DL777LAX
Topic Author

Mac Or Windows, What Do You Use?

Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:42 am

too many topics came up, no real concise poll appeared. Which begs the question, MAC or WINDOWS, what do you use? (mac people, if you only use mac built computers that has parallels or bootcamp, just say mac, make it simple.) Oh, if you run linux, you can state that you do.

Me, my windows laptop crashed, i'm typing this from my mom's computer, and I'm getting a mac. so yeah.
Blindly following anything is bad, unless of course your blind and your following a guide dog.

MCOflyer

RE: Mac Or Windows, What Do You Use?

Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:08 am

Windows. Is mac any better?

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

deltairlines

Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:17 am

I've got Windows. At work, I've got a Mac, but I'm not a big fan of it. Just too accustomed to everything Windows.

Alias1024

Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:50 am

Windows, but I will probably buy a Mac later this year and throw this piece of crap off the tallest building I can find.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

AeroWesty

Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:01 pm

Macintosh.
International Homo of Mystery

Asturias

Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:03 pm

Macintosh. Most excellent machines/software.

saludos

Asturias
Tonight we fly

Gemuser

Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:03 pm

Windows/Linux at both home & work

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

davestanKSAN

Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:19 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 1):
Is mac any better?

Yes. It is better. The user interface is much larger, so that viewing is easier. Those who disagree haven't spent much time with a mac.  eyebrow 

Signed,

Klaus

Windows,

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

Halcyon

Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:35 pm

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 7):

Yes. It is better. The user interface is much larger, so that viewing is easier. Those who disagree haven't spent much time with a mac. eyebrow

rotfl  Lol, all you forgot was the little sunny-wink smiley.

I have 4 Windows machines around me right now.

trav110

Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:49 pm

I just purchased a MacBook for school, and I find that the engineering is near flawless. Since the OS is created by the same people that make the hardware and much of the most heavily used (by me) software, so it works seamlessly. I haven't run into anything I can do on Windows that I can't do on a Mac, and so far i'm very happy.

allstarflyer

Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:59 pm

Yes. It is better. The user interface is much larger, so that viewing is easier. Those who disagree haven't spent much time with a mac.

Signed,

Klaus

rotfl  Nicely done. This could be a whole "Signed, Klaus" thread . . .

Windows - what's that?  eyebrow 

Signed

Klaus

Quoting Trav110 (Reply 9):
I just purchased a MacBook for school, and I find that the engineering is near flawless. Since the OS is created by the same people that make the hardware and much of the most heavily used (by me) software, so it works seamlessly. I haven't run into anything I can do on Windows that I can't do on a Mac, and so far i'm very happy.

eyebrow  Nice. I'm becoming a Mac fan the more and more I read here on Anet (I plan on getting a laptop someday - hopefully sooner than later, and my opinion is more fixed now).

-R
Living the American Dream

TSS

Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:00 pm

Macintosh here.

I started out on a Mac, and every time I venture into Windows territory I'm forced to think "Why is this so clunky and un-intuitive? Does Microsoft deliberately make things difficult?".

But that's just me.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

pencrypted

Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:02 pm

linux

filler filler
-Maty

AeroWesty

Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:10 pm

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 10):
This could be a whole "Signed, Klaus" thread .

You bitches!

Signed,
Klaus
International Homo of Mystery

UAXDXer

Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:28 pm

I use both but prefer MAC - much more user friendly
It takes a bug to hit a windsheild but it takes guts to stick

trav110

Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:48 pm

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 10):
(I plan on getting a laptop someday - hopefully sooner than later, and my opinion is more fixed now)

Fixed on which?

I used to think Mac fans were a bunch of harpy weirdos, or total yuppies... But I was pleastly suprised at how fast everything works and how solidly it's built. Give one a try!

DL777LAX
Topic Author

Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:08 pm

Slightly off topic, but what I've always wondered is how does windows/mac stack up against linux?
Blindly following anything is bad, unless of course your blind and your following a guide dog.

LH423

Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:18 pm

On a MacBook using OS X.

I love it except for a few minor cosmetic issues I'm having. A sliver off the top plate inexplicably broke off leaving a small access point to the inside which may or may not have contributed to my sleep light cutting out. However, I took my computer in and as soon as the parts arrive I will be getting a new top plate and bottom cover all for free. When Macs do have problems, Apple has great customer service to back up their products.

My first home computer back in 199...ummm, 3...was a Mac Perfoma 630. After that I switched to Windows but now I'm back to Mac for good.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

trav110

Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:18 pm

Quoting DL777LAX (Reply 16):
how does windows/mac stack up against linux

I tried loading Ubuntu (which is a popular version of Linux touted for it's "user friendly" interface) onto my 2 year old dell a couple months ago, just for a change (before I decided on a Mac). The drivers for my wireless card refused to work, which as I read was a pretty common problem. For the average user, Linux probably isn't for you. Ubuntu 7.04 runs smoothly and quickly, but as soon as you run into a problem it's HELL to figure out.

hawaiian717

Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:15 pm

Mac at home, Linux at work.

Slightly off topic, but what I've always wondered is how does windows/mac stack up against linux?

Modern Linux user interfaces more or less attempt to mimic Windows, with variations of course, and some things they do better (I love Konqueror as a file manager, and I sometimes have to remember to actually copy some text after I highlight it when I'm using a Mac or Windows, rather than just highlight to copy and middle-click to paste) and some things worse (wireless networking, multiple display configuration).

ManuCH
Crew

Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:38 pm

Mac at home, and unfortunately still Windows at work.
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

tmatt95

Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:13 pm

Linux (Ubuntu) and Windows (XP)

Matt

aloha73g

Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:04 pm

Windows. unfortunately.

Someday Mac, hopefully sooner rather than later!!

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

tootallsd

Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:53 pm

Windoze at work.

Mac at Home

Well actually I travel 75% of the time and I lug both computers around. I much prefer my Mac for ease of use, good behavior in odd environments, clarity and beauty of the display and general integration.

Goldenshield

Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:31 pm

XP and Linux here. (Plus, I still have a 98 partition on my Linux box that I may have to start using to compile some VB6 projects for another 98 machine—of which, you can't do natively in Mac, but there are other visually oriented languages for that.)

Quoting Hawaiian717 (Reply 19):
and some things worse (wireless networking, multiple display configuration).

Ubuntu is annoying when you have to configure things, becuase you have to constantly SUDO to get things done, which really adds to the frustration. Most other flavors (and I believe MAC OSX, too) allow you to go directly into root for heavy duty configuring, but it's not the preferred way for normal tasks.

The beautiful thing about Linux is that you can go right into most files and change them directly. Daemons can be restarted on the fly, and updates (for most flavors) are seamless.

Quoting Trav110 (Reply 18):
I tried loading Ubuntu (which is a popular version of Linux touted for it's "user friendly" interface) onto my 2 year old dell a couple months ago, just for a change (before I decided on a Mac).

Ubuntu 7.04 came out recently, and it DOES have various automatic methods of getting a wifi card working—be it ndiswrapper, madwifi, or another module. Of course, the down side of this is that it's only done while inside of GNOME or KDE. I've found the safer, cheaper, and least frustrating option is to just get a wireless bridge and hook a wire between the computer(s) and the bridge.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

ConcordeMach2

Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:33 pm

I use both, PC for gaming but Mac for everything else! I like the design of Macs much more.

Klaus

Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:12 pm

Macintosh for work (development) and for everything else. On relatively rare occasions I fire up Windows in Parallels to run Internet Explorer for (in)compatibility testing.

Yes. It is better. The user interface is much larger, so that viewing is easier. Those who disagree haven't spent much time with a mac.

This shows yet again that the use of emphasis should not be left to amateurs!  mischievous 

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 8):
I have 4 Windows machines around me right now.

What a predicament. Should we send help?

Windows is the only remaining major operating system nowadays which is not based on a Unix foundation.

All others (MacOS X included) use a Unix foundation and share much of their infrastructure.

While Windows rests uneasily on its inherited - and eroding - market share, Linux is progressively taking over the server-side IT infrastructure (or at least the part that was on Windows or other Unix variants before) while MacOS X is making inroads on the desktop.

For the user, there are basically three main options:

- Windows: Games and the shrinking number of Windows-only applications; usability: quirky and fragile, often tedious and frustrating

- Linux: Servers and backroom infrastructure, also for ambitious hobbyists with a penchant for top-to-bottom customization; usability: limited but bearable and quite reliable once configured properly (which requires substantial knowledge)

- MacOS X: Universal desktop use and lighter server applications; usability: defining the state of the art for years; "It just works" may sound trivial but covers most people's experiences the best

PCs are limited to either Windows or Linux, Macs can run those two as well but more importantly will also run MacOS X.

Cory6188

Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:13 pm

MacBook Pro here - and I wouldn't trade it for anything else. Although I will admit that Safari is a far-from-perfect internet browser...

trav110

Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:16 am

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 24):
Ubuntu 7.04 came out recently, and it DOES have various automatic methods of getting a wifi card working—be it ndiswrapper, madwifi, or another module.

Oh, I know, and I tried  headache  . Nothing I did worked, I think the wireless card was just unsupported. Also, I had far too little interest in the whole Linux thing to go out and buy a compatible one, I just switched back to Windows!

hawaiian717

Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:39 am

Quoting Tootallsd (Reply 23):
Well actually I travel 75% of the time and I lug both computers around.

You should see if work can get you a MacBook or MacBook Pro. Then you can have Mac OS X for your Mac stuff, and via Boot Camp and/or Parallels, Windows for work stuff. Yes, I know some companies will frown on using company systems for personal use, and may already have nice agreements in place with Dell, HP, etc, but if its an option, it would save carrying around two laptops.

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 24):
Ubuntu is annoying when you have to configure things, becuase you have to constantly SUDO to get things done, which really adds to the frustration. Most other flavors (and I believe MAC OSX, too) allow you to go directly into root for heavy duty configuring, but it's not the preferred way for normal tasks.

I believe Ubuntu does the same thing Apple does, and configures the root account in such a way that you can't directly login to it. Try sudo su, enter your user account password when it prompts, and that should get you a root prompt to save you having to type sudo a bunch of times to get configuration done. I don't have an Ubuntu install anymore to try it, but it works on OS X.

IFEMaster

Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:17 am

Mac. My life is finally entirely Microsoft free...
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

freckles

Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:37 am

Used to use Windows, then was introduced to Mac which now:  hearts  and i'm sorry if it's too cliche that the viewing is nicer on a Mac but if you look at any type face on Windows and look at the same thing on a Mac you will see a difference!

Not that i have a problem with Windows of course.. :P

JBo

Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:53 am

I use Windows currently, but intend on purchasing a Mac once I have enough saved for it. Depending on your purpose, they each have their advantages. Mac's aren't optimal if you're big on gaming (though is it any different with the Intel Macs?)

But if you're into things like graphic design or multimedia, Macs have an edge over Windows.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

ThePRGuy

Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:57 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 26):
desktop.

And the laptop market of course...after doubling the market share of laptops last year.

I've always used macs - and prefer them for sure - although my PowerBook just died again. Got 3 macs in this house + a windows PC which I do use. I don't begrudge windows, I just prefer OS X. I won't touch linux - except on my dedicated where I use freeBSD

Alex
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

halls120

Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:05 am

Quoting TSS (Reply 11):
Macintosh here.

I started out on a Mac, and every time I venture into Windows territory I'm forced to think "Why is this so clunky and un-intuitive? Does Microsoft deliberately make things difficult?".

But that's just me.

Windows at work, Mac at home.

Every morning at work, I think how nice it would be if we'd shift to Linux or Mac. Then reality hits, as I decide what I need to save to my desktop so that when the serves crash, I can still work.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

RayChuang

Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:09 am

My computer runs Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2. Reasonably stable, and doesn't hog system resources like Windows Vista does.  Smile

JAGflyer

Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:11 am

Desktop: Dell Dimension 9200
Laptop: MacBook Pro
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

Halcyon

Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:16 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 26):
Should we send help?

Gladly, but I'm ever so poor!  Big grin

kmh1956

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:38 am

Mac at home.... have an imac desktop and I have an iBook G4 laptop.

Windows at work, only because I have no choice......I got a brand new Dell 3 weeks ago....I've had 6 viruses so far (even with all the school's filters) and it's frozen on me twice. My ibook is two years old...never had a virus, and it's never frozen on me or crashed. PCs are such delicate freakin' things.....
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

TheRedBaron

Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:02 pm

MAC Book Pro FTW. at home also a Imac Intel 24.
At work I have too many Mac to count...
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

Klaus

Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:18 pm

Quoting JBo (Reply 32):
Depending on your purpose, they each have their advantages. Mac's aren't optimal if you're big on gaming (though is it any different with the Intel Macs?)

Even Windows games will run on most Macs, but hardcore gamers are currently still better served with PCs.

Since several labels are currently porting their games directly to the Mac platform, I would expect that Apple will respond with new machines which are more targeted to gamers than the current ones are. Although for most people playing games the existing Macs will probably suffice already (with more restrictions in the models with integrated graphics like the black or white MacBook, the Mac mini and the entry-level 17" iMac).

Quoting JBo (Reply 32):
But if you're into things like graphic design or multimedia, Macs have an edge over Windows.

The advantage is not just in individual applications; It is in the overall ease of use and lack of aggravation. There are relatively few applications which would really require you to start up Windows on your Mac; Most applications can be had for MacOS X directly, and in many cases they are more pleasant and/or more useful than their Windows counterparts.

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 33):
And the laptop market of course...after doubling the market share of laptops last year.

You are right, of course. I had made the distinction between servers and desktop machines and forgot to explicitly mention laptops since they are in the same "non-server" class in this regard. But the designation "desktop" was indeed misleading there.

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 37):

Quoting Klaus,reply=26:
Should we send help?

Gladly, but I'm ever so poor!

Where there are four PCs there would have been space for a Mac as well...

tmatt95

Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:35 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 40):
Even Windows games will run on most Macs, but hardcore gamers are currently still better served with PCs.

Since several labels are currently porting their games directly to the Mac platform, I would expect that Apple will respond with new machines which are more targeted to gamers than the current ones are. Although for most people playing games the existing Macs will probably suffice already

That is a very rosy picture you paint there Klaus  Smile . I think when moving platform to another operating system unless you want to dual boot or install parallels ( two methods for running Windows on a mac and then running the applications through windows) macs cannot run windows programs. Why pay for a mac and then for parallels and then for windows (insert your version here) when you can just buy a Windows laptop? The Mac versions of software are however very promising and it is great to see vendors create software for more than one platform (most application which can run on a Mac also have a Linux version created as well).

Before bashing back to me.... I have the same view on Linux running applications and or games  Smile

Quoting Klaus (Reply 40):

The advantage is not just in individual applications; It is in the overall ease of use and lack of aggravation. There are relatively few applications which would really require you to start up Windows on your Mac; Most applications can be had for MacOS X directly, and in many cases they are more pleasant and/or more useful than their Windows counterparts.

hehehe I love it how you pass an opinion as a fact  Wink  duck 

Klaus

Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:12 pm

Quoting Tmatt95 (Reply 41):
That is a very rosy picture you paint there Klaus    .

How so?

I think when moving platform to another operating system unless you want to dual boot or install parallels ( two methods for running Windows on a mac and then running the applications through windows) macs cannot run windows programs.

That is about the same as saying that there is not way of getting through this wall without using the open door...!

Why pay for a mac and then for parallels and then for windows (insert your version here) when you can just buy a Windows laptop?

Boot Camp (for dual-booting Windows and MacOS X) is free. Parallels costs a bit but offers much more convenience, for which it is quite cheap.

And most switchers already own a Windows license or can get one cheaply (as in an OEM version), so why step down to a Windows-limited PC when you've got the option of getting a Macintosh which can do it all?

The Mac versions of software are however very promising and it is great to see vendors create software for more than one platform (most application which can run on a Mac also have a Linux version created as well).

With its rapid growth rate the Mac platform is increasingly attractive to vendors... especially since the portion of users who actually pay for added software is much higher among Mac users.

hehehe I love it how you pass an opinion as a fact

I don't. But fact is that my opinion is based on many years of practical experience with various platforms, the Mac included. And the fact that by far most people who know both Windows and MacOS prefer the Mac is a good indication that my opinion may not be so far off the mark after all...

HAWK21M

Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:15 pm

Never tried MAC.Always used Windows.
Earlier 95...then 98...now XP....maybe later Vista.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Asturias

Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:53 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 43):
Never tried MAC.Always used Windows.

Well, MACs are useful for identification when connecting to ethernet or WiFi, so you're bound to try it one time. I'm surprised you're not doing that now, in fact! I guess you must be using dial-up or ISDN to connect to the internet.

Oh, and you'd be surprised, but MACs are fully supported by Windows. It's a networking thing, but you know. It is true.

On the other hand, perhaps you'd want to try a Mac one day. Fine computers.

saludos

Asturias
Tonight we fly

swiftski

Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:28 am

Mac.

Have used Leopard and it's getting even better.

jamesbuk

Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:32 am

Windows XP Media center edition.

Not going to upgrade to vista. Ever. I've used it for a few hours and decided its a lump of crap. Not going to switch to Mac either as I know how to use windows efficiently so I never have problems, touch wood.

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

LH423

Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:09 am

Quoting Cory6188 (Reply 27):
MacBook Pro here - and I wouldn't trade it for anything else. Although I will admit that Safari is a far-from-perfect internet browser...

Oh, Safari is crap. I used it for the first week of having my new mac, then downloaded Firefox. Firefox, for my use, is as good as any other browser. Furthermore, I like the use of tabs versus individual windows.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Klaus

Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:29 am

Quoting LH423 (Reply 47):
Oh, Safari is crap. I used it for the first week of having my new mac, then downloaded Firefox. Firefox, for my use, is as good as any other browser. Furthermore, I like the use of tabs versus individual windows.

Safari works very well with tabs. It's not perfect by any stretch, but so isn't any other browser.

Firefox is a mess under MacOS X - it is completely alien to the platform due to a very sloppy portation.

Halcyon

Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:33 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 48):

The newest version of firefox has been acting weird for me. It has a tendency to randomly shut down (the entire program all in the blink of an eye), tell me that scripts have stopped running, and stranger still is the fact that it will sometimes rearrange the windows. This is happening to me and a few friends, but I can't figure out why.

PS-Oh, and those 4 computers are used for LAN gaming...I'm a college student now!  Wink

[Edited 2007-07-16 02:38:34]