of malpractice insurance? Yeah, no problem. People get root canals all of the time and there are lots more critical things that can go wrong with a root canal, and it takes much longer than a vasectomy.

I've not had it done, but from the sounds of it....it's not something I want done...

It's really not that big of a deal. Going back to the dental analogy, I'd MUCH rather go through another vasectomy than just having a cavity filled.

WunalaYann

Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:58 pm

Really, I was in and out in an hour. No problem.

You live in Alaska. Surely it is cold enough there to, ahem, naturally neutralise things without having to remove them...  Smile

KaiGywer
Crew

Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:19 pm

Keep Junior away from the "jump into Daddy's lap" game for a week at least.

Also be careful of the following situations  Silly
'Oh God...he Got Them!' (by AndesSMF Mar 31 2007 in Non Aviation)
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

flyingbabydoc

Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:16 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 21):
As I said, we were both going to get fixed, but the side effects for women make it silly for her to go thru with the fixin'.

That is the big point: she would have her abdomen open, while you are just having a minor (ok, two) incisions on already exposed parts. I think any husband that really loves his wife (or partner, or whatever else you call the better half) should do it thinking about the risks. When our family is complete, I will voluntarily go under the knife.

Besides, it is such an easy procedure....30 minutes tops, easy to perform, just the view of the surroundings is not that pleasant for the surgeon (well, at least not for me)  Wink

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 23):
We will be scheduling a C-Section so while they are in there, they can do their "work" then.

That is a sensible thing to do. In case of C-section, it is much easier to get the tubes tied up and cut (and deep fried at the ends), much easier and the abdomen is already open...

Now Andy... are you sure this time? Big grin

Alex
Marriage is the art of turning a lover into a relative

andessmf

Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:56 am

Remember, women are sometimes quite unaware of how fondly we like and protect our 'fellas'.

Yes, the thought bothers me, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 26):
Also be careful of the following situations

I have changed since then, anytime I pick up a set of swinging legs, they get restrained and shifted to the side to avoid this problem.

Quoting Flyingbabydoc (Reply 27):
I think any husband that really loves his wife (or partner, or whatever else you call the better half) should do it thinking about the risks

If it wasn't clear from the beginning, due to some of the risks that she would have, I have no choice now but to go 'under the knife.'

Of course, I HAD to tell them that after it is all done, they boys will need plenty of love and attention, FOR A LONG TIME, to help them to get thru their 'trauma'.

TSS

Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:59 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 28):
Of course, I HAD to tell them that after it is all done, they boys will need plenty of love and attention, FOR A LONG TIME, to help them to get thru their 'trauma'.

Indeed. After this, the "Not now, I've got a headache" excuse had better be used only after obvious head trauma.
 irked 

yooyoo

Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:07 am

Now Andy... are you sure this time?

rotfl  My wallet says, "yes"

When our family is complete, I will voluntarily go under the knife.

Will you be doing this yourself with a mirror?  Wink

flyingbabydoc

Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:49 am

rotfl  Hilarious. I will make sure I remember this in the future, should my boys be subjected to the Guillotine.

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 30):
My wallet says, "yes"

Well, that is indeed a good point. I believe you now  Smile

Will you be doing this yourself with a mirror?

Oh, sure, No problem.  ouch 

Actually, it would not be that difficult, come to think of it... I just need someone to hold the mirror and I would be fine. After all, isn't is a motto: physician, heal thyself?

Alex

Kuna

Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:00 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 3):

One of my favorite episodes! Thanks for that...
Pinnacle Airlines

GerbenYYZ

Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:39 am

I don't have it done, but according to my wife, an RN, it's considered major surgery for women to have it done, and a minor procedure for us men... I'm afraid that when the time comes I will deal with the procedure as opposed to subjecting my wife to surgery.  Sad

yooyoo

Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:52 am

Quoting Flyingbabydoc (Reply 31):
Will you be doing this yourself with a mirror?

Oh, sure, No problem.

Actually, it would not be that difficult, come to think of it... I just need someone to hold the mirror and I would be fine. After all, isn't is a motto: physician, heal thyself?

eek 
Do a webcast !!

flyingbabydoc

Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:23 pm

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 34):
Do a webcast !!

Oh No... re-edition of "the twilight zone"??? No thanks. For a while, no Guillotine for the boys...  Wink

fumanchewd

Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:56 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 18):
I recommend vasectomy.

You can always ask the wife to help give them the "love and attention" they need!

In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...