IFEMaster
Topic Author

Ice Road Truckers

Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:22 am

Has anyone see the show 'Ice Road Truckers', showing on the History channel?

http://www.history.com/minisites/iceroadtruckers

This job ranks up there alongside crab fishing in January on the Behring Sea for 'jobs I don't want to do'. The thought of driving 25 tonnes across a mere 24 inches of ice drives me insane.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

mbmbos

RE: Ice Road Truckers

Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:34 am

I've watch 2 1/2 of the episodes. I think it's fascinating. Yep, I think it takes a special kind of crazy to take on a job like that. Really enjoy the show.

ConcordeBoy

Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:41 am

I've been meaning to check this series out, jsut never got around to it.

Would you types say it's worth it?
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

IFEMaster
Topic Author

Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:00 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 2):
Would you types say it's worth it?

I think it's a pretty decent show. It very similar to Deadlist Catch in terms of it's production and how it follow each driver around. But seriously, seeing a driver struggling to cope with whiteout conditions while halfway across a lake, or seeing the ice cracking and moving under the weight of the truck...you've got to be insane to want to do that.

LAXspotter

Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:02 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 3):
think it's a pretty decent show. It very similar to Deadlist Catch in terms of it's production and how it follow each driver around

Quite Similar

It's an interesting show, with simply because of the condition of the job and the way it's told. Otherwise, i dont really care too much about trucks.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

airtran737

Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:11 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Thread starter):

I like the show. I have watched a few episodes. Those crazy Canadians have some brass cajones to do that job.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

ORFflyer

Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:50 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Thread starter):

Yes, and so far it's been pretty entertaining.

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 3):
It very similar to Deadlist Catch in terms of it's production and how it follow each driver around.

checkmark  Although I'm not sure they can continue to make the episodes different enough to keep the series going. It's going to get pretty repetitive soon I think.

AirTranTUS

Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:26 am

I saw one of the first episodes and it was very interesting. I thought it was a "Modern Marvels"-type show at first. I will definitely be watching future episodes. I never really got into Deadliest Catch though.
I love ASO!

KBOS

Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:30 am

You know who's really crazy?

The cameraman that they put underwater to film the shots of the truck driving over.....
I don't care if the sun don't shine, I do my drinkin in the evening time when I'm in Rhode Island

LAXspotter

Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:31 am

Sorry, to get off topic by anyone watching Shootout, another great series on the THC?
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

kevi747

Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:51 am

I've watched a few episodes. I think it would have been better as a one or two part special. I had no idea that somewhere in the world people were driving 18-wheelers across frozen lakes, and found it to be interesting. But I'm not sure how they're going to make it into a regular show. I think it will get old.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

KBOS

Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:59 am

I thought the crab fishing would get old too but for some reason I watched it every week.
All they do is bait the pot, drop the pot, pick up the pot but for some reason I find it facinating.
I guess I really want to see them pull some strange creature nobody's ever seen before out of the ocean.
Besides, if I was one of those captains with the cameramen aboard, wouldn't you have them drop down one of those underwater camera's they use to see if any crabs are there before you even bother dropping all that gear?
I don't care if the sun don't shine, I do my drinkin in the evening time when I'm in Rhode Island

LH423

Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:58 am

My roommate is moving to Inuvik, NWT for a year and Inuvik is situated at the end of an ice road (when the Dempster Highway closes and the MacKenzie River freezes, it becomes an ice road). She's taken some pictures driving on it. Looks crazy!

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

ltbewr

Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:30 am

Several years ago, I believe either the Discovery channel or the History Channel did a 1 hour program about Canadian Ice Road Truckers. I have seen the episodes so far and I sure would want to do it, no matter how much trucking experience I had or money they throw at you.
One serious issue the program may bring attention to is the affects of global warming. The 2006 Ice Road season was cut short due to thinning ice due to earlier than expected thaw. I am not sure of this, the 2007 season as in the program, and I hope it is noted if the season was 'normal' or ended early again.

MCOflyer

Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:37 am

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 7):
I never really got into Deadliest Catch though.

It isn't for everyone.

I love the show and wonder how these truckers can stand going 15mph. I would do that job if I had too. You have to try everything once they say. I can't wait for the next epiosode as TJ is driving a brand new Volvo.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

L-188

Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:26 am

Well they aren't crab fishermen.

It is interesting going out on a lake on a truck, although it was in my dad's old Datsun to go ice fishing in my case.

Some people completely freak out at the idea..

I want to know what the hell what's his name was doing shooting at somebody else on the road. Hell how in the world did he get a pistol in Canada, I was under the impression that was verboden. But there it was plain as day a Colt Woodsman in .22LR.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

CanadianNorth

Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:32 am

Never seen the show, but I am wondering what all there is to show? We take our snowmobiles out on frozen lakes all the time, and it's great fun to bounce around out there, but I can't really see how fun it would be to watch on a tv...

CanadianNorth
What could possibly go wrong?

greasespot

Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:33 am

watching a truck on TVgoing 15km on a snow road in the dead of winter...not what I would call exciting TV....

Actually I have been on the Iceroad to Diavik and to Lupin a couple of times in my last job.....1st couple hours cool...by hour 15 i am ready to gouge my eyes out...

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

L-188

Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:37 am

Quoting CanadianNorth (Reply 16):
We take our snowmobiles out on frozen lakes all the time, and it's great fun to bounce around out there, but I can't really see how fun it would be to watch on a tv...

That's the other part too, The Canadians set up their ice roads on lakes.

In Alaska the road to NorthStar Island and Barrow is built out on the Arctic Ocean.

Jean Leloup

Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:46 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 18):
The Canadians set up their ice roads on lakes.

Lots are on rivers, as well. In fact, this is done as far south as the northern parts of Ontario, where certain fly-in communities briefly become accessible (a much shorter time period than in the NWT).

Quoting LH423 (Reply 12):
My roommate is moving to Inuvik, NWT for a year and Inuvik is situated at the end of an ice road (when the Dempster Highway closes and the MacKenzie River freezes, it becomes an ice road).

Inuvik is a pretty cool little place. I worked on the Dempster Highway last year (at Eagle Plains, the halfway point). I got to know all the truckers who work the Inuvik route year round, but I think it might be different guys who drive the 'extension' on Ice to Tuktoyaktuk in the winter.

JL
Next flight.... who knows.

L-188

Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:53 am

Quoting Jean Leloup (Reply 19):
Lots are on rivers, as well. In fact, this is done as far south as the northern parts of Ontario, where certain fly-in communities briefly become accessible (a much shorter time period than in the NWT).

Same thing on Alaska's YK delta.

Rivers are a bit trickier because the flow of the stream can erode the ice from underneath.

It is pretty amazing how abrasive water is.

KaiGywer
Crew

Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:23 pm

I like the show, pretty cool.

Pretty stiff penalties for speeding though. 24 in a 15 zone....5 days suspension, which is like $6,000 according to the show. And the guy that got expelled for going 63 in a 40.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

IFEMaster
Topic Author

Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:26 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 21):
Pretty stiff penalties for speeding though. 24 in a 15 zone....5 days suspension, which is like $6,000 according to the show. And the guy that got expelled for going 63 in a 40.

Not stiff enough if you ask me. Considering that speeding on the ice road can kill the person behind you, I would say that 24 in a 15 is worthy of more than 5 days of suspension. As for 63 in a 40...he got what we deserved.

khelmDTW

Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:13 am

That show is awesome, and I love the Canadian accent, eh?
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration"

CaptOveur

Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:40 am

I just can't figure out what the hell this show has to do with History.. You know, the theme the channel it is on is supposed to have.

Otherwise, I group it in with the rest of reality TV.. and I just don't watch it.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

L-188

Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:33 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 24):
I just can't figure out what the hell this show has to do with History.. You know, the theme the channel it is on is supposed to have.

Each spring the road is history.

OB1504

Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:54 am

Quoting KBOS (Reply 11):
Besides, if I was one of those captains with the cameramen aboard, wouldn't you have them drop down one of those underwater camera's they use to see if any crabs are there before you even bother dropping all that gear?

That's assuming that there's enough visibility underwater to see the crabs. Besides, I'm sure the underwater camera equipment would scare them off just as much as the rest of the gear does.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 13):
Several years ago, I believe either the Discovery channel or the History Channel did a 1 hour program about Canadian Ice Road Truckers.

It was the History Channel, and the reception was so positive that they decided to make it into a regular series. I think that's the same thing that happened with Dirty Jobs.

MCOflyer

Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:22 pm

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 17):

Actually I have been on the Iceroad to Diavik and to Lupin a couple of times in my last job..

What was that?

Anyone know what TJ got for hittting that Chevy Z71 with the Volvo Tractor?

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

L-188

Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:42 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 27):
Anyone know what TJ got for hittting that Chevy Z71 with the Volvo Tractor?

I think we find out on next week's episode.