panam330

Who Do You Bank With?

Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:26 am

Just something I thought about since it's a nice boring Friday here. Last week I switched from Citi to Wells Fargo, but I also use Bank of America. For credit cards, I've got Citi, BoA and American Express. I'm extremely disappointed with the way Citi treated me as one of their "customers," and a couple hours later I walked out of WF feeling like I was actually appreciated as a customer there. As soon as I can, I'm dropping the Citi credit card I have and getting a WF one. How about you guys- who do you bank with, and do you like them?

express1

RE: Who Do You Bank With?

Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:31 am

Not sort of info that people would like to give out really, that's sort of thing people tend to keep to themselfs.

dave
David.S cavanagh since 1961,if you can do better,then show me.

panam330

Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:50 am

What bank they use? Hardly. It's not as if I asked for their account numbers. If that were the case, everyone would wear a trenchcoat and dark sunglasses when they walked in the bank. If you're really offended, suggest deletion.

DC10extender

Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:50 am

Wells Fargo, City County Federal Credit Union.
Did you ever read on your birth certificate that life is fair? Thats cause its not there.

JGPH1A

Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:53 am

BNP Paribas (France)
NatWest (UK)
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

nighthawk

Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:56 am

I bank with the Royal Bank Of Scotland. Also use Nationwide due to them offering free withdrawls from cashmachines abroad. A godsend for travellers!

Fly747

Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:58 am

Royal Bank of Canada (RBC) and Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC).

Ivan

BigOrange

Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:00 am

I use Bank of America. Was going to switch to Commerce but I'm just refinancing a home equity loan with B of A and I have to have an account with B of A to do it Sad

I am getting rid of my B of A and Chase credit cards though, I refuse to pay 20+% APR

bwaflyer

Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:01 am

Lovely Lloyds TSB (not) - but in the process of changing over to smile from Co-op, very good interest rates on current account, and the whole ethical policy attracts me. I also fed up with constant phone calls from some call centre offering me a Lloyds TSB account review (ie a meeting with an account manager to try and flog me a loan). Credit cards - only one for emergencies and large purchases for the extra protection under credit card legislation, from MBNA that I've had forever, and pay off straight away if I ever put anything on it.

jfk69

Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:04 am

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 7):
I use Bank of America. Was going to switch to Commerce but I'm just refinancing a home equity loan with B of A and I have to have an account with B of A to do it

I am getting rid of my B of A and Chase credit cards though, I refuse to pay 20+% APR

if you get a chance afterwards I def. recommend Commerce. Best customer service and of course the sunday full banking.

MD11junkie

Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:08 am

There is no such thing as Boeing vs Airbus as the queen of the skies has three engines, winglets and the sweetest nose!

UPS707

Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:13 am

I refuse to use any of the major commercial banks....I always felt like they were "feeing" me to death and I was just an account number to them. I used to use a couple local credit unions that I liked because they weren't like that. Since then I've started banking using USAA and love it. You can't beat the convenicence of being able to deposit a check into your account without leaving your PC!

Doona

Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:17 am

I utilize the services of a Swedish bank called Handelsbanken. I'm totally satisfied with what they provide, and their Internet banking service is one of the few which has not had a ton of problems with people hacking in and stealing people's money.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

JBLUA320

Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:26 am

I bank with Wachovia. I've wanted to switch to Commerce because I have heard wonderful things, but they have no branches where I go to school (NC) and that's where I spend the bulk of my time. Though, I've heard Commerce will refund the ATM fee if you use a non-Commerce ATM, so maybe I'll make the switch!

JBLU

aloha73g

Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:36 am

First Hawaiian Bank for checking, savings and Aloha AirAwards Credit Card.

They say "Yes!"

Interesting thing about Hawai'i is that all of our banks are only here....no B of A, Wells Fargo, WaMu etc.

We have:
Bank of Hawai'i
First Hawaiian Bank
American Savings Bank
Central Pacific Bank
Hawaii National Bank
Territorial Savings
.....and a few others.

B of A's attempt here in the 1990s was a complete and utter failure. They sold out to American Savings after about 5 years.

-Aloha!

[Edited 2007-08-10 22:53:41]
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

dtwclipper

Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:39 am

I started with Michigan National Bank which became Standard Federal Bank which became La Salle Bank and depending what ABN Amro does will change its name again.

I switched all of my banking to SmithBarney/Citi Bank in May.

My first accounts where at American Federal Savings of Michigan. My dad was president of the firm so it was a good place for me to bank.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

mdodd

Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:43 am

Chase and Commerence

KaiGywer
Crew

Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:13 am

http://www.wingsfinancial.com/images/header.jpg
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

lincoln

Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:29 am

Bank of America for everything but my upcoming mortgage (Wells Fargo). BofA is quite possibly the most incompetent company I've ever dealt with.

An example of a recent exchange

-- via email --
Me: "Hello, I will need a Cashier's Check in the near future, but there aren't any branches in the state that I currently live in, can you tell me what my options are?"
Them: "We appologize for the inconvenience, in the fure you can avoid problems by ensuring that a deposit slip is included with all deposits."

--- via telephone ---
Me: "Hi, I'm going to need a Cashier's Check in the near future, but there anren't any branches in the state that I live in, can you tell me what I would need to do?"
Them: What city and state do you live in?
Me: Cleveland, Ohio
Them: One moment.
Them: Hmm, there don't seem to be any branches in Ohio.
Me: Yeah
Them: Well, as soon as you locate the branch nearest you, they can issue a cashiers check.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

National757

Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:35 am

Quoting Express1 (Reply 1):
Not sort of info that people would like to give out really, that's sort of thing people tend to keep to themselfs.

Why so offended Dave? It's not like Will was asking for the account balances in our bank accounts or even the type of accounts we have. He's just asking where we bank.

In my case, I bank with WAMU and a local credit union.

aloha73g

Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:39 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 18):
BofA is quite possibly the most incompetent company I've ever dealt with.

One of the big reasons they failed in Hawai'i (aside from crappy mainland phone service) was that weren't loaning any money out for mortgages. Why you might ask?? B of A requires heating systems for any homes they do a mortgage on and guess what....no one here has a heater.

My dad (a realtor/developer) talked to them about it.

Him: We don't need heaters in Hawai'i. Why don't you just eliminate that restriction for us?
Them: Those are our rules, we can't make exceptions.
Him: Well then you won't be doing any mortgages here.
Them: We will. On homes that have heaters.

Yikes.....talk about a bunch of idiots!

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

Rara

Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:41 am

In Germany, I still use Sparkasse, even though they're crap. I need to switch to a decent bank sometimes, but I'm just too lazy. In Holland, I've been using SNS, which are equally crap (very similar to Sparkasse in this regard). In Hong Kong, I've been banking with HSBC and I haven't regretted that.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

LTU932

Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:42 am

For my personal bank account: Banco de Costa Rica
For my credit card: Credomatic

srbmod

Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:04 am

I've been using SunTrust for several years now. I had been considering going back to the credit union I used to use (Delta Community Credit Union, formerly Delta Employees Credit Union) since their main branch and one of the their satellite branches aren't too much out of my way on my way home from work (Plus there's a Credit Union Service Center right near my job and I could make deposits there as well instead of going to a DCCU branch.). They have a policy of "once a member, always a member" so it would be easy for me to reopen my account there. I've just been too lazy to go do it. I may do it by the end of the year though.

While SunTrust is a lot more convenient for me (they have branches in quite a few Publix stores and even a few Kroger stores and I can find a branch pretty easily), their service at times leaves a lot to be desired, and some of their tellers just don't know what they're doing. One day, I had a teller try to deposit the amount of money I wanted back and tried to give me the amount of deposit I was trying to make. He didn't make this mistake just once, try three times. I've also had tellers that tried to use the bank's policy in regards to deposits of non-SunTrust checks when the check in question was written on a SunTrust check (My current employee uses SunTrust as well, as did my previous employer so nealry all of the checks I deposit to my account are written on SunTrust account.). The only branches I've never had any problems in regards to my deposits were the branches closest to my employer (My current employer makes deposits there every day and the branch closest to my previous job got a lot of the employees going there to cash their checks).

lgbga

Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:18 am

I use a local small town bank for my checking. HSBC while husband is in Mexico. Credit cards, AMEX, Citi, B of Am that I don't use much. I'm not a fan of them or Chase.

FriendlySkies

Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:27 am

I use Bank of America only because I live in Chicago, go to school in Atlanta, and work in Greenville, SC...BoA is the only bank that has locations in all three cities.

therock401

Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:40 am

For 5 years I banked with the glorified check cashing parlor that is TCF. They have the ID card/checking account scam locked up at the Universities of Minnesota and Michigan (and more, but I can't remember them offhand). Epitome of being treated like a number.

I opened a checking account at Wells Fargo in preparation for my move to Seattle, and I left the bank actually feeling like they wanted to take care of my needs as a customer. Needless to say, they are getting my business from here on out.

Haven't given any of the banks around here a try yet (Sterling Savings, WaMu, BoA).

N231YE

Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:52 am

I use Huntington. So far, they are fine, nothing great about them, nor have I had any problems with them.

As far as Citi goes, my mother came just "a tad" away from filing a lawsuit against them...and according to her, Chase isn't that great either.

portcolumbus

Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:52 am

I have a checking account with Chase, but a high-yield savings account through Citi and Citi-issued credit card.

roadrunner165

Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:14 am

Quoting UPS707 (Reply 11):
I refuse to use any of the major commercial banks....I always felt like they were "feeing" me to death and I was just an account number to them.

Most people don't realize that large banks like Wells Fargo pioneered retail banking. My local bank has actual tellers who are knowledgeable in banking; Wells Fargo and other major banks do not deliver that same level of knowledge. Tellers at Wells Fargo are no different then checkers at your local grocery store! My sister worked for Wells Fargo for about a year and she occasionally talked about when she was hired they told her that the teller job was a retail sales position and that she was required to get 2 customer referrals per day (if I recall correctly). These referrals were anything from getting customers to sign up for debit cards, opening new accounts, getting loans, or pushing any other program Wells offered so that the bank could generate more money in user fees etc. Basically, I would never trust anything that came out of a Wells Fargo tellers mouth, not when they have alternative motives like trying to fill their referral quota so they can keep their jobs. Bottom line in my opinion is that the average customer is of little importance to any large commercial bank, we are mere numbers to them.

Adam

Asturias

Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:27 am

I use many banks in many countries. I'm mysterious like that (ey I travel a lot! :p )

Wink

saludos

Asturias
Tonight we fly

sw733

Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:47 am

In the US: US Bank, but I also have a Chase Credit Card

In Namibia: Bank of Namibia (Dad worked for them)

[Edited 2007-08-11 02:47:58]

ShannoninAMA

Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:50 am

Wells fargo....i used to have "Plains national Bank" But they got bought out by WF  Smile
Shipwreck alert. Head on over to Airspaceonline.com.

sw733

Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:51 am

Oh yes, I forgot to add, I am switching from Bank of Namibia to Bank Windhoek...Bank of Namibia is a lot like the Federal Reserve Bank in the USA, but with some private accounts for people associated with the bank. Now that my dad is no longer a BoN employee, I'm switching over to BW, which is more like, say, Bank of America - just a normal bank.

[Edited 2007-08-11 02:52:00]

National757

Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:01 am

Quoting Roadrunner165 (Reply 29):
trying to fill their referral quota so they can keep their jobs

Same thing at WAMU. I spent two years at Washington Mutual and as tellers we were required to refer a set amount of products each month. How many referrals a particular branch's teller had in a given month was a vital component of the bank's formula for determining which individual branches were profitable or unprofitable.

After reading your post it sounds like you are blaming the tellers though and I don't agree with that. The tellers can't help having ulterior motives, they have to refer products or risk their job security.

Quoting Roadrunner165 (Reply 29):
Bottom line in my opinion is that the average customer is of little importance to any large commercial bank, we are mere numbers to them.

To a certain extent yes, I would agree with your statement however if a given customer has a checking, savings, retirement, auto loan, mortgage, etc. all together with one bank, said customer becomes more important to the bank.

Having said that, the bank still has you by the cojones because they know no matter how bad they treat you, switching banks is very time consuming and many customers will not go through that hassle.

In the end, the bank ALWAYS wins  Smile

jafa39

Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:38 am

Quoting PanAm330 (Thread starter):
Who Do You Bank With?

Nigerian Bank of International Commerce:

I am just waiting for them to transfer 2.5 million USD that I am helping to move from a Govt contract for them.

Fees are a bit steep but they seem like a nice bunch of guys
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

CaptainJon

Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:48 am

I agree that Bank of America is awful. I am thinking of changing as well. How is TD Banknorth in the New York metropolitan area? I am also lazy when it comes to changing since all my loans/credit cards/mobile phone/etc all has auto-deduction and my direct deposit from work. I've done a switch-a-roo one too many times and I hate doing it each time!

MCOflyer

Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:54 am

Quoting JBLUA320 (Reply 13):
I bank with Wachovia

Same here and it sucks for no weekend service. Other than that, the best I've come across.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

Alias1024

Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:13 am

Bank of America, and I've had zero problems with them. They have more branches and ATMs than anyone else, which has been nice since I have lived in Northwest, Southwest, and Southeast in the last five years. The agreements to waive ATM fees for some international banks are nice too.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

MCOflyer

Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:00 pm

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 38):
The agreements to waive ATM fees for some international banks are nice too.

I would enjoy that.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

Palladium

Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:05 pm

The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation

ABN AMRO BANK

US BANK

Wink

tz757300

Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:08 pm

LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

corey07850

Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:32 pm

Bank: Wachovia

Credit Cards: Citi/Bank of America

Money Market Account: ING

mhodgson

Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:42 pm

In the UK I use HSBC as my main account, though also have a Nationwide savings account.

I also opened a Chase account when I got here as I was concerned about fees from my two UK accounts - though as it happens Nationwide don't charge me any fees or commission if I use my Visa card, so it was a pointless exercise!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

NWADC9

Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:55 pm

PNCBank

filler
filler
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

LH423

Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:56 pm

When I lived in the US, I used Bank Of America. I had no problems with them. In Canada I use Scotiabank. I find some of their rules a little rigid but then again that has to do with standards across the Canadian banking system. Canadian banks seem to be more conservative than some of their American counterparts.

Do any Canadians use PC Financial Services? It's an electronic bank set up by PC (President's Choice) through CIBC. It's completely electronic so there's no tellers, but at the same level there are also no fees. My roommate tried to get me to do that but I have to say after it took Scotia FOUR BUSINESS DAYS (!) to process a CASH deposit I made at an ATM, I'm content to go to a teller for deposits, especially cash deposits which should be made immediately available, not almost a week (4 business days plus sat and sun). Ok, I can accept over night, maybe even two business days before cash is made available, but four? No thanks. I'll go to a tell.

Anyone have experiences with electronic banks?

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

SouthwestMDW

Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:52 pm

I bank at First Midwest Bank. Smaller bank in Northern Illinois. I don't really like it and keep thinking about changing but I never do. I have a First Midwest Bank Check Card as well as my only credit card.

melpax

Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:03 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 35):
Nigerian Bank of International Commerce:

I am just waiting for them to transfer 2.5 million USD that I am helping to move from a Govt contract for them.

Fees are a bit steep but they seem like a nice bunch of guys

LOL!!!!!
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

bagoldex

Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:50 am

Banks: Bank of America, Citi, U. S. Trust, Boston Private Bank & Trust, HSBC Bank of Bermuda

Cards: Citi Visa, AMEX, Diner's Club

Fly747

Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:13 am

Quoting LH423 (Reply 45):
Do any Canadians use PC Financial Services? It's an electronic bank set up by PC (President's Choice) through CIBC.

I don't use it, but have tried in the past. They're junk to say the least. I'd rather pay my $13 a month (or whatever it is) and have a full service bank and tellers available, not some incompetent morons at the Superstore. Stay away from an "all electronic" services.

Ivan