checkraiser

Helmet Law: Yay Or Nay?

Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:37 pm

Does your state/country mandate wearing a helmet on a motorcycle? It's irrefutable that helmets do save lives, but do you think the government should force it down your throat? My state only requires helmets for riders on a learner's permit or for those under 18.

While not mandatory for me I'll wear one unless I'm making a quick trip on city streets at speeds of 35 MPH or less. Since I ride a Harley I get chided a little for it when I'm with a group but I just feel naked without it.
N1120A is a camel-fucking terrorist.

miamiair

RE: Helmet Law: Yay Or Nay?

Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:42 pm

In Florida, it is optional. IMO, you gotta be nuts to ride a bike in Miami.

What I question is if you are allowed to ride without a helmet, why do I have to wear a seat belt in my car?
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

cfalk

Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:46 pm

I say no. We have too many stupid people in the world today, and stupid people are the ones who ride without helmets, and are thus more likely to be taken out of the gene pool.

Mandating helmets will only ensure that more idiots live to reproduce.
 no 
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

CastleIsland

Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:48 pm

In principle, I don't think that State government should be able to force someone to wear a helmet. However, I don't want to pay a premium for my auto insurance because people ride around without helmets. So, since I have no option of paying less because I don't ride a motorcycle without a helmet (or at all), I'm for helmet laws.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

checkraiser

Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:55 pm

Since you bring up insurance premiums that could create an interesting option for motorcycle insurance. An option where you could pay less for your cycle insurance but you must wear a helmet. If you're involved in a crash and helmetless your policy wouldn't pay for any medical costs.

CO7e7

Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:55 pm

Quoting Checkraiser (Thread starter):
Does your state/country mandate wearing a helmet on a motorcycle?

In Ohio, you are required to wear a helmet for ONE full year after you get your endorsement. After that it's optional.
On the other hand, it is mandatory for your passenger to wear a helmet at all times.

Personally, i wear my helmet ALL the time. Even if it's a 1 min. ride to the store doing 10 mph.

kmh1956

Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:18 am

In Bermuda, they're mandatory...and our speed limit is 35kph. I'm all in favor of helmet laws...

I'll wear one unless I'm making a quick trip on city streets at speeds of 35 MPH or less

So, when you get hit by some bozo who thinks that the 35MPH speed limit doesn't apply to him, and hits you at about 70MPH? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that an impact speed of 105MPH? I think you'll regret not wearing the helmet that day...if your brains aren't all over the sidewalk, that is.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

KaiGywer
Crew

Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:20 am

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 1):
What I question is if you are allowed to ride without a helmet, why do I have to wear a seat belt in my car?

This is what I think as well. They should be the same, and I vote for requiring a helmet rather than not requiring seat belt.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

HAWK21M

Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:48 am

Helmet laws should be Mandatory.
 Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

checkraiser

Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:54 am

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 6):
So, when you get hit by some bozo who thinks that the 35MPH speed limit doesn't apply to him, and hits you at about 70MPH? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that an impact speed of 105MPH?

If it's a head on crash then you're right. And in that case, you're not going to survive, helmet or not. That would likely kill you if you were in a small car.

Tom12

Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:59 am

Nay, it should be your choice. If you want to reduce your chance of surviving a crash thats your choice.

Tom
"Per noctem volamus" - Royal Air Force Bomber Squadron IX

Sabena332

Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:03 am

Wearing a helmet is mandatory here in Germany, and that's good so.

Quoting CO7e7 (Reply 5):
Personally, i wear my helmet ALL the time. Even if it's a 1 min. ride to the store doing 10 mph.

checkmark 

I do the same, even if I only ride to the cigarette automat at the end of the street.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

AsstChiefMark

Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:06 am

I'm a hypocrite. I think people who don't wear helmets are foolish. Yet, I don't wear a helmet. Granted, all I have is a 125 cc scooter (licensed as a motorcycle), but it cruises at 55 mph.

I'm adamant when it comes to seat belts. I think the Wisconsin legislature needs to grow a pair and make a seat belt violation a full-fledged moving violation with a hefty fine and points.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

ANCFlyer

Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:23 am

Resounding YES.

If you've never peeled someone's head off a tree because they weren't wearing a helmet . . . then you have no way to understand . . . .

Last summer, July in fact, an older gent riding his Harley along the Richardson Highway . . . missed a turn. No helmet. Skull crushed against a birch tree. No other life threatening injuries, no broken bones, no internal problems, no nothing. Just no head left.

Helmet Law . . .  yes 

Period.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

jacobin777

Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:41 am

..just like seatbelt saves lives, helmets saves lives too...it should be a law..growing up in Illinois, I've never understood why there aren't mandatory helmet laws...I've seen one-too many "jack-heads" "hot-dogging" around their bikes w/out helmets, especially right now during the summer.

When I had my motorcycles (1973 Yamaha RD-250 and 1974 Norton 750 Commando-I haven't had a motorcycle in about 12-13 years), I always wore my helmet, even if it was for a 5 minute ride... yes ......

It's nice to know its mandatory here in California.. yes 
"Up the Irons!"

DL787932ER

Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:49 am

My state requires them, although I frequently see idiots buzzing around on 1100cc sport bikes with no helmet, t-shirt, and shorts. Even stupider are the Harley "badasses" who wear those little half-helmets that wouldn't protect anything just to get around the law. I can't imagine getting on a bike without a helmet and at the very least long sleeves and pants, if not riding leathers.

Having said that, it's not the role of the state to protect stupid people from themselves. Helmet laws should be repealed. So should laws that force insurance companies to cover medical expenses for people regardless of whether they wear helmets, etc. Let the insurance companies charge more if people want coverage to ride helmetless.
F L Y D E L T A J E T S

AirframeAS

Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:51 am

Washington State has a mandatory helmet law (Thank god!) that I voted for.

Arizona, on the other hand, does not. Makes me real uncomfortable when driving alongside or passing a motorcycle. If they don't wear a helmet in a crash, thats their choice and I am not calling 911, seriously! Not wearing a helmet is endangering your life, plain and simple.

(yes, I expect to get flamed for this.  Smile)
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

lowrider

Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:51 am

I have no idea if they are required, but I always wear mine anyway. I look at is as prevention as well as protection. My helment has a few scars where rocks from from a passing truck has hit it. Had I not been wearing one, the rock could have caused me to have an accident.

I agree with the idea that insurance companies should be able to put a helmet clause in the policies. Basically, if you agree to wear a helmet, you pay a lower rate. If you then have an accident where you were found not wearing the helmet, you are not covered. Further, I think states should be able to limit the amount of aid given to accident victims who did not wear seatbelts or helmets. If you will not take reasonable steps to protect yourself, you should not expect unlimited aid for it.
Proud OOTSK member

checkraiser

Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:00 am

Quoting DL787932ER (Reply 15):
Even stupider are the Harley "badasses" who wear those little half-helmets that wouldn't protect anything just to get around the law.

Why is it "stupider" to wear a half-helmet than none at all? They don't offer any face protection but they do cover your brain. When it's too hot for a full-face this is what I opt for.

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 17):
Further, I think states should be able to limit the amount of aid given to accident victims who did not wear seatbelts or helmets.

In Wisconsin seatbelt usage is not allowed to be introduced into evidence at a personal injury trial. If a victim wasn't wearing a seatbelt the award is reduced to 15% of the original amount.

JAGflyer

Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:02 am

In the US, no. If people want to stupid and ride without a helmet, let them get hurt and they'll have to pay their own medical bill. In Canada Yes for helmet laws. Why should I pay with my taxes for medical care because some person isn't wearing a helmet? It really makes me upset to hear about bike accidents where the rider is doing 200KM/H and gets in a crash with a truck. The truck driver is fine, the biker is near death due to head injury. Yep, in hospital and I'm paying for it!
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

57AZ

Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:09 am

I do agree that helmet use should be mandatory. Unnecessary hospitlizations cost us all in the form of higher healthcare costs-whether it's insurance premiums or lost worker productivity. In Arizona, helmet use is only mandatory for persons under the age of 18. IIRC, my former home state of Tennessee has a mandatory helmet law. Motorcycle crash deaths were somewhat rare there, no doubt due to the law.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

andz

Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:12 am

Helmets are mandatory here and I don't see what the fuss is about. Seatbelts have been mandatory for years and no one whines, just wear the damned helmet or don't ride a bike.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

AirframeAS

Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:15 am

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 20):
In Arizona, helmet use is only mandatory for persons under the age of 18.

I didnt know that. Thats new to me/

Quoting Andz (Reply 21):
Helmets are mandatory here and I don't see what the fuss is about.

I hear people here in Arizona complain about the heat in the summer if they are forced to wear one.

Bottom line, its common sense to wear a helmet no matter what.

CanadianNorth

Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:22 am

Seatbelts are mandatory. Why not helmets?
We get to pay the health care. Why not give tickets instead so they give money instead of taking it?
Only an idiot would ride around without one anyway. So how is it that bad?

Yeah, I'm all for the helmet law idea...

CanadianNorth
What could possibly go wrong?

CaptOveur

Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:26 am

Without question- YES

Why should I have to pay higher insurance premiums because some wanna-be outlaw (who is a neurosurgeon M-f 8-5) on a Harley could feel the wind in what is left of his thinning hair?
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

airfoilsguy

Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:27 am

Quoting Checkraiser (Reply 18):
Why is it "stupider" to wear a half-helmet than none at all? They don't offer any face protection but they do cover your brain. When it's too hot for a full-face this is what I opt for.

I have a full face racing helmet where the front third pivots up. This is great for when you are in stop and go traffic and need to cool off.

This is the one I have and would highly recommend it.

It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

CaptOveur

Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:30 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 25):

Ahhh the red X.. Who makes that?
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

andz

Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:48 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 22):
I hear people here in Arizona complain about the heat in the summer if they are forced to wear one.

I am a biker and it gets hot here too, maybe not AZ hot but Africa hot nonetheless. I have an Arlen Ness airflow jacket with armour and a back protector for the summer, and Dainese leather for winter. I wear Dainese short leather gloves in summer and a Shoei full face helmet all year round.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Dougloid

Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:56 am

I've always worn a helmet but my bicycle helmet saved me from serious injury when I wrecked a couple years ago. My cousin's a different story. He lives in France and he was riding two up. As it was summer and starting to rain the road was getting real greasy and he went down on one of those god awful traffic circles.

According to the guy who was following behind and saw all this happen his head hit the pavement, the helmet flew off, and his head hit the pavement again. He was in the hospital and in therapy for close to a year relearning all the stuff that had been wiped out of his brain like how to walk and speak and play his music-because after all that is his meal ticket.

There's no doubt he would have been killed had he not had a helmet on.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

airfoilsguy

Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:17 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 26):
Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 25):

Ahhh the red X.. Who makes that?

Thats odd. It worked just a few minutes ago.

http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/xlitex1002/39-5571
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

LTU932

Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:12 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 11):
Wearing a helmet is mandatory here in Germany, and that's good so.

What about leather protection gear for bike drivers?

TheCol

Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:24 am

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 19):

checkmark 

That's pretty much what I think.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

Banco

Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:25 am

It's no co-incidence that bikers are known as "Organ Donors" amongst the emergency services. Not wearing a helmet just makes that even more true. I can't believe it's even a debate, really. You make people wear helmets in American football but not on a motorbike?
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

DL787932ER

Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:26 am

Why is it "stupider" to wear a half-helmet than none at all?

Because it gives the appearance of protection without actually providing any. It's kinda the motorcycle equivalent of people who expect to make their Honda Civics faster by putting on a fart-can exhaust tip and a picnic-table rear wing.

On a side note,  thumbsdown  to all the responders with American flags by their names who need the government to force them to do the right thing.
F L Y D E L T A J E T S

Sabena332

Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:29 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 30):
What about leather protection gear for bike drivers?

Not mandatory here, thus there are a few idiots who ride on their bikes in t-shirt and shorts.

I admit, usually I wear normal clothes (together with helmet, kidney protection belt, and leather gloves) when I ride my 50cc motor-scooter. When I drive longer routes (e.g. to the band's practise room which is on the other side of the city) I also wear my motorbike jacket with elbow protectors... unfortunately did my motorbike pants become a victim of my beer-belly. Big grin

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Arrow

Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:54 am

Having said that, it's not the role of the state to protect stupid people from themselves. Helmet laws should be repealed.

If it were that simple, I'd agree. But the health costs of looking after a vegetable who banged his unhelmeted head on the pavement are huge, not to mention the social costs of helping any family members who might be left unsupported as a result of this idiocy. The helmet law isn't to protect people from their own stupidity, it is a "due diligence" law to minimize to the extent possible the consequences of an accident. In Vancouver, and many other municipalities, bicycle helmets are mandatory. It's the only sane approach society can take.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

bristolflyer

Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:12 am

do you think the government should force it down your throat?

No way. Force onto your head, maybe - but not down your throat.  wink 

Since I ride a Harley I get chided a little for it when I'm with a group but I just feel naked without it.

Don't worry about what the group thinks, do what you think. I get stick for wearing a helmet wakeboarding - but I don't care.

Quoting Tom12 (Reply 10):
Nay, it should be your choice. If you want to reduce your chance of surviving a crash thats your choice.

What about the poor people who have to scrape you up off the ground? Your choice affects them substantially.
Fortune favours the brave

RobertNL070

Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:24 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 11):
even if I only ride to the cigarette automat at the end of the street.

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 34):
my beer-belly.

Then you might be better off walking to the end of the street.

Are you riding anything on two wheels that is motorized and can go faster than 30 km/h (19 mph), then a helmet is mandatory in this country.

Robert
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

Sabena332

Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:27 am

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 37):
Then you might be better off walking to the end of the street.

Walking is only an option when I drunk more than one beer.  Wink

Patrick

aa757first

Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:00 am

Pennsylvania made it legal to ride without one a few years ago. I heard they were considering reenacting it. You do have to wear one if you're under a certain age, though.

It doesn't make sense to mandate seatbelt use (Pennsylvania does) and not mandate helmet use.

Pope

Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:25 am

I say no. We place too many impediments to natural selection already. Let social Darwinism take over and eliminate the shallow end of the gene pool.

While we're at it - I also think we should do away with speed zones in front of high schools. If you can't cross the street by yourself when you're in high school, what are you really going to amount to in life anyway?
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

itsjustme

Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:34 am

Quoting Tom12 (Reply 10):

It's not that simple. Instead of talking in extremes (ie: being involved in an actual crash), let's look at something as innocent as taking a pebble, rock, or some other form of debris kicked up by traffic, off your unprotected head. Who is more likely to keep their bike under control under these circumstances; a helmeted rider or a helmetless rider? Everyone is quick to jump to the worst case scenario, that being a rider being involved in an actual collision, and then point out that a helmet doesn't afford a rider that much protection anyway. I see the main reason to wear a helmet as a way of avoiding things (like taking a rock off my protected head as has happened on more than a few occasions) that can cause me to lose control of my bike and result in a crash.

It's not. I'd even go so far as to say those full face helmets are more dangerous than the half helmets. Not only does the full face style diminish your peripheral vision but it limits your hearing ability as well. The more aware a rider is of the environment around him, the safer he and others on the road will be. I think the full face helmets are far too restrictive and hamper a rider's ability to be completely familiar with his/her surroundings.

Quoting Banco (Reply 32):
It's no co-incidence that bikers are known as "Organ Donors" amongst the emergency services.

Typically it's the non-riding emergency service workers who incorrectly title bikers as such.

Bottom line; Helmets should be mandatory for all riders; no exceptions.

AirframeAS

Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:45 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 41):
let's look at something as innocent as taking a pebble, rock, or some other form of debris kicked up by traffic, off your unprotected head. Who is more likely to keep their bike under control under these circumstances; a helmeted rider or a helmetless rider?

checkmark  That hit it on the nail!

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 41):
Not only does the full face style diminish your peripheral vision but it limits your hearing ability as well.

What does hearing have to do with it? Those motorcycles are so damn loud, my friends who ride motorcycles to school (yes, they wear helmets) wear earplugs while riding motorcycles. All of them do.

itsjustme

Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:00 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 42):
What does hearing have to do with it? Those motorcycles are so damn loud, my friends who ride motorcycles to school (yes, they wear helmets) wear earplugs while riding motorcycles. All of them do.

C'mon, you don't consider being able to hear what's going on around you as adding to your safety? I'm speaking specifically of sirens from emergency vehicles, car horns, and even screeching tires (speaking of which, anyone who doesn't keep their bike in gear while sitting at a traffic light is nuts).

halls120

Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:29 am

It's irrefutable that helmets do save lives, but do you think the government should force it down your throat?

I believe that if you wish to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, you should be allowed to, provided you sign a legally binding document waiving your right to medical care at the expense of the taxpayers, and that your survivors are without recourse to bring a civil suit on your behalf.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

itsjustme

Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:42 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 44):
I believe that if you wish to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, you should be allowed to, provided you sign a legally binding document waiving your right to medical care at the expense of the taxpayers, and that your survivors are without recourse to bring a civil suit on your behalf.

Sounds good, just a little too convoluted for my tastes. Wouldn't it be simpler to remember that, just as driving an automobile is, operating a motorcycle is a privilege not a right and along with that privilege come some regulations?

halls120

Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:51 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 45):
Quoting Halls120 (Reply 44):I believe that if you wish to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, you should be allowed to, provided you sign a legally binding document waiving your right to medical care at the expense of the taxpayers, and that your survivors are without recourse to bring a civil suit on your behalf.
Sounds good, just a little too convoluted for my tastes. Wouldn't it be simpler to remember that, just as driving an automobile is, operating a motorcycle is a privilege not a right and along with that privilege come some regulations?

It isn't convoluted at all.

Part of the reason we require helmets is that they have a demonstrated positive effect on minimizing injuries to the rider in case of an accident. If you don't wear your helmet and get injured, who is likely going to foot the bill for the resulting medical care? The taxpayer, of course.

All I'm advocating is that we make it simple for those who wish to ride without a helmet. No helmet, no medical care paid for by society. You want medical care, wear a helmet.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

N1120A

Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:59 am

It's irrefutable that helmets do save lives, but do you think the government should force it down your throat?

We have seatbelt laws (excellent) and car seat laws (some of which I like, some of which I think are lame). Helmet laws should be included

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 3):
However, I don't want to pay a premium for my auto insurance because people ride around without helmets. So, since I have no option of paying less because I don't ride a motorcycle without a helmet (or at all),

Well, if insurance companies are doing anything right (which they generally don't do), they would classify auto premiums and motorcycle premiums as completely separate. After all, they do sell them separately.

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 6):

So, when you get hit by some bozo who thinks that the 35MPH speed limit doesn't apply to him, and hits you at about 70MPH?

You are likely dead anyway

Even stupider are the Harley "badasses" who wear those little half-helmets that wouldn't protect anything just to get around the law.

Unfortunately, those beanies get DOT approval.

It depends. If you are talking about one of those idiotic brain bucket things, that is stupid. If it is one that just leaves the face open, that is not so bad.

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 22):

That is what ventilation is for. I mean, if they have a problem with the heat, they should just drive an air conditioned car.

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 24):

Why should I have to pay higher insurance premiums because some wanna-be outlaw (who is a neurosurgeon M-f 8-5) on a Harley could feel the wind in what is left of his thinning hair?

I really doubt a neurosurgeon would go helmet-less

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 39):
Pennsylvania made it legal to ride without one a few years ago. I heard they were considering reenacting it. You do have to wear one if you're under a certain age, though.

I am betting the Ben Rothlisburger incident is what is leading to this change in policy.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

itsjustme

Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:05 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 46):

All I'm advocating is that we make it simple for those who wish to ride without a helmet. No helmet, no medical care paid for by society. You want medical care, wear a helmet.

Sounds good in theory but, given our extremely liberal society today, do you truly believe this to be a workable solution? I don't. Hell, look at the over crowded condition of some of our emergency rooms because we provide treatment to those here illegally who have no health insurance. I just can't see an emergency room denying treatment to a victim of a motorcycle crash simply because he/she signed a waiver. I don't disagree with the concept; I just don't see it as being workable which is why I think it's easier to just make helmets mandatory.

N1120A

Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:07 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 48):
given our extremely liberal society today

LMAO. If that were only true

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 48):
I just can't see an emergency room denying treatment to a victim of a motorcycle crash simply because he/she signed a waiver.

They can't. It is against the law and against the Hypocratic Oath
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss