cxsjr

The Cost Of Your Wedding?

Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:58 pm

I was watching a show last night in which a bride and groom allowed their friends to organise the whole of their wedding day, from the venue to the guests and the wedding outfits. The cost of the day was .... £15,000 or $30,000!!

I went to a wedding last year which cost £12,000 (the fact that I was told how much it cost says a lot!) and the couple had split within 6 months!

I personally think that people seem to put far too much emphasis on the wedding day instead of concentrating the marriage itself - my day cost less than £1,000 ($2,000), we invited a small select group of friends and we had a super and memorable time!

So, what are your thoughts on big, flashy and costly weddings?
The world is a book, those who do not travel read only one page ....

Bofredrik

RE: The Cost Of Your Wedding?

Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:32 pm

I have been married two times:

1st. We got married without telling anybody.
The cost was low. A nice dinner and a hotelroom.

2nd. My wife:s father paid 100 %.

I prefer 1st.

oly720man

Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:50 pm

The in-laws (to be) spent around £6k on ours in 2001 for around 60 people. My parents provided the champagne (that we went to France to get) and the cars.

Wedding at Tabley house (also used for some scenes in the Forsyte Saga tv series a couple of years ago)
http://www.tableyhouse.co.uk/

Reception at Sutton Hall. Lower 2 photos on this site
http://www.thornber.net/cheshire/htmlfiles/macchalls.html

Nice day, nice people. Gershwin Gang provided the music (http://www.gershwingang.fsnet.co.uk/) and they did play "Lets face the music and dance."

My mother's hairdresser's daughter got married at some lavish and expensive do and her and new husband came back from the honeymoon on separate flights after things obviously didn't work out.

Quoting Cxsjr (Thread starter):
I personally think that people seem to put far too much emphasis on the wedding day instead of concentrating the marriage itself

"people" seems to be mothers.

My cousin had 3 "weddings" to the same person.

Long story, but she was working as a nanny in Moscow (the russian one) and met a US CB at an embassy bash. In order to go back to the US with him it was a whole lot easier to get married, so they had the quickie wedding. But her mum wanted the big white wedding in church, so they had to do that at a later date having fallen for the emotional blackmail of "after all I've done for you". And his family had to have their ceremony because they couldn't come to the UK for the others.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

ManuCH
Crew

Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:52 pm

Me and my partner are waiting to get married until we can afford what we want to organize... we want to charter a Saab 2000 for a sightseeing flight. The only limit is that we can't invite more than 48 people (50 seats  Smile)

You can figure out yourself how much this can possibly cost, but that's something we've always wanted to do.
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

bananaboy

Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:57 pm

Not my thing, but certainly don't want to criticise those who choose to have a big wedding. It certainly never figured in my wish list, but I know a few people who have been planning / hoping for a massive white wedding their entire lives!

Our civil partnership is going to cost all in about £5000.

Yes, it's more money than I've ever spent on anything, but it's going to be the biggest party I've ever organised. We are spending very little on the actual "ceremony" - ie no flashy suits or venue, everything else is going toward the "important" stuff, in my mind. I've never had the chance to have so many family and friends together at one time, and want to show them a good time, so the money is going towards feeding them and entertaining them.

It has surprised me how much it has cost though, considering we wanted to keep it fairly simple. There have been more things to provide for than I initially thought of...

• DJ
  • Cake(s)
  • Champagne
  • Welcome cocktails
  • Favours
  • Presents for parents / special friends, particularly those who have travelled a long way
  • Fortune cookies (not totally essential, but we liked the idea!)
  • Photographer (man, they can be expensive - nearly 20% of the total cost!)
  • Flowers
  • Activity packs to keep the kids happy
  • Meal post - ceremony
  • Canapes during the evening
  • Guestbook
  • Wedding website
  • Flights for family / friends from US to UK
  • Invites / stationery
  • Rings

I didn't want a flashy "do", and was hoping to get it done for less. However, came to a point that, although we know it is only one day, and we have other more important priorities ahead (don't want to bankrupt ourselves over this), we also want to look back at a day we can be proud of.

Our philosophy for the day has been that we want to get the ceremony over and done with pretty quickly, then get to enjoying the rest of the day with our family and friends.

Can't wait... 2 weeks to go.  bouncy 

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

cxsjr

Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:09 pm

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 3):
we want to charter a Saab 2000 for a sightseeing flight

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 3):
but that's something we've always wanted to do

..... but that's cool and very different!

Think about the majority of weddings you'll have been to:

- boring service in a church that the celebrants have only ever been to once before and will probably never go to again

- reception which cost a fortune - sitting on a table with people you don't know eating mass produced tasteless crap

- evening disco where the DJ thinks it's cool to play the Birdie Song  mad  for all the kids followed by the Beatles for the rest

- the following morning ....  vomit 

- the whole day forgotten in a week

Chartering a plane is a much cooler idea because it's what you want and your guests will see it as a day to remember too .... go for it ManuCH!
The world is a book, those who do not travel read only one page ....

cfalk

Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:14 pm

My wedding cost a little bit more than $200,000.

But there was a lot of family involved, and we basically took over a 5-star hotel for the event (The Palace in Luzern, Switzerland, for those of you who might know it)
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

ManuCH
Crew

Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:01 pm

Quoting Cxsjr (Reply 5):
Chartering a plane is a much cooler idea because it's what you want and your guests will see it as a day to remember too .... go for it ManuCH!

Thanks, I'll make sure to post a trip report when it happens  Smile

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 6):
My wedding cost a little bit more than $200,000.

Wow!  Wow!  Wow!

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 6):
But there was a lot of family involved, and we basically took over a 5-star hotel for the event (The Palace in Luzern, Switzerland, for those of you who might know it)

You... took... over the Palace in Luzern?? OH MY! How cool is that? Congratulations  Silly
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

LHMark

Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:43 pm

Mine cost $42.36. We even had an open bar.

">

Signed,
KROC
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Banco

Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:56 pm

Went to Australia, had a holiday, got married on the beach there. Total number of guests = 0.

So on that basis, it was basically the cost of the celebrant.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

gkirk

Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:01 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 9):
Went to Australia, had a holiday, got married on the beach there. Total number of guests = 0.

So on that basis, it was basically the cost of the celebrant.

So much for ye being a posh Sussex git  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Banco

Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:15 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 10):
So much for ye being a posh Sussex git

Ahem. I never mentioned which beach, or which hotel it was though, did I?  snooty 

gkirk

Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:22 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 11):
Ahem. I never mentioned which beach, or which hotel it was though, did I? snooty

Let me guess...QFF's "private" beach?  duck 

cornish

Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:39 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 11):
Ahem. I never mentioned which beach, or which hotel it was though, did I?

It was this beach and hotel Big grin

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 12):
Let me guess...QFF's "private" beach?

He may have been a good few thousand miles away but he could still hear QFF in Canberra  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

Banco

Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:44 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 13):
It was this beach and hotel

No way I was getting married round your new house.

gkirk

Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:13 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 14):
No way I was getting married round your new house.

Can't be Cornish's house...his new hubby JGPH1A would never be able to fit in it!

EasternSon

Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:13 pm

My in-laws paid for the wedding, for which I will be forever grateful.

Weddings in the Northeast United States are a bit of a racket. Everything costs you money. Just as a starting point, I'll give you this:

We had 165 guests at $175.00 a plate. So, the reception alone cost almost $29,000.

Then, there was the cost of the church, the flowers, my wife's dress, transportation etc, etc,.

I believe the total cost of the wedding was close to $45,000.00

This is not far off from what most people pay in this part of the country. Both of my sister's weddings were much more expensive.
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

yooyoo

Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:19 pm

Our weeding cost around $6,000 + $3,500 for the honeymoon if you want to include that.

We had 62 people, it was fun and memorable at i think, a reasonable cost.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

cornish

Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:22 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 15):
Can't be Cornish's house...his new hubby JGPH1A would never be able to fit in it!

yuck   yuck   yuck 

I hardly think so. there's no way I'd marry that old harpy.

Anyway JGP is already "owned" by his Ukrainian Mafia pimp down on the Riviera. Also not forgetting he is also already married to 49 Algerians, 36 Tunisians, 26 Moroccans, 15 from Chad, 11 Cote D'Ivoirians, 6 Maurtianeans, 3 Cameroonians and a Djiboutian great granddad with a gammy leg in order to help them get French citizenship in exchange for cash and favours:D
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

RJdxer

Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:27 pm

10k in 1986 with 150 guests. We paid for basically the whole thing ourselves. It went by real quick too.

Quoting BananaBoY (Reply 4):
There have been more things to provide for than I initially thought of...

I know I'll probably get  flamed  for this but a woman would have no trouble thinking of all those things and much much more. I think they are taught it in little girl 101.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

cornish

Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:29 pm

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 17):
Our weeding cost around $6,000

Blimey. Gardeners are damn expensive in your part of the world  Wow!

Banco

Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:37 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 18):
I hardly think so. there's no way I'd marry that old harpy.

Just carry on living in sin instead, eh? Big grin

707CMF

Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:50 pm

In France, the tradition is that the familly of the bride pays for the wedding.

In our case, though :
My familly and my wife's familly paid for the reception (room and food).
My wife and I paid for the Church (celebration and music - although the choir was not really expensive, as we asked a selection of friends/familly who knew how to sing to handle that).

I also paid for the honeymoon - and will probably paying for that for a long time, as the result of this trip is now starting to speak.

As for the cost, I think the cost by plate at the reception was around 100 euro.
Church costed us 150 euro, plus 100 euro for the organ player (no, not that organ willou).
Add another 100 euro for the photographer friend who did no want to get paid and ended up using that money maknig us a quite nice photo album.

Add to that the tux renting for me (don't remember the price), the dress for the wife (every price is possible from 99 euro to 10000 euro, and no, I'm not telling how much that costed)

We (wife and I ) also paid for the housing of the close friends (best men and al).

Cheers,

cornish

Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:57 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 21):
Just carry on living in sin instead, eh?

good god no. Believe me, his parents have offered me an absolute fortune to take the old slapper off their hands. But sometimes all the money in the world just isn't enough*

*Anyway I can get good money from Southern African hydroelectric projects without anywhere near the downsides of accepting a JGP mere et pere dowery.  Wink

gkirk

Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:05 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 23):
good god no. Believe me, his parents have offered me an absolute fortune to take the old slapper off their hands. But sometimes all the money in the world just isn't enough*

So you're sticking with Pe@rson then you old slag? Big grin

cornish

Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:07 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 24):
So you're sticking with Pe@rson then you old slag?

vomit   vomit   vomit 

and i refuse to fly Ryanair.....

Superfly

Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:11 pm

For chumps that allow there soon-to-be wives control them. It's for show off purposes only.
Of the happiest married couple that I know, none of them had extravagant weddings. A good friend of mine, him and his wife could have easily afforded an extravagant wedding but chose not to. Instead they took a very nice extravagant honeymoon, bought a nice modest sized home in a nice neighborhood with good schools and they'll probably retire before they are 50.

Of the 5 extravagant weddings I've gone to 3 are divorced, 1 is about to be divorced and the other should be divorced as they both cheat on each other but stay married because it would be too expensive to get a divorce.  scratchchin 
When/if I ever take the plunge and get married*, I will not stand for an extravagant wedding. I know it wont be an issue for me because spoiled prima donnas that talk about weddings are a complete turn off to me.

* 4 letter word in my vocabulary
Bring back the Concorde

LHMark

Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:35 pm

Our wedding, with around 100 guests, cost about $4000. We had the ceremony and the reception in the same hall, and an after party at my dad's house. We're too old for all that Cinderella at the Ball shit.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Banco

Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:55 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 23):
Believe me, his parents have offered me an absolute fortune to take the old slapper off their hands.

Oh, I do believe you. Ever wondered why his parents asked you?  scratchchin 

gkirk

Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:57 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 28):
Ever wondered why his parents asked you? scratchchin

Skidmarks wasn't available?  duck 

saxdiva

Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:11 am

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 19):
I know I'll probably get flamed for this but a woman would have no trouble thinking of all those things and much much more. I think they are taught it in little girl 101.

No flames from me... it's a weird syndrome that seems to prey on the psyches of 18-25 year-old women. The wedding industry doesn't refer to many of its victims as "Bridezilla" for nothing....

When we met, Mr. Diva and I were both veterans of these "starter marriages" that began with large-ish weddings and ended in disaster. Perhaps because of this, we were somewhat wedding-phobic, and I remember we were engaged for a while with a date in mind, but were doing virtually nothing to plan for it. One evening (I think we were on our way out to a movie when this conversation took place) we realized that his grown daughters--both east-coasters--would be in town on the same upcoming weekend, and that launched us into action on about ten days' notice. Since we both work full-time this pretty much guaranteed it would be a small, simple affair, but I remarked to a friend that I was much more interested in getting the *marriage* right this time around, and it seems that's how it's worked out.

Anyhow, we did the deed at home, with Mr. Diva's boss as officiant and about 40 friends present, and I think the ceremony/reception cost less than $1K. We honeymooned in London a few weeks later, and I don't recall what that cost but we hung around town, saw a few plays, and had a great time.

Best of all, after about five years, we're still having a great time... Big grin

Banco

Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:12 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 29):
Skidmarks

Cradlesnatcher!

Superfly

Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:17 am

Quoting Saxdiva (Reply 30):
Best of all, after about five years, we're still having a great time...

...and a great guy with an awesome sense of humor!  bigthumbsup 
Glad you dragging him up to Las Vegas last year!

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 27):
Our wedding, with around 100 guests, cost about $4000. We had the ceremony and the reception in the same hall, and an after party at my dad's house. We're too old for all that Cinderella at the Ball shit.

That comes to only $40 per-person. A start man you are.  yes   Cool
Bring back the Concorde

UH60FtRucker

Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:32 am

I was married less than 2 years ago. Both my wife and I come from large, very close, families... so our wedding was large.

I was also leaving for Iraq in a few weeks, so it was also a 'good bye' party at the same time. Our wedding was a blast, everyone had a lot of fun. We were able to save money on the location, because my wife had a family member who owned a large home, in Florida, right on the Gulf of Mexico.

I had a lot of military buddies attend. (I got married in my dress blue uniform, and we even had the sabre arch that my wife and I walked under, and I changed for the reception. Dress blues are way too uncomfortable.) But when you invite dozens of military guys, you better have an open bar!!! A lot of good alcohol was consumed that day!

Grand total: $74,000!!! My parents and her parents split the bill evenly.

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

IFEMaster

Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:34 am

My wife and I had a smaller wedding than most - about 70 guests - and we kept it simple. We got married in a local wedding chapel, then had an evening reception at a nice restaurant nearby. We had a DJ and provided 2 tickets for a drink at the bar (anything after that and the guests had to pay). We had a friend do the photography, and we hired a professional videographer. We cut costs were we could; for example my wife rented her dress rather than buy, and we rented only one car that did 3 trips rather than 3 cars.

The total cost was still a shade over $12,000. We paid for it ourselves, and it was worth every penny, but when it comes to the wedding industry, people will screw you left, right and center.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

LOT767-300ER

Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:48 am

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 27):

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 33):
I had a lot of military buddies attend. (I got married in my dress blue uniform, and we even had the sabre arch that my wife and I walked under, and I changed for the reception. Dress blues are way too uncomfortable.) But when you invite dozens of military guys, you better have an open bar!!! A lot of good alcohol was consumed that day

Alcohol in Florida and I wasnt invited? Im speechless. Thats fine dude I see how it is.

grumpy 

STT757

Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:51 am

Got married in October, it was about $185 per plate, almost 300 people.

That does not include the photographer ($4000), Videograpger ($3-4000), Limo, Honeymoon, flowers, Favors etc..

We also made a $2,000 donation to the church where we got married, it's a fabulous Catholic Church (Saint Frances) in Hoboken NJ. Our reception was in Upper Montclair.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Banco

Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:59 am

I can't believe some of this expense on one day. Put the money down on your house. Hell, go out and buy a decent car!

gkirk

Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:01 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 37):
Hell, go out and buy a decent car!

Aye, but don't follow Cornish and JGPH1A's example:

ScarletHarlot

Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:08 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 26):
For chumps that allow there soon-to-be wives control them. It's for show off purposes only.

Now this is one where I have to disagree with you, 'Fly, because the size and tone of our wedding was set by Mr. Harlot's family.

We got married in 1995 and had about 150 guests, and I think in the end, it cost around $20,000. Keep in mind that we were fresh out of university (finals had finished, but convocation hadn't happened yet!). Mr. Harlot's parents, bless them, paid about half of that, my parents paid part, and we paid the rest.

I had not wanted a wedding as big as we had, or with as much food, but it was explained to me that Mr. Harlot's Portuguese-Canadian extended family had expectations and that we had to live up to them or risk embarassing Mr. Harlot's parents. This would never do - I adore them - so I fell in line (after some persuading from Mr. Harlot). That was about the only culture clash I ever had with his family, and unfortunately Mr. Harlot had to be the go-between, helping me and his parents understand where each of us was coming from.

One good thing about marrying into a Portuguese family was that we received a lot of cash gifts - $17,000 in all. That was a very nice nest egg to begin our married life out in Seattle.  Smile
But that was when I ruled the world

Superfly

Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:19 am

ScarletHarlot:
Congrats and yes there is always exceptions such as in your case.
$20,000 in and $17000 return, you two did very well.  yes 
That comes out to only $20 per guest.
Bring back the Concorde

airtran737

Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:19 am

$25.00 for the cake

his and hers outfits $85.00 thaks to a sale at Gander Mountain

After the ceremony we all went fishing (free, thanks Katrina!!!)

Then went to the reception (free, my brother Billy Bo Bob Ray stole this hog)

Any finally the honeymoon was spent sailing down the Mighty Miss

Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

gordonsmall

Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:39 am

I've never actually been married, but I've now been engaged twice and bottled it both times at the last minute.

Total cost even before the actual weddings took place came to about £12,000 between deposits and miscallaneous expenditure.

Haven't been engaged for a while now mind you, miust be due another one ..........  Silly
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

gkirk

Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:42 am

Quoting Gordonsmall (Reply 42):
I've never actually been married, but I've now been engaged twice and bottled it both times at the last minute.

Those wouldn't be weddings. I believe what you would have had is called a civil ceremony  duck 

gordonsmall

Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:48 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 43):
Those wouldn't be weddings. I believe what you would have had is called a civil ceremony

Bitch say what?
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

Banco

Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:13 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 43):
Those wouldn't be weddings. I believe what you would have had is called a civil ceremony

Still better than your best chance - a laboratory-enforced mating for the purposes of scientific research.  snooty 

Dougloid

Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:32 am

$30.

$25 for the marriage license and $5 for the special county commissioner of Clark County to officiate. That was 27 years ago.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

allstarflyer

Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:14 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 18):

rotfl 

Quoting Superfly (Reply 40):
That comes out to only $20 per guest.

I'm sure there's women out there who read that and went  banghead   silly . Hey, it's an expensive day - why not figure out the economics of it.  eyebrow 

-R
Living the American Dream

Superfly

Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:33 am

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 47):
I'm sure there's women out there who read that and went

In ScarlotHarlot's case, it was a cultural thing and most gave her & her husband money and nice gifts. Many here in the US do it show off. Too many spoiled ladies out there that want to one up on her co-workers, girlfriends, fellow Church members and other family members.
How many single guys out there 'dream' about what his wedding is going to be like when that day comes? Probably not very many.
Bring back the Concorde

MCOflyer

Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:33 am

I do not want a big wedding, just one on the beach and doesn't cost a fortune. My sisters was about 100 something a plate and trust me, this was considered small. Shes saving up for the honeymoon.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.