mdsh00

Moving To Brooklyn - Please Help!

Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:12 am

So I basically have about 3 weeks to find a place to live in Brooklyn, near the Long Island College Hospital, while here in California!

It seems like the Brooklyn Heights area is safe, but any New Yorkers here know areas right by there which are safe and have "decent" rent? I don't think I can afford more than $1600-1700.

Thanks in advance!

P.S.: what are "brokerage fees" for? The concept is pretty absent in California. Are apartments with broker fees off limits to potential tenants applying without a broker?
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

aa61hvy

RE: Moving To Brooklyn - Please Help!

Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:19 am

Manav, leaving LA for NYC? Nice man, I might be 20 months behind you!
Go big or go home

TWFirst

Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:30 am

I live in Manhattan. The housing hunt in NYC is the biggest pain in the ass. Yes, Brooklyn Heights is safe... it's beautiful! And expensive... but you should be able to find a studio in the price range you cite. Other parts of Brooklyn that are desirable are Park Slope and Williamsburg.

A brokers fee for rentals is foreign in the rest of the country, save here. It's highway robbery. If the apartment is offered as a "fee" apartment, you will have to pay the brokers fee... you will be required to use the building's "broker"... it's nuts. And it's usually around 10-15% of the first year's rent. And you have to pay in cash or a cashier's check.. can you believe that? However, there are several "no fee" apartments offered... check Craigs List as one possible source. New buildings typically don't have fees.

E-mail me if you have more questions. When I first moved to NYC, I'd lived in the same apt for 7 years.. .then moved 4 times in 3 years here!
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

mdsh00

Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:39 am

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 1):
Manav, leaving LA for NYC? Nice man, I might be 20 months behind you!

Yup, doing my rotations there. Should be exciting!

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 2):
Yes, Brooklyn Heights is safe... it's beautiful! And expensive... but you should be able to find a studio in the price range you cite. Other parts of Brooklyn that are desirable are Park Slope and Williamsburg.

I was looking at a map of Brooklyn and it seems like the neighborhoods of Cobble Hill, Boerum Hill, Carroll Gardens, and Red Hook are near walking distance to the hospital (this part is important for me). Are all those areas decent and should I just forget about trying to get a place with parking?
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

TWFirst

Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:50 am

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 3):
I was looking at a map of Brooklyn and it seems like the neighborhoods of Cobble Hill, Boerum Hill, Carroll Gardens, and Red Hook are near walking distance to the hospital (this part is important for me). Are all those areas decent and should I just forget about trying to get a place with parking?

You should definitely forget about trying to get a place with parking.... because they don't exist. Parking is OUTRAGEOUS in NYC. Red Hook is a very cool, interesting and "up and coming" area... I don't know much about the other neighborhoods you listed.... although I believe Carroll Gardens is also supposed to be really nice.

Remember also, here in NYC, walking distance isn't critical if the hospital is near the subway... then you have the flexibility of living near the subway line.

But dude... do yourself a favor... ditch the car!! It'll only cause you grief here.

copaair737

Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:52 am

Look into Bensonhurst. That's a pretty nice area, and reasonable.

I like it. Then again, I'm Italian.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

mdsh00

Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:30 am

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 4):
Remember also, here in NYC, walking distance isn't critical if the hospital is near the subway... then you have the flexibility of living near the subway line.

You are right about that, but the nearest subway stop is the F,G train about 1/2 mile away. Late night walks around town aren't my greatest idea.

Continental

Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:33 am

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 3):
Yup, doing my rotations there. Should be exciting!

How easy was it to get rotations in the US going to a school in the Caribbean? From what I've heard, it seems they apply greater pressure on students from the Caribbean to ensure they meet the standards and typically expect excellent USMLE scores. Is it very difficult? I'm just curious. I hope to be attending a medical school here in the US come fall 09'. The more information, the better!  Smile

mdsh00

Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:11 pm

Quoting Continental (Reply 7):

Rotations are easy to get in the US since you're still in med school. The school negotiates spots in hospitals in the US and the UK and schedules the students in. Actually from our school, there's some good options like NY Methodist, Maimonides, Brooklyn Hospital, etc. Some of these are also affiliated with schools like Cornell, Mount Sinai Medical School, etc.

Residency is another matter but its not THAT difficult for Caribbean grads.

captaink

Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:30 pm

there

Quoting Mdsh00 (Thread starter):
So I basically have about 3 weeks to find a place to live in Brooklyn, near the Long Island College Hospital, while here in California!

Wow you your done with Grenada and St. Vincent, and since you've been there and left, I haven't returned. How was it when you left? Still Club Bannanas? HAHA

Hey congrats on New York. My family still lives there, but I am no authority on renting etc, I still have a room at home. The other guys seem to be on top of their stuff though. I am gonna support them on the living near enough to subway routes, and forgetting the car. Parking is one thing, and I find insurance etc to be another, ie rather expensive in New York.
There is something special about planes....

mdsh00

Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:44 pm

Quoting Captaink (Reply 9):
Still Club Bannanas? HAHA

I dunno when was the last time you went to Bananas but it's pretty big now with the Carib cave!

captaink

Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:59 pm

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 10):
I dunno when was the last time you went to Bananas but it's pretty big now with the Carib cave!

About 2 years ago I went. Should be visiting in December, I will report.. HAHA.
There is something special about planes....

jfk69

Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:23 am

Everything that has been said is correct. The areas you are looking for are all decent areas to live in for where you have to be.

Thos are all up and coming "yuppie" areas. As safe as it looks people have to realize that it is still Brooklyn and use the same caution you would in any other large city.

In regards to brokers, the average is actually closer to 15% nowadays but many buildings do not have exclusive brokers so you should have a larger selection. You may be able to pull a 1 bedroom in an average building but most probably a studio in a decent building.

Good luck

TWFirst

Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:51 am

Quoting JFK69 (Reply 12):
In regards to brokers, the average is actually closer to 15% nowadays but many buildings do not have exclusive brokers so you should have a larger selection.

Wasn't sure if Brooklyn was 15% as well.... I managed to negotiate down to 12% here in Manhattan. And I concur with your second sentence above... especially new construction.

mdsh00

Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:40 am

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 13):
Wasn't sure if Brooklyn was 15% as well.... I managed to negotiate down to 12% here in Manhattan. And I concur with your second sentence above... especially new construction.

Oh so you can negotiate that? I see. Thanks for the information!

copaair737

Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:45 am

Probably want to get the advice of this guy...he's from Brooklyn.

www.thekidfrombrooklyn.com
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

jfk69

Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:47 am

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 13):

I work in Real estate mgmt. and I have been seeing about 15% in all the boroughs. Yes it is negotiable and I think you got a good deal (if there is such a thing with a broker) with your 12%.

Don't be afraid to ask to bargain a little bit....It really can't hurt to try.

If you do want to look in Manhattan, I can PM you the name of our brokers who we use if you would like. Unfortunately we don't deal much in the areas you are looking for so I can't be of total help.

TWFirst

Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:48 am

Quoting JFK69 (Reply 16):
Yes it is negotiable and I think you got a good deal (if there is such a thing with a broker) with your 12%.

But it was a battle...and it was ugly. Wouldn't want to do it again EVER. Had been subletting the place for 1.5 years before the leaseholder didn't renew and we got the lease.... so the broker didn't even show us the place... didn't do ANYTHING and made $4000. Highway robbery.