The new, official "seven wonders of the world" are as follows:

1). The Great Wall of China.
2). Petra, Jordan.
3). Christ the Redeemer, Brazil.
4). Machu Picchu, Peru.
5). Chichen Itza, Mexico.
6). Roman Colosseum, Italy.
7). Taj Mahal, India.

Firstly, I think two of them should not be on there, and should be replaced by two that should definately be on there:
Christ the redeemer and Taj Mahal should be replaced with the Pyramids of Giza, Egypt and the Heads on Easter Island.
Christ the redeemer and Taj Mahal are too recent, there is nothing ambiguous about them at all, there is no debate.
Two others that should really make up the 9 wonders of the world, are the Ankor wat in Cambodia, and the Acropolis in Greece.
Are there any wonders that you think should be placed on the list apart from these, or any you disagree with?

thoughts...

[Edited 2007-08-07 14:51:19]

[Edited 2007-08-07 14:51:43]
Work Hard/Fly Right.

moo

RE: New 7 Wonders Of World List Should Be Changed

Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:03 pm

Stone Henge and/or Avebury.

CJAContinental
Topic Author

Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:17 pm

Quoting Moo (Reply 1):
Stone Henge and/or Avebury.

Yeah, actually thats a really good one. It's ancient, and its a wonder, lots of ambiguity; how exactly was it constructed, what was it used for?

I think the wonders that should qualify are those that are generally wonders, ones that cannot be answered easily.
Work Hard/Fly Right.

cornish

Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:27 pm

Quoting CJAContinental (Thread starter):
should be replaced with the Pyramids of Giza,

the pyramids deliberately weren't included as they were one of the original seven wonders. This list were suppose to find 7 entirely new ones.

Quoting CJAContinental (Reply 2):
think the wonders that should qualify are those that are generally wonders,

doesn't the Taj not qualify as one of those, just because it is only 350 years old or so.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

RJdxer

Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:31 pm

Quoting CJAContinental (Thread starter):
The new, official "seven wonders of the world" are as follows:

If you look at the ancient 7 wonders the Pyramid at Giza is there, and also gets an honorable mention in the New 7 wonders. The ancient wonders included the colossus of Rhodes and the light house at Alexandria which would, engineering wise, be on par with Christ the Redeemer and the Taj Mahal. There will always be debate over what they should be. Why not include the two gorges damn in China or the effiel tower which are engineering marvels of their time? The heads of easter island and stonehenge properly belong under the title, "seven mystries of the world".
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

PlymSpotter

Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:32 pm

Whichever ones were chosen, you are never going to please everyone. It's a fair selection, especially Petra and Machu Picchu, Stonehenge would have been a fair addition to the list, perhaps over some of the others, but that's just my opinion.

Dan 

[Edited 2007-08-07 15:33:22]
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

vc10

Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:33 pm

I find it hard to understand how the Panama Canal is not included. After having transited the canal and read how difficult it was to build, it will always be, to me anyway, one of the wonders of the world.

littlevc10

Banco

Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:35 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 5):
Stonehenge would have been a fair addition to the list, perhaps over some of the others, but that's just my opinion.

Maybe. But I've always thought that impressive though Stonehenge is, it pales into insignificance compared to something like the Great Pyramid, or the Great Wall of China.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.