gordonsmall

Choosing A New Guitar ....

Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:00 am

Hi folks,

I'm in the market for a new guitar as my current one is starting to show (and sound!) it's age.

Currently I've got a 1999 Fender Strat deluxe in 3 tone sunburst poly finish with vintage noiseless pickups.

I've been thinking about a Fender Highway One Strat - anyone got one and care to share their opinion? Any other guitars you would recommend?

Thanks,
Gordon.
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

IFEMaster

RE: Choosing A New Guitar ....

Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:08 am

What's your budget?

I picked up an Xaviere 550 last year from guitarfetish.com. For budget guitars from an unknown name, this guitar BLEW ME AWAY. I've since bought two other models from them. Incredible guitars.

If you want to spend more, I recommend either the Eric Johnson, John Mayer, or Mark Knopfler signature strats from Fender. All are very solid guitars with unique sounds.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

cfalk

RE: Choosing A New Guitar ....

Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:15 am

If you want tone, nothing will ever beat the Gibson Les Paul.

But for the amateur who often plays sitting down, it might not be the most comfortable guitar to play, not to mention that it's a heavy SOB.

The most hand-friendly guitars (i.e. comfortable) I've ever played are the Gibson SG, which has a clasic tone all its own:

And the Ibanez JS series (Joe Satriani's signature series)

Here's a tip for the Ibanez. This guitar was designed for Joe Satriani, who wanted good tone but has to use very thin strings for his stunt-guitar playing (He uses .008 or even .007, I think). If you put standard or heavy-guage strings on a JS guitar, and you have one powerful-sounding guitar.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.