AA787823
Topic Author

Micheal Moore...an Anti-American?

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:45 am

I was looking at some of his work, Fahrenheit 9/11, his latest movies Sickos, and for what ever reason this man has it out against this country and its current administration. His views are way to social and "left" for this country. In his latest movie he continually compares us to social countries and their social health care system, which I hope we NEVER do in this country. I had found an interesting article on FOX news.com last week about him, but I cant find it now.
F.U.R.P.....Families Under Reduced Pay

eric

RE: Micheal Moore...an Anti-American?

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:47 am

Quoting AA787823 (Thread starter):
His views are way to social and "left" for this country

So much for the land of the free and free speech...
n

Banco

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:47 am

Quoting AA787823 (Thread starter):
His views are way to social and "left" for this country.

God forbid people be allowed their own views! That'd be, like, freedom of speech and stuff....  crazy 
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

tz757300

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:52 am

Quoting Eric (Reply 1):

Quoting Banco (Reply 1):

God forbid people be allowed their own views! That'd be, like, freedom of speech and stuff....

Oh, so you guys are suppressing his views now? So much for the land of free speech...

Anyway, yeah, his views do tend to make him pretty much anti-American since well...what he's pretty much said so far is pretty anti-American.
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

seb146

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:53 am

Why is it every time Michael Moore puts out a film, everyone from the Right comes out saying how anti-American he is? Anyone trying to say Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity was anti-American when Clinton was in power was laughed at and told the Republican pundits were just exercising their First Amendment rights. So, Michael Moore is a terrorist for exercising his First Amendment rights? I simply do not buy into his films, I have never seen any of his movies, therefore, I have not given him any of my hard earned dollars. Plus, I exercise MY First Amendment rights be defending someone no matter how whacked out I think their views are. Plus, we all know most media outlets are not fair and balanced, so quoting one article from FOX will not help your cause just like simply quoting one article from MSNBC will not help anyone either.

GO CANUCKS!!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

flyorski

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:57 am

It is a stupid thing to say that certain views make someone "anti-American" especially just because he thinks that America can do better with regard to health care. The majority of Americans do not watch Fox news, and therefor I think that Fox does not represent the "American" point of view.

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 3):
Anyway, yeah, his views do tend to make him pretty much anti-American since well...what he's pretty much said so far is pretty anti-American.

Great Logic  Yeah sure
"None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who falsly believe they are free" -Goethe

mbmbos

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:59 am

...what he's pretty much said so far is pretty anti-American.

Will you please tell me what you mean by "anti-American"? Can you please define it in such a way that we can use your definition to label everyone anti or pro American?

It would be most useful for this discussion.

Thank you,

MBM

eric

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:59 am

Oh, so you guys are suppressing his views now? So much for the land of free speech...

Firstly, I am not American, so technically I am not supressing his views. Secondly, I am, and I assume Banco, only making a general statement as to what is written in your constitution about American classifying itself as the land of the free and free speech.

Just because Michael Moore does not agree with the current government: how does that make him anti-American? You can't just call someone anti-American for only disagreeing [M. Moore]. By your logic, anyone who is not for the US, is against it. Now, where have I heard that rhetorical thinking being used before...
n

Scorpio

Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:01 am

So he's anti-American because he doesn't like Bush or his policies? Wow, that's so.... 2002. I thought the US had moved on from that whole 'anyone who disagrees with the president is anti-American' rhetoric. Guess some are still stuck in the past...

andz

Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:03 am

Quoting Eric (Reply 1):

Quoting Banco (Reply 1):

God forbid people be allowed their own views! That'd be, like, freedom of speech and stuff....

Repeat after me..... SARCASM. learn to recognise it.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

mdsh00

Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:06 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 4):
Why is it every time Michael Moore puts out a film, everyone from the Right comes out saying how anti-American he is? Anyone trying to say Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity was anti-American when Clinton was in power was laughed at and told the Republican pundits were just exercising their First Amendment rights. So, Michael Moore is a terrorist for exercising his First Amendment rights?

That's because to the Right, whenever someone is critical of American government or society, they automatically "hate America."

Look I don't agree with Moore on everything he says but there's certain points that he makes which are somewhat valid. I haven't seen Sicko yet but as far as 9/11 there were a couple things which I agreed with him on and some things that I didn't. Why is it that the Right has to have this black or white, knee-jerk reaction: "OMG HEZ ANTI-AMERICAN!!!" rather than just coosing to just disagree. Challenging society has been part of the history of this country so don't call him "anti-American" for doing it.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

eric

Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:10 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 9):
Repeat after me..... SARCASM. learn to recognise it.

Sarcasm does not work in an internet forum when emocation is not used... How should I know if he is being sarcastic or not.
n

DLPMMM

Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:11 am

Quoting Flyorski (Reply 5):
The majority of Americans do not watch Fox news, and therefor I think that Fox does not represent the "American" point of view.

Actually, Fox has the highest ratings of all the news channels. There are more FoxNews viewers in the USA than CNN, MSNBC and CNBC viewers combined.

Banco

Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:14 am

I find this whole "Anti-American" thing weirdly fascinating. It's hard to think of a more perfectly suited way try to stifle debate and freedom of speech than to automatically declare dissenters somehow disloyal to the nation. The KGB recognised such methods, using crimes against the state to cover these things - "dissidents" was the term used, if I recall correctly. Now, obviously, there's no crime here, but it is precisely the same mentality.

I've never come across anything similar in other free countries, yet the US is extremely closely wedded to the right of freedom of speech, enshrined in its constitution. I wonder how on earth such contradictions can arise. It's like the McCarthy era all over again.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

FlyingTexan

Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:25 am

Michael Moore is a ton more American compared to the criminals currently in charge.

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 6):
Will you please tell me what you mean by "anti-American"? Can you please define it in such a way that we can use your definition to label everyone anti or pro American?

It would be most useful for this discussion.

From what I observe, "Anti-American" seems to be anything remotely straying from a blind Bush follower. Since this administration is all about exploting and trumping 9/11, if one dare offers a dissenting view or criticism, they are labeled "Anti-American" and/or "pro-terrorist."
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

AirframeAS

Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:28 am

The only thing I have to say about this guy is that Michael Moore is that he does not represent the views of this country and the only views he puts in those movies...ahem...documentaries are only his OWN views.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

DLPMMM

Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:32 am

As far as Michael Moore is concerned, I think he is an hypocritical, idiotic, twit of a media whore, but I support his right to say anything he wants. I don't think he is dangerous, as most thinking people just ignore him.

frequentflyer

Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:42 am

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 8):
So he's anti-American because he doesn't like Bush or his policies

At that rate more than 50% of the US is... anti-American.

I do not like Moore.

I do not like zealots from the right either.

And am not even mentioning Bush lapdogs.
Take off and live

mbmbos

Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:45 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 15):
...he does not represent the views of this country...

And who, pray tell, represents the "views of this country"?

To make a statement like this reflects a fundamental ignorance of what the American form of government is about. There is no single view in this country. There are many views, philosophies, convictions that compete with each other in the market place of ideas. Our form of government accommodates differing opinions, and attempts to mete out decisions that afford fairness and even-handedness to as large a degree as is possible.

If you really think there is an official American viewpoint, dude, then I might question how pro-America you are.

Superfly

Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:47 am

If Michael Moore was anti-America, he would just pack his bags and leave. Michael Moore is NOT anti-American I consider him to be a brave patriot. He is simply pointing out certain areas in which we can improve on. You don't have to agree with him on everything.
Bring back the Concorde

frequentflyer

Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:50 am

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 19):
If you really think there is an official American viewpoint, dude, then I might question how pro-America you are.

Now that is what I call a perfect answer!

Namely, our system is designed so as to being able to manage multiplicity of views and opinions.
Take off and live

andz

Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:50 am

Quoting Eric (Reply 11):
Sarcasm does not work in an internet forum when emocation is not used... How should I know if he is being sarcastic or not.

He quoted you, I thought you were the one being sarc.... oh never mind, I give up.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

charlienorth

Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:57 am

I don't think he's a patriot and I don't believe he's anti-american either,hell he's profiting from the system,I do not agree with him much at all but i am 100% for his right to do so. Calling him or Limbaugh or anyone else in this arena an idiot or jackass doesn't add a thing to the discussion.. Just my  twocents 
Work hard fly right..don't understand it

jfk69

Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:58 am

I don't think he is Anti-American per say......I just think he is a shitty filmmaker who makes movies that people just don't care about anymore.

itsnotfinals

Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:03 am

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 12):
Actually, Fox has the highest ratings of all the news channels. There are more FoxNews viewers in the USA than CNN, MSNBC and CNBC viewers combined.

Actually they don't LOL. Fox news is a laughing stock among informed people anyway.

Michael Moore (although I don't agree with much of his viewpoint) is more "American" than 97% of US citizens that don't participate in our national dialogue. At least he is speaking his mind and participating in the national policy as opposed to watching a former Hollywood "newsmagazine rag" Inside Edition host (Bill O'Really" who has made quite the career playing the lap dog for the conservatives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inside_Edition

All that reporting on Hollywood made him the perfect lackey!
Speedbird 178 Heavy, FINAL runway 27L

UH60FtRucker

Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:14 am

Who cares... the guy has pretty much become unimportant and inconsequential:

Quote:
Michael Moore's Sicko health care documentary from The Weinstein Co looks like it won't top his 2002 Bowling For Columbine. Though already in 8th place among documentary moneymakers, Sicko took in $3.5 mil from 702 theaters for a new cume of $11.3 mil. Though that's only a 22% drop from last week, its per screen average has halved.

No one is watching. And where is the same hype as his past films?

The guy is old news.

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

solarix

Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:18 am

Michael Moore is NOT anti-American. He is just a GREEDY man out to make a buck like the rest of the crooks in Hollywood.
Bong Hits 4 Jesus

Klaus

Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:24 am

The only thing I have to say about this guy is that Michael Moore is that he does not represent the views of this country and the only views he puts in those movies...ahem...documentaries are only his OWN views.

He is an american.

So he represents one view of the country.

As do you.

You may well think that he's a scumbag. But a german scumbag would still have his own valid voice. Calling them "un-german" would be idiotic - and the connotations obvious.

Superfly

Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:26 am

Quoting Solarix (Reply 27):
He is just a GREEDY man out to make a buck like the rest of the crooks in Hollywood.

did you mean Washington DC....err........New York?  confused 
Bring back the Concorde

itsnotfinals

Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:28 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 26):

I won't be watching it either  Smile but the man is entitled to his opinion that's for sure. I agree with UH60, if you don't like it don't watch it, which is why it's not doing so well in theaters.

AirframeAS

Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:29 am

And who, pray tell, represents the "views of this country"?

Certainly not his. He does not speak for me.

To make a statement like this reflects a fundamental ignorance of what the American form of government is about.

You sound like you are his biggest fan.  sarcastic 

itsnotfinals

Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:36 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 32):
Certainly not his. He does not speak for me

Just like you don't speak for MM, that is what is so good about our country, we are free to be ourselves and have our life and liberty protected as an equal. I think that is what the poster was talking about.

NWA742

Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:45 am

Quoting Solarix (Reply 27):
Michael Moore is NOT anti-American. He is just a GREEDY man out to make a buck like the rest of the crooks in Hollywood.

I agree - to an extent.

Although Michael Moore is not actively anti or pro American, he's careless. He simply doesn't give two shits about this country. It's nothing great to him. He's doesn't care at all about the magnificent things this country has done that let's him exist and live a prosperous life while spreading his crap at the same time. The only thing he's after is money and fame, and hot dogs, and he knows he'll get it by spreading his one-sided propoganda "America is always wrong, others are better" bullshit.

Sadly we have so many idiots in this country who believe he's actually a person with a truthful and legitimate cause, and they buy into his crap. That's just another kind of acid that eats this country from the inside.

Quoting Eric (Reply 1):

Quoting Banco (Reply 2):
God forbid people be allowed their own views!

So it's not okay for AA787823 to bash MM's views?

Do I smell irony? Hypocrisy? Practice what you preach often?  Yeah sure

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

AirframeAS

Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:48 am

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 33):

Fair enough. I see your point.

Longhornmaniac

Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:52 am

Certainly not his. He does not speak for me.

Nobody said you had to. Nobody is forcing you to watch him/listen to him/agree with him. However, he has just as much of a right to speak out, criticize, and disagree with American policies as you do. Just because he as a different political belief than you might, or perhaps just too far out on the political spectrum for you, has nothing to do with his "American-ness," though.

You sound like you are his biggest fan. sarcastic

Why, because he supports how the American system is supposed to work? What sort of country do you think we'd become if we didn't constantly 'check' the power of our government? A few come to mind...Nazi Germany, Socialist Russia, Fascist Italy. Not exactly great models to be living up to, and the moment we let the government get away with things we don't agree with, whether liberal or conservative, is when it will alienate itself from the people, and attain a higher level of power than it was ever supposed to have. It is not only a right, but a duty for the American people to express their discontent with their government. One way to do it is at the polls.

However, as the one's currently in power (at least in the Executive), the Republicans have an ironic habit, claiming to be the patriotic party and all, of trying to take away the very civil liberties that they claim to stand for, as defenders of the Constitution and all. I'm sure if and when the Democrats take full control, there will be plenty of rightful outrage at their policies. It's how the system works, and it's why it works.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

Scorpio

Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:53 am

The only thing I have to say about this guy is that Michael Moore is that he does not represent the views of this country

And neither do you, or anybody else for that matter. Even your president no longer truthfully represents the views of your country. And, AFAIK, Moore never claimed to represent the views of the USA, so I really don't see what the relevance of that statement is to the discussion.

You sound like you are his biggest fan.

Why, because he defends Moore's right to free speech? Yes, I mean, how dare he  Yeah sure

JRadier

Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:59 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 34):
He's doesn't care at all about the magnificent things this country has done that let's him exist and live a prosperous life while spreading his crap at the same time.

And he said that where?

He does not make another movie about how good the US is (of which there are plenty), but he points out some of the things in the US that are 'done better' (MM's point of view, if it is the case is not important here) in other countries. Werether you agree with these points or not, he is not affraid to touch these points and get a discussion started. Is he anti-american because he puts the finger where it hurts?

(I predict I'm going to get flamed over this post)
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

WrenchBender

Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:59 am

Whether you like him or not, what he presents is often thought provoking. If he gets people to actually talk about the issues he brings up in his movies how is he "Anti-American".
All I can think of is a return to McCartheism every time people just start with the condemnation and namecalling.

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

Scorpio

Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:00 am

He simply doesn't give two shits about this country.

How do you know? If anything, the fact that he criticizes the country and its leadership is the best proof you can get that he, in fact, DOES 'give two shits', even if you disagree with what he says.

He's doesn't care at all about the magnificent things this country has done

Again: how do you know?

I'm not Moore's biggest fan, and I see that he's just as biased as the next guy, but statements like those above are simply ridiculous and based on nothing.

Longhornmaniac

Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:01 am

Do I smell irony? Hypocrisy? Practice what you preach often? Yeah sure

Lol. Did they once say he couldn't have his views? No. Did they say he couldn't have his opinion, or try to take it away? No. Merely pointing out that what he said is reflective of his own opinion, not those of the country. That, is most certainly a fact. If he wants to be of the opinion that Michael Moore is too left for this country, great. I respectfully disagree with him (albeit he's pretty close, in my opinion. My biggest problem with him, just like many politicians, is they don't listen, and ignore facts), however I also fully respect his right to be of his view. Nobody in this thread, that I can see (from a quick skimming), is trying to take away AA787823's right to be of his view. However, we are saying that it should be suffixed by, "in my opinion," or something of the sort, because many, including myself, do not agree with what he is saying, and it should certainly not be presented as fact.

Cheers,
Cameron

[Edited 2007-07-09 21:01:41]
Cheers,
Cameron

NWA742

Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:01 am

Quoting JRadier (Reply 38):
And he said that where?

Uh..........if such a thing were true, do you actually think he would come out and say it?

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

Mir

Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:04 am

Although Michael Moore is not actively anti or pro American, he's careless. He simply doesn't give two shits about this country.

I think he does care about the country, but doesn't understand that the problems that we face are very complex and challenging, and can't be boiled down to a simple "this is bad, we should do this to fix it" over the course of a movie. Not that he's alone in that line of thinking.

Do I smell irony? Hypocrisy? Practice what you preach often?

Yes, there is definitely hypocrisy there. Because if you do not agree entirely with what somebody says, you are interfering with their right to free speech.  Yeah sure

In fact, I'm probably interfering with your own right to free speech by telling you that the point you're trying to make is complete and utter BS. But sue me for it if you like.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Pyrex

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 26):

The guy is old news.

And yet the conservative right still gets all riled up about him...
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

JRadier

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 42):

Uh..........if such a thing were true, do you actually think he would come out and say it?

Thank you very much for shooting your own statement out of the water! He obviously didn't, so how would you know it are his views?

And to answer your question, I think (note the bold part) that he would!
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

eric

Quoting Andz (Reply 22):
He quoted you, I thought you were the one being sarc.... oh never mind, I give up.

duely noted (noting idiocracy of my own reply), practice as you preach, ey?
n

NWA742

Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:05 am

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 40):
How do you know?

It's my interpretation based on his attitude and his actions.

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 40):
If anything, the fact that he criticizes the country and its leadership is the best proof you can get that he, in fact, DOES 'give two shits', even if you disagree with what he says.

Or that he's only after money, fame, and hot dogs.

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 41):
Lol. Did they once say he couldn't have his views? No. Did they say he couldn't have his opinion, or try to take it away, no?

Did AA787823 say MM couldn't have his views? No. Did he say MM coudln't have his opinion, or try to take it away? No.

Round and round we go.

Merely pointing out that what he said is reflective of his own opinion, not those of the country.

That's not all what was said.

Nobody in this thread, that I can see (from a quick skimming), is trying to take away AA787823's right to be of his view.

Nobody in this thread, from what I can see, is trying to take away MM's right to be a socialist weasel.

-NWA742

sw733

Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:06 am

Now, I'm not fan of Mikey Moore, but the idea of being un-American simply because he uses one of America's founding principles (free speech)...pretty funny if you ask me. And by writing this thread with a question mark, you did.

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 14):
From what I observe, "Anti-American" seems to be anything remotely straying from a blind Bush follower. Since this administration is all about exploting and trumping 9/11, if one dare offers a dissenting view or criticism, they are labeled "Anti-American" and/or "pro-terrorist."

checkmark 

Quoting Jfk69 (Reply 24):
I just think he is a shitty filmmaker who makes movies that people just don't care about anymore.

Now, as far as actual film making (not what the film is about, or if you agree with his views, but the actual making of the film, its camerawork, etc.) he isn't bad. The content of his movies, however, have gone severely downhill each time one comes out.

JRadier

Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:07 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 43):
I think he does care about the country, but doesn't understand that the problems that we face are very complex and challenging, and can't be boiled down to a simple "this is bad, we should do this to fix it" over the course of a movie.

I agree with you, his movies are too simplistic to work one-on-one. However, what he does is show is the complete opposite of what it is now, and by doing that getting a discussion started.

NWA742

Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:07 am

Quoting JRadier (Reply 45):
And to answer your question, I think (note the bold part) that he would!

So you actually think that a celebrity like MM would actually come out and say "I don't care about this country, I don't have a legitimate cause, please ignore me."

rotfl 

Quoting Mir (Reply 43):
Because if you do not agree entirely with what somebody says, you are interfering with their right to free speech.

That seems to be what the first few replies to this thread are saying...............what's wrong with feeding them their own medicine?

Quoting Mir (Reply 43):
In fact, I'm probably interfering with your own right to free speech by telling you that the point you're trying to make is complete and utter BS.

No, you're not, that's the overall point I was making.

-NWA742

JRadier

Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:09 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 50):

So you actually think that a celebrity like MM would actually come out and say "I don't care about this country, I don't have a legitimate cause, please ignore me."

I don't think he would say that, based on the fact that I think (again, think, me) he does care, but it doesn't fit in to his line of film making, so why on earth would he include it?