SmithAir747
Topic Author

Moving To San Francisco!

Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:52 pm

Hi you all!

This evening, I leave Fort Wayne, IN, for San Francisco, to move into my apartment at the UCSF Mission Bay campus. I will be starting my PhD course in craniofacial embryology, as some of you might know.

I will be driving all the way over there with my stuff (with the help of my sister with her pickup truck too). I should be arriving this Friday (July 20), because I am required to move into my UCSF apartment that day. I'm in for quite a long road trip; the longest I have ever driven is Orlando to Fort Lauderdale in 2001.

My route from Fort Wayne will be: US 30 from Fort Wayne to I-65 near Chicago, where I will take I-80 from there.

I-80 will take me through Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, and California before terminating in San Francisco.

Wish me luck!

SmithAir747--beginning a new adventure in my life
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

CastleIsland

RE: Moving To San Francisco!

Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:57 pm

Hey, good luck Francis. It's a long road you're undetaking (literally and figuratively), but it is honorable and will no doubt bring you success.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

TSS

Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:00 am

Good luck and have a great time, SmithAir747!  bigthumbsup 
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

National757

Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:04 am

Best of luck, sounds like one heck of a roadtrip you are about to take. Take plenty of pics!

mirrodie

Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:06 am

Hey Francis, best of luck with the road ahead and enjoy the drive(Lit. and Fig., as Castle Island put it.)!

Best of luck with your continued studies.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

WindowSeat

Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:31 am

SmithAir747,

Welcome to San Francisco! If you do need absolutely anything to make your move to San Francisco smoother, please do let me know. I'll be glad to help, and I mean it. I live here.

Welcome again,

WindowSeat

[Edited 2007-07-19 03:34:25]
I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards.

JAGflyer

Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:47 am

Wow, Wouldn't it be easier to ship your stuff and fly? IMHO, its worth the money.
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

Halcyon

Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:28 pm

Have a safe trip and hope you like your new home! Enjoy the scenery on the way there, too. Heavens knows you deserve it...your study is not easy work.  Smile

Aaron747

Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:31 pm

Moving to San Francisco eh? Get ready to dispose of any and all disposable income!
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

AA787823

Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:18 pm

Quoting SmithAir747 (Thread starter):
craniofacial embryology

What the hell is that???????

When you come move here I will take you to a very special massage parlour with a happy ending...

Signed,
Superfly
F.U.R.P.....Families Under Reduced Pay

Aaron747

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:34 pm

^
Well if you knew anything about Latin elements of the English language at all, you'd have been able to determine that his studies have something to do with the skulls and faces of embryos. Emphasis on bone structure and growth, I would guess.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

dsmflyer

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:08 pm

Good old I-80. Stop by in Iowa City and I'll buy you a beer. Even though you're probably past Iowa City by now. Good luck with your trip.

copaair737

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:09 pm

Welcome to the greatest area in the US.
I love it.

Nice to have another Bay Area person here.
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

WunalaYann

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:26 pm

All the best, buddy, for your studies and the move to the left coast!

I don't know about friendly people with flowers in their air but hey, you'll be much closer to Australia which, in itself, is already a New Age experience...  Wink

More seriously, best of success in your enterprises!

Y.

ScarletHarlot

Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:42 pm

Francis, very good luck - hope your drive is going well and that you settle in to your new place and program nicely. I have no doubt that you will be very successful. Hope to see you at one of the West Coast A.net meets sometime!
But that was when I ruled the world

57AZ

Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:12 am

Enjoy the excellent public transportation network-save yourself money and the stress of driving! San Francisco Municipal Railway has one of the most efficient and diverse networks in the world. They operate everything from the municipal transit buses to vintage trolleys and cable cars.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

Speedbirdie

Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:16 am

Quoting AA787823 (Reply 9):
What the hell is that???????

Why do you have to be so bloody rude?

Good Luck on everything, I cant wait to visit San Fran!
All the best!! Big grin
Never give up..

Confuscius

Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:01 am

Enjoy your new surroundings. However, if you ever get bored of San Francisco just cross the bay to Hayward.
Ain't I a stinker?

JAGflyer

Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:01 am

Craniofacial Embryology is the study of skull/facial features of embryos. This is a very interesting thing to study especially for Francis who had Treacher Collins Syndrome as a young boy. He has come a long way through surgeries and looks really great despite the complications of having TCS.
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

SmithAir747
Topic Author

Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:33 am

Well, everyone, I have arrived safely in San Francisco! Thanks for your encouragement!

I arrived late last evening at around 7 or 8pm and began moving into my UCSF Mission Bay studio apartment on 3rd St, a short walk south of the AT&T Park.

It was a long drive (an understatement)! My sister (in her pickup truck with my furniture) and I (in my Pontiac Bonneville loaded with my stuff) left Fort Wayne, IN, at around 7 or 8pm on Tuesday, July 17. We took US 30 from Fort Wayne to Chicago, where we got onto I-65, then I-94 and I-80. From Chicago on we stayed on I-80 the whole way.

The first night we stayed in an Econo Lodge in Princeton, IL (we checked in at around 4:00am) after driving most of the night. There was a heavy thunderstorm that night.

The next day (July 18) we drove through Iowa and most of Nebraska, mostly flat land. We slept in a rest area off I-80 just over 100 miles from the Nebraska-Wyoming border, not having been able to find a decent motel.

On July 19, we drove through beautiful Wyoming, Utah, and part of Nevada--all very beautiful. In Utah, just west of Salt Lake City, we drove through the barren, desolate, almost extraterrestrial Bonneville Salt Flats. It was like being on another planet, so lonely and desolate, as I told my mom on the phone. She asked me if I had seen any aliens! At the rest area in the salt flats, I collected a shot glass full of salt as a souvenir. In Nevada, we drove through the mountains and the Great Basin. I was almost sure I saw a UFO in the clouds above the mountains, as the sun was setting! We stayed in an Econo Lodge in Elko, NV that night.

On July 20, we drove through the western half of Nevada and into California. Upon entering California that late afternoon, I-80 was winding, climbing, and falling through the mountains, especially through the Tahoe National Forest. From Sacramento on to San Francisco, I-80 was four or five lanes and full of bumper-to-bumper traffic. We arrived in San Francisco that evening, crossing over the Oakland Bay Bridge. That night we moved my stuff into my apartment.

My UCSF Mission Bay studio apartment is 379 square feet, with a kitchen and bathroom. It's nice and cosy enough for me, and I have a great view of the AT&T Park to the north and the ships and piers of the Bay to the east.

I brought just about everything I own with me in tons of boxes--including lots of books, my medical collection, my childhood artifacts, what not--from home, as my mother is thinking of downsizing from our old ex-funeral home near Fort Wayne, IN, to a smaller home in the near future. So I cleared everything of mine out!

I need to locate a grocery store/supermarket near me, as well as a Wal-Mart/Target/other big-box store close to me. Anything close to Mission Bay?

SmithAir747

copaair737

Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:38 am

Quoting SmithAir747 (Reply 19):

I need to locate a grocery store/supermarket near me, as well as a Wal-Mart/Target/other big-box store close to me. Anything close to Mission Bay?

There's Safeways all over SF, but no box stores in city limits.

On July 19, we drove through beautiful Wyoming, Utah, and part of Nevada--all very beautiful. In Utah, just west of Salt Lake City, we drove through the barren, desolate, almost extraterrestrial Bonneville Salt Flats. It was like being on another planet, so lonely and desolate, as I told my mom on the phone. She asked me if I had seen any aliens! At the rest area in the salt flats, I collected a shot glass full of salt as a souvenir. In Nevada, we drove through the mountains and the Great Basin. I was almost sure I saw a UFO in the clouds above the mountains, as the sun was setting! We stayed in an Econo Lodge in Elko, NV that night.

Got to love the Salt Flats. The SIlver Island Mountains there yield some of the greatest hiking I've ever done. Elko is full of mutants. LOL. South of Wendover is Utah's Area 51, all sorts of odd things go on there.

SmithAir747
Topic Author

Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:42 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 20):
South of Wendover is Utah's Area 51, all sorts of odd things go on there.

Like what? I'm really interested to know!

SmithAir747

copaair737

Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:47 am

Quoting SmithAir747 (Reply 21):

Like what? I'm really interested to know!

Basically anything you can think of. Odd light beams, Homeland Security stuff, etc.

WindowSeat

Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:34 pm

Hey there SmithAir747,

You've moved into a very nice neighbourhood of the city. New and upcoming. You have a Safeway pretty close to where you are, also a big Barnes & Noble. There is the 3rd street T line that will bring you downtown into Embarcadero/Montgomery or tourist places like Powell/Union Square. If you wish to explore the Mission district get off at Church or if you want to check out the Castro then it is the last stop for the T line.

I'm sure you have heard about microclimates and your area pretty much sees sun all the time. Just like the mission where I live  Wink Also, if you intend to get your California licence or get your car registered in CA, be sure to get your car undergo a smog test before you go and also please make sure you get an appointment online on the DMV website. You'll skip the line at the DMV and you'll be done in a half hour.

That's all I can think of for now, but if there is anything I can do, or if you want to know more about the city, let me know. Welcome again, to San Francisco.

cheers
WindowSeat.
I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards.

Boeing4ever

Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:45 pm

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 6):
Wow, Wouldn't it be easier to ship your stuff and fly? IMHO, its worth the money.

And miss the sights!?

I drove here in LA from Chicago...I-88, I-80 across Iowa and Nebraska (booooring, thus a fast drive), then juked south on I-76 through Denver onto I-70 through the Rockies. That was the slowest day of the trip...had to stop for pics.  Smile Beautiful scenery. Of course I-70 through Utah is well, desolate. Green River is the last spec of civilization for 100 miles, and it was frankly a depressing town. Still beautiful scenery, but I prefer lush green mountain areas over desert. Continued onto I-15 south, saw canyons in Arizona, went through desert and Las Vegas in Nevada, then across the Mojave desert before finally arriving in El Segundo on the coast. It was well worth it.

The drive back when my internship ends should provide more scenic photo opportunities.  Smile

Welcome to California SmithAir. Ignore the political BS and enjoy San Francisco. Haven't been there yet, but I hear it's beautiful. Keeping work/time constraints in mind, I'm going to be spending my summer in SoCal.

When you get a chance, go spotting at LAX. Trust me, it's well worth it. I'm glad I'm living so close to it right now.

airplane B4e-Forever New Frontiers airplane 

Superfly

Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:11 pm

SmithAir747:
WELCOME TO SAN FRANCISCO! ! ! !  highfive 

Sounds like you had a wonderful road trip too.

It's nice and cosy enough for me, and I have a great view of .............. and the ships and piers of the Bay to the east.

Lucky b@$tard! Big grin

No Wal-Mart trash in this city but there is a Costco that is very close to you over on 11th. street. Plenty of Safeways and Target is just a 15 minute drive away on I-280 at Serremonte Plaza in Colma. That is in the flight path of all the beautiful 747s and A340s enroute to Asia and Europe.

Quoting WindowSeat (Reply 23):
Also, if you intend to get your California licence or get your car registered in CA, be sure to get your car undergo a smog test before you go

I know of a shop that will pass every car.  Wink

Quoting WindowSeat (Reply 23):
make sure you get an appointment online on the DMV website. You'll skip the line at the DMV and you'll be done in a half hour.

But then he'll miss out on all the interesting characters that hang out at the DMV.  Wink
Bring back the Concorde

SlamClick

Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:46 pm

Welcome to my favorite time zone. If I'd caught this thread earlier I'd have stood on the pedestrian bridge near St. Mary's hospital and waved as you went through Reno.

Congratulation on your undertaking and I wish you much success with it. Do try to see some of northern California while you are in the neighborhood. Watch out for Superfly though, if he takes you to Burning Man it'll set your studies back a year. (I think he smokes that funny stuff!)

Speaking of the Fly:

Quoting Superfly (Reply 25):
Colma

Colma is also one of California's largest cities with a population of about 1,501,100 people. You should know, however that 1.5 million of them are dead, including Wyatt Earp and Joe DiMaggio. The cemetaries there are something to behold.

Oh, feel free to call it "Frisco." Anyone who might have objected has moved to Mendocino or Nevada (according to their political leanings) by now.
Same with the cable cars, you may call them "trolleys" if you like. Oh! Herb Caen is dead.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

Aaron747

Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:13 am

Herb wasn't even a native San Franciscan. That's what made his snobbery so touche.

SmithAir747
Topic Author

Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:07 am

A little more about my view from my UCSF apartment on 3rd Street:

To the north, I can see the Oakland Bay Bridge and the AT&T Park. Last night, there was a game going on, and the stadium was all lit up--including the Jumbotron and the big green Coke bottle. Also there is construction going on in the north side of the Mission Bay campus of UCSF, presumably another big research building or medical building.

Along the east side of 3rd Street, there is more construction going on--I don't know what buildings they are, but these are being built from poured reinforced concrete and glass. What buildings are those? The piers on the east side of 3rd Street are busy with huge ships--mainly cargo ships with black hulls and white superstructures.

I also see a large passenger/cruise-type ship with a white hull and superstructure and oddly enough, two green funnels with a colorful design on the upper half of each green funnel. Anyone know what ship this is? Her name is on the bow, but I cannot read it from that distance. I would love to know more about this white cruise-type ship--her name, her age, registry, purpose, etc. (I love cruise ships and liners, too!)

SmithAir747

Superfly

Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:47 am

Quoting SmithAir747 (Reply 28):
(I love cruise ships and liners, too!)

There is a dry dock to the south of you were they refurbish cruise ships. Not sure which one that is. I did see a large white cruise ship from my bedroom window last week. It was about 5:00AM and it was about 3 miles out at sea coming in to the bay.
Bring back the Concorde

SlamClick

Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:54 am

Well there are a couple of interesting things to be seen from your apartment.

First is the world's largest pinhole camera. The western half of the Bay Bridge is comprised of four suspension towers and a single pier right in the middle of them, rising only to road-deck height. That pier is hollow and there is a small hole in one side of it. This hole projects an image on the interior wall, of the underside of the bridge deck.

In the middle of the Bay Bridge is a wooded island, you drove through the tunnel on your way into the City. That is Yerba Buena Island. Just to the north of it, directly behind it, as seen from your new place, is the man-made Treasure Island. That is the site of the old Pan American clipper terminal. Their Martin 130 and Boeing 314 Clippers plied the Pacific routes from there.

Across the bay, just to the right of the big container port is the old Alameda Naval Air Station. It is closed now, sadly, and the site of nothing more exciting than about half the Mythbuster stunts.

If you can look farther to the right, you can see what remains of the old shipyards at Hunters Point. That and the yards at Vallejo were just about my favorite parts of the SF Bay.

You will see ships drop anchor just about anywhere south of the Bay Bridge, awaiting their turn at the port facilities. They will swing on the hook, stern-south when the tide is coming in and stern-north when it is going out. Most of the shipping is now either at the container port on the Oakland side, or at the petroleum ports up around Richmond. I do remember "stick ships" unloading cargo all along the embarcadero in years gone by.

The very land you walk on, down near China Basin may be dredged up out of the bay. When they do construction anywhere from PacBell to the embarcadero they often find the remains of old wooden ships that were abandoned and sank during the gold rush days and have since been filled over. The dredge and fill plans were once more ambitious than they are now. I have a 1907 street map of The City that shows streets (that don't actually exist) clear out past the first tower of the Bay Bridge. (If the SF historical society hadn't been so snotty to me on the phone the 60x84 inch map would be theirs now) Anyway, there are dozens, scores of wooden sailing ships abandoned and sunk in the bay between you and Yerba Buena island.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

Superfly

Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:05 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 30):
When they do construction anywhere from PacBell to the embarcadero they often find the remains of old wooden ships that were abandoned and sank during the gold rush days and have since been filled over.

Two years ago, I saw an old hull of a Gold Rush era ship when an old structure was torn down to build a new building on the corner of Clay & Battery.
Montgomery street is the natural coastline of San Francisco. From Montgomery street to the Embarcadero is all landfill.
The houseing complex where SmithAir747 is on landfill which has the most violent movement and sustains most damage during an earthquake. I hope he has a top floor apartment. Ironically, the Aldea houseing complex is on solid bedrock which shakes the least and safest during and earthquake.
SmithAir747, you should have listened to me.   wave 

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 30):
(If the SF historical society hadn't been so snotty to me on the phone the 60x84 inch map would be theirs now)

Glad you held off on your donation. Perhaps you could put it on eBay and have someone notify them of your listing and put a high reserve on it.  yes 
Serves those snobs right. I bet they are the NIMBYs of the worse kind.

[Edited 2007-07-24 22:13:36]
Bring back the Concorde

SmithAir747
Topic Author

Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:02 am

I did some walking today from UCSF Mission Bay up to the AT&T Ballpark (walking up 3rd Street) and took some photos of the area.

I found out what that white cruise ship near UCSF Mission Bay was: It's the Oceanic. I took a photo of her and afterwards, when zooming in on the photo, I read her name.

Anyone know about the cruise ship Oceanic? How old is she? What's her history?

By the way, as I was walking back to UCSF from Borders, 2 or 3 guys tried to sell me "scalped" tickets to tonight's Giants game. I've always wondered how "scalping" works. Where do they get these tickets--are they real ones they bought beforehand, or are they counterfeit?

SmithAir747

[Edited 2007-07-25 04:05:50]

DC10extender

Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:27 pm

All I can say is lucky you.
Did you ever read on your birth certificate that life is fair? Thats cause its not there.

DL777LAX

Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:41 pm

I can't believe no one said ANYTHING about In N Out.

Seriously, just try it. A double double animal style with fries and a Neapolitan.
Blindly following anything is bad, unless of course your blind and your following a guide dog.

WindowSeat

Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:38 am

Quoting DL777LAX (Reply 34):
I can't believe no one said ANYTHING about In N Out.

True. There is an In-N-Out by the airport. Really good.

Superfly

Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:40 am

Quoting WindowSeat (Reply 35):
True. There is an In-N-Out by the airport. Really good.

...and Fisherman's Wharf.
Bring back the Concorde