ShannoninAMA
Topic Author

Favorite Late Night Show Host?

Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:48 pm

While watching A few of them tonight, it got me wondering....which of them is your favorite? There are many of them, but the main three seem to be

• Jay Leno
  • David Letterman
  • Conan O'Brien

So, which is your favorite? Id have to say Conan is my favorite here. The others are funny, but Conan For some reason seems to make things sound funnier  Smile

Shan Big grin
Shipwreck alert. Head on over to Airspaceonline.com.

September11

RE: Favorite Late Night Show Host?

Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:50 pm

Jay Leno, all the way

Nite  Smile
Airliners.net of the Future

FighterPilot

Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:51 pm

Conan, hands down.

Leno's "Headlines" are funny, but nothing compared to "In the year 2000..." and "Walker Texas Ranger Lever."

Cal  airplane 
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

fxramper

Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:56 pm

S12PPL

Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:01 pm

I don't really watch the Tonight Show, or the Late Show... I like Leno and Letterman pretty equal. I think Letterman's skits are more original.... And his band guy isn't stoned out of his mind all the time.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

AirTranTUS

Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:53 pm

I prefer Leno.

Letterman was cheap in copying Headlines and renaming it "Small Town News." Guess he saw a segment that was great and decided he had to have it. It isn't as good though.
I love ASO!

JBo

Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:23 pm

You left out Craig Ferguson!

On Letterman vs. Leno, I prefer Leno ... some of his jokes are silly, but I do enjoy Headlines and some of his other segments.

On Conan vs. Craig, it's a split. Conan is hilarious ... but on the occasions I catch Craig, he's also quite funny.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

thepilot

Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:12 pm

Jon Stewart, of course. I have watched a little of Leno and Letterman, none of Conan, but YouTube has really expanded the popularity of Craig Ferguson. They are all quite funny.
From YVR

KROC

Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:07 pm

Letterman by a long shot. Since I also listen to Howard Stern, I don't need to watch Leno steal his bits and material then do a shitty job using them on his own.

aa61hvy

Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:11 pm

Conan for sure. I don't thin I've heard Letterman ever make a funny joke.
Go big or go home

United_fan

Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:12 pm

Leno for sure,I've had the pleasure of going to 3 tapings and had a blast.
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

stlgph

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:14 am

Letterman.

followed by Craig Ferguson.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

airwave

Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:47 am

Without a doubt, Conan. He has the best characters, running gags, and is the most believable (even approachable) host. And I always love watching his left elbow kick out right before a monologue joke punchline!  Smile

Leno's alright before he attempts to interact with his guests; after that he's a lost cause. Letterman I can't stand. I do like Craig Ferguson, but I can't stop visualizing his show as some weird spin-off of his Drew Carey Show character, Mr. Wick...

Very glad to see that nobody has yet mentioned (or supported) Jimmy Kimmel or Carson Daly.  Yeah sure
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

dsmflyer

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:02 am

Letterman. Went to a taping in New York last year, it was awesome.

Conan is a close second.

Duff44

Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:36 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 8):
Letterman by a long shot. Since I also listen to Howard Stern, I don't need to watch Leno steal his bits and material then do a shitty job using them on his own.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

Been to Letterman twice:
March 16, 1998: Emma Thompson, Alex Zanardi (I'm a HUGE racing fan), Willie Nelson & Emmylou Harris
Later in 1998: Will Smith, Jungle Jack Hanna

Conan once:
January 31, 2001: Chyna (former WWE wrestler), Tracy Morgan, Wanda Sykes

On the trip to see Conan, I met both Will Ferrell and Tom Brokaw just walking around 30 Rock

Leno sucks... can't wait till he retires so Conan will be on earlier.
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

Boston92

Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:42 am

Best Guests: ..................................................Leno
Best Sidekick Band: .......................................Letterman, Leno
Funniest: .......................................................Conan
Best Interviews: .............................................. Leno
Best Scetch: .................................................Conan
Who do I watch at 11:35? ................................Leno
12:35?........................................................... Conan
Best Monolouges: .........................................Letterman
Who would I like to most see in person? ...........Leno
Favorite Segment: ...........................................Headlines (Leno)
Most original: ..................................................Conan (Hands down)
Best Musical Guests: ..................................... uhh, none

That pretty much sums up what I think
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

AirframeAS

Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:53 am

Who I would pick the most would probably be Conan. He is just a great 'actor' and totally hilarious.

Leno...he isn't a very good comedian. His jokes are just...dry & totally unoriginal. Makes no sense to me, he can't even come up with his own material (I know that most of the jokes comes from viewers, so do the other late night shows do the same). I don't like how NBC hired Leno and passed over Letterman, that really drew the line for me. Letterman deserved to host the Tonight Show more than Leno at the time. Its a good think Letterman bolted to CBS, his NBC jokes, you gotta admit, are pretty original!

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 4):
I think Letterman's skits are more original....

checkmark  I totally agree! Nothing beats that hands down!

My final vote: Letterman vs. Conan. Oh, I cannot decide!
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Boston92

Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:55 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 16):
Leno...he isn't a very good comedian.

Actually, I have seen Leno in a stand up (not the tonight show) and he is actually very good at stand up...and very funny.
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

LTU932

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:07 pm

In exact order:

1. Harald Schmidt, the host of the late night show "Harald Schmidt" on ARD (German Public Television). I saw him a lot when he still hosted the "Harald-Schmidt-Show" on private network SAT 1, before his sabbatical and switching to ARD.

2. Jay Leno. I simply can't watch Letterman, I don't know why. I simply prefer to watch Leno.

3. Craig Ferguson. There's something about a Scotsman bringing his humour on US television. I hardly see the show, but the times I've seen it, the show was pretty nice (I usually skip the interviews and watch mostly just the monologues on any late night show).

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:56 pm

Leno, without a doubt. I love Headlines and Jaywalking. The Bush impersonator (Steven Bridges, I think is his name) is great, as are many of his other "interviews". I watch Leno every night while at college before heading to bed. It allows me to end every day on a good note, regardless of how the actual day was.

Letterman's humor is too dry for me, though I will say his Top-Ten's are pretty funny. Not looking forward to when Leno leaves because I feel like Conan is more like Letterman than Leno.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

N1120A

Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:04 pm

I have been a Letterman fan for years, particularly since he came to CBS, however, he has been surpassed for me by Craig Ferguson. He is incredibly funny, much more unscripted and doesn't try and cover up his accent, instead using it to his comedic advantage. His show doesn't follow the same formula as the other 3, plus he has great music.

Leno sucks and has always sucked. I damn near cried every time he used to sub for Johnny and NBC screwed the pooch when they screwed Letterman out of his dream job. Leno is a damn good stand-up, but his show has never been good.

On the other hand, Conan is funny, but his show just gets too incredibly weird for me.

Quoting STLGph (Reply 11):
Letterman.

followed by Craig Ferguson.

Hmm, someone must work for a CBS affiliate  Silly

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 15):
Best Musical Guests: ..................................... uhh, none

You must not watch Craig then. Ferguson himself is a musician and he brings on a lot of the avant garde rock groups that Letterman had on his old show on NBC.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

AirframeAS

Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:01 am

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 17):
Actually, I have seen Leno in a stand up (not the tonight show) and he is actually very good at stand up...and very funny.

Explain why he needed the late Johnny Carson's help coming up with really good punch-lines when Leno took over?  scratchchin 
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

max999

Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:01 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 20):
Leno sucks and has always sucked. I damn near cried every time he used to sub for Johnny and NBC screwed the pooch when they screwed Letterman out of his dream job. Leno is a damn good stand-up, but his show has never been good.

I think Carson chose Letterman as his designated replacement until NBC overrode that decision and hired Leno instead.

Letterman's humor is quirkier and more sophisticated than Leno. Leno's humor is more main stream and so I think NBC chose him because they wanted someone who could could more easily connect with TV audiences. I think NBC got what they wanted since Leno consistently beats Letterman in ratings.

But when it comes down to humor quality, Letterman beats Leno by a long shot.

As for the interviews, Letterman is better, too. He's not afraid to ask the 'tough' questions while Leno just wants to keep his guests happy. That's why Letterman always jokes that certain celebrities refuse to go on his show.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

Kovi17

Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:13 am

Definaly conan obrian

We dont worry about small things like that...

don81603

Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:22 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 4):
And his band guy isn't stoned out of his mind all the time.

You obviously don't know Schaffer very well. He was the biggest stoner in high school, and how he ever graduated is anyone's guess.

For my money, Leno, Mike Bullard (off the air now) then those other guys.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

FlyDeltaJets87

Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:30 am

Quoting Max999 (Reply 22):
As for the interviews, Letterman is better, too. He's not afraid to ask the 'tough' questions while Leno just wants to keep his guests happy. That's why Letterman always jokes that certain celebrities refuse to go on his show.

Just my opinion of course, but I don't want to watch one of the late night shows for any serious, "tough" interview. There's Larry King, Meet the Press, 60 Minutes, etc. for all that. I watch the late shows for laughs at the end of the day.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

WestJetYQQ

Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:58 am

Craig Ferguson is really the only one I ever watch, and I watch him almost every night.

Cheers
Carson
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

diamond

Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:59 am

1. Leno

2. Conan (upstages his guests, needs too much attention on himself)

3. Letterman (depressed, sarcastic, bitter)

I notice a huge difference between L.A. shows and NYC shows. The vibe is completely different. So being in L.A., I prefer the higher energy and brigher look of Leno's show.
Blank.

austinairport

Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:32 am

Quoting JBo (Reply 6):

Yes Thank You I was about to say something.

Quoting WestJetYQQ (Reply 26):
Craig Ferguson is really the only one I ever watch, and I watch him almost every night

Me too. I love when he says something stupid after a commercial break. "Welcome Back My.............Filthy....Pigeons". Or my favorite one "Welcome back my...Naughty Hamsters" ROFL!
Whoever said you can do anything you set your mind to has obviously never tried to slam a revolving door!!!

zanl188

Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:26 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 25):
Just my opinion of course, but I don't want to watch one of the late night shows for any serious, "tough" interview. There's Larry King, Meet the Press, 60 Minutes, etc. for all that.

Larry King a "tough" interview? ROFLMAO. Larry is a soft touch.... Letterman can hold his own in a tough interview if need be....
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Boston92

Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:43 am

Quoting AustinAirport (Reply 28):
Welcome Back My.............Filthy....Pigeons". Or my favorite one "Welcome back my...Naughty Hamsters" ROFL!

Gee...he's a crack-up  Yeah sure

Big grin

deltagator

Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:48 am

My favorites...

Conan
Jimmy Kimmel
Leno - if I'm bored
Letterman - If I want to gouge out my eyes. He's just not funny anymore.

Quoting Thepilot (Reply 7):
Jon Stewart, of course. I

Not late night.

Quoting JBo (Reply 6):

As well as Jimmy Kimmel

Quoting N1120A (Reply 20):
I damn near cried every time he used to sub for Johnny and NBC screwed the pooch when they screwed Letterman out of his dream job.

You were what....10or so when this happened back in 1992? Of course you cried. You were a kid then.  Wink
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

fxramper

Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:04 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 31):
Jimmy Kimmel

The Roast of Flavor Flav was hysterical.

Disclaimer: If your offended by mature comedy, don't play the video.

[Edited 2007-08-17 20:06:25]

deltagator

Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:24 am

Quoting FXramper (Reply 32):
The Roast of Flavor Flav was hysterical.

Disclaimer: If your offended by mature comedy, don't play the video.

Flava Flav is responsible for more homeless black children than Hurricane Katrina.
Flava Flav is the reason George Bush doesn't like black people.
Chris Benoit makes a better father than Flava Flav

Pure comedic gold!

The collateral damage dished out to the other folks there and even not there (Michael Vick, etc.) is hilarious as well.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

PAHS200

Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:29 am

Jimmy Kimmel

JetBlueAUS

Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:01 am

Leno and Letterman. Its a toss-up really.
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

N1120A

Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:44 am

I think Carson chose Letterman as his designated replacement until NBC overrode that decision and hired Leno instead.

Actually, no he didn't. At the time, NBC controlled all the cards and they are the ones who made any decision. It was Carson's wish to have Dave take over the show, but he never designated anyone. In fact, that was the driving factor behind Leno making it clear that Conan would be taking over for him a couple of years ago.

Letterman's humor is quirkier and more sophisticated than Leno. Leno's humor is more main stream and so I think NBC chose him because they wanted someone who could could more easily connect with TV audiences.

That isn't necessarily true. Letterman actually is the everyman, while Leno is more of a larger than life character, which also has to be looked at.

I think NBC got what they wanted since Leno consistently beats Letterman in ratings.

Actually, Letterman was the ratings winner for quite a while initially. The general consensus is that Leno's lead in ratings are because of the combination of NBC having stronger local newscasts in important markets and his being in L.A. and drawing more celebrities.

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 25):
for any serious, "tough" interview. There's Larry King

rotfl  rotfl 

Larry King doesn't have the balls to ask someone if the sky is blue.

You were what....10or so when this happened back in 1992? Of course you cried.

And you were all of 13? Leno's humor has never pulled me, from childhood into adulthood. He is boring.

deltaownsall

Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:50 am

Letterman is a real nice guy and a pacers fan so i have to respect him, but I very much prefer Leno for the early timeslot. Conan is great as well...he is an extremely smart guy (summa cum laude from harvard, i believe) and thus even wittier than he really lets on in his show (he certainly has to dumb things down and be quite pc for the network).

As for Leno...hes always been my favorite, and as others have mentioned I too love the headlines every monday. I really enjoy the dynamic between jay and kevin eubanks...ive also had the opportunity to see jay's live stand-up act at the mirage in las vegas (hes out there quite a bit), and it was my second favorite live act ive seen after Jerry Seinfeld.

deltagator

Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:20 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 36):
And you were all of 13?

Wrong. You assume way too much that isn't in evidence. I was out of high school while you were barely sprouting pubes. You just go out of your way to sound worldly and knowledgeable of everything in the world when I'm betting your parents were chasing you off to bed 2 hours before Carson or Leno even hit the airwaves.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 36):
Leno's humor has never pulled me, from childhood into adulthood. He is boring.

Here's where we agree. He's bland humor for the masses and not that funny. Letterman on the other hand used to be funny and has sunk into a bitter old age.

N1120A

Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:24 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 38):
I was out of high school while you were barely sprouting pubes.

Cute. Should be a compliment, because you look younger.

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 38):
You just go out of your way to sound worldly and knowledgeable of everything in the world when I'm betting your parents were chasing you off to bed 2 hours before Carson or Leno even hit the airwaves.

People generally agree that I do have a fair range of experience as far as being worldly goes and have a head stuffed full of useless information. Anyway, my parents killed the bed time thing for me much earlier than other kids as well as making a Carson exception on many nights.

deltagator

Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:54 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 39):
Cute. Should be a compliment, because you look younger.

You have no idea what I look like other than possibly a small picture of me in a trip report so the idea I look younger based on that is laughable.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 39):
People generally agree that I do have a fair range of experience as far as being worldly goes and have a head stuffed full of useless information.

No, people believe you have book smarts and an unbending attitude to anything or anyone that doesn't fit your narrow viewpoint of the world. If you have 1/4 the knowledge and experience you claim to have I question why you aren't the all time winner on Jeopardy and currently running for "King of the World" versus getting a law degree from a second tier Southern law school.

But we're getting off topic. Letterman used to be funny, Leno is dull, Conan is hilarious, Kimmel is my favorite, and I might check out the Ferguson chap to see what the fuss is about.

102IAHexpress

Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:32 am

It’s a toss up. Perhaps this should be included in the Hall of great debates, like Canon vs Nikon or Chevy vs Ford.
I like them both.
But Leno is defiantly the ratings winner, thus the Tonight Show is usually the first choice for celebrities, politicians etc… Also, Letterman is not as likable as Leno. You’ll never have the Academy Awards invite Letterman back, for example.

[Edited 2007-08-19 18:35:35]

sandrozrh

Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:28 am

There can only be one, the one that looks like Finland's (female) President.... Conan Big grin

N1120A

Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:32 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 40):

You have no idea what I look like other than possibly a small picture of me in a trip report so the idea I look younger based on that is laughable.

I saw your website. Take it as a compliment.

No, people believe you have book smarts and an unbending attitude to anything or anyone that doesn't fit your narrow viewpoint of the world.

You really have no idea what most people actually think about me, or what my viewpoint is.

versus getting a law degree from a second tier Southern law school.

Actually, I got my law degree from a first tier Southern law school.

Boston92

Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:54 am

No, people believe you have book smarts and an unbending attitude to anything or anyone that doesn't fit your narrow viewpoint of the world.

checkmark 

Quoting N1120A (Reply 43):
You really have no idea what most people actually think about me, or what my viewpoint is

Cmon man...Most of your posts have the snobby "You are a stupid shit and I know way more than you do" attitude. Huh, I though you knew.  Yeah sure