flyf15

Successful Countries Not Involved With US

Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:42 am

The way that the US interacts with so much across the world got me to thinking. What countries out there are successful but have little to no interaction with the US? Trade, financial, military, etc.

Of course, I am not trying to imply that the many successful countries across the world depend on the US, but most of them do interact with the US greatly.

To further the question, are there any successful countries out there that don't have much interaction with any of the more powerful countries out there? (such as Russia, China, any of those in western Europe, etc.)

Thanks all!

Bofredrik

RE: Successful Countries Not Involved With US

Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:01 am

Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland.
4 examples.

Doona

Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:06 am

Quoting Bofredrik (Reply 1):
Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland.

Are you saying those four countries have little or no interaction with the US? Look at the Swedish arms industry, and think again. Norway and Denmark are both part of NATO, BTW. We're perhaps not dependant on the US, but trade and co-operation, military and otherwise, with the US has certainly helped the Nordic countries.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

PPVRA

Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:12 am

Quoting Flyf15 (Thread starter):

Guernsey, Malta, Monaco. . I think any of the bigger nations are pretty involved with the U.S. in different matters.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

lijnden

Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:19 am

I can think of the following countries:
France, Cuba, Zimbabwe, Venezuela, North Korea, Iran, Mongolia, Syria, The Lebanon, Rwanda, Zaire (Congo), Angola, Laos, Libya, Kiribati & Tungaru, Sudan, Djibouti, Burkino Faso, Swaziland, Madagascar, Mozambique, Chad, Mali, Malawi, Gabon
Be kind to animals! Next trip: ORF-ORD-NRT-IAH-ORF

L-188

Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:29 am

Quoting Lijnden (Reply 4):
France, Cuba, Zimbabwe, Venezuela, North Korea, Iran, Mongolia, Syria, The Lebanon, Rwanda, Zaire (Congo), Angola, Laos, Libya, Kiribati & Tungaru, Sudan, Djibouti, Burkino Faso, Swaziland, Madagascar, Mozambique, Chad, Mali, Malawi, Gabon

France and the US definately have something to do with each other.

I would also argue that Cuba interacts with the US-negatively.

Venzualea I belive gets most of her oil money from the US

Mongolia, the US provides military cooperation. One of my brothers buddies did training over there last year.

Lebanon, the US has been involved there.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

gkirk

Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:31 am

Venezuela, North Korea, Iran

Rwanda, Zaire (Congo),

Sudan, Djibouti

Successful?  crazy 
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Arniepie

Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:31 am

I can think of the following countries:

He specifically asked for successful countries, which basically almost non in your list are, except France and they do have many and deep-going ties with the US.

As for the question at hand, IMHO it is a bit of a non issue, almost all big countries in the world have far going ties with almost all other countries in the world.
[edit post]

AirframeAS

Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:41 am

How about Switzerland? They're always neutral! LOL!  wave 
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

bsbisland

Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:44 am

As for the question at hand, IMHO it is a bit of a non issue, almost all big countries in the world have far going ties with almost all other countries in the world.

Exactly.

It all depends on the level of involvement with each of them.

LAXspotter

Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:01 am

The US is always trying to form a relationship with someone, somwhere. Most countries have some ties to the USA, unless it really doesnt matter on a global scale or on a region scale. My guess in that South Africa would be a much better partner to the US to have than say Swaziland or Lesotho.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

itsnotfinals

Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:45 am

Sweden, , Finland.

I would hate to see how Nokia in FInland would do without the US, they have a massive organization in the US . Finland's economy is very much influenced by trade with the US.
Speedbird 178 Heavy, FINAL runway 27L

oldeuropean

Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:56 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 5):
Venzualea I belive gets most of her oil money from the US

It's more the other way round.  Big grin

Axel
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

Mir

Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:32 pm

What countries out there are successful but have little to no interaction with the US?

There aren't any. The US is deeply involved with every successful country in the world, as well as many unsuccessful ones.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

sandrozrh

Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:53 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 8):
How about Switzerland

To a large extent, yes, and quite rightly so.

noelg

Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:31 am

It depends to what extent you are talking. I doubt any country has absolutely no trade with the US (with the obvious exceptions of Cuba, N Korea etc). Countries that have few political or military dealings with the US that spring to mind would be Russia, China and maybe New Zealand. Russia is almost entirely self-supportive (although they are dealing with more foreign countries these days), China who again are mostly self supporting, and NZ who compared to many western countries don't play along to the US's every whim like many other countries.

checkraiser

Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:38 am

Quoting Noelg (Reply 15):
China who again are mostly self supporting

China wouldn't be half of what it is without its US trade.
N1120A is a camel-fucking terrorist.

Banco

Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:46 am

Successful countries are successful in large part because they trade internationally. To find a nation that is successful without interacting with the largest economy, the greatest importer on the planet would be difficult, for reasons which should be obvious.

Whereas 150 years you could make a case for countries being successful without interaction with the superpower of that era, Britain (especially landlocked countries!), the world is different, with communication instantaneous.

In fact, it's not just a question of the United States. You'd be hard pressed to find a successful country that doesn't trade (and therefore, interacts) with someone like, say, France. The world is that much of a village these days.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

Derico

Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:57 am

Argentina became successful in the 20th century with virtually no interaction or trade with the United States.

It also stagnated in the middle of the century because it decided to interact with no one, not just the United States.

Argentina is still trying to regain is former status. The lesson there is that trade, even if it's not completely fair, as long is is not mostly unfair, is good.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

NoUFO

Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:12 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 6):
Successful?

Quoting ArniePie (Reply 7):
He specifically asked for successful countries,

It's Lijnden. He just didn't want to miss an opportunity to mention France in the same breath with some crackpot nations (or what he thinks are crackpot nations).
I support the right to arm bears

SP90

Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:07 am

Finland.

Doesn't Nokia employ over half the workforce in Finland? I see a lot of people using Nokia cell phones in the US. Then there is also the GSM/UMTS/WiMax infrastructure of companies like Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile also being partly Nokia.  Smile

sw733

Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:14 am

Quoting SP90 (Reply 20):
Doesn't Nokia employ over half the workforce in Finland

No way, at least I don't think so. They have a huge impact on Finland, and they bring in upwards of 30% of the market capital in Finland, but half the workforce of the country...I would be very surprised. I do, however, think they are the largest employer in Finland.

Superfly

Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:20 am

Sweden

Let's not for get that cheap furniture store Ikea that has huge big-box stores throughout the suburbs of the United States.
ABBA is still played in dance clubs across the USA.

France

Are you serious?
...and how many US made parts does Airbus use and vis-versa?
Bring back the Concorde

AirPacific747

Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:46 am

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 11):
I would hate to see how Nokia in FInland would do without the US, they have a massive organization in the US .

Actually, they wouldn't be doing too bad. India and China are BIG markets for Nokia too and they are constantly growing...

andaman

Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:11 am

Quoting SP90 (Reply 20):

Doesn't Nokia employ over half the workforce in finland?

in 2006 Nokia employ some 70,000 world wide (Nokia Siemens Networks not included), 24,000 of them in Finland.
After Finland comes 2) China 3) India 4) US

About US and Finland: in 2006 US was Finland's 5th largest trade partner.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"