aero145

Could Anyone Help Me With My New IMac?

Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:51 am

Hello guys!

I just got a new iMac today, amongst a 20" Cinema display.

I calibrated the Cinema screen for photo editing and viewing, but there has a huge problem come now.

Most of the things that should be white (the fields where you write your username, password and thread title for example) are black. So, to see what I wrote for the thread title I had to "select all" to see what I wrote. This has happened because of the calibration, but I wonder why the calibration caused this. This is very annoying, as there's very little I can do now.  

So, any extreme Mac-guru (Klaus for example    ) that cares to help me? If you need a screenshot, you have to tell me how I do it as I don't have Windows' "Paint" and I haven't got Photoshop CS3 yet (and I haven't learnt how to take a screenshot in MacOS  ).

Many thanks,

David 

PS: And also, most of the things that should be black have a "256 colours craziness" 'look'. And, when you put the volume "up and down", there is a 256 colour 'thing' there too. Ahhh, I have to screenshoot this.

[Edited 2007-08-17 23:53:24]

AeroWesty

RE: Could Anyone Help Me With My New IMac?

Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:56 am

To take a screenshot on a Mac, hold down the CMD-SHIFT-3 keys, and you'll hear a camera click. To select an area to take a screenshot of, hold down the CMD-SHIFT-4 keys, and your cursor will change to crosshairs to allow you to draw an area. Look for "Picture 1.png", "Picture 2.png" etc. on your desktop as the result.
International Homo of Mystery

Klaus

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:19 pm

Quoting Aero145 (Thread starter):
So, any extreme Mac-guru (Klaus for example  rotfl  ) that cares to help me?

Hey! I resemble that remark!  eyebrow 

If it's due to the calibration, it would not show up in a screenshot, because that would show the uncalibrated image.

If you select one of the predefined colour setups in the Displays control panel, does the effect go away again?

From the sound of it, it could very well be a screwed-up colour calibration...

aero145

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:47 pm

Hi guys!

Now, as Klaus said, the effect wouldn't come in the screenshot.

But...

Now, I have the cinema display in the calibrated profile, works like charm. The iMac is in the iMac profile.
I tried the Adobe RGB profile in the iMac and it looked exactly the same as the calibrated one, "collapsed".

At least, I'm satisified now. The photo screen is calibrated, and that's what I need.  Smile

Ty!

D

Klaus

Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:17 pm

Maybe you should retry the calibration... maybe a misunderstanding has led to the profile coming out wrong in the end.

Quoting Aero145 (Reply 3):
I tried the Adobe RGB profile in the iMac and it looked exactly the same as the calibrated one, "collapsed".

That, on the other hand, does not look normal.

What is the colour depth set to ("Colors:" in the control panel)? It should always be "Millions" for every screen nowadays.