Sabena332
Topic Author

The Top 10 Selling Beers In Germany

Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:12 pm

The tabloid Bild published Germany's top 10 selling beers today in its online edition (article here).

Here is the list:

1. Oettinger (+ 0,2 %)
2. Krombacher (+ 3,2 %)
3. Bitburger (- 4,6 %)
4. Becks (- 0,1 %)
5. Warsteiner (+ 1,0 %)
6. Veltins (+ 2,8 %)
7. Hasseröder (+ 5,4 %)
8. Paulaner (+ 1,0 %)
9. Radeberger (+ 2,8 %)
10. Sternburg (- 4,7 %)

Actually not surprising that Oettinger is on top, you get a case with twenty 0.5 liter bottles for 5 EUR (or even less when it is on special offer), the good thing is that this beer is drinkable unlike other cheap beers. Krombacher's Bundesliga sponsoring seems to be successful, they are #2 in Germany.

Incredible that so many people drink that disgusting Warsteiner piss. Also surprising that Paulaner is on place #8, I thought that Erdinger is more popular.

And WTF is Sternburg? I've never, ever heard of this beer.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

aloges

RE: The Top 10 Selling Beers In Germany

Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:18 pm

Quoting Sabena332 (Thread starter):

Zonengesöff: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sternburg_%28Bier%29  flamed 

Also surprising that Paulaner is on place #8, I thought that Erdinger is more popular.

Exactly my thoughts, but does Erdinger make anything but Weißbier? Paulaner does, and they have the advantage of being owned by a corporation with lots of money to back the brand.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

LH526
Crew

Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:48 pm

Oettinger (+ 0,2 %)

Yeah, Oettinger is that mediocre tasting Ryanair of german beers, I prefer Becks due to it's bottle size 'n' shape and Radeberger and Jever for it's taste.

And no DON'T come along with the Kölsch vs Alt bullshit ... they both aren't beers in the eye of the according opponent citicen, only their's is .... for us ... neither is!

Mario
LH526
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

zak

Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:53 pm

1. Oettinger (+ 0,2 %)
2. Krombacher (+ 3,2 %)
3. Bitburger (- 4,6 %)
4. Becks (- 0,1 %)
5. Warsteiner (+ 1,0 %)
6. Veltins (+ 2,8 %)
7. Hasseröder (+ 5,4 %)
8. Paulaner (+ 1,0 %)
9. Radeberger (+ 2,8 %)
10. Sternburg (- 4,7 %)

so wheres the beer?  devil   devil   duck   drunk 
10=2

Beaucaire

Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:58 pm

....die wahren Kenner trinken Tucher -PIls...
Sorry -could'nt resist - but I love my "homebrew" pils from Nuremberg and place it quite high in the price-performance list.
But my perferred beers are absolutely the real Budweiser from Czechoslovakia and the Pilsner Urquell...
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

CrazyHorse

Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:03 pm

Actually not surprising that Oettinger is on top, you get a case with twenty 0.5 liter bottles for 5 EUR (or even less when it is on special offer), the good thing is that this beer is drinkable unlike other cheap beers

I agree, and the Oettinger Weißbier is really a good Weißbier. Cheap price and good taste, a nice team for a good selling beer.

Sabena332
Topic Author

Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:22 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 1):
Zonengesöff: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sternbu...er%29

Thanks for the info, now I know why I never heard of this beer.  Wink

Quoting Aloges (Reply 1):
but does Erdinger make anything but Weißbier?

No, they are only making wheat beer.

Quoting LH526 (Reply 2):
I prefer Becks due to it's bottle size 'n' shape

I don't buy Beck's anymore, their bottles mostly shiver when you open them with a lighter. But the taste of Beck's is pretty good.

Quoting LH526 (Reply 2):
Radeberger and Jever for it's taste.

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 4):
Budweiser from Czechoslovakia and the Pilsner Urquell...

checkmark 

All of the four aforementioned beers taste great!

Quoting CrazyHorse (Reply 5):
I agree, and the Oettinger Weißbier is really a good Weißbier.

I can't agree more, nobody else offers a case of good tasting wheat beer for 5.40 EUR. Now they are also making "Kristallweizen", a friend and me will try it tomorrow during the Stuttgart-Schalke game. Big grin

My favourite beer at the moment is Maisel's Weisse (I am always drinking wheat beer in the summer, switched to Maisel's from Erdinger because Erdinger has become pure rip-off [14.29 EUR for a case]). And then there are the all time classics from Dortmund and Bochum: Kronen Pils/Export and Fiege Pils respectively.

Prost!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

ANCFlyer

Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:23 am

3. Bitburger (- 4,6 %)

NO surprise!!!

Excellent stuff . . .

FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

LHMark

Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:28 am

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 4):
....die wahren Kenner trinken Tucher -PIls...

Tucher, known for its rather inferior Hefeweizen, makes my favorite Doppelbock- Tucher Bajuvator.

[Edited 2007-08-09 17:29:11]
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

LH526
Crew

Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:03 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 6):
I don't buy Beck's anymore, their bottles mostly shiver when you open them with a lighter. But the taste of Beck's is pretty good.

Well, make that Flens!! I was in the middle of a hurry so I confused Becks and Flens ... but both are quite drinkable actualy.

OHLHD

Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:10 am

2. Krombacher (+ 3,2 %)
3. Bitburger (- 4,6 %)
4. Becks (- 0,1 %)
5. Warsteiner (+ 1,0 %)
6. Veltins (+ 2,8 %)
7. Hasseröder (+ 5,4 %)
8. Paulaner (+ 1,0 %)

I would rank them in this exact way.

Oettinger is fine aswell.

Radeberger and the Sternburg have never touched my palatine. Big grin

DC10extender

Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:17 am

What, no Hofbrau?

filler
Did you ever read on your birth certificate that life is fair? Thats cause its not there.

sandrozrh

Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:18 am

Actually not surprising that Oettinger is on top, you get a case with twenty 0.5 liter bottles for 5 EUR (or even less when it is on special offer)

WTF?????  faint  *books ticket to Germany*

Me neither  Confused

nosedive

Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:57 am

The worst beer in Germany... and it still beats Coors

Quoting Zak (Reply 3):
so wheres the beer?

#8 and that's about it

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 7):

Excellent stuff . . .

Goddamn Alaskans....

BTW, to anyone whose had Paulaner both in Germany and in the States, how much of a difference will you notice in taste? I haven't noticed that much of a difference if you let Paulaner "thaw." -2ºC for a beer in the States... jesus, you know you have a decent beer if said beer doesn't taste like piss the moment it gets slightly warm.

Sabena332
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:15 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 7):
Excellent stuff . . .

Bit is ok, especially when it comes from the tap.

Quoting LH526 (Reply 9):
Well, make that Flens!! I was in the middle of a hurry so I confused Becks and Flens ...

Flens is great, my parents were on Sylt lately and they brought me a few bottles of Flens Weizen... also a great beer but unfortunately not available here in the West.

Quoting DC10extender (Reply 11):
What, no Hofbrau?

Hofbräu is not available everywhere in Germany, you get it on every corner in Bavaria but it is pretty rare in the rest of Germany.

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 12):
WTF?????

Kampfpreis, eh? Two weeks ago we bought a case (twenty 0.5 liter bottles) for 4.40 EUR, that is the cheapest price I ever saw for Oettinger. A case of beer is nowadays cheaper than a box of smokes here in Germany. Big grin

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 13):
BTW, to anyone whose had Paulaner both in Germany and in the States, how much of a difference will you notice in taste?

The same for Bitburger, it is tasting different in the USA than here in Germany. Beck's has also a different taste in foreign countries, the German version is a bit drier.

Patrick

frequentflyer

Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:24 am

Quoting LH526 (Reply 2):
Oettinger is that mediocre tasting Ryanair of german beers

rotfl 

Would the distinguished assembly here educate us Bitte Sehr and try to come up with the list that Sabena332 came up with in the first post, but this time showing the hierarchy for tastiness instead of sales volume? I know taste is personal, but I would like to know what to order next time I hop over to Goethe's country.
Take off and live

LTU932

Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:26 am

Still nothing compared to that piss named Imperial and Pilsen, which are the two biggest beer brands in Costa Rica. I just can't drink that stuff.  vomit 

On the other hand, about a month ago when I had a Stella Artois, I finally felt I was actually drinking beer. I may be a more frequent beer drinker if the domestic selection here in SJO wasn't such crap, and imported beer so damn expensive. 10 years without drinking decent beer have taken a toll on me.

DAL767400ER

Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:42 am

What, no Holsten and no Astra? Rather disappointing. With the mediocre performance of the HSV in the Bundesliga, the Holsten consumption by frustrated fans would have propelled Holsten to the top  Silly .

MKEdude

Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:52 am

3. Bitburger (- 4,6 %)

Bitburger has been making a big push here in the states lately. My local liquor store sells 4 packs of the 500ml cans for $2.50. As far as lagers go it's not as good as Pilsner Urquell, but it's a huge step up from Bud or Miller. Generally speaking a good value.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

LTU932

Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:55 am

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 17):
With the mediocre performance of the HSV in the Bundesliga, the Holsten consumption by frustrated fans would have propelled Holsten to the top

Not to mention the consumption of Astra by St. Pauli fans celebrating the Aufstieg. Big grin

Sabena332
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:01 am

Quoting Frequentflyer (Reply 15):
Would the distinguished assembly here educate us Bitte Sehr and try to come up with the list that Sabena332 came up with in the first post, but this time showing the hierarchy for tastiness instead of sales volume? I know taste is personal, but I would like to know what to order next time I hop over to Goethe's country.

It depends where in Germany you are, not all breweries sell there beers throughout Germany.

When you are in North Rhine-Westphalia I can recommend these (all of them are Pils beers):

- Kronen
- Fiege
- Altenrüthener (very hard to get)
- Pott's
- Stauder

When you are in Dusseldorf you should definitely try their famous Alt, but local Alt beers and not the mainstream crap. Lokal Alt beers from micro breweries in Dusseldorf are for example:

- Füchschen
- Schumacher
- Uerige

My all time favourite wheat beer is Hösl but it is only available localy in Bavaria.

As I wrote, these are my favourites when it comes to local beers. As for the mainstream beers: Try a lot of them and find your favourite. Big grin

Patrick

LTU932

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:04 am

Quoting MKEdude (Reply 18):
Bitburger has been making a big push here in the states lately. My local liquor store sells 4 packs of the 500ml cans for $2.50.

I guess one thing that helps Bitburger with regards to brand recognition is its sponsoring of the German National Football team. I didn't even hear of Bitburger until they became an official DFB Sponsor some 15 years or so ago.

srbmod

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:09 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 14):
Hofbräu is not available everywhere in Germany, you get it on every corner in Bavaria but it is pretty rare in the rest of Germany.

You can even get in Las Vegas!
http://www.hofbrauhauslasvegas.com/

Of the ones on that list that are generally available here in the States, I'm a fan of some of the Paulaner beers.

I used to go through a German beer phase every so often, but once the higher gravity Belgian beers were available where I live, I've tended to go towards those than the German offerings.

I actually remember the very first German beer I ever had. Rappen Export. Many moons ago (well before I was even 21), my stepdad's dad and stepmom to a trip to Germany to visit relatives and brought some back. My stepdad gave me the equivalent of a few sips to try.

Sabena332
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:13 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 21):
I guess one thing that helps Bitburger with regards to brand recognition is its sponsoring of the German National Football team. I didn't even hear of Bitburger until they became an official DFB Sponsor some 15 years or so ago.

Sponsoring the National Football Team made them really famous throughout Germany but here in the Ruhr-Area they were always "big" despite it is a beer from Rhineland-Palatinate. I know many pubs and restaurants here that serve Bit since the last twenty or so years.

Another thing I noticed is that beer from Wuppertal has become more and more unpopular over the years. When I was a kid there were many pubs and restaurants serving Wicküler and Bremme. Bremme closed down many years ago and Wicküler was bought by DAB, it is brewed in Dortmund now and only available in bottles, there is no bar or restaurant anymore that serves Wicküler.

Patrick

rlwynn

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:14 am

Quoting Frequentflyer (Reply 15):

That would be impossible. There are hundreds of beers and most are not available everywhere.

Becks
Krombacher
Jever
Veltins
Andreas (Small brewery from Hagen)
Licher
Oettinger - By far the best tasting beer for the money anywhere in the world.
Flensburg - Partick check Extra markt. I am in the west and it is there.

10 other people could make lists with different beers that taste just as good.

And the winner

I can drive faster than you

Sabena332
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:21 am

Quoting Rlwynn (Reply 24):
Andreas

You can't be serious... AndiPi is one of the worst IMO. There was one bar in my former hometown that used to serve AndiPi, I always drunk Weizen or Alt there because this Pils is simply not drinkable. But what else can you expect from a shithole like Hagen?

And the winner

I used to live in a town bordering to Schwelm, the Pils is not really good but the Alt and the Weizen are quite drinkable. My father used to drink the Alt but switched over to Fiege Alt since it is available.

Patrick

[Edited for typo]

[Edited 2007-08-09 22:24:19]

rlwynn

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:28 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 25):
You can't be serious... AndiPi is one of the worst IMO. There was one bar in my former hometown that used to serve AndiPi,

Maybe.I only listed it as there is a restaurant by my house and when we are mountain biking we often stop there and have one. And it always is good. But I have never had it from the bottle.

And there is nothing wrong you can say about Schwelmer Pils. I have not noticed anything funny about with the 10,000 I have drank. Or everyone else in this town for that matter.

rlwynn

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:41 am

Andit is kind of funny how people will only drink certain beers here. I live right on the border of GM and EN. Right on the border means like 100 meters away. So that every signle person I know that live north of me starting just a few hundred meters up the street drinks Shwelmer pils. Every party every barbque only Schwelmer Pils.

And all my direct neighbors at every party and barbque it is only Warsteiner.

Sabena332
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:44 am

Quoting Rlwynn (Reply 26):
And there is nothing wrong you can say about Schwelmer Pils. I have not noticed anything funny about with the 10,000 I have drank. Or everyone else in this town for that matter.

I always got a headache when I drunk a few bottles of Schwelmer so I stay away from it. But maybe it became a bit better lately, I heard that the owner (and master brewer) switched a few years ago.

Patrick

pelican

Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:01 am

I guess you haven't tried Hansa lately? And beers like Kindl, Warsteiner and Holsten aren't really better but far more expensive.

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 20):
When you are in Dusseldorf you should definitely try their famous Alt, but local Alt beers and not the mainstream crap. Lokal Alt beers from micro breweries in Dusseldorf are for example:

That is Alt - a beer flavored beverage - but not beer.

You should try Stier Pilsner - even cheaper than Oettinger and tastes better (so I've heard - I've never tried Oettinger). It is an astonishing third beer and even drinkable when completely sober.

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 12):
Actually not surprising that Oettinger is on top, you get a case with twenty 0.5 liter bottles for 5 EUR (or even less when it is on special offer)

WTF????? faint *books ticket to Germany*

You can get a case of a halfway decent beer for even less money - Stier Bier (only available at Netto)

BTW Where is Jever?

pelican

Sabena332
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:12 am

Quoting Pelican (Reply 30):

I am not a big fan of Alt beer but the three Alt beer breweries I mentioned in the post above are very good. My best friend used to work in a hotel in Dusseldorf, one night after the late shift he went over to Füchschen to get a fresh barreled keg. We drunk it on the same night (just an hour later) and it was tasting friggin' awesome. It was not comparable to a Diebels or a Frankenheim from the bottle.

Quoting Pelican (Reply 30):
You can get a case of a halfway decent beer for even less money - Stier Bier (only available at Netto)

Netto markets are rare here but I will keep Stier Bier in mind, I will definitely try it when I see it.

Patrick

rlwynn

Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:35 am

Quoting Pelican (Reply 29):
BTW Where is Jever?

By the Nordsee, Niederlander border. West from Bermerhaven.

www.stadt-jever.de

Air380

Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:52 am

I am so jealous!!! Any beer is so expensive in this neck of the woods! And, sorry to say, I am drinking a Coor's at the moment due to the 700 degree heat we are experiencing!

Bitburger has been making a big push here in the states lately. My local liquor store sells 4 packs of the 500ml cans for $2.50.

Where do you live and can I move there?

pelican

Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:03 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 30):
I am not a big fan of Alt beer but the three Alt beer breweries I mentioned in the post above are very good.

I see, the next time I'm in Ddorf I will give it a try.

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 30):
Netto markets are rare here but I will keep Stier Bier in mind, I will definitely try it when I see it.

Until now I've only heard astonished comments when I mentioned the price of the beer. I wouldn't call it a good beer, but definately drinkable and perfect for the advanced hour of a party or when you want to get wasted on a low budget.

Quoting Rlwynn (Reply 31):
By the Nordsee, Niederlander border. West from Bermerhaven.

Well, "Wie das Land, so das Jever. Friesisch-herb." is also known in the Zone. I meant more where on the top selling list is my favorite German mass market beer? ... Wink

pelican

srbmod

Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:19 am

Quoting Pelican (Reply 29):

Hey, let's not turn this into an Ale v. Lager flame fest thread!  silly 

Here's the German beer ALDI sells in some of its' stores here in the US:

http://www.aldifoods.com/wine/product_wine__beer2.html

I bought a six pack of it once just to try it. It was $4.99 a six pack, if I didn't like it, oh well. I've spend a lot more than that on beer I didn't like.

rlwynn

Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:21 am

I wonder if Jever is sold througout Germany? There could be your answer.

Brand beer and Guplner beer is also really good. But the cans are much to small. And there are also good Limburger beers both in the Netherlands and Belgum. BTW I have given up Venlo for Maastricht. It is much better for international drug smuggling.

This was good beer even from a can.

[Edited 2007-08-10 00:23:29]

pelican

Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:29 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 34):

Now I'm surprised. Wernesgrüner is a decent beer, I would even call it good. I doubt Aldi sells it in Germany.

Quoting Rlwynn (Reply 35):
Brand beer and Guplner beer is also really good.

This was good beer even from a can.

Never heard of those brands before...

pelican

rlwynn

Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:33 am

Quoting Pelican (Reply 36):
Never heard of those brands before...

The are all from the southern most corner of the Netherlands by Aachen.The German speaking part of the netherlands.

Sabena332
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:44 am

Brand beer and Guplner beer is also really good. But the cans are much to small. And there are also good Limburger beers both in the Netherlands and Belgum.

Beers from Belgium are very good IMO, the Dutch stuff is also ok, but I never heard of these brands.

BTW I have given up Venlo for Maastricht. It is much better for international drug smuggling.

rotfl 

No need for the Netherlands when you are living in NRW actually.  Wink Oh yes, did you hear/read what this piece-of-shit party called CDU wants to introduce? Yeah, the big war on drugs here in NRW, friggin' good idea.  Yeah sure Now the police can deal with three kiddies who have a bit over 6 gramm in the pockets and hospitals can frequently take care of even more kids who drunk a bottle of hard booze than smoking a joint.  Yeah sure I am so glad that I have never, ever in my life voted for this retarded human waste! Completely beyond me how someone with a brain can support their rubbish!

Quoting Pelican (Reply 33):
I see, the next time I'm in Ddorf I will give it a try.

You won't be dissapointed!

Quoting Pelican (Reply 33):
Until now I've only heard astonished comments when I mentioned the price of the beer. I wouldn't call it a good beer, but definately drinkable and perfect for the advanced hour of a party or when you want to get wasted on a low budget.

I have no problem when a beer is cheap, only when the taste is bad.

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 34):

WTF???????  Wow! Lucky guys over there in the US of A!

Now I'm surprised. Wernesgrüner is a decent beer, I would even call it good. I doubt Aldi sells it in Germany.

checkmark 

It is definitely a premium beer here in Germany, not cheap at all! I am also surprised that Aldi sells it in the USA, you better buy no beer at Aldi here in Germany... they only sell disgusting crap in plastic bottles. Their wines on the other hand are quite good so I was told.

Patrick

srbmod

Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:26 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 38):
Their wines on the other hand are quite good so I was told.

Haven't tried any of the wines they sell at my local ALDI because I'm stuck on $5 bottles of Banrock Station Australian Riesling that I can get at the regular grocery store I go to, plus they have a screw on cap.

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 38):
WTF??????? Wow! Lucky guys over there in the US of A!

I have to say, it wasn't too bad of a beer; I just assumed with such a cheap price that it was a low end brand or something.

sandrozrh

Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:30 am

Quoting Sabena332 (Reply 14):

Kampfpreis, eh? Two weeks ago we bought a case (twenty 0.5 liter bottles) for 4.40 EUR, that is the cheapest price I ever saw for Oettinger. A case of beer is nowadays cheaper than a box of smokes here in Germany

Christ, and we pay what, €8 for a 10 case of Feldschlösschen.

banghead   banghead   banghead 

zak

Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:38 am

Quoting SandroZRH (Reply 40):
Christ, and we pay what, �8 for a 10 case of Feldschl�sschen.

you can get a 0.5l bottle of "something gold" for .27c in "norma", its plastic bottled relabeled version of one of the "top10 brand beer" up there.
10=2

LH526
Crew

Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:02 am

Right, on a money-taste basis .. but I rather spend some cents more and get an excellent tasting beer instead of that "Öttinger-Plörre". I can't stand those 15+ year olds in the local supermarket getting high in Oettinger just because it's cheap and widely available ...

LOT767-300ER

Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:09 pm

Patrick, some people drink real beer. Like Tyskie.

N1120A

Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:17 pm

Incredible that so many people drink that disgusting Warsteiner piss.

I am betting that a big reason for their market share is that your favorite airline serves Warsteiner  Wink

3. Bitburger (- 4,6 %)

Probably helped by American tourists who learn "Bitte ein Bit"

My local liquor store sells 4 packs of the 500ml cans for $2.50.

Interesting that Bitburger is going after the PBR set.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Beaucaire

Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:26 pm

Bitburger has been making a big push here in the states lately. My local liquor store sells 4 packs of the 500ml cans for $2.50. As far as lagers go it's not as good as Pilsner Urquell, but it's a huge step up from Bud or Miller. Generally speaking a good value.

It's amazing how cheap the USA are compared to France...
In local Supermakets in Avignon or Nîmes (..if you are lucky..) you can buy foreign beers at ridiculous prices..
A 500 ml can of Becks or Warsteiner is 1,40 -1,60€ ( that is 2 $ /can..!!) - the local brand of Kronenburg 1664 is 1,10 €/can !!
So buying German or Czech beer is becomming sheer luxury here.French beer is literally undrinkable for Germans.
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

RayChuang

Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:48 pm

I've seen Oettinger beer occasionally available at premium supermarkets here in the USA (it's expensive, too).

However, thanks to US laws that allow small-scale beer brewing, I get to enjoy some really nice beers that could compare with a good German beer. I cite Anchor Steam, Sierra Nevada and Samuel Adams companies that make amazingly good beer (I'm a big fan of Anchor Steam beer  yes  ).

rlwynn

Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:12 pm

I am an American who has lived in Germany for 5 years now. But also many other beers also. I usually only drank Sierra Nevada for the last couple off years and would occasionally drink American beers also(when I had to).

But now, I find it impossible to drink American beer. And good beers like Sierra Nevada taste really funny. I am sure Anchor Steam would also. I think it is because here I only drink pilsner like 99% of Germans. Nothing else ever. So naturally any other type of beer will havea strange taste. I think that is why Germans are looked upon as arrogant when it comes to drinking other countries beers.

pelican

Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:46 pm

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 46):
I've seen Oettinger beer occasionally available at premium supermarkets here in the USA (it's expensive, too).

You know I don't care much about the politics of Bush or what country America is invading. But this is too much. Selling cheap Oettinger at high prices but the premium beer Wernesgrüner cheap at Aldi. That is outrageous and it shows Americans are uncivilized brutes!  hissyfit   hissyfit   hissyfit 

pelican  Wink

RayChuang

Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:40 am

Pelican,

Oettinger is expensive because not that much beer from this company are exported to the USA.

As for the unusual taste of American "craft beers" like Anchor Steam and Sierra Nevada, that's because they use a different brewing formula than those normally found in Germany. I find most German beers to have a somewhat bland taste compared to Anchor Steam, which has a distinct taste I do like.  Smile My preference for Anchor Steam beer is the reason why I don't drink Budweiser or Miller beers made by the big conglomerates here in the USA.