A332
Topic Author

Church Learns Vet Was Gay, Cancels Memorial

Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:57 am

Texas congregation acted out of principle, not malice, pastor says

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20221295/

What an absolute disgrace! It never ceases to amaze me how cold and callous Christians can be.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

ClassicLover

RE: Church Learns Vet Was Gay, Cancels Memorial

Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:01 am

Quoting A332 (Thread starter):
What an absolute disgrace! It never ceases to amaze me how cold and callous Christians can be.

They're still human even if they are church going. They're no better than any other people in the world. They just happen to go to Church, which thanks to hundreds of years of propoganda, people think is some kind of "good" thing.

Then again, it was Texas, bastion of all that's fair, good, and democratic with the world  Yeah sure
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

bagoldex

Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:07 am

Shocking, The Flat Earth Society strikes again. When will these fanatical christians figure it out?

AeroWesty

Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:16 am

I guess now it's okay not to "support the troops" on principle either, seeing as how the deceased was a combat veteran.
International Homo of Mystery

Falcon84

Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:19 am

So much for following Christ's example of "love one another, as I have loved you."

It shows again the two-faced character of far too many so-called Christians, who don't have the decency to honor a man who served his country in wartime, and who served it honorably. Unfortunately, many of them can't see beyond their own prejudices and honor the man for his service.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Boeing744

Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:21 am

This is really horrible. The man seemed like an honourable guy, and served his country proudly.
How can the church truely feel alright with turning his family down?

The article mentioned the "mega-church" was non-denominational. Does that mean they were evangelicals in disguise?

smcmac32msn

Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:28 am

Quoting Boeing744 (Reply 5):
Does that mean they were evangelicals in disguise?

In another story I read, it said: "The nondenominational church is led by the Rev. Gary Simons, the brother-in-law of televangelist Joel Osteen." What a crock of shit that is to that family.

http://www.365gay.com/Newscon07/08/081007service.htm
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

TheCol

Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:04 am

It never ceases to amaze me how cold and callous Christians can be.

Yes, because we are all like that.  Yeah sure
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

ConcordeBoy

Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:06 am

Quoting Boeing744 (Reply 5):
The article mentioned the "mega-church" was non-denominational. Does that mean they were evangelicals in disguise?

Correct.

"Full-Gospel" is another such term, which basically describes Southern Baptists who choose not to formally associate with the Southern Baptist movement/convention.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

stlgph

Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:33 am

visit their website, drop them a line. and perhaps comment that this pastor is just a bit "gay" looking.

if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

ConcordeBoy

Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:45 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 9):
this pastor is just a bit "gay" looking

egad, that's like sayin' the damn Pope is just a bit catholic-looking!  Wow!

Falcon84

Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:26 am

visit their website, drop them a line. and perhaps comment that this pastor is just a bit "gay" looking.

Already did that. I left out the "gay" part.  Big grin
Work Right, Fly Hard

Duff44

Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:38 am

Christians are not cold and callous. Only those that bastardize it for their own slanted reasons (like these dimwits) are cold and callous.

You could say the same thing about Islam and terrorists... (not to start another argument)

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 4):
So much for following Christ's example of "love one another, as I have loved you."

I deliberately distance myself from churches because I don't believe they do that.
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

jpetekyxmd80

Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:47 am

Quoting TheCol (Reply 7):
It never ceases to amaze me how cold and callous Christians can be.

Yes, because we are all like that. Yeah sure

Can be, the key word. Nowhere is it insinuated that all Christians are cold and callous...don't know where you get that.

But yes, completely despicable, yet sadly unsurprising considering the source.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

aloges

Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:47 am

Does this go to show that mega-churches are an industry catering to their customers just like every other business? Each time I read or hear about these immense buildings with their Vegas-like show equipment I can't help thinking that they've got as much to do with the teachings of Jesus as a four-cheese pizza.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

ShyFlyer

Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:33 am

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 13):
Nowhere is it insinuated that all Christians are cold and callous...don't know where you get that.

The statement lacked the qualifier "some" or "a few."
I lift things up and put them down.

Dougloid

Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:39 am

Jeez....you ain't kiddin. I'm straight but he's cute....What If I call him up and tell him just looking at those $3,000 teeth makes me wanna switch, I'm comin' out of the closet, and he's to blame for leadin' me into a life of sin and debauchery?

devil   devil   devil 
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

SlamClick

Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:47 am

Something similar happened at a cemetary near here. A soldier was killed in Afghanistan and his widow could not get the symbol of his religion (Wicca) on his tombstone. I think it has been resolved by now but the original story is here:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12979013/

In my opinion, dead is all a person needs, to be honored in church or graveyard.

If their life was not worthy of praise then that will probably be reflected in who or how many show up to honor them. Not the church's business, not the cemetary's business.

I do wonder, though, why the survivors want this guy honored in a church that despises his lifestyle as sinful.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

GDB

Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:52 am

Yet again, the Christian version of fundamentalism, shows how close it is to the Islamic kind, which these so called 'Christians' no doubt profess to hate and fear so much.
Mind you, if they were not around, they still would not be short of things to hate and fear.

DeltaAVL

Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:53 am

While I agree that what this church did was absolutely ridiculous and undeniably cruel to the family, I'd like to point out that not all Christians are like this. There are actually many Christians in full support of homosexuality, abortion, et cetera. Like me.

I wouldn't generalize Christians in such a way. It's just like any other big organization. Everyone is going to have different beliefs, with some holding the majority over others.
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

AeroWesty

Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:55 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 17):
I do wonder, though, why the survivors want this guy honored in a church that despises his lifestyle as sinful.

I believe it's a simple matter of being honored in a church, not by the particular church. The church itself is non-denominational and offered to hold the service initially due to the deceased's brother being an employee there.

SlamClick

Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:00 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 18):
Yet again, the Christian version of fundamentalism, shows how close it is to the Islamic kind

Exactly right! And the "how close" is not very.
As in light years apart!
How can you possibly compare "he was an unrepentant sinner and cannot be consecrated in our church" with death by stoning as would be quite likely in Iran? In fact I think that sort of ill-considered hyperbolic rhetoric more to be expected of Ahmadinejad than an educated, enlightened westerner.

aloges

Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:12 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 21):
As in light years apart!

Would be nice if it were.

http://www.matthewsplace.com/
http://www.godhatesfags.com/

Of course it's not the same calibre as the death penalty for being homosexual, but it's far from "light years apart" as well.

GDB

Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:17 am

Slam Click, easy, if those from that church could do what goes on in Iran, they would.

And every day, every hour, every second, they in the US, from this church, from the whole massive 'Big Faith' industry (a term I think fair to differentiate from the majority of Christians not like them), are working remorselessly to subvert your Constitution, to teach anti science irrationality in schools, to one day arrive at somewhere like theocratic Iran.

They almost certainly won't succeed, but they do all they can to get as close as possible, you have at least 10's of million's dedicated to this, they (largely since 1980) vote, they have supporters in high political office, your current President has, at times, paid lip service to some of their mad ideas, implemented some of them in some areas of policy, even if, in private, it is said that he thinks they are kooks.
Since they have a very powerful influence of the GOP.

Name me one other Western democracy with anything like that?
No 'museums' showing dinosaurs living with humans outside of the Southern US.

SlamClick

Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:26 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 22):

You sir, are a poor judge of distance.

Get serious. This is for real - homosexuals are liable to be stoned to death in some countries. That is not some theoretical possibility. Not something that happened a thousand years ago in some land we can no longer find on a map. Real world. Today. Fairly high probability.

And you would compare that with not permitting burial in the church.

A very poor judge of distance.

Oh, the first link leads to a down-indefinitely site that does not shed much light on their beliefs.

The second one is a widely known bad joke. No on could possibly think that band of loonies represent modern Christianity in any way. They have been denounced far and wide for what they are - a bunch of fascists hiding behind the freedom-of-religion protections. They are an unfortunate by-product of our freedoms. It is our privilege to despise them and our duty to shine the brightest possible light upon them, that all might see them for the cockroaches that they are. Your reference to them sheds absolutely no light on this discussion.

No one is trying to deny that there are lunatics among us but get real!

Death by stoning.
Shunning and bad words said about you.

And you think these are nearly equal.

Which would you prefer? Be honest now, this is for posterity.

aloges

Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:36 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 24):
That is not some theoretical possibility.

I never said it was.

And you would compare that with not permitting burial in the church.

I did not:

Of course it's not the same calibre as the death penalty for being homosexual

That is the opposite of a comparison.

Oh, the first link leads to a down-indefinitely site that does not shed much light on their beliefs.

It is a website on a homosexual young man who was murdered for being gay. His name was Matthew Shepard and his case was the first result of a Google search for "homosexual lynched".

The second one is a widely known bad joke. No on could possibly think that band of loonies represent modern Christianity in any way.

You are correct, but as much as Ahmadinejad represents "Muslim" loonies, Phelps represents "Christian" loonies. That's what I was going for, a comparison of fundamentalists.

Death by stoning.
Shunning and bad words said about you.

And you think these are nearly equal.

As I said, the opposite is the case. The big difference is that in some countries, "Muslim" fundamentalists are still having their ways, which fortunately is a thing of the past for, I daresay, all "Christian" fundamentalists. But that doesn't change the very similar natures of both kinds of fundamentalism.

Edit, just in case someone is uncomfortable with the examples from the US: Dep. Mayor Calls For Gay 'ethnic Cleansing' (by Dtwclipper Aug 11 2007 in Non Aviation)

[Edited 2007-08-12 00:48:39]

SlamClick

Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:55 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 23):
No 'museums' showing dinosaurs living with humans outside of the Southern US.

Uh huh! In Europe there is one just like it that claims that the world is made of Legos!!!!!

Get a little perspective here. The Museum you speak of http://www.creationmuseum.org/ is private. They can show anything they want, even if it involves Fred Flintstone. If you were to suggest that it be prohibited YOU would be the fundamentalist fascist extremist.

Quoting GDB (Reply 23):
if those from that church could do what goes on in Iran, they would.

And you know this how?

Frankly your unsupported accusations alarm me more than anything that church has done. You've declared them potential murderers. How far is it from that decision to planting a preemptive bomb?

Quoting GDB (Reply 23):
are working remorselessly to subvert your Constitution

Well why not? Capitalism is, so far, making more progress than churches are at making me a serf in my own country. They get reduced postage, breaks on taxes, access to Presidents and Senators, the right to appoint their own governmental regulators, immunity from prosecution (think Bhopal) and on ad nauseum. Why is no one worrying about WalMart and a hundred others?

Worst of all there are so many people in this country who draw a government check that the remainder of us could not possibly out-vote them. And you are worried about the silly little churches?

Oh, LDS and Scientology probably have more money than all Christian churches combined, excluding the Catholic Church and they are not even Christian. Worry about something new.

SlamClick

Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:57 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 25):
the opposite of a comparison.

Perhaps.

But...

Would be nice if it were.

...is a negation of what I said. Put another way - you place stoning light years closer to shunning than I do.

aloges

Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:57 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 27):
Put another way - you place stoning light years closer to shunning than I do.

It's murder and Fred Phelps' "church" that I place close to stoning, not shunning.

ConcordeBoy

Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:53 am

johnboy

Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:17 pm

Actually I encourage this type of behavior on the part of these so-called "loving" Christian communities.

The more atrocious their behavior, the more the naked truth of their utter contempt for those unlike themselves is showcased for the world to see.

Perhaps their motto should, "Who Would Jesus Hate?"

GDB

Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:34 pm

Touched a nerve did I?
Face it, the US, fairly or not, is fast getting a reputation for large scale fundamentalism.

A potential British PM does NOT have to declare that he/she believes in god, nor does he/she have to declare doubts about evolution-WTF?

Want to compare a theme park for kids based on a well known toy, that does not profess to be anything but entertainment, with the well funded move towards irrationality and false science of the US fundamentalists?
That sounds like denial.

Interesting link from Italy from that Northern League mayor, that party are neo facist, I think that many of the fundamentalists in the US, are of a similar ilk deep down.

I also know that there is no large scale fundamentalist media here, (yes we do have multi channel TV and the all the rest).
Because there is no market for it.

graphic

Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:47 pm

I'm actually gonna have to side with the church on this one...unless freedom of religion doesn't apply in america anymore.

...They are still free to practice their own religion, right? If so, then they have every right to refuse to do a funeral service showing pictures that go against said church's religion.
Demand Media fails at life

kalakaua

Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:50 pm

"A megachurch canceled a memorial service for a Navy veteran 24 hours before it was to start because the deceased was gay."

What a FLAKE!

"Texas congregation acted out of principle, not malice, pastor says"

I beg to differ.
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

AeroWesty

Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:09 am

Quoting Graphic (Reply 32):
...They are still free to practice their own religion, right? If so, then they have every right to refuse to do a funeral service showing pictures that go against said church's religion.

Certainly they are, which is why I have difficulties with tax-exempt status for churches. Let them believe anything they want, but pay their taxes for that right.

767Lover

Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:16 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 34):
Certainly they are, which is why I have difficulties with tax-exempt status for churches. Let them believe anything they want, but pay their taxes for that right.

Totally agree. I am tired of huge parcels of expensive land being used without payment for the infrastructure. I think there was a need for that exemption long ago, but now with the increasing wealth of the population as a whole, churches should now be able to afford paying taxes.

That really sucks about this vet's funeral. I doubt he would he have wanted the service there anyway, but that doesn't excuse the church's behavior.

GDB

Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:39 am

Wasn't Scientology born out of that non taxable status, by that hack author and fraud who started it?

AeroWesty

Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:43 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 36):
Wasn't Scientology born out of that non taxable status

All religions are given tax-exempt status within the U.S. as long as they conform to a few simple rules (such as not taking a political stand). In fact, in Oregon, a non-discrimination law was just passed, outlawing discrimination based on sexual orientation in hiring and rental property. The only ones exempt? Churches, synagogues, and mosques. Yet, they're still tax-free in this state. A disgrace.

SlamClick

Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:43 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 34):
I have difficulties with tax-exempt status for churches.

I vaguely recall a comment in a Poli-Sci class (ages ago) about a court ruling that churches were tax exempt only in the area of those activities that are traditionally regarded as the business of a church. Specifically it concerned Christian Brothers Brandy which was owned at the time by a religious order. Court apparently ruled that while making brandy for one's own consumption might have been a tradition among monks, owning a giant distillery with fleets of trucks and a distribution/marketing apparatus like they had was business and, thus, taxable.

Anyone know more about this than I do? (seems likely)

Now I believe that the IRS actually fears he legal armada of certain churches that I am afraid to mention by name.  Wow!

AeroWesty

Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:55 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 38):
Court apparently ruled that while making brandy for one's own consumption might have been a tradition among monks, owning a giant distillery with fleets of trucks and a distribution/marketing apparatus like they had was business and, thus, taxable.

I believe you're correct on that tangent--a "non-profit" I worked for at one time paid taxes on any income derived from business activity not related to the core purpose of the organization. The business of religion is still a substantial one, and one in which is afforded many exemptions and special privileges simply due to it having a "faith".

ShyFlyer

Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:19 am

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 35):
churches should now be able to afford paying taxes.

What about the churches that can't? Not all are the mega-churches everyone likes to slam. Take the church I attend for example, after paying utilities and the Pastor's wages, we have next to nothing.
I lift things up and put them down.

Halcyon

Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:38 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 39):

Sometimes I go to a church with 13 people. We meet in a house to discuss our faith. Many, many churches are not businesses.

stlgph

Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:44 am

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 40):
Take the church I attend for example, after paying utilities and the Pastor's wages, we have next to nothing.

didn't Jesus live meagerly?
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

767Lover

Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:55 am

Quoting Halcyon (Reply 41):
Sometimes I go to a church with 13 people. We meet in a house to discuss our faith. Many, many churches are not businesses.

If you're meeting in someone's home, property taxes are a moot point.

RobertNL070

Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:56 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 37):
In fact, in Oregon, a non-discrimination law was just passed, outlawing discrimination based on sexual orientation in hiring and rental property. The only ones exempt? Churches, synagogues, and mosques.

Strange. Very strange. So one rule for one and another rule for others (?) If a pastor (or an imam, or a rabbi) wishes to generate extra income by renting a surplus living space, then he can exclude a potential tenant on the grounds of his/her sexual proclivities?

Robert
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

Halcyon

Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:59 am

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 43):

And if we got land to go on? The point is that not all churches are businesses...

AeroWesty

Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:23 am

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 44):
If a pastor (or an imam, or a rabbi) wishes to generate extra income by renting a surplus living space, then he can exclude a potential tenant on the grounds of his/her sexual proclivities?

The pertinent parts of the new law reads:

(3) It is not an unlawful practice for a bona fide church
or other religious institution to take any action with respect to
housing or the use of facilities based on a bona fide religious
belief about sexual orientation as long as the housing or the use
of facilities is closely connected with or related to the primary
purposes of the church or institution and is not connected with a
commercial or business activity that has no necessary
relationship to the church or institution.

(4) It is not an unlawful employment practice for a bona fide
church or other religious institution, including but not limited
to a school, hospital or church camp, to prefer an employee, or
an applicant for employment, of one religious sect or persuasion
over another if:

(a) The religious sect or persuasion to which the employee or
applicant belongs is the same as that of the church or
institution;

(b) In the opinion of the church or institution, the preference
will best serve the purposes of the church or institution; and

(c) The employment involved is closely connected with or
related to the primary purposes of the church or institution and
is not connected with a commercial or business activity that has
no necessary relationship to the church or institution.

(5) It is not an unlawful employment practice for a bona fide
church or other religious institution to take any employment
action based on a bona fide religious belief about sexual
orientation:

(a) In employment positions directly related to the operation
of a church or other place of worship, such as clergy, religious
instructors and support staff;

(b) In employment positions in a nonprofit religious school,
nonprofit religious camp, nonprofit religious day care center,
nonprofit religious thrift store, nonprofit religious bookstore,
nonprofit religious radio station or nonprofit religious shelter;
or

(c) In other employment positions that involve religious
activities, as long as the employment involved is closely
connected with or related to the primary purposes of the church
or institution and is not connected with a commercial or business
activity that has no necessary relationship to the church or
institution.

767Lover

Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:33 am

[quote=Halcyon,reply=45]

If you purchase land to meet on, I don't see any reason not to pay property tax. What if I start opening my home to Alzheimer's support groups---should I be allowed to stop paying property tax? Where do you draw the line?

Anyway, relax. I am not really advocating the government ekeing a few dollars out of some little community church of 13 people called Heaven's Glory. I am talking about a reform of the tax code where large churches are involved. Churches with buildings, parking lots, sewer lines, traffic signs, etc.

TheCol

Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:41 am

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 40):
What about the churches that can't? Not all are the mega-churches everyone likes to slam. Take the church I attend for example, after paying utilities and the Pastor's wages, we have next to nothing.

Most churches tend to be in that position. Any surpluses usually go to much needed renovations or projects overseas.

Quoting STLGph (Reply 42):
didn't Jesus live meagerly?

That's the point.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 37):
All religions are given tax-exempt status within the U.S. as long as they conform to a few simple rules (such as not taking a political stand). In fact, in Oregon, a non-discrimination law was just passed, outlawing discrimination based on sexual orientation in hiring and rental property. The only ones exempt? Churches, synagogues, and mosques. Yet, they're still tax-free in this state. A disgrace.

Haven't we been over this before?
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

AeroWesty

Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:43 am

Quoting TheCol (Reply 48):
Haven't we been over this before?

So what if we have? I was responding to a member's question.