johnboy

Singapore Bans Gay Kissing Photo Exhibit

Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:37 am

Klaus

RE: Singapore Bans Gay Kissing Photo Exhibit

Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:41 am

Wasn't Singapore the city/country where it was already somewhat illegal being alive at all...?  mischievous 

MD11Engineer

Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:48 am

You mean this poster of a French-English rugby match would be illegal?  Wink

(Borrowed from http://www.print.duncans.tv/2007/rugby-players-kiss-in-paris/)

(Actually it is an advertisement poster by the Paris tourism department)

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

MD11Engineer

Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:03 am

Here is a zoom into the cental scene:

Jan

fumanchewd

Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:26 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 3):
Here is a zoom into the cental scene:

That's disgusting.

Look how dirty they are.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

cabso1

Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:28 am

It's surprising from the country that legalizes prostitution.

johnboy

Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:56 pm

I sent that agency an email on the feedback form from the website (I couldn't help it..... bigmouth  )
www.mda.gov.sg

They replied with a short note saying they received my message and would be sending a reply soon.

Doona

Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:38 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 1):
Wasn't Singapore the city/country where it was already somewhat illegal being alive at all...?

Yup, and don't forget to wash your hands after going to the bathroom. Not that I don't, I just don't like the fact that would be fined if I happened to forget...

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

Klaus

Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:57 pm

Quoting Doona (Reply 7):
Yup, and don't forget to wash your hands after going to the bathroom. Not that I don't, I just don't like the fact that would be fined if I happened to forget...

That's something I could actually agree with. Not washing one's hands is not just disgusting but also potentially a hazard for other people's health.  yuck 

LH526
Crew

Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:07 pm

Well, not the smartest move SIngapore, shows how narrow minded some politicians are!

But i'd rather worry about middle eastern countries where women are held like animals and totally opressed!

Mario
LH526
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

bwest

Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:47 pm

makes note: kiss boyfriend when in Singapore next month  checkmark 

Will fellow (gay) a-netters do a collect to pay for my bail ?  crossfingers 
I love my Airport Job! :)

Dougloid

Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:10 pm

Quoting Bwest (Reply 10):
makes note: kiss boyfriend when in Singapore next month

Will fellow (gay) a-netters do a collect to pay for my bail ?

They have a distressing habit in Singapore of caning people who've violated some infraction or other or seem to be a little bit contemptuous of how wonderful life is in that city. It's more or less flogging with a rattan cane. Are you ready for that?
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

futurecaptain

Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:26 pm

Not that I agree with not washing your hands but...

Quoting Klaus (Reply 8):
potentially a hazard for other people's health.

Nah, it just builds up your immune system better.  Smile
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

mt99

Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:34 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 11):
It's more or less flogging with a rattan cane. Are you ready for that?

I am sure some gay guys would love a 'spanking' from a hot and sexy police officer.. hehe  Wink
Step into my office, baby

Klaus

Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:47 pm

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 12):
Nah, it just builds up your immune system better.

For that I rather prefer letting children play in the mud a lot.

Getting smeared with other people's bathroom germs is not my idea of immune system training...!  yuck 

yowza

Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:47 pm

The most disturbing part of that rugby scrum image (the original) is the blue number 8 copping a feel of the blind-side flanker's ass.

YOWza

MD11Engineer

Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:50 pm

Well, as the T-shirt said, Singapore is a FINE city...  Wink

Jan

bwest

Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:53 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 11):
They have a distressing habit in Singapore of caning people who've violated some infraction or other or seem to be a little bit contemptuous of how wonderful life is in that city. It's more or less flogging with a rattan cane. Are you ready for that?

Would it make me a gay rights hero?  Wink
I love my Airport Job! :)

flashflyguy

Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:36 am

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 13):
I am sure some gay guys would love a 'spanking' from a hot and sexy police officer.. hehe

I realise your response is in jest. Though I don't suppose you've seen the photo's of the aftermath of a flogging with the rattan. It is very brutal. It's done across the bare butt, for the number of times prescribed by the court (and no less, regardless if you pass out or not) and makes an awful "bloody" mess. The flesh is actually opened up. Recipients don't usually sit down for months. A google search on rattan will yield info and photos and maybe a video or two of an actual flogging.

access-air

Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:36 am

Quoting FlashFlyGuy (Reply 18):
I realise your response is in jest. Though I don't suppose you've seen the photo's of the aftermath of a flogging with the rattan. It is very brutal. It's done across the bare butt, for the number of times prescribed by the court (and no less, regardless if you pass out or not) and makes an awful "bloody" mess. The flesh is actually opened up. Recipients don't usually sit down for months. A google search on rattan will yield info and photos and maybe a video or two of an actual flogging.

Maybe this is a way of making people that commit crimes here in the US stop......Can you imagine a person being caned for DUI???? Ill bet theyd think the next time they get their asses drunk.....Same for being arrested for dealing or being under the influence of a controlled substance.....There are a few other select crimes that would be appropriate for this kind of punishment.....
Its too bad the the ACLU would be all over lawmakers crying that it was cruel and unusual punishment....
Oh well....

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

windshear

Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:23 pm

As I understood the article, Singapore chose to ban the exhibit because it promotes homosexuality. So is that a bad thing? Promoting homosexuality? Do they think it could TURN people gay? I am really puzzled by that statement.

I thought Singapore was going to review their anti gay laws, is being gay still illegal?

Boaz.
"If you believe breaking is possible, believe in fixing also"-Rebbe Nachman

ManuCH
Crew

Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:30 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 8):
Not washing one's hands is not just disgusting but also potentially a hazard for other people's health.

Go to any bathroom in those highway restaurants ("Autogrill") in Italy, and you will prefer not washing your hands any day over touching that extremely dirty, filthy faucet which hasn't been washed for months, if not years. There are probably more bacteria on those faucets than in a biohazard lab  yuck 
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

HAJFlyer

Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:56 am

"Section 377 of the Singapore Penal Code criminalises penetrative non-reproductive sex between all persons regardless of gender, and section 377A criminalises non-penetrative sexual acts specifically between men. However, there are other portions of the Singapore Statutes which can be employed to criminalise homosexual behaviour."

Source: Wiki

However, there is a quite substantial gay scene in Singapore nonetheless:

Most popular Singaporean GLBT website

Bofredrik

Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:23 am

I think they do the right thing.
It is to much "gay" in the media.
We have "Pride" here this week.
I do not like it.
But i can not say that here as we
have a law against it.
Very democratic...
 Angry

Doona

Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:06 am

Quoting Bofredrik (Reply 23):
It is to much "gay" in the media.
We have "Pride" here this week.

Oh please. Of the television series' shown on SVT in the last decade there has been a grand total of TWO with gay themes. One was the British version of "Queer as Folk" (which was shown very late on Saturday nights), and the other was an 8-episode documentary about homosexuality and what it's like to be gay in today's Sweden. Oh noes, too much!

The media have been giving alot attention to the Pride festivities in the last week or so, and those segments are shown later in the news broadcasts, when the "real" news has already been reported. And rightly so, news about a social event should not take precendence over world events or actual news. Still, it is a major event and should be reported on as such. And you sir, as a straight man, are welcome to take part.

Oh, there was another thing last night, which got top priority by one news programme, which was that a religious high school was not complying with curriculum regulations, and were teaching the kids, among other things, that homosexuality was a sin. This falls into a big grey area of what is allowed to be taught in private schools in Sweden, so it was a big story.

Very democratic...

Actually, the "democratic" part would be to put more "gay" in the media, since the amount of media targeting homosexuals does not correspond with the size of the gay audience. But hey, we'll settle for equal rights and a few spots on the news around Pride Week.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

Charles79

Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:35 pm

The funny part is that I know folks here in the US that would actually vote for such a measure, and I'm sure some in our own government would rather have a society without us gays. Heck, we are one of the last (if not the last) Western "democracies" were gays are banned from serving in the military!

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 19):
Maybe this is a way of making people that commit crimes here in the US stop......Can you imagine a person being caned for DUI???? Ill bet theyd think the next time they get their asses drunk.....Same for being arrested for dealing or being under the influence of a controlled substance.....There are a few other select crimes that would be appropriate for this kind of punishment.....
Its too bad the the ACLU would be all over lawmakers crying that it was cruel and unusual punishment....
Oh well....

I wouldn't oppose such a law...or to punish the idiots that MUST talk on their cell phones while driving.
 banghead 

However, I've found out that Americans usually respond to laws when there's a monetary penalty involved (cause our jails are so crowded no one goes to prison in the first place!). Caning might deter some people, but fine DUI driver $5000USD and next time they'll hail a cab home!

Boeing744

Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:26 pm

Quoting Doona (Reply 24):
Actually, the "democratic" part would be to put more "gay" in the media, since the amount of media targeting homosexuals does not correspond with the size of the gay audience. But hey, we'll settle for equal rights and a few spots on the news around Pride Week.

checkmark 

Well maybe "too much gay in the media" to you is actually how much "gay" there is in real life. If gay people are getting more attention than straights in the media, then maybe there is reason to be angry... but I am sure that is not true. They should get their fair share, on issues that concern them.

One thing I noticed is that when I came out to my Scandinavian friends (Icelandic and Norwegian), they were extremely accepting, and never had any negative stereotypes about gay people. Actually all of my Canadian and American friends have been the same way, but the thing about the Scandinavians is that it seemed to be much more "normal" to them, and a part of everyday life. Here in North America people are also quite accepting (well, Canada and most of the US at least), but they are certainly not even as close to aware of gay issues, and just aren't as educated about it (and sexuality in general). For this I say good job to Scandinavia.

Also maybe
you shouldn't write
your posts
on seperate lines for no
obvious reason, making
your posts look a
lot like a
haiku.

pbottenb

Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:01 pm

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 25):
Western "democracies" were gays are banned from serving in the military!

I think that your statement is not precisely correct.

From the following link: http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2007/03/warner_disagree.html
The following is an opinion expressed in the comments. I think that this person may be correct.

"The truth is that being homosexual is not a violation of the Uniform code of Military Conduct (UCMJ) and never has been. However, sodomy is both a violation of the UCMJ and most law. A practicing homosexual actually will end up getting booted out, probably by Courts Martial.

As an Army Commander, I've had homosexuals serve in my unit and they were not punished as long as they were not 'practicing'. They served out their enlistment both honorably and proudly without fear of reprisal. this has always been a Commander's option."

windshear

Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:15 pm

Quoting Boeing744 (Reply 26):

Quoting Doona (Reply 24):

Why do I have the sense that Frederik is being sarcastic? I was under the impression, that he was gay himself...

Boaz.
"If you believe breaking is possible, believe in fixing also"-Rebbe Nachman

Doona

Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:32 pm

Quoting Windshear (Reply 28):
Why do I have the sense that Frederik is being sarcastic?

I doubt it, everytime there is a thread about general gayness, Bosse comes in and makes a post about how we 'mos are too visible and that he doesn't like it. And of course the general disclaimer that he is not a bad person, he just doesn't want everyone to have the same rights.

Cheers
Mats

Bofredrik

Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:38 pm

Quoting Windshear (Reply 28):

No. I am not gay.

But it seems here
like most other places
that it is not political correct
to have another view than
the gay lobby. And i am
not against people that
are gay. Just to compare
it with heterosexuals.

Doona

Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:23 pm

Quoting Bofredrik (Reply 30):
But it seems here
like most other places
that it is not political correct
to have another view than
the gay lobby

What gay lobby? Are you talking about RFSL? National Association for Sexual Equality. And hey, RFSL is more of a social organization than a political one, so I don't really se where you get the "lobby"-part.

Thankfully very few people in our country share your views Bo, and that's mostly limited to the Christian Demoratic party (which isn't very large, mind you). Equal rights for everyone, gays, immigrants, you name it, and if there was a gay lobby, that would be their view. That's what the law in Sweden says, and what gay activists (and there aren't really that many) are trying to do is get the government to own up to it's responsibilities and get rid of what few discriminatory laws actually still exist.

So yeah, if your views are fundamentally different to the ideals shared by most people - equal rights in this case - then people in general will not like it. I don't like it because for some reason you think you have the right to judge people because of what they do in the bedroom, which quite frankly is none of your business. I'm not gonna hurt you, or stop you from voicing your opinion, but I'm sure as hell gonna speak up when someone like yourself for example says that there is "too much gay in the media" just because you don't "like" with homosexuality, when in truth we're being ignored by the media until something bad happens.

Cheers
Mats

Bofredrik

Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:47 pm

Quoting Doona (Reply 31):

RFSL worked for more liberal laws against adults that have sex with children
until the 90:s so i do not trust them 100 %... They where working with
NAMBLA. (North American Man/Boy Love Association).

RFSL is a lobby organisation.
They have got awards for being the best lobby group...

[Edited 2007-08-04 14:49:47]

Doona

Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:58 pm

Quoting Bofredrik (Reply 32):

RFSL worked for more liberal laws against adults that have sex with children
until the 90:s so i do not trust them 100 %... They where working with
NAMBLA. (North American Man/Boy Love Association).

I wasn't aware of that, but I guess that does fall under "sexual equality"... Still, they're not into that sort of thing anymore, thankfully.

Quoting Bofredrik (Reply 32):

RFSL is a lobby organisation.
They have got awards for being the best lobby group...

I still have trouble calling an organization dedicated to equal rights as a lobby group. They're only trying to hurry up the processes which have already begun. And hell, RFSL isn't a gay lobby, come to think of it.

But for the sake of argument, what about the gay lobby bothers you?

Cheers
Mats

Bofredrik

Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:38 pm

I do not like that RFSL want homosexuality to be equal to hetrosexuality.
For me is hetrosexuality superior. I can accept homosexuals but nothing more.
Actually do i think that your or mine sexuality is private. So why make such
a song and dance about it with Pride or similar?

End of discussion for me.

ltbewr

Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:50 pm

Probably one explanation for their banning this exhibit is the need to not upset the Muslim minority that lives in and commutes to work in Singapore from Malaysia, a heavily Muslim country that surrounds them. Yes, that may be offensive to the concept of freedom of speech, but Singapore has a very unique culture that does do some things that are unacceptable to the Euro centered 'western' world to keep a balance that they see as necessary to continue to exist.

Doona

Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:04 pm

Quoting Bofredrik (Reply 34):
For me is hetrosexuality superior. I can accept homosexuals but nothing more.

Doesn't sound very accepting... So I am inferior to you?

Quoting Bofredrik (Reply 34):
So why make such
a song and dance about it with Pride or similar?

Because we like to dress up and sing and dance. And we like parades, for that matter. So why not combine the two. Nobody is forced to take part in the Pride festivities, so why does it annoy you?

Cheers
Mats