Bofredrik
Topic Author

Green Extremists Cut SUV Tires In Stockholm.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:51 pm

Up to 15 SUV per night have been damaged in Stockholm the last weeks by green extremists.
The group protest against this type of cars that they say is bad for the environment.
They also left a paper on each SUV with the text "Your SUV kills!".
Only one person have been arrested for this, a 30-year old woman.

Are we to soft against green activists that go over the line and is criminal?

strasserb

RE: Green Extremists Cut SUV Tires In Stockholm.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:57 pm

Quoting Bofredrik (Thread starter):
Green Extremists Cut SUV Tires In Stockholm

Source?
Still, even in the most arid desert is an airport somewhere ...

ZakHH

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:01 pm

Why? Would they receive softer treatment than any other criminal who would damage private property?
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

Bofredrik
Topic Author

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:11 pm

cfalk

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:13 pm

The funny thing is that having to replace those tires probably causes a hell of a lot of polution. Send the bill to Greenpeace...
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

aloges

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:22 pm

It's amazing to see how simple vandalism is supposed to change people's minds. Couldn't they have been more imaginative?
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

ZakHH

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:28 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 4):
Send the bill to Greenpeace...

Why? Did Greenpeace order the tires to be cut? My Swedish is limited, but I did not find such information in the article.
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

AirPacific747

Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:04 pm

Last month I saw 2 SUVs in Copenhagen that had been tagged with spraypaint.... One was a BMW X5 the other one was a Range Rover.. presumably also done by green extremists

LH526
Crew

Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:03 am

They destroyed foreign property, invaded the personal area of people and all on the grounds of their personal and political believes ....
Vers simmilar to terrorist thinking ..... not the best comparison, but you get the idea.

Give them the usual sentence for destroying / damaging foreign property and a little more because they did so due to their personal believe, wich is even worse as they did so with a sober mind!

Mario
LH526
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

MaverickM11

Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:42 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 5):
Couldn't they have been more imaginative?

I had a sticker put on my SUV once that said "I'm changing the environment, ask me how!" which made me laugh. I would have kept it on my bumper had they placed it on straight and level.
E pur si muove -Galileo

Bofredrik
Topic Author

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:05 am

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 6):

Greenpeace are not involved in this.
But they make a lot of illegal things that they think is OK.
All for the environment...
Like try to stop ships, go into company buildings etc.

yowza

Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:09 am

If some hippie douche bag did this to me and I caught then, believe me I would be willing to swallow up the assault charges because the satisfaction I would get from beating the shit out of them would be worth it. Besides many cars guzzle more than SUVs. Idiots.

YOWza

greasespot

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:08 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 11):
If some hippie douche bag did this to me and I caught then, believe me I would be willing to swallow up the assault charges because the satisfaction I would get from beating the shit out of them would be worth it.

And I would take great pleasure in arresting and charging you.....

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

DrDeke

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:58 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 11):
If some hippie douche bag did this to me and I caught then, believe me I would be willing to swallow up the assault charges because the satisfaction I would get from beating the shit out of them would be worth it.

What if the hippie douche bag ended up kicking your ass instead? (As unlikely as that may be...) Would you decline to press charges since you were the one who escalated the matter to a physical fight?

DrDeke
If you don't want it known, don't say it on a phone.

MDorBust

Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:13 am

Quote:
SUBCHAPTER D. PROTECTION OF PROPERTY

t§ 9.41. PROTECTION OF ONE'S OWN PROPERTY.
(a) A person in lawful possession of land or tangible, movable property is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent or terminate the other's trespass on the land or unlawful interference with the property.
(b) A person unlawfully dispossessed of land or tangible, movable property by another is justified in using force against the other when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to eenter the land or recover the property if the actor uses the force immediately or in fresh pursuit after the dispossession and:
tt(1) the actor reasonably believes the other had no claim of right when he dispossessed the actor; or
tt(2) the other accomplished the dispossession by using force, threat, or fraud against the actor.

t§ 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY.
A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:
tt(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and
tt(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
ttt(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or
ttt(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and
tt(3) he reasonably believes that:
ttt(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or
ttt(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Stay away from my tires, or there will be a legal beatdown. Did you bring a pointy object to slash my tires?

Quote:
§ 9.32. DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON.
(a) A person is justified in using deadly force against another:
tt(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.31;
tt(2) if a reasonable person in the actor's situation would not have retreated; and
tt(3) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
ttt(A) to protect himself against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful deadly force; or
ttt(B) to prevent the other's imminent commission of aggravated kidnapping, murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, robbery, or aggravated robbery.
t(b) The requirement imposed by Subsection (a)(2) does not apply to an actor who uses force against a person who is at the time of the use of force committing an offense of unlawful entry in the habitation of the actor.

PS. I have no clue where all the stupid "t"s are coming from.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

DrDeke

Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:38 am

First, those laws only apply in a specific jurisdiction; one which you did not name.

Second, those laws apply to the use of force to prevent damage to your property, not to retaliate for such damage.

While I do not think it makes sense to slash the tires of SUV as a political or environmental statement, I do enjoy watching Internet blowhards salivate over the possibility of using force against others in retaliation for property damage, and trying to legally justify said behavior, when it is clearly not permitted by the statutes they cite.

DrDeke
If you don't want it known, don't say it on a phone.

N231YE

Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:48 am

While I dislike SUVs greatly, this is too far. Though lives are not being lost yet, this is in fact, terrorism.

MDorBust

Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:55 am

Quoting DrDeke (Reply 15):
First, those laws only apply in a specific jurisdiction; one which you did not name.

They apply to the jurisdiction I live in. Hence, "Stay away from my tires". It's not likely that my tires will be in a position where I might have to defend them, and won't also be in the jurisdiction where these laws apply.

One would suspect that when I say, "Stay away from my tires" I'm using the law as applicable to MY location.

Second, those laws apply to the use of force to prevent damage to your property, not to retaliate for such damage.

Check again. You only get this one right if you only read half my post.

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 14):
§ 9.32. DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON.

If I find someone messing with my car and they have a sharp and pointy object, I'm no longer defending my property.

Sharp pointy object + distance of < 21ft = Legal use of deadly force in the defence of a person without necessity of retreat

While I do not think it makes sense to slash the tires of SUV as a political or environmental statement, I do enjoy watching Internet blowhards salivate over the possibility of using force against others in retaliation for property damage, and trying to legally justify said behavior, when it is clearly not permitted by the statutes they cite.

LOL.

You're funny.

Okay, you got me... I don't know anything about Texas law... most certainly not about it's application or enforcement..

No.. nothing at all...

rotfl 
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

greasespot

Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:56 am

Yes those deadly force provisions do not apply in canada...anywhere....You can use force to protect yourself....and reasonable force to protect your property....But you can only use deadly force if your life or someone elses life is in danger....

I also think that no one should die over a set of tires....

I know that from the police side if the douche ends up kicking your ass I would not charge them and would laugh my ass off....wonderful thing about officer discretion...no where in the criminal code does it say I must charge....It only says I may charge.....

I hate suvs and think they should be taxed out of existant but damaging them is to much.
GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

A332

Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:56 am

Those SUVs could have belonged to large families who need the space...

I hate the ignorance. Not everyone owns an SUV for style... they do serve a practical purpose too.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

greasespot

Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:02 am

Quoting A332 (Reply 19):
Those SUVs could have belonged to large families who need the space...

Um they had way larger families PRIOR to the arrival of SUV's......my grandparents had 15 kids and no SUV....they managed well...My parents had 5 kids and no SUV......so that argument is crap.....

GS

MDorBust

Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:25 am

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 18):
Yes those deadly force provisions do not apply in canada...anywhere....You can use force to protect yourself....and reasonable force to protect your property....But you can only use deadly force if your life or someone elses life is in danger....

Living within the law is an exercise in proper articulation.

If you tell a cop that you shot a guy because he was screwing with your car, you are going to jail for a very long time.

If you tell that same cop that you shot a guy because he had a lethal weapon and you were afraid for your life, you operated inside the constraints of the law.

Both could explain the exact same situation.

L-188

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:03 am

Yes we are too soft on them.

Groups on Greenpeace employ tactics that verge on criminal. This case clearly was.

Do you think the idiots that knifed the tires ever thought about the damage making the replacement tires will cause?

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 7):
2 SUVs in Copenhagen that had been tagged with spraypaint....

I thought the solvents in aerosol paint was bad too...

And is the person who defines "reasonable" under the stress of the moment and with the information or lack there of possesed by the victim at the time?

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 21):
Living within the law is an exercise in proper articulation.

If you tell a cop that you shot a guy because he was screwing with your car, you are going to jail for a very long time.

If you tell that same cop that you shot a guy because he had a lethal weapon and you were afraid for your life, you operated inside the constraints of the law.

Exactly, It all depends on if the officer has his quota for the month.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

greasespot

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:31 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 21):

Not here...your still getting charged......We do not have provisions for lethal force use for property in Canada.....plus there is reverse onus...You need to prove you were threatened with deadly force and that you exercised all options prior to its application.

GS

MDorBust

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:41 am

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 23):
Not here...your still getting charged......

Well, I also can't legally carry my weapon in Canada... So I'd be really screwed  Wink

A332

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:55 pm

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 20):
Um they had way larger families PRIOR to the arrival of SUV's......my grandparents had 15 kids and no SUV....they managed well...My parents had 5 kids and no SUV......so that argument is crap.....

Times have changed just a little in the past several decades. American (and Canadian) life has evolved around the automobile and the vast majority of today's families need large vehicles for transportation purposes. In the 1970s, it was all about the big huge station wagon to pack around a family of 6 or more...

Today, large families turn to SUVs like the Suburban or the Expedition for people hauling capabilities. Unfortunately, not all of us are able to squeeze all our family members into Honda Civics.

It's that simple. I don't excuse people who commute to work alone in H2s... but I certainly will stand up for people who own SUVs for practical purposes.. if not people hauling, then for trailer towing purposes (travel trailers, boats, etc).

itsnotfinals

Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:06 pm

these idiots don't ever think about the greenhouse gases and resources that will just get used to replace what they messed up.

pathetic.
Speedbird 178 Heavy, FINAL runway 27L

Flighty

Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:36 pm

Quoting A332 (Reply 25):
It's that simple. I don't excuse people who commute to work alone in H2s... but I certainly will stand up for people who own SUVs for practical purposes.. if not people hauling, then for trailer towing purposes (travel trailers, boats, etc).

I don't see the difference at all.

H2 driving alone: completely retarded.

SUV towing a powerboat: also retarded.

I should know, I have an old SUV and some boats. These things are wasteful and now, knowing what I know, I would never buy those things again. Motorboats pollute lakes, make noise... no need.

People who buy SUVs need to learn the facts. SUVs do kill. Every gallon of oil contains blood and environmental harm, now and future.

It all comes down to whether you believe personal freedom is a good thing. I don't. It's destroying the world before we even know what is happening. Ecologically, the world may be doomed already. It will take millions of years to heal and re-evolve. Personal freedom only belongs to the richest 1 billion or so people, anyway. The other 5.5 billion are basically slaves to serve us. They don't drive any SUVs at all.

[Edited 2007-07-28 09:37:37]

Flighty

Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:43 pm

Quoting A332 (Reply 25):
Unfortunately, not all of us are able to squeeze all our family members into Honda Civics.

We here in the USA are corpulent lard asses too, but we still can fit into Civics. Civics are actually quite large now -- the size of Accords of 1990.

A young family can easily ride around in a civic. Lots of families drive miniwagons - Audi A4, Volvo V40, Mazda 5. Unless you weight over about 290 pounds, they are quite comfy.

SUVs were not necessary in the early 1980s and still aren't today.

I think people are just mentally lazy, used to driving a 4,800lb vehicle because a 2,800lb vehicle requires slightly more thought. People hate thinking, they just want to have a huge vehicle (bigger than their friends') and carry everything inside.

Anyway, this is why gas needs to include natural resource surcharges of around $5 per gallon. For every gram of co2 you emit, trees must be planted on new land. That's quite expensive. Or, we can all give up our future... in which case, why have kids at all?

MDorBust

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:00 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 28):

I'll give you the same challenge I give everyone that says this.

Take a Honda Civic.

Put 800lbs of feed in it.

Drive it through the Plum Creek low water ford, up the cracked shale hill and into our back pasture.

My "mentally lazy" "corpulent lard ass" will be much amused.

Jetsgo

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:21 pm

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 29):

Obviously you are the exception, as a majority of SUV drivers do not do that on a daily basis, let alone ever.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

Doona

Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:26 pm

The perpetrators, or indeed, the one perp they managed to catch will be charged with the crime she committed, which doesn't seem soft, does it? While being stupid and idiotic, I don't think that her reasons for committing the crime is any worse than a 14 year-old boy who'd think it'd be "fun".

Quoting Bofredrik (Reply 10):
But they make a lot of illegal things that they think is OK.

I pretty much hate Greenpeace, especially since I fould out that they convince a number of African leaders to turn down an offer of lots and lots of free genetically modified food, since Greenpeace did not think it was natural. Some people cannot afford to be that picky all the time, and I wonder how many people starved to death because some middle-class white assholes don't like the idea of genetically modified crops. Still, I agree with the fact that we ought to save the planet, albeit with different methods. The French had the right idea, no? Send a couple of DGSE operatives and blow the whole thing up. In "secret"?  duck 

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

FriendlySkies

Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:09 pm

Drive it through the Plum Creek low water ford, up the cracked shale hill and into our back pasture.

That's a good example of why the SUV was actually developed and what it's SUPPOSED to be used for. Good job.

I think the beef with most people on this thread, myself included, is those who buy Hummers to drive around NYC.

jafa39

Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Burns me up to hear about this sorta thing, there were some US "Greenies" who went round torching SUV show rooms and therefore releasing more pollution than the vehicles would have released in a lifetime.....this isn't a green act, it is spiteful BS......if they want to change the world they should do it by example not by hypocrisy.

Don't mind people who want to be green but can't stand smug activists who think they are soooo clever, going around wrecking stuff.

They should get out there and save a few Whales if they want to get the adrenaline flowing......
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

ozglobal

Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:05 pm

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

I'm not for doing wrong that good may come it (tire slashing), however, one gets the impression that certain people would just love to have a flimsy legal pretext for doing violence to another in the name of defending what is theirs. It is most repugnant.
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

greasespot

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:41 pm

that is a minority.....most drive out ther drveway....down the street...onto highway....into praking lot and park...

that is the problem......

GS

greasespot

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:46 pm

Quoting A332 (Reply 25):
Today, large families turn to SUVs like the Suburban or the Expedition for people hauling capabilities. Unfortunately, not all of us are able to squeeze all our family members into Honda Civics.

Those are very few and far between....Most are NOT large families...most are 1-3 kids....who fit nicely into a civic...or minivan....

Oh and most ninivans seat the same as a suburban....

GS

A332

Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:20 am

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 36):
Those are very few and far between....Most are NOT large families...most are 1-3 kids....who fit nicely into a civic...or minivan....

It doesn't matter, big families do exist and need the space that large SUVs provide... and you don't squeeze two adults and three teens into a Honda Civic in comfort, especially on trips. Nice try though!

Oh... and minivans cannot tow travel trailers either.

Flighty

Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:40 am

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 36):

Today's so-called "minivans" are getting bigger and bigger. The Honda Odyssey is a huge, ~5,000 lb monster. With 260 horsepower engine as well, if I recall. It's just a modern "van," not "minivan" IMO.

The point is simple, there is an accounting problem in world trade and finance. The costs to nature are not counted. Therefore, it's a huge bank robbery against Nature's bank -- fish, forests, the climate, everything.

If we pay a tax to maintain the environment, it is like paying guards to guard your bank. Sure, guards cost money. Reclaiming industrial land for the animals is also costly. But debts need to be repaid.

There is a misconception that Earth can only support us through industrial extraction of minerals and development. Actually, Earth can support us with natural systems such as forests and oceans. We can use our technology on top of those natural systems to survive for a million more years. Or, we can just rob and destroy those systems, dooming ourselves.

I like the natural idea, because it's more mathematically correct. Having to re-create or simulate the natural products we enjoy (such as clean air) because we destroyed nature, is a real drag. Why don't we just let the planet take care of us the way it evolved to do? It's so much easier, and we humans require so little for survival. Just some food, water and a little electricity (less and less all the time thanks to improving electronics).

End of rant, for now.

WildcatYXU

Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:12 am

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 12):

Put me to your hitlist too, GC. If anyone would enter my property, mess with my property or with property of my guests, there would be consequences.

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 23):
Not here...your still getting charged......We do not have provisions for lethal force use for property in Canada.....plus there is reverse onus...You need to prove you were threatened with deadly force and that you exercised all options prior to its application.

Why do I have the feeling that the perpetrator has all the rights and the victim zero? Why do I have to justify the use of force if somebody enters my house without my permission and refuses to leave it? How should I know that he doesn't own a black belt in some martial art? BTW, trying to exercise non-deadly options will usually get you to the morgue.

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 35):
that is a minority.....most drive out ther drveway....down the street...onto highway....into praking lot and park...

that is the problem......

And how do you know that they don't own some property where they need it? Many people around YXU have day jobs in the city but live at farms outside... Hence the commute with SUV's or pick-up trucks. BTW, your sqad car takes as much fuel as most modern SUV's.
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, Saab 340, YAK40

mdsh00

Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:50 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 38):
Today's so-called "minivans" are getting bigger and bigger. The Honda Odyssey is a huge, ~5,000 lb monster. With 260 horsepower engine as well, if I recall. It's just a modern "van," not "minivan" IMO.

True but the Oddysey also has an "Eco" feature that shuts off half of the cylinders whenever the car is coasting. It helps a lot in fuel economy for my moms' Oddysey.

As far as fitting people and some cargo, a minivan can do the same as an SUV, but minivans just aren't "cool."
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

WildcatYXU

Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:33 am

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 40):
As far as fitting people and some cargo, a minivan can do the same as an SUV, but minivans just aren't "cool."

Yeah, the "soccer mom syndrome". As a matter of fact, a minivan of same size can usually offer more space than a SUV. Too bad that the minivans have the stigma of "uncoolnes". However, there is always a way. There were some "daddy vans" available in Europe some time ago, with lower suspension, sharper engine, six speed manual tranny, etc...

Not to mention that SUV's and minivans ideal platforms for fuel efficient diesel engines. But no, we can't have them (except BAFDT's). Why can be the Dodge Caravan sold in EU with the 300 CDI engine and not around here? BTW, the same is valid for the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Magnum.
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, Saab 340, YAK40

yowza

Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:26 am

Quoting DrDeke (Reply 13):
What if the hippie douche bag ended up kicking your ass instead? (As unlikely as that may be...) Would you decline to press charges since you were the one who escalated the matter to a physical fight?

haha I think I would not press charges out of sheer embarrassment.

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 12):

Smile

I just don't see why more people can't be moderate. Extremism of all sorts, not just religious and political has never been a good thing and it amazes me that clowns like this think they are doing a service to future generations.

PS I'm celebrating 2 years on A.net, seems like way longer than that.

YOWza

L-188

Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:01 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 28):

You know I actually thought about that comment today, when I was using the tailgate of my pickup as a table while I ripped down a 4/8 piece of sheeting.

It seemed even a sillier comment at that time.

VonRichtofen

Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:29 am

Quoting A332 (Reply 25):

Nice try, SUV's generally have less seating space than minivans and less cargo space and consume twice the fuel. Sure they can tow stuff, but how many families actually tow things? Majority don't. Some do, but then having a huge boat isn't really a necessity is it? Besides, many SUV and pick-up owners aren't larger families at all! They're macho idiots who think they're bad ass with their huge vehicle. Look around man.

Most people buy SUV's because they're mindless idiots who just go with what the trends are, or they're insecure jackasses who need a big macho vehicle. The people who actually use SUV's for what they're designed for are the minority. I agree with Greasespot, they should tax the shit out of SUV's AND big pick-up trucks unless you can prove a genuine need for such a ridiculous vehicle.

I'm going to go on a bit of a rant here, but I gotta vent:

I'm all for freedom of choice, but this freedom comes with responsibility. Responsibility for the future of our environment. The sad fact is, the general population cannot be relied upon to make responsible choices in this regard. Climate change is happening, pollution is at all time highs, smog alerts, gas prices are higher than ever, yet these mouth breathers continue buying retarded vehicles because they're insecure or what have you. You should see it in Calgary, many people from shitty towns all over Canada are moving here. It's a big, congested city, yet they still insist on driving a pick-up truck. I guess you can take the trash out of the trailer but not the trailer out of the trash. You cannot change these people, so I'm afraid the only solution is to make owning an SUV or Pick-up such an expensive proposition that Schmoe Johnson won't bother with it, and he'll have to put his West Coast Choppers decal on a Prius or something. Sure some will still be able to afford them, but they'll be the minority, not the average chumps daily driver.

As far as the people who genuinely need SUV's or Pick-ups (Farmers, tradesmen) then the taxes will be waived.

/end rant.

L-188

Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:00 am

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 44):
less cargo space

A different type of cargo space.....A mini-van doesn't clean out very well with a hose.

pollution is at all time highs

I would disargee, we don't have the soot generating industries any more, catalytic converters on vehicles and milage is higher.

As far as the people who genuinely need SUV's or Pick-ups

Just out of curiosity how would you test if people need "SUV"'s???

VonRichtofen

Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:16 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 45):
I would disargee, we don't have the soot generating industries any more, catalytic converters on vehicles and milage is higher.

This is true, but whatever gains that have been made with increased mileage has mostly gone to make bigger engines that consume the same amount as a smaller engine did 20 years ago. The result is that consumption total is the same or probably higher than before.

Quoting L-188 (Reply 45):
Just out of curiosity how would you test if people need "SUV"'s???

Their address. Live in a rural area and have a family or are a farmer? Ok, you'll probably need the off road capabilities of an SUV. Live in an urban area? You're SOL. SUV's are absolutely not required in cities whatsoever. You never see tradesmen driving them, they either drive pick-ups or work vans. Those who live in urban areas and claim they need SUV's for winter driving are either just making lame excuses, or they drive like teenage girls. Funny how 20 year old college girls get around fine in civics and corollas even if they live in satellite towns, even in winter.

WildcatYXU

Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:38 am

I don't understand one thing. We see here a lot of rants about SUV's. They guzzle gas, but at least they help their owners to get to work. But nobody complains about another category here, that may be real guzzlers. Boats, ATV's, snowmobiles. All these guzzle gas like crazy but still, no complaints.

A332

Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:49 pm

Sure they can tow stuff, but how many families actually tow things? Majority don't. Some do, but then having a huge boat isn't really a necessity is it? Besides, many SUV and pick-up owners aren't larger families at all! They're macho idiots who think they're bad ass with their huge vehicle. Look around man.

Wow... so I guess we all have to conform to what you believe is right and wrong then? I better get rid of my trailer and forget about enjoying the outdoors with my friends and family... apparently I just own my truck to be 'bad ass'.

Most people buy SUV's because they're mindless idiots who just go with what the trends are, or they're insecure jackasses who need a big macho vehicle. The people who actually use SUV's for what they're designed for are the minority. I agree with Greasespot, they should tax the shit out of SUV's AND big pick-up trucks unless you can prove a genuine need for such a ridiculous vehicle.

Your opinion. You can't paint all truck/SUV owners with the same brush because you do not know what motivates each person to purchase such a vehicle. By the way, owners already pay more in taxes through purchase, fueling & maintenance of these vehicles.

I'm all for freedom of choice, but this freedom comes with responsibility. Responsibility for the future of our environment.

I commute to and from work in a small car and use this vehicle for almost all of my driving... and MANY people at work and in my neighborhood do the same thing. If you think that all truck/SUV owners are self-centered idiots who do not understand practicality or conservation, you're sadly mistaken.

L-188

Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:25 pm

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 47):
But nobody complains about another category here, that may be real guzzlers. Boats, ATV's, snowmobiles. All these guzzle gas like crazy but still, no complaints.

Yeah but those are mostly two strokes and since every stroke is a power stroke they are twice as efficent Big grin

I think that is the way it works.