gkirk

Glasgow Airport Terrorist Dies

Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:04 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/6928854.stm

Now, I don't usually say this about people dying, but, absolutely fantastic news!  bigthumbsup 
A shame he didn't get to spend his remaining days in Barlinnie though  mad 
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

LAXspotter

RE: Glasgow Airport Terrorist Dies

Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:20 pm

Let that son of a %$@!# burn in hell. Worthless piece of shit, should have died in the failed attempt in the first place, I know its inhumane but when people like these who give a bad name to Muslims everywhere, tryto harm innocent civilians, this bastard deserved to be shot when he was burning. Good riddance.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

L410Turbolet

Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:24 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Thread starter):
absolutely fantastic news!

Good riddance!!! Fry in hell.

What is not so great is if you imagine how much taxpayer's money - your money - has been wasted trying to keep this bastard alive for a month - most likely in an intensive care unit.

[Edited 2007-08-03 09:41:57]

ME AVN FAN

Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:36 pm

fantastic news!

The prosecutor will be unhappy about the loss of a culprit !
-

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 1):
deserved to be shot when he was burning.

sure, but police usually is interested to have them alive for some questioning, to find it as much as possible. So that he possibly has just lived long enough for them. And as his "companion" apparently is still alive, they can work on that chap and bring that one to court.
-

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 2):
has been wasted trying to keep this bastard alive for a month - most likely in an intensive care unit.

you have to look at that from a more scientific angle. They could check up analysis and methods and medicaments. The next patient may well be somebody innocent who may profit from this case.
-

David L

Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:03 pm

I can't help wondering how the fundamentalists will try to put a spin on this. I don't see how they can reach any conclusion other than "look what he tried to do and look what happened to him". After the weeks of pain and suffering he had to endure, it doesn't seem to me that his god was particularly impressed by his actions.

pawsleykat

Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:13 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 4):
it doesn't seem to me that his god was particularly impressed by his actions.

Allah would definately not be impressed by the act that he committed. No god would.

I think it's a good thing that he's gone.... we're one less terrorist down that way. Although, I read in the Scotsman the other day that he was being kept alive by MI5 because they feared a backlash of attacks from fundamentalist Muslims if they let him die... let's just hope it doesn't happen now.

JG  Yeah sure
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

HAWK21M

Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:22 pm

Has the Family agreed to accept that it was their kid or is the denial still on.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Thorben

Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:03 pm

What has happened in your life to you victims that you talk like that??
France 1789; Eastern Germany 1989; Tunisia 2011; Egypt 2011

RobTrent

Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:56 pm

The Original intention of the two men was to drive the vehicle filled with propane bottles into a very busy check in area and detonate it. This could have potentially killed or injured hundreds of people.
It is a pity that tax payers money was wasted keeping this attempted murderer alive . I have no sympathy for any terrorists.
Personally I would like to see the death penalty restored in the UK for this type of crime simply to avoid the tax payers having to pay for them to be kept in prison for the rest of their lives once convicted.

As far as I am concerned they give up their rights to be treated like humans the second they decide to murder others.

Rant over!
T7 - You know it makes sense !

cumulus

Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:06 pm

Good, I hope it hurt.
What Goes Up Must Come Down, Hopefully In One Piece!

cabso1

Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:59 pm

I love the news of the death, even though it may seem that I am cruel and ruthless. Truth is that I hate Terrorists- who shouldn't? Unfortunately they give the rest of the non-violent dormant Muslims a bad name as well as stir up the innocent into a stupid fight.

The bad part of the news is that the Stupid bugger, fu©king a$shole must've thought that he died a martyr which he most certainly did not by claiming the lives of innocent people. bastards

deltagator

Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:12 pm

Quoting Thorben (Reply 9):

He was a terrorist intent on killing as many folks as he could so who gives a crap if he dies in a painful death himself. Obviously you do and most folks would question your intentions with a statement like that. I suppose you felt Hitler was misunderstood and just needed a hug to get over his issues with the Jews, gays, and other groups he tried to exterminate? The guy was a terrorist plain and simple and any dead terrorist is a good terrorist.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

pilotdude09

Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:13 pm

rotfl 

hahahaha sucker. Its funny because he had to suffer. He ended up carking it instead of hundreds of innocent people if his intentions had of went correctly and he wouldnt have suffered.
Qantas, Still calling Australia Home.........

mika

Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:52 pm

I wish he would have lived so that he could have been interrogated by Jack Bauer. That would have been something!

Nevertheless, great news. One of the cold lagers that i will crack tonight will be in celebration of this poor fool's painful death.

I am a pretty understanding and sympathic person but this sob signed his own death sentence when he took part of this deadly plan, therefore he deserves no respect nor sympathy, from anyone. These people are prepared to kill innocent people regardless of religion and heritage, and they give peaceful muslims everywhere a bad name. In the name of peaceful people everywhere they must be stopped and if it comes to that; eliminated.

legoguy

Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:55 pm

The guy went to the same university as me and even studied the same course as me!  boggled 

I thought he was in a coma so he did not exactly suffer whilst at hospital.
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

PlymSpotter

Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:05 pm

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 16):
The guy went to the same university as me and even studied the same course as me!

That is the most worrying thing about the attack - that the people were not easily impressionable average joes, they were supposedly well educated, sensible and responsible young men. Obviously not  Yeah sure

At least he's dead now, if he had that many injuries and was in a coma he probably wouldn't have been much more than an elaborately shaped jelly if he had survived.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

David L

Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:07 pm

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 16):
I thought he was in a coma so he did not exactly suffer whilst at hospital.

True but I meant "suffer" in its broadest sense. He received burns to 90% of his body, he was seen being dragged out along the pavement, his plan having failed, and he spent his last weeks in a coma. Even if there is an afterlife, I'm not sure how he'd be able to look back with pride, only humiliation.

baroque

Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:30 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 3):
sure, but police usually is interested to have them alive for some questioning, to find it as much as possible. So that he possibly has just lived long enough for them. And as his "companion" apparently is still alive, they can work on that chap and bring that one to court.

There you go MAF, pragmatic to the end.  Smile
Interesting we have few supporters but at least some. I am sure he was more useful burned and all in the weeks after the attempt than he has been in all the time before his attempt. I think we can be sure the Scottish polis were equally pragmatic and took as much advantage from their prize as they could.

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 8):
L410Turbolet From Czech Republic,

checkmark   checkmark 

aloges

Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:39 pm

I can't say I'm sorry to see a terrorist die... but I'd have liked it had he been, as it were, available for further questioning. If there is an afterlife, I hope his version of deity sends him in whatever cooler is available.  devil 

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 13):
I suppose you felt Hitler was misunderstood and just needed a hug

That was fast: Godwin's Law
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

baroque

Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:47 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 20):

Thanks Aloges, indebted as ever to your scholarship and good sense. I did not know this phenomenon had been formalized, but a.net alone would have been enough to cause the formulation of that law.

I suspect the police are not going to tell us if they did manage to get anything out of him, but when arrested he was certainly not comatose!! So your (and my) hopes may have had some realisation.

deltagator

Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:33 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 18):

You caught me there. But in my defense Thorben is making the terrorist who died out to be some sort of victim in his words. He is also questioning how effed up the past of the posters must be to have hoped he (the terrorist) died a painful death. I threw in the Hitler reference because Thorben flies the German flag and wanted to give an example that is part of his background. Let me just go ahead and change it to Stalin or Pol Pot...will that make you all happy? The theme stays the same regardless of the name of the dictator or terrorist used.

At the end of the day hoping that someone who was hell bent on killing folks that day at the airport dies a nice peaceful death is pretty lame. He could have cared less about human lives that day so why should we give two rat's asses about his? I'll give you a hint....we shouldn't.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

GDB

Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:43 am

Not to be mourned of course, but what is it with all the blood-lust on here?
A live, captured terrorist has the potential to squeal, thus providing possible vital intelligence.
I think, a wise way to spend taxpayer's money (when did everything get so petty ) ?)
Anyway, ever heard of the Hippocratic Oath? (No, nothing to do with a large water dwelling African animal).

That he was incompetent, makes no odds-a 'cleanskin' might more likely talk too.

The plus points are that the rest of them seem to have been rounded up.

Is The Scotsman that lame a paper? Are there not enough ludicrous conspiracy theories around?

HAWK21M

Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:48 am

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 14):
The guy went to the same university as me and even studied the same course as me!

Thats the Worry.Most of these Terrorists seem very well educated & difficult to Identify.
regds
MEL

deltagator

Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:51 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 21):
A live, captured terrorist has the potential to squeal, thus providing possible vital intelligence.

Very true but with burns over 90% of his body I don't think this peckerwood was doing much in the way of talking since the attack.

Quoting GDB (Reply 21):

I think just human nature in that we don't have a lot of compassion for folks who are determined to kill us and find it to be poetic justice when they die of their own accord and stupidity.

aloges

Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:52 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 20):
But in my defense Thorben is making the terrorist who died out to be some sort of victim in his words.

I can't really find that anywhere in his one-liner:

Quoting Thorben (Reply 7):

I'd like to know what "you victims" is supposed to mean though.

He is also questioning how effed up the past of the posters must be

Can't find that either - the question was "what has happened", which can be anything really. Not something that messes someone up entirely.

to have hoped he (the terrorist) died a painful death.

Had I said that, it would have been because I consider it a no-no to wish that much ill on anyone. That's a different issue, but I don't think the post was made in an attempt at justifying the attacker's actions.

I threw in the Hitler reference because Thorben flies the German flag and wanted to give an example that is part of his background.

For all we know, his ancestors might have been opponents of Hitler. And anyway, the "Third Reich" ceased to exist in 1945 - would you be fine with being endlessly associated personally with something that happened generations before you were born? I can tell you it's rather tiring.
Nazi Germany is as much part of a German 20-something's personal background as it is part of an American 20-something; probably the former is much more educated on it. National background is an entirely different animal, but I'm sure you'd quickly find planeloads of people agreeing with "may he rot in hell" in Germany, too. So the national background would be beside the point.

Let me just go ahead and change it to Stalin or Pol Pot...will that make you all happy?

Hm... it's not about making anyone happy.  Wink

The theme stays the same regardless of the name of the dictator or terrorist used.

But there's the difference: dictators terrorise and terrorists dictate, but they are very different from each other. Terrorists aim to "destroy the system" whereas dictators depend on one.

At the end of the day hoping that someone who was hell bent on killing folks that day at the airport dies a nice peaceful death is pretty lame.

It is indeed.

He could have cared less about human lives that day so why should we give two rat's asses about his? I'll give you a hint....we shouldn't.

Oh, no need for that effort.  Wink I just worded it differently.

I can't say I'm sorry to see a terrorist die.

deltagator

Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:13 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 24):
I can't really find that anywhere in his one-liner:

I may have read that just a bit wrong. I still stand by my idea that he is being compassionate towards someone who has no compassion for anyone and tried to kill multiple people by the way he worded his question.

Can't find that either - the question was "what has happened", which can be anything really. Not something that messes someone up entirely.

I take the question of what has happened to be some sort of life changing event in Thorben's mind that these posters are so screwed up in the head that they would wish a painful death upon someone. With that I point back to any dead terrorist, regardless of how they died, is a good one.

GDB

Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:14 am

Delta Gator, I do understand the emotion, and won't deny I feel it a bit too.
But, though in this case, he wasn't ever likely to get the chance to talk, the point still remains.
Let the blood lust stay with those who attempted this attack, though I do see how there was a degree of poetic justice, considering what he planned to do, in the manner of his demise.

But the best aspect of this failed attack, is how one of them (this one?), got twatted by a Baggage Handler!
I do agree also, that the 'believers' are due an explanation from their guiding Deity.

ME AVN FAN

Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:41 am

some sort of victim

this is what he definitely was NOT. But some posts took so much pleasure and exhibited such extreme emotions that it exceeds appropriate levels. True, many bottles of champagne got opened when Stalin died, the difference between country-leaders like Stalin and caught and imprisoned terrorists is that "country-leaders" continuously terrorize people while terrorists who are caught are out of business.
-

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 22):
Thats the Worry.Most of these Terrorists seem very well educated & difficult to Identify.

-
too well educated perhaps ? Ever noticed that among terrorists, doctors, lawyers, university people, engineers and thelike are heavily "over-represented" while commercial employees, office-cleaners, taxi-drivers, truck-drivers, train-drivers, etc are rather under-represented  Yeah sure
-

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 25):
With that I point back to any dead terrorist, regardless of how they died, is a good one.

again a rather emotional approach. Terrorists are criminals, and as any criminal, even the most horrible ones, subject to a lawful state and legal procedure in the framework of the law. Tehre is no room for "that person would have deserved to get tarred and feathered and quartered and hanged upside down and be burned alive and finally be drowned" etc. The lawful community should not descend to the level of criminals.
-

David L

Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:48 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 21):

Yes, fair points. I'd agree that detaining him in a fit state to talk would have been ideal but I just think the actual outcome was prefereble to a quick, spectacular "martyr's" death. I'd hope very few fanatics would look on this outcome as something they'd aspire to.

I hope his version of deity sends him in whatever cooler is available.

I suspect a "hotter" would be more likely.

PAHS200

Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:50 am

can't help wondering how the fundamentalists will try to put a spin on this.

the police killed him

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 22):

you can say what you want about the terrorists, but the truth is that they are smart at what they do, unlike most other people that rob a bank, break in cars. terrorists know what there doing.

but how one would be happier watching other people die is unknown to me

have a fun life in hell

michael

bh4007

Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:10 am

What a terrible attitude some people on this thread have.

OB1504

Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:23 am

Let that son of a %$@!# burn in hell.

Good riddance!!! Fry in hell.

Good thing he had some practice for life in Hell before he went.  stirthepot 

halls120

Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:15 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 3):
Quoting Gkirk (Thread starter):fantastic news!

Wrong. No surprise there, of course.

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 23):
Quoting GDB (Reply 21):A live, captured terrorist has the potential to squeal, thus providing possible vital intelligence.
Very true but with burns over 90% of his body I don't think this peckerwood was doing much in the way of talking since the attack.

Both comments are accurate. Flipping a scumbag is almost always worthwhile, but in this case, I doubt the a-hole was going to be of much use.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

scbriml

Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:30 am

I can't help wondering how the fundamentalists will try to put a spin on this. I don't see how they can reach any conclusion other than "look what he tried to do and look what happened to him".

Far from it. It will simply be passed off as "Allah's will", in much the way that any mildly tricky question put to an ardent Christian provokes the "God moves in mysterious ways..." response.  sarcastic 

The failure of the mission and the death of one of the terrorist will not modify the hackneyed views of the fundamentalists. If anything, it might well be used as some form of reverse psychology - the next terrorist has to be even more dedicated before Allah will allow him to succeed and enter the kingdom of Heaven.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

baroque

Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:02 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 21):

It offends that not only is the blood lust so manifestly on show, but it is rather dumb lust too, in as much as a talking terrorist is far better than a dead one. I don't suppose many have followed the tracking down of about 50 (could be more) Jemaah Islamiyah terrorists in Indonesia. The critical link there is one who has co-operated with the police. It appears that his information has allowed the police to raid three major residences being used for bomb making that I know about.
Information is priceless in this "game"/

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 33):
Far from it. It will simply be passed off as "Allah's will", in much the way that any mildly tricky question put to an ardent Christian provokes the "God moves in mysterious ways..." response.

Sadly, all too true Schriml.

I fear as things stand, the main lesson that Terry Wrist and his friends will learn is they need to be a bit more professional the next time. Not a nice thought.

A real live repentant Terry Wrist, might just start to cause a few to think again.

David L

Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:20 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 33):
It will simply be passed off as "Allah's will",

Of course, but that will always be the case, whatever happens.

I'm not saying this outcome will end terrorism, I'm simply saying that it was much less "glorious" than it could have been. A more "glorious" outcome could have been more inspiring.

ltbewr

Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:11 pm

I just wished he had suffered with obscene pain alive longer and not in a coma wasting the taxpayers money with his medical care. At least some justice has happened to this terrorist and the UK government won't have to try him. I hope his accomplices who survived are properly tried and convicted and end up facing lifetime without parole sentences. Maybe they could send them to Saudi Arabia for a Shira 'tiral' for crimes against Islam and get stoned to death.

jcs17

Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:54 pm

It was pretty much a foregone conclusion that this dope was going to die. Even people as young as he simply cannot survive with 2nd/3rd degree burns over such a vast percentage of their body. It's a shame the British taxpayers through NHS had to pay for this a-hole's life support.

My big question is whether the Jeep Liberty he was driving was Trail Rated. I mean, you cannot play jihad with anything less than "Trail Rated." I smell lawsuit...
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

deltagator

Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:56 pm

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 37):
My big question is whether the Jeep Liberty he was driving was Trail Rated. I mean, you cannot play jihad with anything less than "Trail Rated." I smell lawsuit...

Funny! And yes, the Jeep Liberty is Trail Rated.

HAWK21M

Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:11 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 27):
too well educated perhaps

At Work one of the Discussion was.If Doctors & Engineers can be convinced to become Terrorists.What stops them from involving Pilots.
regds
MEL

Thorben

Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:16 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 11):
He was a terrorist intent on killing as many folks as he could so who gives a crap if he dies in a painful death himself. Obviously you do and most folks would question your intentions with a statement like that.

I am never happy to see a person die. And I oppose death penalty. The whole issue is just sad to me, sad that people are doing things like that, and that there is so much hate and violence.

Hitler has nothing to do with that, you must be a very poor panelist to come up with him.

I'd like to know what "you victims" is supposed to mean though.

Victims in the sense that somebody stole their candy when they were a kid, or they had a strict father, or they are ugly etc. Now they feel they need to punish everybody and have a lot of schadenfreude towards others to compensate.
France 1789; Eastern Germany 1989; Tunisia 2011; Egypt 2011

ME AVN FAN

Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:36 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 32):
--
Wrong. No surprise there, of course.

-
A) no, I do NOT believe that it is wrong to assume that the prosecutors prefer a surviving and potentially talking terrorist over one who has died
-
B) I do not see what is no surprise to you
-

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 39):
one of the Discussion was.If Doctors & Engineers can be convinced to become Terrorists.What stops them from involving Pilots.

-
pilots fall under the same category as doctors and engineers, which means highly sophisticated and qualified specialists on a relatively high level.
 Yeah sure  Confused

deltagator

Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:37 pm

Quoting Thorben (Reply 40):
I am never happy to see a person die.

And I'm never happy to see innocent lives lost to terrorism. A terrorist though I could care less about.

And I oppose death penalty.

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Nobody was talking about the death penalty so please don't try to spin it in that direction.

The whole issue is just sad to me, sad that people are doing things like that, and that there is so much hate and violence.

Hate and violence that is perpetuated by the terrorists out there hell bent on destroying the way of life we have. Sorry but the only way to deal with these folks is violence. It's the only thing they understand and I have no problems doing whatever is necessary to wipe them off the face of this earth. You can be a peace loving person all you want but unfortunately it doesn't work in today's world. You have to be willing to get your hands dirty once in a while.

Hitler has nothing to do with that, you must be a very poor panelist to come up with him.

And you must be a poor panelist to think that any of us are going to care about a dead terrorist. I explained why I used Hitler as an example to you but I suppose since it doesn't fit your argument you just overlook it. Typical.

yanksn4

Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:11 am

Now, I don't usually say this about people dying, but, absolutely fantastic news

What? How dare you exhibit any kind of joy at the passing of such a community leader as this. This guy should be held up to society as someone that fought for his community's civil rights. All he wanted to do was express the injustice and misunderstanding that all peaceful muslims experience from the cruel western society. In memorium of him, a country-wide vigil should take place in addittion to forced sensativity courses for all non-muslims.  Big grin
2013 Airports: EWR, JFK, LGA, LIS, AGP, DEN, GIG, RGN, BKK, LHR, FRA, LAX, SYD, PER, MEL, MCO, MIA, PEK, IAH

GDB

Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:15 am

Still all this about 'wasting tax payers money' on trying to keep him alive, but that is what doctors have to do, no matter who it is.

We never want to even start down the road of 'who deserves care', because think where we one day, might end up.
Never mind terrorists, criminals generally, it would start a process that most rational people would soon regret.

aloges

Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:32 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 44):
Still all this about 'wasting tax payers money' on trying to keep him alive, but that is what doctors have to do, no matter who it is.

We never want to even start down the road of 'who deserves care', because think where we one day, might end up.
Never mind terrorists, criminals generally, it would start a process that most rational people would soon regret.

checkmark  Amen. On one hand, the stories of WW2 doctors treating enemy soldiers are reported as hero stories, but on the other hand care for one single enemy fighter in a well-equipped hospital during general peacetime is allegedly a "waste of taxpayers' money".  sarcastic 

DIJKKIJK

Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:44 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 21):
I think, a wise way to spend taxpayer's money (when did everything get so petty ) ?)

I agree. I would have preferred that he spent the rest of his life in a maximum security prison getting buggeered by the likes of himself every passing day, regretting what he did for the rest of his life.

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 27):
too well educated perhaps ? Ever noticed that among terrorists, doctors, lawyers, university people, engineers and thelike are heavily "over-represented" while commercial employees, office-cleaners, taxi-drivers, truck-drivers, train-drivers, etc are rather under-represented

Who says ? Richard reid was almost an illiterate bint, it didn't stop him from wanting to blow up an airliner. Most of the 9/11 conspirators had no education beyond high school. It has nothing to do with the amount of education one has had, but has everything to do with how indoctrinated one can get. Besides, there are people with university degrees who are complete idiots in the real world, and can be brainwashed easily.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

ME AVN FAN

Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:46 pm

Quoting DIJKKIJK (Reply 46):
Most of the 9/11 conspirators

Most of them were students or teachers, most of the culprits in Britain of recent years were university educated people as well. Mr Reid was the strange case.
-

Quoting DIJKKIJK (Reply 46):
there are people with university degrees who are complete idiots in the real world, and can be brainwashed easily.

checkmark   checkmark 

baroque

Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:11 pm

I agree that bringing Hitler into the discussion was pointless in relation to these misguided characters. However, there IS a point to be made. It would have been worth while understanding Hitler a great deal better than we did. Not to give him a hug (how to reduce a sensible discussion to total rubbish) but to predict better what he would do next. There are many points where you could suggest that understanding Hitler would have been advantageous. However, I suggest two issues, one where he may well have been understood and the other where he was not.
1. The decoy army that was going to land in 1944 in the Pas de Calais may well have been based on an understanding that would be what Hitler feared more than a landing in Normandy.
2. The unconditional surrender demand from Roosevelt (not from Churchill be it noted) shows a lack of understanding what Hitler would do with that in terms of motivation to follow him to perdition. Not a clever move.
If we do not keep the terrorists alive so we can talk to them, we will never get a clue as to what makes them tick - pun intended!

Quoting Aloges (Reply 45):
Quoting GDB (Reply 44):

checkmark Amen. On one hand, the stories of WW2 doctors treating enemy soldiers are reported as hero stories, but on the other hand care for one single enemy fighter in a well-equipped hospital during general peacetime is allegedly a "waste of taxpayers' money".

A good point. In terms of general morality, it begins to look as if the west holds up better in a war, than in a conflict that is essentially occurring during peacetime.

In terms of education levels of terrorists, Indonesia seems to have been snaffling a better selection of terrorists than most countries. What their arrests and gun fights show is that the main men are very well educated, extremely clever and exceptionally well organized. They seem able to inspire a great clan of much less well educated foot soldiers. That pattern might not apply generally, but it probably does. They have also shown that a turned Terry Wrist is worth a million times more than a dead one!!

GDB

Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:57 am

Most of the Sept 11th terrorists, the 'muscle', not the pilots, were ill educated boys from their respective backwoods (backsands does not read right!).
Which is why they arrived near to the time, they'd maybe never have held up to living in the US, for more than a short period, without possibly attracting attention of any kind, most could not speak English for a start.