Rara
Topic Author

Long Live Holland

Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:31 pm

What a nice story!

Link in German: http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/0,1518,497845,00.html

Apparently, a woman was hospitalized and underwent surgery to remove a cyst from her womb. Doctors were surprised at the cyst turning out to be a small bag of cocaine. The woman admitted having had hidden the bag inside her vagina to smuggle it months ago; it had moved through the vagina walls into her womb.

This being in Holland, the cocaine was given to the police and the woman's identity was not revealed. If she chose, she could go there and reclaim the cocaine; the hospital would confirm it's hers.  Smile On this ground, the hospital said, all interests would be served: the cocaine removed from the market, the woman's live saved and the police informed as much as possible without violating the woman's identity rights.

So nice to see the Dutch always concerned with balance and fairness, and equal treatment to everyone.  Smile If you ever find yourself with a bag of illegal substances inside your body, go to the Netherlands for treatment!
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

bwest

RE: Long Live Holland

Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:07 pm

So nice, now the woman can go back to do some drug trafficking and destroy other peoples lives. Thank god her privacy wasn't violated...  Yeah sure

Maybe the hospital was just thinking that they could cash in on treating future overdose victims...
I love my Airport Job! :)

prebennorholm

Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:18 am

Maybe Dutch women, when traveling abroad, should not be surprised when in the future they have "more than their bags" inspected by drug sniffing dogs?  Wow!
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

L410Turbolet

Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:51 am

Quoting Bwest (Reply 1):
destroy other peoples lives

The ones who really are destroying (their own) lives are the people who choose to take drugs. Their lives, their choice.

767Lover

Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:01 am

And how much of the public's money was spent on this moron's surgery?

AMSGOT

Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:28 am

And how much do you believe of what Der Spiegel tells you everyday?
Please remain seated!

Rara
Topic Author

Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:15 am

Quoting AMSGOT (Reply 5):
And how much do you believe of what Der Spiegel tells you everyday?

As you might have noticed, it's an agency story (dpa) only reprinted at spiegel.de.

If you have reason to believe that the story is in any way untrue, please share.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

deltagator

Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:24 am

Quoting Rara (Thread starter):
The woman admitted having had hidden the bag inside her vagina to smuggle it months ago; it had moved through the vagina walls into her womb.

I'd be careful hopping in the sack with this broad. With muscles that strong down there she just might rip your junk off.  Wink
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

mdodd

Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:13 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 7):
I'd be careful hopping in the sack with this broad. With muscles that strong down there she just might rip your junk off.

Hahaha.

This is a strange story, something that could only come out of the Netherlands.
Awesome place, might I add.

paneuropean

Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:26 am

So nice to see the Dutch always concerned with balance and fairness, and equal treatment to everyone. If you ever find yourself with a bag of illegal substances inside your body, go to the Netherlands for treatment!

So very nice to be so sarcastic about the Dutch...As AMSGOT mentioned, it's in Der Spiegel ! Not the most reliable source. I am glad the Germans have more civilised manners...(like der Spiegel)

Long live Deutschland !

aloges

Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:32 am

Quoting Paneuropean (Reply 9):
Der Spiegel ! Not the most reliable source.

No need to go about bashing the source:

Quoting Rara (Reply 6):
it's an agency story (dpa) only reprinted at spiegel.de.

If you google the name of the doctor you'll find a lot of almost identical reports: http://tinyurl.com/yp92na
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

petertenthije

Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:08 am

Doctors in NL are not allowed to divulge medical information to anyone but the patient and their wife/husband/legal guardians. So the doctor took the wise step in removing the drugs from the market without revealing the identity of the patient. In this case that law may not have worked quite like intended, but I would not want it any other way.
Attamottamotta!

767Lover

Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:16 am

Quoting Petertenthije (Reply 11):
So the doctor took the wise step in removing the drugs from the market without revealing the identity of the patient. In this case that law may not have worked quite like intended, but I would not want it any other way.

I don't understand how enabling her to go reclaim the bag has removed the drugs from the market.

If she chose, she could go there and reclaim the cocaine; the hospital would confirm it's hers. Smile On this ground, the hospital said, all interests would be served: the cocaine removed from the market, the woman's live saved and the police informed as much as possible without violating the woman's identity rights.

ltbewr

Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:36 am

In the USA, sometimes shooting victims have refused to have an operation to remove the bullet remains due to our 5th Amendment rights to not incriminate yourself of a crime and to protect a shooter. I would expect a similar issue exists in Dutch/EC rights laws were involved in this case. The doctor had to do the operation to remove the illegal drugs to protect her health rights, yet protect her right to not self-incriminate herself of a crime. I am quite sure if she ever tried to claim the drugs, she would be arrested very shortly after giving her identity to process the claim. Hopefully she has renounced doing any more drug muleing seeing the risks to her health she put herself through.

yowza

Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:06 am

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 12):

I don't understand how enabling her to go reclaim the bag has removed the drugs from the market.

It is in police custody. She will get nabbed if she goes to claim it. Therefore she will not and so the drugs are off the market.

YOWza