texan

MLB Trade Deadline Thread

Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:53 am

Figured it'd be nice to have a one stop shop for all the deadline deals.

Word is that the Rangers and Braves have agreed to a trade. Braves get Mark Teixeira and Ron Mahay, while the Rangers get Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Elvis Andrus, Matt Harrison, and another young minor league pitcher, likely Nestali Feliz.

The Rangers are also getting a ton of interest from Detroit, Boston, and the Yanks about Eric Gagne. Additionally, since the Braves deal appears to have gone through, the Rangers also plan to trade Gerald Laird and somebody else (a reliever, I think) to the Cubs for Felix Pie and a prospect.

Octavio Dotel is also likely to be on the move from Kansas City. Jermaine Dye and Jon Garland could be headed out of Chi-town. And many more rumors will pop up in the next 24 hours!

I wish the Angels had thrown in one more prospect for Tex. They were offering Kotchman, and their young lefthander Joe Saunders who is something like 4-1 with a 2.56 ERA so far this year, along with a third prospect.

The Rangers should also try to move Hank Blalock, and they are actively shopping Slammin' Sammy. Aki Otsuka can also be had, but since he and Hammerin' Hank are both on the DL, it is unlikely either will be moved by tomorrow.

Texan

EDIT: Dallas Morning News confirms trade. The DMN is also reporting that we might get Tommy Hanson instead of Neftali Perez.

[Edited 2007-07-30 19:04:43]
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

piercey

RE: MLB Trade Deadline Thread

Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:56 am

Quoting Texan (Thread starter):
Jarrod Saltalamacchia

That's a great pickup for TEX. He's gonna be a good catcher.

As for Houston, Anybody want Jason Jennings? He's yours for a bag of balls and a water boy...

Although Wigginton is cool, and now we could shop Ensberg

As for the Sox, what did we get for Iguchi? Whatever, in theory this prospect we have should be beastly, but we will see.

Any chance of Gagne coming to Houston?  Smile

piercey in CLE  Sad
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

aace24

Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:20 am

I'm glad we got Tex.

But I'm also worried about giving up Salty and Elvis Andrus. Andrus is drawing comparisons to Jeter.

Hopefully we can get Tex signed to a long term eventually.

srbmod

Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:32 am

Word is that the Rangers and Braves have agreed to a trade. Braves get Mark Teixeira and Ron Mahay, while the Rangers get Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Elvis Andrus, Matt Harrison, and another young minor league pitcher, likely Nestali Feliz.

While Teixeira is a good pick up, I think the Braves are giving up way too many prospects in this deal. While we do need some help in the bullpen, something we get in Mahay, I'm getting a bad feeling if this trade goes down (ESPN is reporting the only hold up is the checking of some medical records. I'm assuming it's the Braves checking them since both Teixeira and Mahay have had stints in the DL in recent weeks.).

texan

Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:36 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 3):
ESPN is reporting the only hold up is the checking of some medical records

The Rangers are also checking on Harrison. He has had some arm problems the past year. Rangers aren't too concerned, just wanted to check on the MRI, etc.

Texan

mke717spotter

Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:46 am

I was pretty sure that Adam Dunn would have been on the move by now, but so far there hasn't really been anything on him besides that deal that supposedly was scratched with the Brewers.

Quoting Piercey (Reply 1):
That's a great pickup for TEX. He's gonna be a good catcher.

I agree, he's got a bright future ahead of him. He's also got a pretty cool last name.  Wink
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

dsmflyer

Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:06 am

I don't think Hendry is stupid enough to trade Pie for Laird. I'm pretty happy with what the Cubs have now, but I wouldn't mind picking up a lefty reliever. I really wanted Mahay, but someone like Damaso Marte would be good too.

AirCop

Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:40 am

While Teixeira is a good pick up,

Wonder if history is repeating itself when in 1993 the Braves picked up Fred McGriff, which sparked them to overtake the San Francisco Giants to win the NL West on the last day of the season, with both teams winning over 101 games.

texan

Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:58 am

The Phillies picked up Kyle Lohse from the Reds for Double A pitcher Matt Maloney. Lohse is 6-12 with a 4.58 ERA so far. Lohse could be a boost to the rotation, but he can be prone to giving up the longball, which is not a good thing for a pitcher going to the little league sized field in Philly. Not a bad pickup, though.

Look for Eric Gagne to be in a Red Sox uniform, although the Yankees are the other team in the bidding war for him.

Texan

AASuper83

Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:27 am

With the recent DFA of Morgan Ensberg.........I"m hoping my Giants decide to make a move for him, just to replace the sloppy play that is Pedro Feliz.

The Braves, unless they can get an extension, gave up entirely too much for Teixeira IMO.

N1120A

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:10 am

Jarrod Saltalamacchia,

You copied and pasted that, because even I can't remember how to spell his name.  Silly

Braves get Mark Teixeira

Sad that the Angels didn't get him, as he would have been a good addition and is much younger than Konerko. In the end, the Rangers wanted too much

and the Yanks about Eric Gagne.

With the way Rivera has played this year, one would have to question as to whether Gagne would take the closer role

Octavio Dotel is also likely to be on the move from Kansas City

The question is, who would the Dodgers give up for him? I am hoping not any of their core guys (read: Andre Ethier) who are already in the majors. Perhaps the shortstop prospect they have down in the minors, who is playing behind one of the best in Furcal?

I wish the Angels had thrown in one more prospect for Tex. They were offering Kotchman, and their young lefthander Joe Saunders who is something like 4-1 with a 2.56 ERA so far this year, along with a third prospect.

Actually, I am glad the Angels didn't give up what Texas wanted. As I saw it, Saunders was not the guy to give up anyway, as they need a lefty in that rotation, and he has played serious ball when given the opportunity. I personally think they should have given up on the Ervin Santana experiment and let him and Kotchman go, as I think Santana's raw stuff would have sold the Rangers better on that trade.

Quoting Piercey (Reply 1):
He's gonna be a good catcher.

And he can play first, as he did in Atlanta because of McCann's presence

Quoting Texan (Reply 8):
The Phillies picked up Kyle Lohse from the Reds for Double A pitcher Matt Maloney. Lohse is 6-12 with a 4.58 ERA so far. Lohse could be a boost to the rotation, but he can be prone to giving up the longball, which is not a good thing for a pitcher going to the little league sized field in Philly.

Actually, I think this is a good deal for Philly. What it allows them to do is shore up their 'pen with either Lohse himself or one of their current starters.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

dragon-wings

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 am

According to ESPN the Mets are close to a deal to acquire Twins second baseman Luis Castillo for AA catcher Drew Butera and Single-A outfielder Dustin Martin.

Not anything to do with the trade deadline but Perdo Martinez will make his first rehab start Wednesday for the St. Lucie Mets. Hopefully everything will go well and he will be back soon. Then the Mets will not have to worry about starting Mike Pelfrey or Jorge Sosa anymore!
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

N1120A

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:50 am

Well, here is a new rumor being thrown around on MLB.com. Apparently the Angels may now be interested in Mike Piazza. The only thing I can think is that they are worried that Jeff Mathis is still not up to snuff offensively and that we may see Piazza crouching behind the plate again until Mike Napoli returns.

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 11):
According to ESPN the Mets are close to a deal to acquire Twins second baseman Luis Castillo for AA catcher Drew Butera and Single-A outfielder Dustin Martin.

Interesting move, as the Twinkies definitely don't need a catcher. Then again, if this Martin is any good, the Twins could add some depth to their outfield.

texan

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:18 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 10):
You copied and pasted that, because even I can't remember how to spell his name.

That's what good lawyers and law students do, right?  Silly

Texan

N1120A

Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:31 am

Quoting Texan (Reply 13):

That's what good lawyers and law students do, right?

Well, I did once have a supervisor tell me when drafting an appellate brief that the law is all about plagiarism.  Silly

piercey

Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:15 pm

Quoting Mke717spotter (Reply 5):
He's also got a pretty cool last name.

I think it's longest the league has ever seen, IIRC.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 12):
and that we may see Piazza crouching behind the plate again until Mike Napoli returns.

Has he played behind the plate since leaving NY? I would really be worried about his knees, if even for a few games

piercey in CLE  Sad
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

N1120A

Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:23 pm

Quoting Piercey (Reply 15):

Has he played behind the plate since leaving NY?

He was San Diego's starting catcher last year.

Continental

Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:25 pm

The Mets stole our Castillo today. The deal didn't seem worth it.

To top it all off, we lost KG as well!

AASuper83

Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:30 pm

Has he played behind the plate since leaving NY? I would really be worried about his knees, if even for a few games

Oakland's been talking about having Piazza play catcher part time there.....so it wouldnt be a stretch for the LAA to do the same.

N1120A

Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:32 pm

Quoting AASuper83 (Reply 18):

Oakland's been talking about having Piazza play catcher part time there.....so it wouldnt be a stretch for the LAA to do the same.

And the Angels have a need, particularly considering how weak Mathis is with the bat.

piercey

Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:45 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 16):
He was San Diego's starting catcher last year.

I thought he first? Oh well....

either way, Dotel to Atlanta, me scratches head...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/mlb...Dv8pZMo4nchiUbYRvLYF?urn=mlb,40796

piercey in CLE  Sad

AASuper83

Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:49 pm

Hopefully they don't expect Dotel to be their closer....he'd be an Armando Blownitez-redux. Dotel's a great set-up guy, but I think he'd be a gas can at closer.

N1120A

Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:56 pm

Quoting AASuper83 (Reply 21):
Dotel's a great set-up guy, but I think he'd be a gas can at closer.

He has done a good job closing for KC.

Quoting Piercey (Reply 20):

I thought he first?

www.baseballreference.com

Very useful site. Piazza caught every game he didn't DH in last year.

It says to me that Atlanta is very serious about making a run, because they pretty much got the two best guys out there in Teixiera and Dotel. Also, with the way Wickman has screwed the pooch this year, I think Dotel has a chance to end up as the Fireman in Atlanta.

piercey

Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:12 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 22):
Also, with the way Wickman has screwed the pooch this year, I think Dotel has a chance to end up as the Fireman in Atlanta.

It's Wickman's job to lose atm, and, quite frankly, I think Dotel will get it and he'll do fine. He's in a market that doesn't have great media attention on baseball and as long as he doesn't have pressure on him he's fine.

playoffs are another story....

piercey in CLE  Sad

N1120A

Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:19 pm

Quoting Piercey (Reply 23):

It's Wickman's job to lose atm

Honestly, Wickman has done everything he can to try and lose that job.

Now, what is this news on Blanton to the Dodgers and what does it involve?

AASuper83

Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:25 pm

According to Buster Olney, it's Blanton to the Dodgers for Matt Kemp or Ethier.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2955237&campaign=rss

[Edited 2007-07-31 08:27:52]

N1120A

Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:28 pm

Quoting AASuper83 (Reply 25):
According to Buster Olney, it's Blanton to the Dodgers for Matt Kemp or Ethier.

Either one would be an awful move for the Dodgers, as that is 2/3rds of the Dodgers' outfield for the next 15 years if they want. There is a rumor out now that the deal might be for 19 year old lefty phenom Clayton Kershaw, who was pulled from his latest start after only one inning. Personally, I think Andy LaRoche, who is behind Garciaparra and Betemit (for now, Betemit may well be going to the Wankees for Proctor), would be a far better candidate than Ethier or Kemp.

ORFflyer

Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:42 pm

I think the Braves are giving up way too many prospects in this deal.

Agreed - I like getting Tex, but I'm not sure about losing Salty, or the others. I guess that's why we're typing our opinions on a forum instead of sitting in on Schuerholz's strategy meetings....  Wink

Apparently the Angels may now be interested in Mike Piazza. The only thing I can think is that they are worried that Jeff Mathis is still not up to snuff offensively and that we may see Piazza crouching behind the plate again until Mike Napoli returns.

I'd love to see him behind the plate again, but I don't think he can maintain that for too long. DHing is his thing now. How long is Napoli out?

I would really be worried about his knees,

checkmark 

Good pick-up if you ask me. Pitching is always a good thing.

aace24

Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:33 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 27):
Good pick-up if you ask me. Pitching is always a good thing.

I think its a great move.

Plus, we've given Davies more than enough opportunities to prove himself. It's time for him to move on.

ORFflyer

Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:40 pm

Quoting AAce24 (Reply 28):
It's time for him to move on.

checkmark  Now, if we can get someone to start beating the Mets........

garnetpalmetto

Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:54 pm

Early indications have the Pirates trying to shop Jack Wilson to the Tigers. *sigh* When, oh when, will my beloved Buccos turn the corner and return to their former glory?
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

KROC

Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:06 am

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 30):
Early indications have the Pirates trying to shop Jack Wilson to the Tigers. *sigh* When, oh when, will my beloved Buccos turn the corner and return to their former glory?

A light hitting shortstop with average defense and a huge salary. Thank god Steve Phillips isn't the GM of the Mets right now!!!

aace24

Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:21 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 31):
A light hitting shortstop with average defense and a huge salary. Thank god Steve Phillips isn't the GM of the Mets right now!!!

But yet, ESPN thinks he's capable of analyzing other GM's moves.

I've never understood that.

Mir

Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:27 am

Apparently the Angels may now be interested in Mike Piazza. The only thing I can think is that they are worried that Jeff Mathis is still not up to snuff offensively and that we may see Piazza crouching behind the plate again until Mike Napoli returns.

Good move if they can get him to DH, but as a catcher he's a big departure from the Angels system of not helping the other team out in the field. You'll have people running off of him who never even dreamed of stealing a base.

-Mir

[Edited 2007-07-31 17:28:22]
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

garnetpalmetto

Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:29 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 31):
A light hitting shortstop with average defense and a huge salary

Average defense? Slow your roll there, KROC. A .982 fielding percentage puts him 4th in the NL among shortstops - a bit ahead of Reyes.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

KROC

Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:57 am

Okay, what else does he offer besides a .982 fielding percentage? I'm also not sure I would compare him to Reyes in any regards.

aace24

Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:01 am

The Tex deal is STILL not official yet.

Please hurry this up, so the Julio Franco starting at first base era, can end.

ANITIX87

Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:12 am

Quoting Texan (Reply 8):
Look for Eric Gagne to be in a Red Sox uniform, although the Yankees are the other team in the bidding war for him.

New York City newspapers are also reporting that the Mets are after Gagne. We'll see.

I hope the Yanks get him. And I hope to god the Yanks sack Farnsworth. I'm hearing Proctor might leave too, though I'm not convinced this would be wise.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

ORFflyer

Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:18 am

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 37):
I'm hearing Proctor might leave too, though I'm not convinced this would be wise.
Proctor is gone. Just caught the tail end of the story on the radio. Didn't even catch where he went. Checking now......

EDIT:

Found it here.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2955753

"Yankees to get infielder Betemit from L.A. for reliever Proctor"

Agreed in principle - waiting to be finalized.

[Edited 2007-07-31 19:21:25]

garnetpalmetto

Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:39 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 35):

Okay, what else does he offer besides a .982 fielding percentage? I'm also not sure I would compare him to Reyes in any regards.

Offensively there was the '04 season where he had 201 hits, 12 triples, 82 runs, 41 doubles, etc. - all enough to merit him the Silver Slugger. Of course the next season he had his appendectomy and he never regained all the weight he lost as a result. Defensively though, WIlson's a wizard, though quite underrated - that same year his offense struggled he led the entire MLB in assists, total chances, and double plays.

To compare him straight-up to Reyes right now, Reyes is the better offensive shortstop, Wilson the better defensive shortstop. All stat rankings are compared to other shortstops in the league

Hitting Stats:

Reyes:

Runs: 75 (3rd in the league)
Hits: 131 (5th in the league)
Doubles: 24 (8th in the league)
Triples: 10 (2nd in the league)
Home Runs: 7 (15th in the league)
Runs Batted In: 41 (16th in the league)
Walks: 52 (1st in the league)
Strikeouts: 53 (18th in the league)
Stolen bases: 49 (1st in the league)
Caught Stealing: 14 (1st in league)
OBP: .376
SLG: .452
AVG: .302

Wilson:

Runs: 41 (20th in the league)
Hits; 85 (23rd in the league)
Doubles: 15 (22nd in the league)
Triples: 2 (13th in the league)
Home Runs: 4 (22nd in the league)
Runs Batted in: 26 (26th in the league)
Walks: 24 (20th in the league)
Strikeouts: 32 (28th in the league)
Stolen bases: 0
Caught Stealing: 3 (17th in league)
OBP: .280
SLG: .340
AVG: .249

Defensive stats:

Wilson:

Games: 91
Games Started: 91
Innings: 813
Total Chances: 451 (8th in the league)
Put outs: 124 (21st in the league)
Assists: 319 (2nd in the league)
Errors: 8 (26th in the league)
Double plays: 73 (4th in the league)
Fielding Percentage: .982

Reyes:

Games: 104
Games Started: 104
Innings; 928
Total Chances: 412 (17th in the league)
Put outs: 126 (19th in the league)
Assists: 278 (14th in the league)
Errors: 8 (25th in the league)
Double Plays: 60 (16th in the league)
Fieldng Percentage: .981

texan

Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:05 am

Joel Piniero to the Cards for a prospect. Not a big deal, but something that might help boost the Cards just a bit.

Projections: Cordero will stay put in DC. Gagne to the Red Sox only because they have better prospects to offer than the Yankees, while the Mets and Brewers won't be willing to match the price the Rangers are looking for. Dye looks to be headed to the Sox as well. The Giants are also shopping Matt Morris.

Texan

dsmflyer

Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:12 am

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7072074

Rosenthal says Gagne's heading to Boston, pending his approval and a review of medical records.

fxramper

Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:23 am

Jul 31 - Updating a previous report, Toni Ginnetti, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the Boston Red Sox are set to offer RP Manny Delcarmen and OF Wily Mo Pena for Chicago White Sox OF Jermaine Dye.

Go BoSox!  yes 

KROC

Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:24 am

Maybe Wilson should start hanging out with Jason Giambi to regain that lost weight.  Wink

dsmflyer

Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:39 am

Quoting Fxramper (Reply 42):

I guess the White Sox turned that down?

msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7078822

"The Red Sox are on the verge of acquiring closer Eric Gagne, but their talks with the White Sox involving right fielder Jermaine Dye seemingly are dead, according to a major-league source.

The two teams apparently could not come to an agreement on players. Dye never was formally approached for his permission to approve a deal."

AASuper83

Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:56 am

Not that it's a trade, but according to the SF Chronicle and Peter Gammons, the Giants are close to acquiring Morgan Ensberg off waivers.

N1120A

Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:49 am

Quoting AAce24 (Reply 36):

Please hurry this up, so the Julio Franco starting at first base era, can end.

Hey there, Julio Franco can still hit the ball.

Quoting Mir (Reply 33):

Good move if they can get him to DH, but as a catcher he's a big departure from the Angels system of not helping the other team out in the field. You'll have people running off of him who never even dreamed of stealing a base.

Not really. Piazza still has a very strong arm and knows how to handle pitchers very well, as evidenced by catching multiple no hitters. Also, it is not as if the Angels will be playing the Angels. The AL still isn't much of a running league.

Quoting KROC (Reply 31):

A light hitting shortstop with average defense and a huge salary.

I would say his defense is top notch and his hitting potential is there. Still, I don't know if they want to get Guillen's bat out of that lineup.

How long is Napoli out?

Well, he is on the 15 day DL, so at least another week or so. The problem is, hamstring injuries can be a bitch

I'd love to see him behind the plate again, but I don't think he can maintain that for too long.

Hey, he has done it for a very long time

Quoting Mir (Reply 33):

Good move if they can get him to DH

Honestly, the Angels already have a heating up Garret Anderson platooning DH/LF with the guy who should be the AL ROY in Reggie Willits. Piazza's value would be in having him DH against tough lefties and to get Mathis' bat out of the lineup.

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 34):
A .982 fielding percentage puts him 4th in the NL among shortstops - a bit ahead of Reyes.

By .001. Not a real difference.

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 39):

To compare him straight-up to Reyes right now, Reyes is the better offensive shortstop, Wilson the better defensive shortstop.

Yeah, I think that is a bit of a reach. Reyes probably has the best arm this side of Rafael Furcal and has so much range that he sometimes makes "errors" on balls other guys can't get. Also, he has been without a consistent double play partner all year. Castillo will help that.

Quoting AASuper83 (Reply 45):
Not that it's a trade, but according to the SF Chronicle and Peter Gammons, the Giants are close to acquiring Morgan Ensberg off waivers.

He wasn't on waivers last I checked, rather he was DFA'd. That means if they want him, they will have to give the 'Stros value.

dsmflyer

Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:21 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 46):
Piazza still has a very strong arm

Piazza is a terrible defensive catcher and has been for quite some time. His arm strength and accuracy are well below average, and he's always been among the league's worst in throwing out base runners. Teams run on him all day long.

N1120A

Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:26 am

Quoting DSMflyer (Reply 47):

Piazza is a terrible defensive catcher and has been for quite some time.

Piazza has posted 6 years with a fielding percentage of .990 or higher, including as recently as 2 years ago when he made only 2 errors and had a .997 FP.

Quoting DSMflyer (Reply 47):

His arm strength and accuracy are well below average, and he's always been among the league's worst in throwing out base runners

Piazza's arm strength has never been questioned. He was a third baseman when drafted and was known to have a cannon. His issue with throwing out base runners always had to do with his ability to get out of the crouch at 6'3" quickly enough to get the throw off. Further, in his years with the Dodgers, he was plagued with pitching that was slow to the plate and lacked decent pickoff moves.

texan

Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:27 am

Quoting AASuper83 (Reply 45):

Gone to the Padres, I think.

Big winners in the sweepstakes: Braves, Red Sox, Rangers. Braves picked up a solid power hitting 1B in Tex and a great set-up guy in Dotel. Red Sox picked up Eric Gagne to basically make the back end of their 'pen unhittable. The Rangers picked up a good amount of people for the future. We picked up the two best prospects in the Braves organization with Salty ready for the majors, as well as two pitchers with good upside! Additionally, we picked up Kason Gabbord from the BoSox minor league pitching as well as Engel Beltre and David Murphy. Murphy should be up in the majors next year, while Beltre is 2-3 years away but is one hell of a talent at 16 years old. Gabbord will likely see some time in the Show next year as well.

Glad to see the Rangers getting good value for their players, at least! Maybe we finally have enough good pieces together to start thinking about a run in 2-3 years. Look for the Rangers to discuss trading Hank Blalock and Aki Otsuka during the offseason to continue rebuilding with prospects.

Texan