DL777LAX
Topic Author

The New IMacs Have Been Revealed

Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:46 am

http://www.apple.com/imac/.

Basically, they discontinued the 17inch, gave it faster processors, nvidia graphics card, and a base of 250 gigs of storage and 2 gigs memory. Oh, and its thinner too.
Blindly following anything is bad, unless of course your blind and your following a guide dog.

Klaus

RE: The New IMacs Have Been Revealed

Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:54 am

Quoting DL777LAX (Thread starter):
Basically, they discontinued the 17inch, gave it faster processors, nvidia graphics card, and a base of 250 gigs of storage and 2 gigs memory. Oh, and its thinner too.

The graphics processors are from ATI.

And for me one of its best features is the ultra-thin new keyboard with (finally) two USB 2.0 outputs!  bigthumbsup 

I think I'll get one of those to replace my somewhat used-up keyboard for the PowerMac G5...

By the way: The Mac mini has now received an upgrade to Core 2 (64 bit) CPUs as well. It was high time for that, too!

swiftski

Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:04 am

Airport Extreme also got an update, .Mac, iLife, iWork, regular bt kb & mouse available as standalone too with the redesign...

swiftski

Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:06 am

not mouse, sorry. too used to writing kb & mouse in the same sentence!

rabenschlag

Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:01 am

Is that a decent graphics card they are providing?
Are they competetively priced? What would I have to pay for an equivalently potent Dell Computer?
How many colors can be displayed by the screen at max resolution?

Cheers,

r.

flynavy

Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:06 am

Wow, what a cool redesign! I've been considering buying a desktop Mac for a while. I currently use a MacBook. Looks like I've got a winner! I'll definitely have to pick up one of these!
Change is: one airline, six continents!

rjpieces

Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:10 am

What color is it? It looks to be some kind of blend, no?
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

qr332

Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:15 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 6):
What color is it? It looks to be some kind of blend, no?

Its an aluminum finish, like the MacBook Pros.
"The greatest threat to knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

swiftski

Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:45 am

Quoting QR332 (Reply 7):

With glass, glossy screen.

AC773

Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:40 am

I never thought I'd say this about an Apple product, but...

Am I the only one who thinks this new iMac is ugly? It looks like the bastard child of a G5 iMac and a Dell monitor - gaudy applications of silver and black applied over the signature iMac shape. For good measure, they added an inconceivable giant black band around the monitor and a keyboard with white keys to clash with the whole package.  yuck 

My second gripe is the glossy screen - it's impossible to calibrate! Totally useless for photo or video editing.

On the upside, I was very satisfied with the hardware improvements. If you like the look, this is a value-packed machine.  thumbsup 
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

sandrozrh

Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:53 am

Apple's shitty website just made my browser crash, is that an omen?  scratchchin   stirthepot 

airwave

Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:39 am

Quoting DL777LAX (Thread starter):
Oh, and its thinner too.

Is that for the case by itself, then? The comparative dimensions I've seen between the previous generation and this one have been equal for depth.

Quoting QR332 (Reply 7):

...and the Mac Pro and Mac mini--come to think of it, this leaves the MacBook as the last remaining plastic-clad computer. How long will that last, I wonder?

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 8):
With glass, glossy screen.

Quoting AC773 (Reply 9):
Totally useless for photo or video editing.

Odd to see you write that, since the line I've been seeing is that glossy displays make blacks richer and colors more vibrant (or somesuch) making glossy displays ideal for photo or video editing... Go figure...

Now I've only to decide which Apple system to buy for myself (seeing as my ThinkPad is on the outs and I want nothing to do with Vista). I was leaning MacBook, but I wouldn't mind the new iMac at all. I guess it's gonna come down to screen size preference and the MacBook's integrated graphics vs. the iMac's immobility. Hmmm. Any thoughts?
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

DL777LAX
Topic Author

Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:42 am

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 10):
Apple's shitty website just made my browser crash, is that an omen?

No, its probably just because of a lot of excessive visitors to the website is straining the servers.
Blindly following anything is bad, unless of course your blind and your following a guide dog.

Klaus

Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:49 am

Quoting Airwave (Reply 11):
Now I've only to decide which Apple system to buy for myself (seeing as my ThinkPad is on the outs and I want nothing to do with Vista). I was leaning MacBook, but I wouldn't mind the new iMac at all. I guess it's gonna come down to screen size preference and the MacBook's integrated graphics vs. the iMac's immobility. Hmmm. Any thoughts?

Well, there's also the MacBook Pro... it's basically the iMac in a portable version...

airwave

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:11 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 13):
Well, there's also the MacBook Pro...

You're absolutely right; haven't forgotten them at all. I'm just worried about it breaking my bank; the only MBP I'd be able to consider is the entry-level 15" model. And that'd be a bit of a stretch, but perhaps it'll be worth it over the four-year term of ownership--opportunity cost and all that...

Klaus

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:13 am

Quoting Airwave (Reply 14):
You're absolutely right; haven't forgotten them at all. I'm just worried about it breaking my bank; the only MBP I'd be able to consider is the entry-level 15" model. And that'd be a bit of a stretch, but perhaps it'll be worth it over the four-year term of ownership--opportunity cost and all that...

Could well be. It all depends on how important portability is for you and will likely be through your usage over the years...

AC773

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:18 am

Quoting Airwave (Reply 11):

Odd to see you write that, since the line I've been seeing is that glossy displays make blacks richer and colors more vibrant (or somesuch) making glossy displays ideal for photo or video editing... Go figure...

Glossy displays do make blacks deeper and colors more vibrant, but those qualities are exaggerated. It's very nice to look at, but it's not very accurate. Color accuracy is vital for photo and video editing, and only a calibrated, matte-surfaced, high quality display will bring you that.

In much the same way, I have a couple pairs of headphones that make my music sound really fun and amazing. The thing is, I wouldn't dream of using them for mixing or content creation - I have a pair of studio reference headphones with a totally flat frequency response just for that purpose.

Anecdotally, glare and eyestrain are two other annoying pitfalls of glossy displays that I forgot to mention.

airwave

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:31 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 15):
Could well be. It all depends on how important portability is for you and will likely be through your usage over the years...

Exactly! I've been hemming and hawing on that very point more than any other. I mean, looking back, my ThinkPad has seen plenty of travel (and abuse)--but forward, I can't tell. I haven't moved my ThinkPad from my desk in ages--whether that's because of age or no need/desire, it's a toss up.

airwave

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:38 am

Quoting AC773 (Reply 16):
Glossy displays do make blacks deeper and colors more vibrant, but those qualities are exaggerated. It's very nice to look at, but it's not very accurate.

Ahh, see that's the point I've not seen mentioned--the lack of accuracy. Makes sense.

Color accuracy is vital for photo and video editing, and only a calibrated, matte-surfaced, high quality display will bring you that.

Believe you me, I understand the importance of accuracy and calibration. I've worked for both a newspaper and a magazine company, and I think the IT guys spent about as much time on this as on any other issue. I, at least, was intelligent enough to actually learn how to calibrate my own monitors so I needn't bother (or wait on) the techies.

Anecdotally, glare and eyestrain are two other annoying pitfalls of glossy displays that I forgot to mention.

Eyestrain because of glare? There isn't much glare to be had where my desk is positioned at home, so I guess I'd be okay.

FriendlySkies

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:43 am

Quoting AC773 (Reply 9):
Am I the only one who thinks this new iMac is ugly?

I hate the new look...reminds me of a raccoon or something. The keyboard is cool (even though it's just a laptop keyboard in an external enclosure) and the new specs are nice, but I'd rather see it in all black or all white.

Anyway, doesn't matter to me...I'll be installing Vista in a few hours. Suck that Mac lovers!  Silly  devil 

hawaiian717

Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:11 pm

Quoting FriendlySkies (Reply 19):
Anyway, doesn't matter to me...I'll be installing Vista for a few hours.

Fixed that for you. :P

Have fun with that. I know a couple people that have Vista (I played with the betas, but have no plans to purchase it), have not been happy with it. Be sure to keep your XP CD's around.

MCOflyer

Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:26 pm

I love it. When replace my dell, i'll look at this. Thanks man. I hope they offer a payment plan and discounts to college students.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

TheRedBaron

Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:00 pm

Just read the tech manual on the new IMAC, heck the glass has to be removed by suction cups!! and its not tempered, anyways I have already ordered mine! 24 inch to replace my Imac current (old) Imac 24 inch....
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

airwave

Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:25 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 21):
I hope they offer a payment plan and discounts to college students.

They do. You can get a monthly payment plan if you sign up for their credit card and Apple has an education store, so you can get a discount through that, as long as your college or university participates (and it seems that most do).

swiftski

Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:51 pm

Quoting Airwave (Reply 23):
They do. You can get a monthly payment plan if you sign up for their credit card and Apple has an education store, so you can get a discount through that, as long as your college or university participates (and it seems that most do).

The card is actually from Juniper, a division of Barclays.

Students in the US get a free iPod nano when purchasing. In the UK credit is through MBNA, and education discounts are available in store and online. Highest discount goes to University students.

Klaus

Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:02 pm

Quoting Airwave (Reply 17):
Exactly! I've been hemming and hawing on that very point more than any other. I mean, looking back, my ThinkPad has seen plenty of travel (and abuse)--but forward, I can't tell. I haven't moved my ThinkPad from my desk in ages--whether that's because of age or no need/desire, it's a toss up.

The only thing holding me back from completely switching to my MacBook Pro away from my PowerMac G5 is basically that the MBP can't support two external monitors right away, so my two 20" ones couldn't be connected simultaneously... But maybe a 30" one will take care of that in time - it has more pixels than both of them combined, and then there's that integrated 17" screen for palettes and stuff...

If you're in doubt, you're probably better off with a MacBook Pro on a stand at home with an external keyboard and a second monitor connected. That's already a really tasty setup which leaves little if anything to be desired.

Anyway, doesn't matter to me...I'll be installing Vista in a few hours. Suck that Mac lovers!

Apart from pity and compassion, why should I care that you're about to poke your own eyes out?  eyebrow 

ManuCH
Crew

Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:47 pm

Very nice design! Unfortunately the time hasn't arrived yet to replace my November 2006 iMac 20", but I have ordered the new keyboard already. Hopefully it will have better keys than the old one...
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

ThePRGuy

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:31 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 1):
And for me one of its best features is the ultra-thin new keyboard with (finally) two USB 2.0 outputs! bigthumbsup

True, the 2.0 output is a great addition, but the keyboard is awful awful AWFUL.

I hate the macbook keyboards, there was nothing wrong with the previous keyboard for gods sake.

Other than that, 20" middle model coming my way shortly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alex
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

Klaus

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:55 pm

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 27):
I hate the macbook keyboards

Why? Apart from looking unusually, the key caps are identical to conventional keyboards. It just has somewhat less mass and key depression is shallower.

I only tried it for a short time, but I'd definitely prefer it over the one in my MacBook Pro.

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 27):
there was nothing wrong with the previous keyboard for gods sake.

I'm typing on that one, and I've always found it thicker than I'd like it to be. Other than that it's not bad at all, but I think I'll get the new one as a replacement.

Dougloid

Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:00 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 25):
Anyway, doesn't matter to me...I'll be installing Vista in a few hours. Suck that Mac lovers!

Apart from pity and compassion, why should I care that you're about to poke your own eyes out?

Klaus, isn't it fair to say that Friendly Skies may be attempting to install Vista in a few hours? I don't think poking one's eyes out is analogous-it's more like rubbing shit in your hair.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

Klaus

Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:04 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 29):
Klaus, isn't it fair to say that Friendly Skies may be attempting to install Vista in a few hours? I don't think poking one's eyes out is analogous-it's more like rubbing shit in your hair.

One could look at it that way... Big grin

airwave

Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:23 am

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 24):
The card is actually from Juniper, a division of Barclays.

You're correct. It is an Apple-branded card though and earns your Apple-relevant rewards (such as iTunes points).

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 24):
Students in the US get a free iPod nano when purchasing.

Only though 16 Sept., though--it's their back-to-school promotion. Worth noting, too, is that if you want an iPod, but not a Nano, you can apply the $199 rebate towards the purchase of a higher priced iPod. After that, you'll still be able to purchase hardware at discounted prices all year 'round.

But maybe a 30" one will take care of that in time - it has more pixels than both of them combined, and then there's that integrated 17" screen for palettes and stuff..

drool  That must be amazing. I'm guessing you're using (a) Cinema Display/s?

you're probably better off with a MacBook Pro on a stand at home with an external keyboard and a second monitor connected. That's already a really tasty setup which leaves little if anything to be desired.

Good point. Actually, that would be a tasty setup. I like your thinking, haha.  Smile

DL777LAX
Topic Author

Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:07 am

Does anyone else think the white plastic mouse looks out of place next to the brushed aluminum keyboard/iMac? And also how fat it is next to everything else in the set up?

Klaus

Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:19 am

Quoting Airwave (Reply 31):
That must be amazing.

Oh yes... I've visited a friend once who owns such a 30" beast (albeit connected to a rubbish Dell rattle-box). I simply plugged it into the sleeping MacBook Pro and after waking it up again the screen was used without a hitch. It took me quite a bit of restraint to leave the monitor behind on his desk...! Big grin

I'm guessing you're using (a) Cinema Display/s?

No, since I prefer a good vertical resolution I've got two 4:3 Philips ones at 1600*1200 each. Portrait mode may be good for video, but source code editing is better in 4:3

Quoting DL777LAX (Reply 32):
Does anyone else think the white plastic mouse looks out of place next to the brushed aluminum keyboard/iMac?

Not really... the keyboard still has white key caps, doesn't it?

Quoting DL777LAX (Reply 32):
And also how fat it is next to everything else in the set up?

Unfortunately, human hands have resisted any attempts of miniaturization so far...

MCOflyer

Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:43 am

Quoting Airwave (Reply 23):

Cool, I will probably get their I book or lap top version. I hope its better than my previous dell.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

Klaus

Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:40 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 33):
Portrait mode

That should have been widescreen mode, of course.

AC773

Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:45 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 33):
Not really... the keyboard still has white key caps, doesn't it?

Yeah, but the iMac is jet black and aluminum. And it ships with white cables that plug into that black rear panel. Many people seem to like it, but it looks worse every time I look at it.

At least Dell's design is unified.  mischievous 

Quoting Klaus (Reply 35):
That should have been widescreen mode, of course.

Or landscape mode; if you really want to get into details.  silly 

swiftski

Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:37 am

Only though 16 Sept., though--it's their back-to-school promotion. Worth noting, too, is that if you want an iPod, but not a Nano, you can apply the $199 rebate towards the purchase of a higher priced iPod. After that, you'll still be able to purchase hardware at discounted prices all year 'round.

I work for them, I'm just dropping hints to help people out. You're right too.

I've used both 20 and 24 today and they are stunning. Gorgeous. Heavy.

airwave

Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:42 pm

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 37):
I work for them

Alright!  thumbsup  Do you work in a store or are you more (for lack of a better term) "corporate"?

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 37):
You're right too.

Heh, thanks. My apologies if I seemed a little offputting--not my intention or way, lol.

PA110

Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:52 pm

Glossy displays do make blacks deeper and colors more vibrant, but those qualities are exaggerated. It's very nice to look at, but it's not very accurate. Color accuracy is vital for photo and video editing, and only a calibrated, matte-surfaced, high quality display will bring you that.

I don't believe iMac's are aimed at the professional work environment. They seem to be aimed more for the home user. If you're a graphic designer or professional photographer, you should be working on a MacBook Pro or G5.
It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

Klaus

Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:42 pm

Quoting PA110 (Reply 39):
I don't believe iMac's are aimed at the professional work environment.

Why not? I see iMacs in many media- or communication-oriented workplaces, and the trend is up rather than down.

Even when you're a photographer I'm pretty sure you could well live and work with one of them. The new case and the black frame around the screen should indeed remove distractions, and as far as I'm aware Apple builds the same-quality panels into the iMacs as into the Cinema Displays.

Whether the glass cover will really prevent anyone from calibrating the monitor probably remains to be seen - but you could still use a second monitor for proofing anyway.

ars technica have just put up their own test of the new iMac:

Aluminum and glass: A review of the new iMac

ThePRGuy

Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:39 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 28):
Why? Apart from looking unusually, the key caps are identical to conventional keyboards. It just has somewhat less mass and key depression is shallower.

One man to himself! I think they are awful, feel flimsy, you miss keys as they are raised and it hurts the tips of your fingers due to the less spring used. Not good for a desktop computer, it is tolerable in a laptop.

Walt Mossberg at the WSJ concurs, also a big wig at macformat.

Alex

FriendlySkies

Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:04 am

Quoting Hawaiian717 (Reply 20):
Have fun with that. I know a couple people that have Vista (I played with the betas, but have no plans to purchase it), have not been happy with it. Be sure to keep your XP CD's around.

Actually I've been running it for two days now and love it...runs better than XP for me (quite possibly because Dell installed XP).

ThePRGuy

Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:52 am

Adding to my previous post as I cannot edit.

The new bluetooth kbd is a POS no matter what anyone (klaus :P) says. No num pad on a bloody bluetooth keyboard?

Who the hell do they think they are?

Bluetooth keyboards aren't necessarily for the mobile user. Personally, I use them because I prefer not to see wires. Its one of my things. Just taken the precaution of ordering 5 bluetooth apple keyboards (old model) so to assure my keyboard satisfaction no matter what mac i get!!!

Alex

rabenschlag

Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:51 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 40):
Even when you're a photographer I'm pretty sure you could well live and work with one of them. The new case and the black frame around the screen should indeed remove distractions, and as far as I'm aware Apple builds the same-quality panels into the iMacs as into the Cinema Displays.

I read that they actually downgraded the panel for the 20'' model. Alledgedly, the old 20'' white iMac had an 8 bit S-IPS panel, whereas the new 20'' aluminium iMac has an 8 bit TN panel (made by LG Philips). The new TN panel has a shallower viewing angle (160, 160) than the previous one (about 170 each), and is not truly 8 bit, but achieves the 8 bit color depth by FRC. According to the thread on macrumors http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=339292&page=3, this means the following:

there are different ways to make a 6-bit panel look like an 8-bit one. The most common method is FRC (frame-rate control) where a pixel is rapidly switched between two adjacent colors to produce the desired one. If implemented well, it is impossible to tell the difference between this and true 8-bit. If not implemented well, it produces artifacts like flickering on certain colors (because your brain can detect the pixels flip-flopping between states

unquote.

I bet that they implemented FRC well, so that there should be no issues. Still strange that they switched to what some call an inferior panel technique.

Cheers,

r.

mdodd

Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:37 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 40):
I'm aware Apple builds the same-quality panels into the iMacs as into the Cinema Displays.

Yeah, um, no. They are different.

57AZ

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:14 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 1):
And for me one of its best features is the ultra-thin new keyboard with (finally) two USB 2.0 outputs!

OK but I'd get an HP before I'd spend that much money. Just got a widescreen HP500 notebook with comparable programs for half that, plus I have 3 USB ports and about 7 Gig memory-I've got about 2 Gig of presentations stored on the machine right now.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

mdodd

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:34 am

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 46):
comparable programs for half that

I wouldn't go that far.

Also, the iMac is REALLY competitive in terms of price and specs...find me something comperable that is cheaper.

Klaus

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:47 am

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 43):
The new bluetooth kbd is a POS no matter what anyone (klaus :P) says. No num pad on a bloody bluetooth keyboard?

Looks like a "couch keyboard" to me... Some people will appreciate that it's much smaller than the cabled one, other people will complain about the missing keys, others (like me) couldn't care less about wireless keyboards anyway. It would probably best if they offered both large and small keyboards both wired and wirelessly, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that...  mischievous 

Quoting Rabenschlag (Reply 44):
I read that they actually downgraded the panel for the 20'' model.

I'd want to see quite a bit more solid information than a post on a rumour site.

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 46):
OK but I'd get an HP before I'd spend that much money. Just got a widescreen HP500 notebook with comparable programs for half that,

Compare the actual capabilities point by point, then come again. Comparably equipped PCs are generally not or not much cheaper than the corresponding Macs. Apple just doesn't offer anything in the bargain basement range.

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 46):
plus I have 3 USB ports and about 7 Gig memory-I've got about 2 Gig of presentations stored on the machine right now.

What are you talking about? I'd love to see the cheap consumer laptop which supported 7GB of memory - actually I'd love to see any laptop capable of that today!

And for a harddisk that would be pitifully small by today's standards, don't you think?

mdodd

Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:16 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 48):
I'd want to see quite a bit more solid information than a post on a rumour site.

via Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/08/a...g-imac-first-unboxing-impressions/

"Upon closer inspection we weren't too stoked about the screen. The colors are rich, but compared to our Dell 24-incher (at 400 cd/m2, 1000:1 contrast ratio), the iMac was still dissatisfying. Despite its very decent 380cd/m2, 750:1 CR display, contrast was still very low, and working with objects and icons white window space was even at times strenuous on our eyes."

via Gizmodo: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple/new...sions-and-full-hands+on-287508.php
"The 20-inch and 24-inch screen have more differences than just size. The 20-incher has a slightly lower viewing angle and is less bright (160-degrees vs. 178-degrees; 290 nits vs 370 nits.) But the 20-inchers are more contrasty at 800:1, as opposed to the 24's 750:1."