MCOflyer
Topic Author

How Much Pain One Can Take

Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:52 am

After watching Taboo on National Geographic, It occurred to me how much pain these people go through. You see people hanging from fish hooks, people getting run over (as in stunts), people getting half eaten from sharks. What is your opinion?

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

GQfluffy

RE: How Much Pain One Can Take

Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:58 am

Well, I don't hit the suggest delete button everytime I see one of these threads...so I'd say it's quite high. Big grin
This isn't where I parked my car...

Pilothica737

Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:25 am

two words. WHITE PEOPLE! Just kidding

bagpiper

Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:29 am

reading your posts puts me near my pain tolerance.

Wink im just kidding buddy.

I wonder what the closest pain to labor a man can feel?

ShyFlyer

Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:36 am

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 3):

I've heard that passing a kidney stone would qualify. Thankfully, I've never personally verified that.

As for pain thresholds, it seems to be that it would depend upon the circumstances and the type of pain involved (i.e. physical or emotional).
I lift things up and put them down.

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:38 am

Well I've heard of people that have had nails in their head. For me, I will post it on request.

Hunter

TSS

Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:40 am

Passing a kidney stone would be my guess.

However, with labor you only get to hear the horror/war stories; no-one talks about the babies that just "pop" out.
With her first child, my cousin was in labor for maybe three hours, and was up walking around an hour after the child was born. Immediately after the birth her husband said "That's it? My God woman, have a little pride about yourself...at least scream and holler and pretend it's killing you!".
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

FlagshipAZ

Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:53 am

Well for me, I have passed quite a few kidney stones in my time. I still have them too. I can remember 3 occasions I had to go to the ER, to get morphine and flomax. Once I was prepped for surgery when at the last minute, the stones came thru naturally. But let me tell ya, guys...it's a man's version of giving birth. The pain is incredible! The pain made me irrational & angry, just like a woman in labor. Try pissing out a lima bean thru your wiener, because that's what it felt like coming down my dick! Some of my stones were big as buck shots. My advice to prevents stones...drink plenty of water and cut back on food & drinks containing lots of calcium, mostly dairy products. Hope none of you will go thru this agony.
Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:58 am

For me it was 2 things: I had to get my ingrown removed and the needle hurt like hell. The 2nd is not being able to breathe a sinus surgery. They put packing's up my nose and every time I went to sneeze, it hurt. I was crying for a hour hoping they would magically disappear. My advice: never get sinus surgery unless you have too. Till then im clear.

hunter

HAWK21M

Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:59 am

Depends on the Individual & their tolerance level.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

aloges

Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:17 am

It depends - how much of which painkillers can the individual take? And what sort of pain is it, nociceptive, central nervous...?

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 5):
Well I've heard of people that have had nails in their head. For me, I will post it on request.

The story of Phineas Gage is even, well, "better".  Wink
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

ORFflyer

Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:30 am

Diverticulitis

When it acts up, makes me double over, and I curl up in the fetal position to help ease the pain.

pelican

Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:45 am

Passing a kidney stone can hurt as hell (so I've heard) but it doesn't have to. I didn't feel much; I was just shocked how bloody it was.
To me a severe migraine episode is much worse.

pelican

GQfluffy

Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:25 am

Quoting TSS (Reply 6):
Passing a kidney stone would be my guess.

Been there. Done that. Pray everyday I don't have to go through another month like that.

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:28 am

Whats a kidney stone feel like? An ingrown toenail Novocaine shot?

Hunter

JakeOrion

Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:40 am

Victim of Flail chest fractures here. Most painful experience ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flail_chest
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

WestJetForLife

Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:10 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 14):
Whats a kidney stone feel like? An ingrown toenail Novocaine shot?

It's like trying to pee out a marble: hard, hurts and you need a lot of sedatives and pain relievers to take care of it (or so my dad says).

The worst pain (physical) I have ever experienced, would have to have been when I rode a rickety wagon down a steep hill here in Calgary. (Any Calgarians familiar with Prairie Winds Park and that gigantic hill?)

Ultimately, I didn't break anything but my glasses and my trust in wagons for about 3 years. I can specifically remember that I hit a bump, went flying out of said wagon and landed back first at the base of the hill. About 4 of my friends crowded around me and asked me if I was okay. I just got up, brushed off the dust from my jacket and asked "Where's the coffee?" However, I must have hit a rock with my back, as I had an orange-sized bruise on my back for about a week, and it stung like heck for a good while, even after the bruise disappeared.

Nik
I need a drink.

GQfluffy

Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:39 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 14):
Whats a kidney stone feel like?

Like being stabbed in the back. Nothing you can do makes the pain go away. The best you can hope for is to pop a couple of pills (I was prescribed Percacet)...and hopefully 30 minutes later it finally fades. Or in most cases the pain dulls to an ache that you can live with. Passing a stone is supposedly equivalent to child birth for the male. I passed one stone, which...well...afterwards I was crying on the floor thanking god for seeing the end of that ordeal. I had surgery to remove the others that were too big to come out. That's what happens when you don't drink enough water and you eat like shit, folks. Anyway, the pain comes and goes, and hits without warning. Either way, it's no walk in the park.

Sabena332

Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:42 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Thread starter):
How Much Pain One Can Take

Play football (soccer) in the lower youth leagues and your question is answered.  Wink

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

ShannoninAMA

Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:02 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 18):
Play football (soccer) in the lower youth leagues and your question is answered.

More like WATCH the game instead...sounds like pain to me! Big grin

(Just kidding Big grin) Shan
Shipwreck alert. Head on over to Airspaceonline.com.

diamond

Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:48 am

I have a friend who had the onset of a kidney-stone attack while we were at LAX airport. One minute he was standing next to me talking. The next minute he had dropped to the ground and was screaming.

The pain is not where you'd expect it to be. The worst pain of kidney stones is in the lower back, just above waist-level. That is when the stone tries to exit the kidney and gets caught in the ureter (different from the urethra).

According to my friend, there is nothing worse.
Blank.

aloha73g

Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:23 am

3 words: Peri-Rectal Abscess: a pocket of pus in the tissues around the rectum, the last part of the bowel that ends at the anus.

Been there.....was HELL!! Couldn't even roll over in bed without pain. I thought I was going to die until the puss exploded through my skin relieveing the pressure and the pain after 24 hours of HELL!! Of note....the drainage explosion occurred during my favorite Seinfeld episode, the one where Elaine is in coach and Jerry is in first class. hehe

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

diamond

Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:36 am

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 21):
3 words: Peri-Rectal Abscess: a pocket of pus in the tissues around the rectum, the last part of the bowel that ends at the anus.

Been there.....was HELL!! Couldn't even roll over in bed without pain. I thought I was going to die until the puss exploded through my skin relieveing the pressure and the pain after 24 hours of HELL!! Of note....the drainage explosion occurred during my favorite Seinfeld episode, the one where Elaine is in coach and Jerry is in first class. hehe

-Aloha!

Ok, now that's disgusting right there.
Blank.

aloha73g

Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:19 am

Quoting Diamond (Reply 22):
Ok, now that's disgusting right there.

Oh yes, it was.  weeping 

I bet you wish you were there.  yes   wink 

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:20 am

Aloha73G, I've had worse. If you wanna hear it, i'll im you.

Hunter

bagpiper

Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:02 pm

good grief.

I just drank 3 big glasses of water after reading about kidney stones. Don't wanna be there!  Wow!

GQfluffy

Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:06 pm

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 25):
I just drank 3 big glasses of water after reading about kidney stones.

Now you'll pee all night. Big grin Just be sure to drink 2-3 liters of water a day. I was never one to believe in that "8-12 8 oz glasses of water a day", but after having stones I know better. Amazing what you learn. At first that may seem an awful lot, but after actually doing it a couple of times, you'll be amazed how quick you can tell if you haven't consumed enough water during the day.

tz757300

Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:11 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 24):
Aloha73G, I've had worse. If you wanna hear it, i'll im you.

Why don't you just share with the class?
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:46 pm

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 27):

Why don't you just share with the class?

I would rather not say for the world to hear me, but will share in a im.

Hunter

tz757300

Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:51 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 28):

Fine then, IM me
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

AsstChiefMark

Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:54 pm

I broke my ankle on an EMS call back in 1988. It was a cardiac arrest call and I had to do my job. That included walking on it and moving the patient into and out of the ambulance. I just focused on the patient and that got me through. Once the code was called, that's when I noticed the pain.

Ever since then, I've had a very high pain tolerance. For example, I bearly noticed a scorpion had bitten me a few months ago. I can't feel bee stings until the itching starts.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

TSS

Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:57 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 28):

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 29):
Fine then, IM me

IM me as well, please. You've piqued my curiosity.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:16 am

I have a kidney stone. Any advice?

Hunter

redngold

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:25 am

Depends - are you talking about single-episode or chronic pain tolerance?

The worst pains I've ever felt have been
1) when I severely sprained my right ankle, it felt like someone grabbed my ankle with a red-hot fireplace tool and pulled my foot off;
2) a gallstone attack in which I felt like someone grabbed the bottom of my rib cage and dug their fingers up under my ribs;
3) ureteral colic [never confirmed as passing stones] and menstrual pain that feel like someone is sticking a knife up there and slicing downwards.

Chronic sinus pain can be a real drag which feels like a constant toothache, like I'm constantly trying to bite down really hard on my back teeth. It causes tension in the muscles overlying my cheekbones. I'm finally having this looked at next week.
Up, up and away!

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:29 am

Quoting Redngold (Reply 33):

Chronic sinus pain can be a real drag which feels like a constant toothache, like I'm constantly trying to bite down really hard on my back teeth. It causes tension in the muscles overlying my cheekbones. I'm finally having this looked at next week.

Good luck. I have that issue now and all that relaxes me is to post on here.

Hunter

diamond

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:52 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 32):

There are 3 solutions for kidney stones:

1. let it pass naturally

2. lithotripsy

3. surgery (a last resort)

Many doctors prefer to let the stone pass naturally. If the stone is smaller than a pea (no pun intended), that's the way to go. Drinking a lot of water will help things happen faster.

A Lithotripsy is a procedure where the kidney stone is pulverized by ultrasonic sound waves. They take two large things that look like ray-guns, and aim them at the stone and shatter it. Sometimes this is done with the patient sitting in a large tank of water. Afterwards, you'll be bruised and feel like you've been kicked in the ribs - but the stone will be completely dissolved.

Surgery on the kidney is a big deal. It should be avoided if possible.
Blank.

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:57 am

Diamond my mom suggested Tylenol, is that good? My side feels like someone took a punch at me on purposely.

Hunter

pelican

Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:07 am

Quoting Diamond (Reply 35):
Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 32):

There are 3 solutions for kidney stones:

1. let it pass naturally

That is the conservative (and natural) way with a little bit of luck it will pass without much effort and with even more luck it won't hurt much.

Because you can read so much horror stories about kidney stones it may be a comfort to you to hear that sometimes it they pass without pain at all. I had one and I didn't feel any pain when it passed (but it was bloody as hell).

pelican

diamond

Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:24 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 36):
my mom suggested Tylenol, is that good? My side feels like someone took a punch at me on purposely

Well I'm not an M.D. but I'll give you my opinion: Tylenol is a very mild pain reliever. It may help with headaches, but I don't think it's going to do too much to eliminate pain from kidney stones. A little Tylenol isn't going to hurt you, so it's worth a try.

Ironically, prolonged use of over-the-counter pain meds such as Tylenol (acetaminophen), Aspirin (asa) and Advil (ibuprofen)) lead to kidney damage, and something called "acute renal nephropathy."
Blank.

GQfluffy

Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:43 am

Quoting Diamond (Reply 35):
Surgery on the kidney is a big deal. It should be avoided if possible.

Yes it is, but it is more vital then leaving the stone unattended. My surgery involved sticking a tube up into the kidney via the bladder, the stones were then lasered, and the large chucks of stone were removed. The Urologist put a stint in the urethra (or whatever the tube the connects the bladder to the kidney), and left it in place for 2 weeks. He then went in with a contraption that frankly still gives me the shudders, and removed it. The surgery wasn't too invasive, but your prostrate protests for weeks.  Wink

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 36):
Diamond my mom suggested Tylenol, is that good?

Aleve. And lots of it. Prescription pain killers are what you really need. If you do truly have a stone, go to the doctor immediately for CT scans. It needs to come out right away. I'm sorry MCO, but I'm questioning why you think all of a sudden you have a stone. What kinds of pain have you been having? These things just don't hit overnight...

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:50 am

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 39):
I'm sorry MCO, but I'm questioning why you think all of a sudden you have a stone. What kinds of pain have you been having?

My lower right above the rear.

Hunter

rlwynn

Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:02 am

Kidney stones are not like marbles, peas or small rocks. It is like trying to pee out a jack.

A Jack

A Kidney stone
I can drive faster than you

WestJetForLife

Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:04 am

Quoting Rlwynn (Reply 41):

No wonder they hurt. That looks painful even looking at it!

Wow, I cannot imagine trying to pass one of those things.

Nik
I need a drink.

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:46 am

I only hopes it back pain. but something tells me its more than that.

Hunter

747srule

Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:02 am

I had a kidney stone 10 years ago. Woke me up from a dead sleep at 1:30 in the morning. I said "take that knife out of my back". I had to get it removed by surgery. Had to have a catheter you know where. Drinking lots of lemonade should prevent future stones. Something about the acid in the lemons breaks them up.
Jesus is the way,the truth,and the life

LOT767-300ER

Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:03 am

16-20 and you have stones? Honestly...

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:04 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 45):
16-20 and you have stones? Honestly...

I am 20 and drink lots of gingerale and dr. pepper.

Hunter

tz757300

Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:16 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 46):

I am 20 and drink lots of gingerale and dr. pepper.

I'm 16 and have drakn that stuff since i was little. Sure it isn't a bad case of gas buildup?
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

kmh1956

Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:34 am

Let's see.....

Currently getting cortisone shots in the back of my neck for pain management, as the discs between my spinal bones are degrading. You ever seen a cortisone needle?

Broken ankle and foot.

Oh yeah....had a spinal when I was in labor with my daughter, but the pain medication wore off half an hour before she was actually born. That spinal needle was huge too. I didn't ask for it, but my OB/GYN decided I needed it.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

AsstChiefMark

Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:17 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 40):
My lower right above the rear.

You don't have a kidney stone. You'd be in the hospital, or at least make a visit to the ER, and be on heavy-duty narcotic pain killers. You'd be so out of the zone that you wouldn't care if a.net existed or not.

You've got one of three things:

A. Mild back strain
B. Sciatica (a "pinched nerve")
C. Irritation of the iliosacral joint

In any case, the best treatment is ibuprofen, ice packs for 20 minutes four times a day, and rest. Tylenol rarely works on pain related to these three conditions.

I would have given you this advice earlier, but you never asked.  

[Edited 2007-08-10 04:19:41]
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail