USCGC130
Topic Author

Why Do People Have Dogs?

Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:51 am

I realize that this will be heresy to a lot of folks, but: why do people have to have dogs?

Having a dog is a real cultural imperative in the U.S. Some people do have a legitimate need, like, say, a single woman living alone who wants one for protection, or an old person who desires some form of companionship. But many people feel compelled to own a dog even when it's impractical, like when they live in an apartment in the city, or they have the sort of lifestyle that makes caring for a dog a PITA, or they don't want to bother taking the time and effort to train one properly. They seem to think that a dog is a chattel that they "need" to acquire, like a cell phone or a food processor or a decent stereo. For the allegedly "childfree" who have a vestigial parenting instinct, a dog is often a surrogate child.

In the area where I live (the San Lorenzo Valley in Santa Cruz County, Calif.), people seem to think they have to have a dog as part of the mountain lifestyle. They also seem to think that because they live in a semi-rural area, there's no need to train the damned things not to bark. I beg to differ on both counts.

This has become a real annoyance to me. Some of my neighbors have dogs that will bark mindlessly for hours, at nothing. Often, that will trigger other dogs in the neighborhood to follow suit. At times I feel like I'm living in a giant, outdoor kennel. The animals are either lonely and bored due to lack of attention, or simply ill-trained. Of course, most of these dogs tend to bark when their masters aren't home, *because* their masters aren't home. And so when I talk to these people, their immediate reaction is often one of belligerent denial. Many's the time I've fantasized about making their dogs' heads disappear in puffs of red mist, right in mid-bark, with a well-placed round from a high-powered hunting rifle.

When I moved here from the suburbs, I looked forward to being able to take long walks without cars whizzing past every few seconds, breaking my train of thought. But I soon learned that's impossible. Everybody has a dog (if not two or three), and every dog will start barking at the first hint of my approach. As I pass a given house, each dog will "hand me off" to the next barking dog, like air traffic controllers working a transcontinental flight ("USCGC130, contact Yip-Yap Center on 123.5. Good day.")

The county animal control authorities are useless. In response to a complaint, they'll send a dog owner a letter. A letter! They don't even bother sending an officer out anymore. And they won't issue a citation unless a complainant gets two other people to sign a form that corroborates his complaint. They claim that they get results from these letters that are just as effective as those they used to get from sending an officer out. I find that hard to believe. I suspect that they were simply overwhelmed by the sheer number of barking complaints they were getting, and so they placed the onus squarely onto the shoulders of the complainants.

I'm not a dog-hater, by any means. I grew up with dogs. I raised one from a puppy. We've all heard the expression "love the sinner, hate the sin." Well, I like dogs but hate barking. I encourage anyone out there who's considering getting a dog to first ask himself why he wants one, and whether he really needs one.

I'll close on a lighter note. Many of us have no doubt seen this dog haiku at some point:

I love my master;
Thus I perfume myself with
This long-rotten squirrel.

I lie belly-up
In the sunshine, happier than
You ever will be

Today I sniffed
Many dog butts-I celebrate
By kissing your face.

I sound the alarm!
Paperboy-come to kill us all-
Look! Look! Look! Look! Look!

I sound the alarm!
Mailman Fiend-come to kill us all-

I sound the alarm!
Meter reader-come to kill all-

I sound the alarm!
Garbage man-come to kill us all-

I sound the alarm!
Neighbor's cat-come to kill us all!

I lift my leg and
Whizz on each bush. Hello, Spot -
Sniff this and weep

How do I love thee?
The ways are numberless as
My hairs on the rug.

My human is home!
I am so ecstatic I have
Made a puddle

I hate my choke chain -
Look, world, they strangle me! Ack
Ack Ack Ack Ack Ack!

Sleeping here, my chin
On your foot - no greater bliss - well,
Maybe catching cats

Look in my eyes and
Deny it. No human could
Love you as much I do

The cat is not all
Bad-she fills the litter box
With Tootsie Rolls

Dig under fence-why?
Because it's there. Because it's
There. Because it's there.

I am your best friend,
Now, always, and especially
When you are eating.

You may call them fleas,
But they are far more -I call
Them a vocation

My owners' mood is
Romantic-I lie near their
Feet. I fart a big one.

To this I'll add:

Masters were remiss
Never trained me not to bark
Neighbors want me dead

Attempts have been made
Poisoned meat over the fence
Antifreeze in bowl

Man next door loathes me
Mindless barking all day long
Bullet through my brain.

LAXspotter

RE: Why Do People Have Dogs?

Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:00 am

Quoting USCGC130 (Thread starter):
As I pass a given house, each dog will "hand me off" to the next barking dog, like air traffic controllers working a transcontinental flight ("USCGC130, contact Yip-Yap Center on 123.5. Good day.")

LMAO ROTFL, hahaha. I see your points, but im not a dog owner so i cant give you an answer.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

Acey

Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:59 am

I'm a multiple cat owner, and they're entirely silent.  Smile
If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

USCGC130
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:08 am

Quoting Acey (Reply 2):
I'm a multiple cat owner, and they're entirely silent

Somebody once commented that "Owning a cat is like keeping a tiny Republican for a pet." I'm a Republican, but I see the humor in that.  Smile

SlamClick

Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:27 am

Serious dog people here, my wife and I both come from families that raised dogs, St. Bernards in my case. I hate being without a dog. I've owned some cats too but the coyotes got the last two.

Some of my neighbors, round and about are these kind of people:

have to have a dog as part of the mountain lifestyle.

need to train the damned things

Even though everyone out here has some acreage, the white noise level is almost nil, so the barking carries a mile or more. Some nights I want to kill a local dog with a unique "voice" and a 5 + 1 bark that can go on for hours. I don't get how a person can be so rude and inconsiderate. In fact I don't get why a person would bother to own a dog, then just leave it chained outside. If the dog is not welcome in my house it is not needed in my life.

A couple of years ago we were visiting a relative in Utah and his neighbor had a really sweet malemute. She was confined to a 6x8 foot chainlink enclosure with a concrete pad, an un-insulated doghouse with no pad or blanket. Worst of all, her water dish was frozen solid. My wife had to lead me away to keep me from hurling the ice-dish through that jerk's window.

I believe that most dogs want to belong, want to know what the pack rules are, want to socialize. Denying them these things is very cruel and all I can say is don't do it in front of me.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

RobertNL070

Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:41 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 4):
I believe that most dogs want to belong, want to know what the pack rules are, want to socialize. Denying them these things is very cruel and all I can say is don't do it in front of me.

Most dogs? Surely all dogs.

I am a cat-person myself, but I recognise and respect the sort of dog-person you are.

My partner's parents have a Cocker Spaniel. Yasmine. She's adoreable.

The Dutch biologist and author, Midas Dekkers, once noted that dogs are for beginners and cats are for advanced pet owners.

Another funny quote from the same author: a cat has 40 million hairs - 5 million on its back, 10 million on its belly and 25 million on your furniture.

My mother still has a copy of book called (something like) A Hundred Ways To Live With A Calculating Cat

Robert
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

EasternSon

Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:49 am

Besides my wife, my dog is the only thing in the world that wants nothing from me but love.

It really doesn't matter what else is going on in the world, when I come home, he's excited to see me, and that feels nice.

I can't really explain it further than that. Sorry if you don't understand.
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

EK20

Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:50 am

Whatever 'pet' someone decides they want, they need to be responsible for it in the same way they would look after another human being. Speaking as someone that had a dog for 15 years, it's just the same as a member of the family and the loss fealt when they go is exactly the same.  Smile

AeroWesty

Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:56 am

why do people have to have dogs?

For some people it's a social status thing. A couple of friends back east have always had registered pedigreed dogs, and they're showcased on their breeder's website as clients. They've even flown halfway across the U.S. to pick out puppies from a fresh litter, to be delivered later. I do my best to say "what a nice poodle", or whatever, but don't totally understand the hobby.

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 5):
My mother still has a copy of book called (something like) A Hundred Ways To Live With A Calculating Cat

Ooooh, I need to find that one.
International Homo of Mystery

USCGC130
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:02 am

Quoting EasternSon (Reply 6):
I can't really explain it further than that. Sorry if you don't understand.

I understand completely; thanks. What I was getting at is that the cultural imperative of dog ownership is so powerful that it drives many people to have dogs even when they shouldn't.

Oh, and SlamChick, I agree with everything you said.

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 5):

I remember that book! There was a companion volume titled How To Live With A Neurotic Dog. One of my neighbors has a neurotic female black Lab. She has separation anxiety, and makes this birdlike chirping noise ("EEE! EEE! EEE!") whenever her master is outside on the property someplace and she can't see him. She goes into a barking and yelping frenzy when she hears his car pull into the driveway in the evening, and won't stop until he makes his way through the house and lets her inside through the back door. It's really annoying, especially if I'm trying to sleep at the time.

HAWK21M

Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:03 am

I don't hate Animals,But I don't Love them either.Electronics interests me more. Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

mdodd

Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:08 am

Quoting Acey (Reply 2):
I'm a multiple cat owner, and they're entirely silent.  

Same here...don't really understand Dogs sometimes...although I think they can be really nice animals and make good pets, unfortunitly they do have a lot of downsides to them (at least in my eyes)!

EasternSon

Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:43 am

Go get a book called "Marley and Me" - it's a great read about a guy who buys a giant yellow lab and the dog is a nightmare. But, just as if it was one of his children who had a wild and destructive side, he loves the dog unconditionally.

I got it for my parents, who take care of my huge, uncontrollable chocolate lab, coincedentally named "Marley."
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

deltagator

Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:00 am

why do people have to have dogs?

To chase undesirables out of my yard of course. JUST KIDDING FOLKS!

Having a dog is a real cultural imperative in the U.S. Some

I got asked this when I was in India. I paid attention to all the dogs roaming the streets to the point I could have given two shits about the poor folks begging for money. They wanted to know if it was a status symbol to own a dog in the US. I said not in my book but if it was I was the damn king of the world with 3 dogs that live the freaking life of Riley sleeping on the couch, watching TV, and have a doggie door to go into the backyard for exploring.

In the area where I live (the San Lorenzo Valley in Santa Cruz County, Calif.),

Gorgeous country. I have a client in Scotts Valley. I love going out there.

Everybody has a dog (if not two or three), and every dog will start barking at the first hint of my approach.

My dogs are hilarious with this one. If you are outside they will bark and growl like they will rip your throat out for entering their perimeter. But once you're inside, whether we let you in or not, you're ok in their book and the biggest threat they pose is to lick you to death.

I like dogs but hate barking

Right there with you. Our friends have a lab who barks his fool head off when you pet him and then barks more if you ignore him. That dog pisses me off. Mine on the other hand licks any exposed body part like fingers or toes if they happen to pass her so that's annoying as well.

Quoting EasternSon (Reply 12):
Go get a book called "Marley and Me" - it's a great read about a guy who buys a giant yellow lab and the dog is a nightmare. But, just as if it was one of his children who had a wild and destructive side, he loves the dog unconditionally.

Great book and a quick read. I have a chocolate lab and I cried like a little bitch at the end of it knowing that I would be experiencing the same feelings in a few years when she is gone.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

ScarletHarlot

Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:03 am

Many's the time I've fantasized about making their dogs' heads disappear in puffs of red mist, right in mid-bark, with a well-placed round from a high-powered hunting rifle.

That would be entirely the wrong way to go about taking care of the problem. It's not the dogs' fault, it's their owners' fault. They are the ones who would deserve such a fate, not the dogs, who don't know any better.

Of course, I am not advocating violence against dogs or people here. I only want to point out that laying the blame on the dogs is completely misguided.
But that was when I ruled the world

lowrider

Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:16 am

why do people have to have dogs

Because we don't have the people skills to retain many human friends.

Our mutt is a halfway decent watch dog, gentle with kids, usually quiet, and a good companion to the Missus when I am at work. I think the problem is that many people do not realize that well trained pets are not a low maintenance endeavour. Unfortunately it is easy just to stick them out in the yard with some food and water and call them cared for. In order to interact with people, pets do need a certain amount of social training. If you have a particularly difficult dog to train, get some help. Yes it may cost money, but who said owning pets was cheap?
Proud OOTSK member

davestanKSAN

Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:43 am

Great companions, make you laugh, make you smile, always there for you, they wait at the door for you to come home, make you happy. They're a lot of work, but worth it IMO.  Smile.

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

USCGC130
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:19 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 14):
That would be entirely the wrong way to go about taking care of the problem. It's not the dogs' fault, it's their owners' fault. They are the ones who would deserve such a fate, not the dogs, who don't know any better.

Why is it okay to shoot an animal to put it out of its misery, but not okay to shoot an animal to put it out of *my* misery? The way I look at it, as a human being I have higher social standing than a mere dog does.

The owners would get the message, and the noise would stop immediately; there'd be none of this evasive, noncommittal "Well, we'll do our best to maybe try and possibly get them to eventually quiet down" stuff, followed by weeks of enduring more barking and trying not to overreact while making an effort to be a good neighbor and discern in good faith whether any effort toward improvement was actually taking place. (Been there, done that, accumulated a whole closetful of T-shirts, thanks.) BOOM! Fido, meet Mr. Remington. Problem solved. What's not to like?

There are certain types of people who are best traumatized into social responsibility -- who require what Hunter S. Thompson called "forced consciousness expansion." I mean, the mere fact that some ostensible adults have to be educated about stuff like this in the first place indicates that a more subtle approach would probably not make much of an impression on them, and would quite likely even be met with belligerence. They simply weren't brought up right, and now Society At Large(tm) needs to step in and make up for lost time.

I've tried reasoning with such people. I find that in my neck o'the woods, at least, they fall into two categories: white trash, and supposedly "childfree" couples to whom dogs are nevertheless surrogate children. The former have a reflexive "fuck you" response to even the most oblique and diplomatic implications of criticism, and the latter go into the same sort of belligerent denial that parents of spoiled children often do: "Oh, no, my precious little [Justin, Jhasmygne] would *never* do that! "

So as Al Haig reportedly once said, "Let me decision that for you."

Kunoichi

Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:53 am

Quoting USCGC130 (Reply 17):
as a human being I have higher social standing than a mere dog does.

WHY is that? What makes a human so much better than a dog? We're more intelligent, but that just means we have the responsibility to treat animals RIGHT- especially when we force them to become our pets.

It's not the dog's fault that it's being a dog and barks- if it bothers you, it's the owner's responsibility to make up for it- the dog can't go somewhere else to bark. Shooting the dog for being a dog makes it debatable whether humans are more intelligent than animals.

Our lives are worth as much as any other living beings. A dog has a heart, two lungs, and a liver. Just like we do. What exactly makes its life worth less than yours?
"Do you speak fluent Canadian?"

lowrider

Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:02 am

Why is it okay to shoot an animal to put it out of its misery, but not okay to shoot an animal to put it out of *my* misery? The way I look at it, as a human being I have higher social standing than a mere dog does.

Because even if you consider a dog nothing more than property, you do not have the right to destroy someone else's property because you don't like it. It would be like me burning down the Honda Civic with the fart can exhaust that the kid up the street owns. You think I like the way it sounds at about 0230? You can try and work with people, but you don't have a right to not be annoyed.

[Edited 2007-07-13 03:14:23]
Proud OOTSK member

futureualpilot

Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:06 am

Because if an animal is suffering, and there is nothing that can be done for it, would you not want its pain to end? Killing an animal like a dog, especially one that is not your own, because it annoys you is just cruel. Lodge a complaint with the authorities if you have to.

There is something about a dog that tells me that as dumb as they might seem at times, they know more about life than we can ever hope to. I miss my dog every day, but I see my girlfriend's dog constantly, and love him as though he were my own. There is something about the unwavering love, loyalty and friendship that you don't get from any two leggers.

[Edited 2007-07-13 03:10:54]

[Edited 2007-07-13 03:11:28]

[Edited 2007-07-13 03:12:35]
Life is better when you surf.

JAGflyer

Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:07 am

I used to say "why pay money for something that does nothing but eat, shit, piss, walk around and bark" but then I kind of grew to like certain dogs. Most I don't care for except for the Airedale and Welsh Terrier, which I love. Maybe one day I'll be able to commit to one but not now, thats for sure.
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

vaporlock

Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:09 am

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 16):
Great companions, make you laugh, make you smile, always there for you, they wait at the door for you to come home, make you happy. They're a lot of work, but worth it IMO. .

Dave...well said!!! Also, it is the unconditional love.....

Phyllis  bouncy 

ScarletHarlot

Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:57 am

You and I are *never* going to see eye to eye, so I'll bow out of this discussion now.
But that was when I ruled the world

L-188

Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:36 pm

All I can say is that my late dog was a hell of a lot less of a pain in the arse then the girl she replaced.

And she always was happy to see me, would listen to my problems and ate less too.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

planeguy727

Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:29 pm

I heart my dog. He is happy constantly (ok maybe not when I go on trips), he has made flight connections in cities I have never seen (MCI), converts non-dog people to dog people (we call it the power of Paco). He even goes on holiday without me (but at my expense interestingly enough). I think if I could give him an Amex card I would.

His ability to pick up on moods and provide the right level of support is just amazing. I wish I could learn to read people as well. I do think he is smarter than me - he is happy with a regular supply of food, companionship and stable shelter - how few humans these days are happy with just the basics.

I think he has me trained pretty well - but I also put a great deal of energy into helping him learn the appropriate behavior for different situations. No one is perfect - but he tries his very best! He even has a facebook group...

And this is a lifetime commitment for me - either his or mine - not something I take lightly. My previous dog (1986-2003) is why I never lived on campus in college - because I made a promise to provide a safe, stable home for him - and I was willing to not live on campus - and it has made a positive difference for me.

I don't think all people will understand - but dogs and humans are both group/pack/social animals - and I think it great that the species can support each other.
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

mdodd

Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:38 pm

Quoting Planeguy727 (Reply 25):
He even has a facebook group...

Lol thats good.

WunalaYann

Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:21 pm

Quote: "Why Do People Have Dogs?"

Because dogs cannot dial 1 800 CHILD ABUSE...  sarcastic 

USCGC130
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:08 pm

(I said that as a human being, I have higher social standing than a dog.)

Quoting Kunoichi (Reply 18):
t's not the dog's fault that it's being a dog and barks- if it bothers you, it's the owner's responsibility to make up for it- the dog can't go somewhere else to bark. Shooting the dog for being a dog makes it debatable whether humans are more intelligent than animals.

Which species is intelligent enough to invent the gun with which the shooting is done?

Our lives are worth as much as any other living beings. A dog has a heart, two lungs, and a liver. Just like we do. What exactly makes its life worth less than yours?

Sentimental, anthropomorphic nonsense. It feels weird, in a sort of topsy-turvy, alternate-universe sort of way to have to explain something like this. But hey, I'll play:

Where's the dog science? The dog medicine? The dog tools? The dog music, literature, and culture?

Which species routinely euthanizes surplus members of the other?

I'd say the fact that we own them as pets and not vice versa pretty much says it all, wouldn't you?

USCGC130
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:22 pm

I asked: Why is it okay to shoot an animal to put it out of its misery, but not okay to shoot an animal to put it out of *my* misery?

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 19):
Because even if you consider a dog nothing more than property, you do not have the right to destroy someone else's property because you don't like it. It would be like me burning down the Honda Civic with the fart can exhaust that the kid up the street owns. You think I like the way it sounds at about 0230?

The fact that you can at least hypothetically consider a dog property rather than the moral equivalent of a human being indicates some degree of rationality on your part. But to respond to your comment:

If I were in your position and reasoning with the kid about the impropriety of blasting into the neighborhood with an obnoxious, unnecesssarily-noisy car at 0230 had failed, then yes, I'd consider torching the Civic to be the unfortunate but nevertheless logical next step. I'd probably select a more subtle form of vandalism than arson, one suitable to get the message across -- at least at first. But the principle would be the same.

Look: I have as much respect for private property as the next man does. But I'm also a proponent of the idea that someone's right to swing his fist ends at my nose. If someone's private property is being used to assault my nose -- or in this case, my eardrums -- and a more civilized approach to fixing the problem proves fruitless, that property becomes fair game for retaliation. Conversely, if its owner doesn't want his property placed at risk, he should take care not to annoy people with it.

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 19):
You can try and work with people, but you don't have a right to not be annoyed.

That's good as far as it goes. A corollary, however, is that I have a responsibility to take up the cudgel and do what I can to eliminate sources of annoyance.

USCGC130
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:27 pm

Quoting FutureUALpilot (Reply 20):
There is something about the unwavering love, loyalty and friendship that you don't get from any two leggers.

A colleague of mine, a cat person, once quipped, "The dog is a yes-animal, very popular with people who can't afford to keep a yes-man."

But I do take your point.

kmh1956

Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:31 pm

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 21):
I used to say "why pay money for something that does nothing but eat, shit, piss, walk around and bark"

Except for the bit about the bark, you could be describing a spouse or a child as readily as a dog......and I'm not even sure about the bark in some cases!!!
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

David L

Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:19 pm

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 4):
In fact I don't get why a person would bother to own a dog, then just leave it chained outside. If the dog is not welcome in my house it is not needed in my life.

Well said. I've known quite a few people who had a dog or a cat they treated as an animated ornament - just no love at all. They don't know what they're missing.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 8):
For some people it's a social status thing. A couple of friends back east have always had registered pedigreed dogs, and they're showcased on their breeder's website as clients. They've even flown halfway across the U.S. to pick out puppies from a fresh litter, to be delivered later. I do my best to say "what a nice poodle", or whatever, but don't totally understand the hobby.

I don't understand why an animal lover would display their "pet" cat or dog at countless shows, either. And then there's the whole question of destructive in-breeding that goes into "fine-tuning" pedigrees. I'll take a moggie over an exclusive pedigree every time.  Smile

Quoting USCGC130 (Reply 28):
(I said that as a human being, I have higher social standing than a dog.)

Is it OK for a human being with higher social standing to shoot a human being with lower social standing just because they annoyed them?

Which species is intelligent enough to invent the gun with which the shooting is done?

So, if someone close to you got mauled by a dog, you'd just shrug your shoulders and ask who's got the sharp teeth?

USCGC130
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:37 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 32):
Is it OK for a human being with higher social standing to shoot a human being with lower social standing just because they annoyed them?

What's that got to do with dogs compared to humans? Whether it's okay for humans to shoot one another is another discussion entirely.

So, if someone close to you got mauled by a dog, you'd just shrug your shoulders and ask who's got the sharp teeth?

Again, what's that got to do with dogs compared to humans? You keep trying to imply that dogs are the moral equals of human beings. Okay, slippery-slope time: If you believe, as you seem to, that it's not okay for a human to kill a dog that he considers a pest, how about a rat? Where is the line drawn to your mind, and why? Both dogs and rats are mammals, right? Rats are detrimental in that they carry disease, and dogs can be detrimental in that they detract from the quality of life by barking, even unto robbing people of sleep.

I suspect that your position is based not on reason, but on sentiment and emotion. I know you Brits are a nation of animal lovers. I seem to recall reading a few years ago that British animal charities such as the RSPCA get more contributions than those existing for the benefit of human children.

kmh1956

Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:18 pm

Having read so many of these posts, I am reminded of a study I read several years ago which said something like you can tell how a person will treat other people by the way they treat animals. ( I don't remember where I saw it, or else I'd post the link)
There were also examples of people like Jeffrey Dahmer (and others...can't remember) who started out by being cruel to animals, killing them and torturing them for no reason...and how they ended up.

[Edited 2007-07-13 16:19:22]
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

Superfly

Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:32 pm

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 14):
I only want to point out that laying the blame on the dogs is completely misguided.

It's not the dog's fault that it's being a dog and barks- if it bothers you, it's the owner's responsibility to make up for it- the dog can't go somewhere else to bark. Shooting the dog for being a dog makes it debatable whether humans are more intelligent than animals.

Ruff Ruff ! !  bigthumbsup 

USCGC130:
Not to sound silly or anything but if these dog owners annoy you, perhaps you can take revenge out by taking a dump in the owners front lawn. Big grin
LOL!  rotfl 
Just kidding!

Seriously, you should tell these neighbors about there barking dogs.
Bring back the Concorde

bristolflyer

Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:40 pm

Without reading every line of every post before me....

- As a stop-gap before becoming parents (at which point the dog normally gets neglected)

- As a companion, quite often to those that have problems holding relationships with other humans (ever seen how many 30-something singles on dating websites are madly in love with their dog cos they've lost all faith in dating?)

With you on the barking annoyance - my neighbors have a dog that spends it's life outdoors and barks at everything - most annoying.
Fortune favours the brave

David L

Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:10 am

Quoting USCGC130 (Reply 33):
I suspect that your position is based not on reason, but on sentiment and emotion.

"Suspect"? Of course it is, just as it is with family and friends. There's no logical "reason" to have feelings for them, other than sentiment and emotion.

What's that got to do with dogs compared to humans? Whether it's okay for humans to shoot one another is another discussion entirely.

No it's not. You're the one setting the arbitrary boundary of "social standing", not me. Why is it OK for a human to kill an animal "just because" due to their higher social standing but it's not OK for one human being to kill another "just because" due to their superior social standing over their victim?

how about a rat?

If it's someone's pet, or, less emotionally, if you prefer, someone else's property, then no. You don't understand why people love their cats and dogs and that's fine - you don't have to understand it, you just have to accept it - it's a fact.

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 34):
I am reminded of a study I read several years ago which said something like you can tell how a person will treat other people by the way they treat animals.

Or how other people have treated them.

I know you Brits are a nation of animal lovers.

sarcastic  That doesn't explain the responses from posters from other countries. I'd be interested to compare the amount UK pet owners spend on dog hotels and spas compared to those in the USA.  Smile

I seem to recall reading a few years ago that British animal charities such as the RSPCA get more contributions than those existing for the benefit of human children.

I have no idea whether that's true or not but it ignores one very important fact - there are no government-funded social services for animals but there are for children.

Again, what's that got to do with dogs compared to humans?

Because you said it was OK for people to shoot someone's pet dog just because human's are intelligent enough to invent the gun. Why, then, is it not OK for a dog to maul a human because it has teeth that are sharp enough? Man has the tools to kill a dog, dogs have the tools to kill a man. I don't see how that gives either of them the right to kill the other "just because".

They don't know what they're missing.

I guess I would have to include you in that detached group.  Smile

sv2008

Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:19 am

Quoting Mdodd (Reply 11):
Quoting Acey (Reply 2):
I'm a multiple cat owner, and they're entirely silent.

Neither of mine are, they meow constantly and loudly outside my window to be let in at sunrise every single day. Fine in winter, but currently it's about 4.30am.

USCGC130
Topic Author

Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:22 am

Quoting BristolFlyer (Reply 36):
As a stop-gap before becoming parents (at which point the dog normally gets neglected)

It works the other way round, too. A couple of my acquintance had been married for more than a decade and had no children. Since he was pushing fifty and she was in her late thirties, and neither of them had ever expressed any interest in becoming parents, I never dreamed that spawning was in their future.

They'd had a dog for a long time. Well, it came to pass that they had to have the dog put down due to age and infirmity. Within a few months -- surprise, surprise -- Wifey was preggers!

As long as they had a dog around the house as a surrogate child, Wifey's spawning instincts were kept at bay. But suddenly, with the dog out of the picture, it was "ticking biological clock" time

saxdiva

Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:24 am

I guess if you're a self-absorbed, sociopathic jerk, this line of logic makes absolute sense. But I sure as hell wouldn't want you living anywhere near my family.

And yes, I know that's an ad hominem fallacy. Deal with it.

AeroWesty

Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:32 am

Quoting USCGC130 (Reply 39):
As long as they had a dog around the house as a surrogate child, Wifey's spawning instincts were kept at bay. But suddenly, with the dog out of the picture, it was "ticking biological clock" time

Wow, not only are you a proponent of vandalism, but you know what goes on in your friend's bedrooms as well. I hope the cops have your number.
International Homo of Mystery

LOT767-300ER

Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:42 am

Quoting Saxdiva (Reply 40):

I guess if you're a self-absorbed, sociopathic jerk, this line of logic makes absolute sense. But I sure as hell wouldn't want you living anywhere near my family.

And yes, I know that's an ad hominem fallacy. Deal with it.

A favorite activity of mine when im on vacation in Poland is to stakeout in my bedroom window in our house in Warsaw with a BB Gun and shoot at stray cats all night. Infact, these cats were such a problem one summer pissing everywhere that people from our street asked me to clean up. So I climbed on the roof and hid behind the satellite dish with my friend (of course equipped with plenty of Carlsberg and Tyskie) and eliminated at least 12-15 cats in the matter of 6-7 hours.
 faint 

Kunoichi

Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:48 am

One can wonder if that was really that intelligent after all.  Smile

Where's the dog science? The dog medicine? The dog tools? The dog music, literature, and culture?

Where's the world peace? If the earth was ruled by dogs, I guarantee you they wouldn't start wars like we do. Which species is now destroying the very planet they live on? Dogs wouldn't do that either.
And if you actually took a moment to research dogs, you'd realize that they have plenty of the other things that you just mentioned- humans just aren't able to comprehend and understand it.  Smile Dogs evolve like humans have done- in a few thousand years, they might be smarter than the average human- just because they might be at a lower level than human, evolution-wise, does that make us better, more superior than them in the way that we can rightfully just take their life just because we feel like it and the dog annoy us?

Quoting "USCGC130 (Reply 28):
Which species routinely euthanizes surplus members of the other?

And that makes us superior, how? The dog would die if we didn't euthanize it anyway. A dog can kill a person too (if it wanted to).

Quoting "USCGC130 (Reply 28):
I'd say the fact that we own them as pets and not vice versa pretty much says it all, wouldn't you?

No. It just means we have a responsibility towards them. The wolf would never have chosen to become a pet in the first place, and we forced it to, thus creating the dog. When you do something like that, you'd think that humans would have a deeper respect for life and care for the animal without causing it harm.

You never explained why the dog's life was worth less than yours (or in this case, not even that- you're trying to make it sound reasonable to shoot a dog just because it barks!). Just because humans invented stuff and forced animals to be our pets, doesn't make our lives worth more than theirs.
"Do you speak fluent Canadian?"

LOT767-300ER

Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:54 am

Quoting Kunoichi (Reply 43):
You never explained why the dog's life was worth less than yours (or in this case, not even that- you're trying to make it sound reasonable to shoot a dog just because it barks!). Just because humans invented stuff and forced animals to be our pets, doesn't make our lives worth more than theirs.

rotfl 

Are you saying if you could only rescue one life and it would be a dogs or a humans in a fire you wouldnt think the human is worth more? (For the sake of the argument lets pretend the human is not a cop, there seems to be a common understanding in some cultures and languages that a cop=dog.)  box   laughing 

stlgph

Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:58 am

So, basically you're kind of nuts, eh?
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

dl021

Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:07 am

Because dogs:

like beer

think farts are funny

love you more every day

are happy when you bring other dogs home to play

the later you are the happier they are to see you

....oh...wait...these are reasons dogs are better than wives.....

hope my wife don't see this.....
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

Beaucaire

Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:16 am

This is Diane,our female fox-mix-up enjoying the beach in Italy.
We rescued her from a crazy hunter who wanted to shoot, her because she did not do as he liked her to do..
We've always had dogs and cats and could not imagine to live without animals.
There is nothing wrong with people loving dogs- that does not prevent them from loving other humans or other animals-but dogs and cats are the only animals that do appreciate the life with humans.
All other animals are either unhappy in homes/appartments ,because it is not their preferred environment.Give a dog or cat a choice if they want to live alone in the wilderness or sharing life with -animal loving humans- their choice is fast and decisive.
Dogs share their emotions with us,give us a lot of love and attention but in turn require permanent care and devotion.You either care about dogs and keep him/her happy or you don't feel the strain to maintain a permanent care-taking attitude.
Here in France there are too many people that have animals but don't really care .many dog's are kept in horrible conditions (mainly hunting-dogs and guard-dogs,who are left unattended for long times without care and just kept buzy once the "master" wants them to share their passion for hunting )
Main reason why we have animals is that we have an inherent emotional attachment to animals but consider only those two (Dogs and cats ) as fit to share housings.
Horses and donkeys can be very pleasant compagnons ,but do require lot's of space and a dedication that goes beyond most peoples daily lifes' agendas.
I would never have for instance gold-fish in a glass-bowl as many young children tend to do..it's cruel toward the animal and not offering enough living -space.
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

BigOrange

Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:20 am

Quoting USCGC130 (Reply 3):
Owning a cat is like keeping a tiny Republican for a pet

If only George Bush was as quiet as a cat, the country might be in a better state!

nosedive

Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:23 am

USCGC130, you were one of those kids who kept "falling down the stairs" as a kid, weren't you?