L410Turbolet
Topic Author

Free At Last!

Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:16 pm

Six Bulgarian medics who were serving life sentences in Libya have arrived in Bulgaria following their release, ending their eight-year incarceration.
They were immediately pardoned by Bulgarian President Georgi Parvanov.

The five nurses and a Palestinian-born doctor were convicted of deliberately infecting Libyan children with HIV - charges they have always denied.

An EU official told the BBC the release had been made possible by a deal struck in Tripoli on improving Libya-EU ties.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6912965.stm

Glad to see the EU is at least sometimes useful, although the ordeal of 7 years of torture in filthy Kaddafi's prison and the farce of Libyan kangaroo court must have been horrible.
It must be the happiest day of their life!

bwest

RE: Free At Last!

Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:22 pm

It's great to see they're free!

This whole saga was sickening indeed. The Libyans trying to hide their own failing and errors by blaiming volonteer workers. And eventually, they just wanted money in order to release their hostages.

Shows you that, despite all his so called good intentions, Khadaffi is still one sick bastard, not much better than Saddam Hussein...
I love my Airport Job! :)

L410Turbolet
Topic Author

Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:17 pm

Quoting Bwest (Reply 1):
Khadaffi is still one sick bastard, not much better than Saddam Hussein...

He most likely is but he also knows how to play the "game" much better and is nowhere as stubborn as Saddam used to be.

aloges

Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:07 pm

Three cheers for them! I hope the Libyans rectified what must really have led to those infections: the catastrophic hygiene at the hospital.

Quoting L410Turbolet (Thread starter):
Glad to see the EU is at least sometimes useful

Was that really necessary?  sarcastic  I'd love to know what Europe would look like without the EU, but I'd dread to live in the place.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.