Confuscius
Topic Author

What To Do When The Big One Hits?

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:44 am

I'm new to the bay area and I live a couple of miles from the Hayward Fault. I haven't experienced a fairly big earthquake. What should I do when a large magnitude earthqauke occurs?

Should I go into the basement and cover up with a mattress when I know it's coming. Or if there's no basement, go to an interior bathoom without windows, get in the bathtub and cover up with mattress.

Or just run out the door?
Ain't I a stinker?

desertjets

RE: What To Do When The Big One Hits?

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:49 am

Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

AsstChiefMark

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:50 am

Stand in an interior doorway. An archway is best. As soon as the quake is over and if it's safe to do so, turn off the gas and water main valves. Some homes are equipped with automatic valves.

http://www.abag.ca.gov/bayarea/eqmaps/eqmaps.html

http://www.data.scec.org/recenteqs.html

[Edited 2007-07-18 20:53:57]
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

ManuCH
Crew

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:52 am

Try asking AsstChiefMark, he's from Wisconsin and knows how to deal with earthquakes  duck   Silly
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

Kieron747

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:54 am

Quoting Confuscius (Thread starter):

Well I don't know what I'll do when "the big one hits".. You mean when I lose my virginity right?

Signed,

AirPacific747
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.

Confuscius
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:57 am

Try asking AsstChiefMark, he's from Wisconsin and knows how to deal with earthquakes

I'm sure when the big cheesehead thingie falls, it creates a fairly large tremor.

Ain't I a stinker?

AeroWesty

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:58 am

If it's really a "Big One", like 7.0 or greater, there really isn't much you can do, but just hold on for the ride if you're indoors. When I was awoken by the Northridge Quake at 4:30 in the morning, I was literally tossed on my ass out of bed, and couldn't move due to all the shaking going on, even though I'd landed right in front of the sliding glass doors out to my patio. I've been caught all sorts of places in quakes, including 9 stories up on a catwalk in a quake with much less force, and there's nothing you can really do.

Just make sure you quake-proof yourself as much as possible, like not hanging pictures or anything else that can fall from the wall onto you over or near your bed.
International Homo of Mystery

Pope

Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:09 am

What should I do when a large magnitude earthqauke occurs?

Start blaming others (especially the government) for why you haven't purchased adequate earthquake insurance to protect your financial interest when this event occurs. Then demand that the government and the rest of the taxpayers make you financially whole.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

YYZAeroEng

Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:10 am

http://www.getprepared.gc.ca/risks/earthquakes_e.asp

Here's what Public Safety Canada recommends.

[Edited 2007-07-18 21:16:35]
Mind that Bus! What bus? *Splat!*

SJCRRPAX

Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:14 am

Or just run out the door?

As I mentioned in my previous OT post in the other thread, the last two earthquakes I did the following

1. Ran outdoors to watch the big event. It was pretty cool, but this is bad advice since if there is a chimney nearby bricks may fall on your head, or a power line may go down.

2. I stopped my TV from falling down and breaking. If I buy a new Plasma TV without bolting it down, I guess I will do this again!

The worst thing that happened in my house was a broken TV in one quake, and about two gallons of cooking oil all over the kitchen floor I had to clean up in the other. You can almost predict how dangerous a structure will be in an earthquake by looking at it. Apartment houses that have parking underneath, or any structure built on stilts tend to be dangerous, such as this:

Big version: Width: 250 Height: 188 File size: 11kb

I expect Hayward would do quite well in a major earthquake as it has quite a few single story wooden structures. Most of the damage in Hayward will look like this:
Big version: Width: 580 Height: 304 File size: 517kb

AeroWesty

Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:15 am

Quoting YYZAeroEng (Reply 8):
Here's what public safety recommends.

What's interesting is that in that link they recommend to avoid doorways. Doorways are supposed to be the safest place in a structure. I wonder how many people who write these things have been in multiple quakes?

YYZAeroEng

Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:20 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 10):
I wonder how many people who write these things have been in multiple quakes?

I've got no idea.
Their reason for not standing in doorways seems to make sense.

Now that I'm living on the west coast (and they've been talking about the Big One hitting YVR any day now for ages) I figure I should prepare myself. That website seems to be a good start.

Aside from the doorways, anything else not match up with your experiences?
Mind that Bus! What bus? *Splat!*

SJCRRPAX

Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:20 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 10):
What's interesting is that in that link they recommend to avoid doorways. Doorways are supposed to be the safest place in a structure. I wonder how many people who write these things have been in multiple quakes?

The site had some pretty good advice, but the

"Avoid doorways. Doors may slam shut and cause injuries. "

did seem to be a little off the mark. Maybe Canadian earthquakes and doors are different.

Confuscius
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:22 am

I expect Hayward would do quite well in a major earthquake as it has quite a few single story wooden structures. Most of the damage in Hayward will look like this:

Hey! we build our trailer homes sturdier than that!
Ain't I a stinker?

Gunships

Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:30 am

Quoting SJCRRPAX (Reply 12):
Maybe Canadian earthquakes and doors are different.

I think they're the same ever since the North American Free Trade Agreement was implemented in 1994. They may have been different before then.

hyper 

AsstChiefMark

Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:34 am

The Hayward fault is stretched tighter than a fat woman's thong. It's more likely to slip than the San Andreas fault. And when it does, it's gonna be a big one.

The darker the color, the worse the damage:

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

AeroWesty

Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:34 am

Quoting YYZAeroEng (Reply 11):
Aside from the doorways, anything else not match up with your experiences?

Yes, a real important one. Remember a number of years ago when airlines started reminding people that "the nearest exit may be behind you"? It's because people just go with instincts and what they can see at the time during a crisis. They have to be reminded to look behind them, if that's an option.

The same goes for the wording for identifying safe spots in the house. Wrong, wrong, wrong! It's critical that you look around yourself and identify anything that can be a hazard. Don't train yourself to run to a safe spot when you might be ignoring a hazard on the way.

When I was sitting on my ass in the Northridge Quake, and couldn't stand up, the first thing I noticed was the glass doors pulsing in the shockwaves, and reasoned they stood a good chance of shattering onto me. The first thing I did was grab the blanket off the bed to cover myself. I didn't care if I could see or not, the electricity went off while I was reaching for the blanket anyway. My old instincts of diving under my desk at school kicked in, which we used to practice a couple of times a year.

TheCol

Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:38 am

It's always a good plan to have an emergency kit with food and essential supplies. I put one together, and it's fairly easy to maintain.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

AsstChiefMark

Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:47 am

Quoting TheCol (Reply 17):
It's always a good plan to have an emergency kit with food and essential supplies.

Instead of stocking individual food items, I simply bought three cases of assorted MRE's on eBay. My emergency kit is stored on the cool concrete floor in my basement, so they should be good for ten years. I also have three cases of bottled water, which gets rotated every two years.

Confuscius
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:57 am

I also have three cases of bottled water, which gets rotated every two years.

Isn't wine better, especially red, because the older it gets the better it taste. The same with cheese.
Ain't I a stinker?

AsstChiefMark

Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:02 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 19):
Isn't wine better, especially red, because the older it gets the better it taste.

no  Can't do. I'm a recovering drunk.

The same with cheese.

The last thing I want to experience during my personal apocalypse is constipation. But then, it could counteract the dysentery

WrenchBender

Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:05 am

1. Remove all sharp objects from your pockets.
2. Loosen tight clothing.
3. Place your head between your knees.
4. Kiss your ASS goodbye !
5. Depending which side of the fault you are on, wave 'Bye Bye' to either California or San Fransisco.

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

AeroWesty

Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:10 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 18):
Instead of stocking individual food items, I simply bought three cases of assorted MRE's on eBay.

That's a great idea! One of those "why didn't I have a V-8?" kind of things people usually forget to have an emergency supply of is charcoal. During the Northridge Quake we didn't get our power back until late in the day, and people on my floor brought stuff to my apartment that we cooked up on my Weber, once we knew there wasn't any danger from gas leaks. A freezer will keep things in relatively good shape without power for a couple of days, and a BBQ and charcoal may be the only way to cook.

Pope

Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:19 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 22):
That's a great idea! One of those "why didn't I have a V-8?" kind of things people usually forget to have an emergency supply of is charcoal. During the Northridge Quake we didn't get our power back until late in the day, and people on my floor brought stuff to my apartment that we cooked up on my Weber, once we knew there wasn't any danger from gas leaks. A freezer will keep things in relatively good shape without power for a couple of days, and a BBQ and charcoal may be the only way to cook.

Be careful with this. Every hurricane season, some dumbfuck dies of carbon monoxide poisoning because they used their grill indoors after the power went out. Also, an open flame after a big earthquake when the integrity of all the gas lines hasn't been verified is a receipe for disaster.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

Superfly

Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:20 am

Start a thread on Airliners.net.

AeroWesty:
I was in that earthquake too.
I lived on Devonshire & Lindley in Northridge. Would you believe I slept throughout?!?!?!  Wow!
I am a heavy sleeper. When I woke up, my room was a total mess. I thought I had pissed somebody off and they came and ransacked my place. When I turned on the TV, I saw that there had been a major earthquake.
I was attending Cal State Northridge at the time and many buildings were destroyed. For three weeks, I had two classes that met under a tree.
There were not enough tents.
Bring back the Concorde

copaair737

Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:26 am

Up here on the NorthCoast they are saying there could be a big one soon.
It's set on a Tri-junction of 3 plates, much like Indonesia.

The last school I went to was built on the Little Salmon Fault line. They'd always make quips about how bad it would be if it quaked.
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

AeroWesty

Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:28 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 23):
Be careful with this. Every hurricane season, some dumbfuck dies of carbon monoxide poisoning because they used their grill indoors after the power went out. Also, an open flame after a big earthquake when the integrity of all the gas lines hasn't been verified is a receipe for disaster.

That's why I wrote "once we knew there wasn't any danger from gas leaks".  Wink

Now who would BBQ indoors? Honestly, some people.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 24):
When I turned on the TV, I saw that there had been a major earthquake.

Yikes, you had power that close to the epicenter? Lucky! I have a portable shortwave/AM/FM radio that runs on batteries, and the most surreal moment of my life was sitting there in the dark listening to one of the radio stations report the damage they were hearing about. I was only a few of miles from the section of the Santa Monica that collapsed.

iflyatldl

Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:31 am

Quoting Superfly: (Reply 24)

Start a thread on Airliners.net.

AeroWesty:
I was in that earthquake too.
I lived on Devonshire & Lindley in Northridge. Would you believe I slept throughout?!?!?!
I am a heavy sleeper. When I woke up, my room was a total mess. I thought I had pissed somebody off and they came and ransacked my place. When I turned on the TV, I saw that there had been a major earthquake.
I was attending Cal State Northridge at the time and many buildings were destroyed. For three weeks, I had two classes that met under a tree.
There were not enough tents.

Superfly:
I grew up on Reseda Blvd just South of San Fernando Mission Blvd., before the 118 was built. I remember the Sylmar quake of '71. My mom, being from Indiana, was ready to go back!  Big grin
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

fumanchewd

Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:49 am

Looks like the Bay is in need of some

I lived in the bay for 3 years and didn't feel one earthquake. I would suggest relishing the moment and taking some pictures on your cellphone like every other idiot.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

Aaron747

Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:56 am

We have a family earthquake plan but I often wonder how practical it really is. Expect the worst, hope for the best. Especially since there's a 70% probability of magnitude 8 or greater event for both the Tonankai and Tokai regions. The last place I'd want to be is anywhere along the Kanagawa or Shizuoka coasts given the historic seismicity there, not to mention the tsunami danger. The only thing positive we have going for us living well inland.

If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

walter747

Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:07 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 13):

Hey! we build our trailer homes sturdier than that!

Isn't wine better, especially red, because the older it gets the better it taste. The same with cheese.

Now if you live in a Trailer Home hoe can you afford anything other than Carlo Rossi. I mean the older that gets the worse the headache you get.  duck   Silly  Big grin
Hussel, Hussel, Husel, Grind, Grind, Grind

halls120

Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:41 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 7):

Start blaming others (especially the government) for why you haven't purchased adequate earthquake insurance to protect your financial interest when this event occurs. Then demand that the government and the rest of the taxpayers make you financially whole.

rotfl 

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 6):
If it's really a "Big One", like 7.0 or greater, there really isn't much you can do, but just hold on for the ride if you're indoors. When I was awoken by the Northridge Quake at 4:30 in the morning, I was literally tossed on my ass out of bed, and couldn't move due to all the shaking going on, even though I'd landed right in front of the sliding glass doors out to my patio. I've been caught all sorts of places in quakes, including 9 stories up on a catwalk in a quake with much less force, and there's nothing you can really do.

Just make sure you quake-proof yourself as much as possible, like not hanging pictures or anything else that can fall from the wall onto you over or near your bed.

When the Northridge quake hit, it woke me up, and almost tossed me out of bed. I remember our next door's neighbors swimming pool going slosh, slosh, like we were at the beach. Got up and went into the kitchen, where my Dad was calmly reading the paper and drinking coffee despite the shaking and swaying.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

TSS

Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:58 pm

Should I go into the basement and cover up with a mattress when I know it's coming. Or if there's no basement, go to an interior bathoom without windows, get in the bathtub and cover up with mattress.

Either of those are suitable responses to tornados, not earthquakes, although the bathroom idea would probably work reasonably well in an eathquake also.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

AeroWesty

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:03 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 32):
the bathroom idea would probably work reasonably well in an eathquake also.

Why would you want to go to a confined space with potentially slippery surfaces and lots of glass that could shatter? There isn't anything inherently safer about a bathroom than any other room of the house. If a building is going to collapse, it'll collapse, bathrooms and all.

DL777LAX

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:12 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 6):
When I was awoken by the Northridge Quake at 4:30 in the morning, I was literally tossed on my ass out of bed, and couldn't move due to all the shaking going on, even though I'd landed right in front of the sliding glass doors out to my patio

I slept right through Northridge. I was 18 months.

What to do when the big one hits?

DUCK AND COVER!!!!!!!!!
Blindly following anything is bad, unless of course your blind and your following a guide dog.

TSS

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:20 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 33):
Why would you want to go to a confined space with potentially slippery surfaces and lots of glass that could shatter?

get in the bathtub and cover up with mattress.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 33):
If a building is going to collapse, it'll collapse, bathrooms and all.

True, but if you're in a good sturdy tub with a mattress over you, I'd imagine you're less likely to be crushed or cut by debris there than anywhere else in the house. I've seen post-earthquake photos and generally the only recognizable thing left in one piece was the bathtub. I'd take my chances riding the tub down and I'd be stuck to the bottom of it like an ugly traction sticker.  Wink

I do think in fairness that I should point out that I've only felt a very mild tremor from the 22nd story of a hotel and that I thought it was simply a few extra-strong gusts of wind hitting the building. I'm sure that if I were to feel a real quake, I'd scream like a little girl and immediate high-tail myself back to Alabama where the ground beneath my feet is disinclined to move around unexpectedly. Big grin

AeroWesty

Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:43 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 35):
True, but if you're in a good sturdy tub with a mattress over you, I'd imagine you're less likely to be crushed or cut by debris there than anywhere else in the house.

Okay, let's think about this. Bathtubs survive because they used to be made from cast iron. Cast iron tubs are rarer and rarer these days, they're usually made from plastics now. Then consider how in 20-30 seconds of shaking you're going to make it into the tub and cover yourself with a mattress. Doable? Doubtful.

Some of the places I've been when a quake has hit:

-Standing in line at the bank
-On a catwalk
-In bed
-At school
-In the kitchen
-Sitting on the sofa
-Walking down the street
-Sitting at my desk at work

How would anyone in those situations find a mattress they could lift by themselves, drag it to the bathroom, cover themselves with it in the tub, and do it all before the shaking stopped?

TSS

Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:30 pm

white 
Okay, where you're at when it hits is where you have to deal with it. Duck and cover is about all you can do.

(I'm used to dealing with tornados, so they're my default panic mode.  Smile )

Aaron747

Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:33 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 37):
Duck and cover is about all you can do.

Not really sure this is an option if I happen to be barreling down the rails on a JR train at 100 mph.  boggled 
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

AirframeAS

Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:13 pm

Drop, cover and hold. Yes, that means getting on your knees and getting under the table, secure yourself to the table, put your head down to protect your face from any glass and stay there.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Superfly

Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:25 pm

Quoting Iflyatldl (Reply 27):
I grew up on Reseda Blvd just South of San Fernando Mission Blvd., before the 118 was built. I remember the Sylmar quake of '71. My mom, being from Indiana, was ready to go back!

We were practically neighbors. This was during my brief stint at Cal State Northridge. I am originally from Indiana too but I don't ever went to move back. Too many Republicans. Big grin
Reseda bl, just south of San Fernando Mission Blvd is a nice area. I used to like riding my bicycle to the top or Reseda bl. and flying down late at night and hit all green lights.
Did your family live in a ranch style or Eichler styled house?
I love those.
Bring back the Concorde

AsstChiefMark

Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:28 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 39):
Drop, cover and hold

No, no, no. Wrong, wrong, wrong!

Big version: Width: 304 Height: 281 File size: 53kb

[Edited 2007-07-19 16:31:03]

AirframeAS

Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:54 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 41):
No, no, no. Wrong, wrong, wrong!

My god, they taught you this in the military?? ROFL!  rotfl 
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

iflyatldl

Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:20 am

Quoting Superfly( reply 40):

Quoting Iflyatldl (Reply 27):
I grew up on Reseda Blvd just South of San Fernando Mission Blvd., before the 118 was built. I remember the Sylmar quake of '71. My mom, being from Indiana, was ready to go back!

We were practically neighbors. This was during my brief stint at Cal State Northridge. I am originally from Indiana too but I don't ever went to move back. Too many Republicans.
Reseda bl, just south of San Fernando Mission Blvd is a nice area. I used to like riding my bicycle to the top or Reseda bl. and flying down late at night and hit all green lights.
Did your family live in a ranch style or Eichler styled house?
I love those.

We lived in the Ranch/Cape Cod Style- in fact 5th house down from SFMBlvd. East side of the street. IIRC it was 10028 Reseda Blvd. Northridge, CA. I went to Nobel Jr. High and Chatsworth High.
One of my closest friends went to CSUN and lived on Hadley Ave (South of Devonshire). I remember the Valley well. Whenever I go back and visit now, it doesn't seem as big as when I was a kid. Big grin
Small world!
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

seb146

Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:33 am

Quoting YYZAeroEng (Reply 11):
(and they've been talking about the Big One hitting YVR any day now for ages)

They talk about the same thing in SEA and PDX. Any day now, the big one will hit! I have been hearing that since Mt. St. Helens blew up. I also heard all the stories about what to do when Mt. Rainier blows up. That's gonna happen any day now, too, according to the news. Pretty much everyone in Tacoma, Renton, Auburn, and Kent can kiss their a*s good-bye because of molten mud flows and everyone in Puyallup, Enumclaw, and Buckley can kiss their a*s good-bye because of flying boulders and other assorted debris.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 26):
Now who would BBQ indoors? Honestly, some people.

I thought you lived in the PDX area? Didn't you hear about all those people dragging out the barbecue grills over the winter to heat their homes during power outages from the ice storms? Freakin' idiots.

I have been awake for two quakes. One was the 6.7 Olympia quake and the other was a 3.5 quake near Jantzen Beach in North Portland. The 6.7 I thought was the garbage trucks at first. I just got in the door between the bedroom and the hall and waited and tried to calm down my then-partner who grew up in Temecula. The 3.5, I heard the windows rattling, so I rolled out of bed away from the glass. I thought going outside is the worst thing because of danger of falling trees, power lines, light poles, planter boxes, satellite dishes, or anything heavy attached to walls. Even though I have not been through many quakes, I feel I am ready. I have a good desk I bought at Ikea  Smile

GO CANUCKS!!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

IFEMaster

Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:39 am

I've not been in a major quake yet...just a couple of five-pointers and a few four-pointers. But my wife has been through several; Northridge and Whittier Narrows included. She basically built our quake survival kit for us and instructed me on what to do; either get in a sturdy doorway, or get under a table, duck, cover, and hold on for dear life.

We've got a checklist posted at our 'muster station' in the house (which happens to be the hallway, as there are four doorways and a large closet. The checklist is on the door inside the closet) which reads:

1. Check the house for fire.
2. Turn off external gas main (although the subvalve in the manhole in front of the house will shut automatically in a quake and must be manually opened).
3. Turn off water main.
4. First aid to any injuries.
5. Check cats and dogs for injuries.
6. Check house for structural damage.
7. Check in with elderly neighbours next door and run this list at their house.

In the survival kit we have:
- A mountain of canned food, such as tuna, beans, soups, fruits, vegetables - all the basics. We reckon we have enough for two people to eat for two weeks. We've also got a stockpile of canned and dry food for our pets.
- 30 gallons of water.
- 3 fire extinguishers; 1 water, 1 foam, 1 CO2/powder mix.
- Blankets.
- Two flashlights; the kinetic type that don't need batteries.
- A radio for listening to any emergency broadcasts etc. Clockwork; needs no batteries.
- One Leatherman and one Swiss Army knife, plus various other tools.
- And this last item sounds crazy but was a lifesaver for her grandparents in the Northridge quake: a collapsible bicycle.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

AsstChiefMark

Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:14 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 45):
- Two flashlights; the kinetic type that don't need batteries.

Big version: Width: 45 Height: 50 File size: 1kb
Mmmmmmm... Kinetic flashlights.....

[Edited 2007-07-19 20:32:12]

AeroWesty

Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:29 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 45):
1. Check the house for fire.
2. Turn off external gas main (although the subvalve in the manhole in front of the house will shut automatically in a quake and must be manually opened).
3. Turn off water main.
4. First aid to any injuries.
5. Check cats and dogs for injuries.
6. Check house for structural damage.
7. Check in with elderly neighbours next door and run this list at their house.

Do you practice this? I mean, if you were injured and couldn't move, and the gas is leaking, could your wife (or kids, if you have any) turn it off?

Confuscius
Topic Author

Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:10 am

Now if you live in a Trailer Home hoe can you afford anything other than Carlo Rossi.

I have more class, I prefer Boone's Farm or Manischewitz.
Ain't I a stinker?

TheCol

Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:29 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 23):

Yeah, everyone should have a big ass wrench in their kit to turn off the gas. Checking the gas main would be the first thing I do after an earthquake.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.