treeny

USA Visa Waiver Question

Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:00 am

All

I am writing this as a last resort real I am as I can not find a single resource to find the answer to this question.

Note that I am British and hold a British passport so I am fully aware of the ins and outs of the VWP - what I am saying is that there is no need for you guys (if you decide to respond of course) spending time finding VWP info which is all I have been sent from the American Emabassey

The situation is like this:- My wife has an Italian passport which is machine readable BUT expired in 2003. The Italian Embassey to renew the passport validity did so with a stamp and signature on another page until July 2008.

Now my question is - would she be able to use this passport to enter the USA under the VWP? Although the passport technically complies to the VWP scheme my thoughts are that immigration could decline it because I dont know what info is stored in the machine readable bit - would it when passed say expired 2003 and would they except the renewel stamp?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks all

Mark

IFEMaster

RE: USA Visa Waiver Question

Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:36 am

They'll accept the renewal stamp if that's the way the Italian government renew their passports. They accepted my I-551 stamp when my green card expired. I don't see how this stamp is any different. However, she should probably apply for a new machine readable passport as soon as possible.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

treeny

RE: USA Visa Waiver Question

Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:26 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 1):
However, she should probably apply for a new machine readable passport as soon as possible.

Agreed - Just asking in case we needed to travel.

Thanks for the comment - v useful