OB1504
Topic Author

Second Collapse In Less Than 7 Days: Utah Mine

Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:11 am

I woke up this morning, turned the TV on to CNN like I always do, and when I heard the words "mine collapse", I prayed they were just showing some archive footage of Sago or another past disaster:

Mine rescue will take three days, operators say

Although the article doesn't mention it, I recall hearing something on American Morning earlier that the miners had enough supplies to last them 5 days. With luck, they'll all come out unharmed.

SlamClick

RE: Second Collapse In Less Than 7 Days: Utah Mine

Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:33 am

They would easily survive five days without food, even without water. Oxygen is going to be the problem.

BTW I don't think this is even the same sort of event as the MSP bridge collapse. One can hardly expect the same order of safety working in an underground coal mine as simply driving across a bridge on an interstate highway.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

airfoilsguy

Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:48 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 1):
BTW I don't think this is even the same sort of event as the MSP bridge collapse.

Is that what he means by "second"? Talk about stretching it.

Murray said Tuesday he was certain an earthquake caused the collapse, and he ripped those who suggested otherwise as foes of the American coal industry.

This guy sounds like an A-net member.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

diamond

Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:58 pm

They dug a hole a few inches wide and finally reached the area where they believed the miners were located. They finally reached the area around 2am EST. They lowered a camera and microphone into the cavity.

Good news / bad news.

The air quality is very good. / There is no sound or sign of the miners, yet.

"No sign of trapped miners as drill reaches chamber"

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/10/mine.utah/index.html
Blank.