N1120A
Topic Author

Castro May Be Dead

Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:09 am

Buzz around the office and a couple websites is that an announcement of Fidel Castro's death may be forthcoming. The Seattle PI has actually picked up the lead from Perez Hilton, of all people. It may be complete and utter  redflag  or it may hold some merit. Anyone else heard anything?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

dl021

RE: Castro May Be Dead

Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:18 am

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/08/24/ap4053398.html

Forbes is reporting it as rumor so far......interesting development, even though Raul has been running things for a while.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

ltbewr

Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:24 am

Probably not yet, although I (along with the millions of Cubans in the USA) would love for the far too long term of his life to end. If and when Fidel Castro finally dies, it will be a big thing and very much announced, although it may be delayed to the public so arrangements can be made.

walter747

Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:30 am

Quoting N1120A (Thread starter):
Buzz around the office and a couple websites is that an announcement of Fidel Castro's death may be forthcoming. The Seattle PI has actually picked up the lead from Perez Hilton, of all people. It may be complete and utter redflag or it may hold some merit. Anyone else heard anything?

I heard it was a rumor thats all.
Hussel, Hussel, Husel, Grind, Grind, Grind

PSA53

Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:39 am

This just into A.net news department....

General Francisco Franco of Spain is still dead.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

RayChuang

Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:53 pm

Even if Castro isn't dead, the very fact he hasn't been seen in public for many months reminds me so much of what happened in the Soviet Union during the first half of the 1980's when several prominent Politburo members passed away after many months of rumors about a Politburo member being seriously ill.

USAFHummer

Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:59 pm

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 4):
This just into A.net news department....

General Francisco Franco of Spain is still dead.

This was the first thing that sprang into my mind when I heard this story as well...Chevy Chase, your presence is needed in the airliners.net non-av forum  Wink
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

AC777LR

Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:20 pm

Well I was just in Cuba not that long ago and I was told he was getting better. That he was expected to return to office by the years end.
Member since April 2000

MD11Engineer

Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:36 pm

So how is Raul running the country? I have heard that he is less charismatic than his brother, but a lot more pragmatic and less centered on ideology.

Jan.
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

fraspotter

Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:46 pm

Fidel Castro's death

We can only hope....  tombstone 
"Taking off is optional. It’s landing that’s mandatory."

Blackbird

Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:54 pm

Even though Castro's dead, it doesn't matter -- his successor will take over and it will still be a commie country. And us Americans won't be able to tour there anytime soon.

Andrea Kent

Pope

Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:03 pm

Buzz around the office and a couple websites is that an announcement of Fidel Castro's death may be forthcoming. The Seattle PI has actually picked up the lead from Perez Hilton, of all people. It may be complete and utter or it may hold some merit. Anyone else heard anything?

Wow! You're posting an thread based on an office rumor that comes at least third hand from the Seattle PI by way of Perez Hilton. I guess you were absent the day they covered reliability of evidence in law school.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

gkirk

Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:40 pm

Quoting Blackbird (Reply 11):
And us Americans won't be able to tour there anytime soon.

Thus allowing everyone else to have a nice peaceful holiday in Cuba  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

TransIsland

Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:07 pm

Quoting Blackbird (Reply 10):
us Americans won't be able to tour there anytime soon.

You can go there any time you like - via a free country of your choice. We won't tell your government should you choose to fly UP from NAS to HAV and back...  Wink
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

OB1504

Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:51 pm

Well, my dad works as a cameraman here in Miami, and he's been on "red alert" concerning Castro's death for the past week and a half.

yowza

Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:30 am

My sister used to work at the Canadian Foreign Ministry, she has already written the press release for when he dies. Nice to see the Canadian government is so proactive eh?  Smile I think he's still alive and although I am not a commie I would like to see Cuba remain communist but less brutal after his demise.

YOWza

usnseallt82

Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:06 am

Buzz around the office and a couple websites is that an announcement of Fidel Castro's death may be forthcoming. The Seattle PI has actually picked up the lead from Perez Hilton, of all people.

You gotta be kidding me dude. Office rumor and the Seattle PI?

Let's hope you argue cases with more evidence.....for your clients' sake.  headache 
Crye me a river

PPVRA

Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:31 am

There has been rumors his health deteriorated, but that has been more or less dismissed. Cuban officials said he is fine, and the U.S. gov't said they have "no reason" to suspect his health deteriorated. So who knows, one side no one can really believe and the other is guessing.

That said, his last public appearance was June 5th. His last article published was from Thursday, and supposedly the government is [still] 100% on Raul's hand.

[Edited 2007-08-25 19:32:32]
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

DLPMMM

Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:59 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 15):
I think he's still alive and although I am not a commie I would like to see Cuba remain communist but less brutal after his demise.

Great! So the prople there can contiue to live in poverty and the women will continue to need to literally prostitute themselves to Canadian and European tourists just to feed their families.

Very thoughtful of you.
 Yeah sure

WestJetYQQ

Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:10 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 12):

Thus allowing everyone else to have a nice peaceful holiday in Cuba

yes  Gotta love being from Canada!  duck 
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

yowza

Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:21 am

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 18):

Great! So the prople there can contiue to live in poverty and the women will continue to need to literally prostitute themselves to Canadian and European tourists just to feed their families.

I don't know a single Canadian or European who has bought such services from a Cuban woman (or man for that matter) I did in my earlier post say that I wanted less brutal treatment for the populace though. With that in mind it's clear that you have a bone to pick with communism in general... so I'll stop.

YOWza

DLPMMM

Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:09 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 20):
I don't know a single Canadian or European who has bought such services from a Cuban woman (or man for that matter) I did in my earlier post say that I wanted less brutal treatment for the populace though. With that in mind it's clear that you have a bone to pick with communism in general... so I'll stop.

Communism is nothing more than enslavement of the masses by a political elite. It is a failed and discredited political system. There are alot of members on A.net that could give you a real education on how communist governments actually work. Trying to dress it up with a qualifier of wanting communism in Cuba to continue with"less brutal treatment" is like asking for a rape to continue but with "smaller pe**s".

I find you wishing eternal poverty and hardship with no political freedom on an entire country's population disgusting.

AC777LR

Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:20 pm

Very thoughtful of you.

Have you ever been to Cuba? Thats not the case, where are you getting your news CNN?
Member since April 2000

rammstein

Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:38 pm

announcement of Fidel Castro's death may be forthcoming

redflag  Castro is one of the last

He who wishes to be rich in a day will be hanged in a day. --Leonardo Da Vinci

tsaord

Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:19 pm

I wonder though. Even if he dies he has out lasted how many US presidents?

With his death(if and when) may come change. I just hope the US government doesn't impose it's will on the Cuban people/country or any other Government body. let them decide where they go from his death and the US should aid them in whatever way possible if they want it.
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

DLPMMM

Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:24 am

Quoting AC777LR (Reply 22):
Have you ever been to Cuba? Thats not the case, where are you getting your news CNN?

I don't watch CNN, but you have apparently been brainwashed by the CBC and travel with your eyes closed (or perhaps you were too drunk to see the poverty.

I doubt that you even left your nice little resort enclave while you were Cuba. Did you even stop to think why the prices were so cheap? While you are in school, may I suggest some world history and macro-econimics courses?

Here are some links: (and no these are not "sex sites")

http://www.cuba-junky.com/cuba/sex.html

http://www.acrosscuba.com/index.php?L=4&B=43

http://dir.salon.com/story/people/fe...re/2002/02/07/cuba_milk/index.html

http://www.globalpolicy.org/socecon/develop/2003/0326cuba.htm

http://www.ecpat.net/eng/ecpat_inter...stitution_and_sex_tourism_cuba.pdf

http://www.iht.com/articles/2004/12/26/news/sex.php

ConcordeBoy

Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:39 am

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 21):
Communism is nothing more than enslavement of the masses by a political elite. It is a failed and discredited political system.

checkmark  checkmark 

is like asking for a rape to continue but with "smaller pe**s".

...egad, you say that as if it wouldn't be a more devastating experience!  Sad

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 25):
but you have apparently been brainwashed by the CBC and travel with your eyes closed (or perhaps you were too drunk to see the poverty.

Or, more likely, a combo of the above.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

yowza

Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:38 am

"less brutal treatment" is like asking for a rape to continue but with "smaller pe**s".

I love the analogy.

Communism is nothing more than enslavement of the masses by a political elite.

Well one could make the point that capitalism is the enslavement of the masses by the social elite.

I don't watch CNN, but you have apparently been brainwashed by the CBC and travel with your eyes closed (or perhaps you were too drunk to see the poverty.

I doubt that you even left your nice little resort enclave while you were Cuba. Did you even stop to think why the prices were so cheap? While you are in school, may I suggest some world history and macro-econimics courses?

A bit harsh don't you think? I'm assuming you have a bone to pick which is fair enough but labeling anyone who disagrees with you brainwashed is a little weak. As for us Canadians being sheltered and brainwashed that's nowhere near a valid statement. I personally lived in communist Vietnam for 3 years before the embargo was lifted and it was quite the eye opener, a mixture of good and bad.

YOWza

SlamClick

Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:44 am

Communism is nothing more than enslavement of the masses by a political elite.

Quoting YOWza (Reply 27):
Well one could make the point that capitalism is the enslavement of the masses by the social
elite.

One might also make the argument that under all political/economic/theological isms the masses enslave themselves by a combination of:

Refusal to educate themselves.
Refusal to inform themselves. (it is different from above)
Lack of ambition.
Reliance on excuses and blaming of others for lack of achievement.
Preference of being entertained (or, worse, intoxicated) over being productive.
and so on.

No political system will work very well for people like that.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

AGM100

Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:44 am

No way Dude ,.. I just like... saw him,,, woa...

-Spikoli
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

Faustino927

Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:37 am

Very thoughtful of you.

Very well said. You speak like a Cuban, are you? Well I am and I live in Miami, FL. Here in Miami the word is that it's just a rumor. But I do not think so. I think they are trying to figure out how they are going to break the news to the people. That day will be the greatest day for me and for all Cuban Americans who were forced to leave our country. Some because of "political issues" ans later on because of the extreme poverty that exists now in Cuba. Fidel Castro has done a lot of damage in Cuba but only us Cubans know the extent. He was, is and will always be a tyrant, an animal who doesn't give a damn about anybody but his selfish arrogant self.
Fidel, may you rest in HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

Blackprojects

Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:54 am

The only rearly long lasting leeder with as much time in office as Castro is the Queen of United kingdom and Common Wealth but unlike Fiddel she dosent wave AKs about.

So the old world Leeders are rearly dieing out I wonder if they will Stuff Castro like the Russians did with Lenin?

AC777LR

Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:25 am

Here are some links

Ugh I think this user is due for a YYZ meet Big grin to tell me how he really feels, seriously why don't you get off your high horse and travel to Cuba. I am sure country's such as the Dominican republic are in far worse shape then Cuba, yet you are contributing this to Castro? I see this problem all in the south, not just Cuba. Brain washed you wish, I have been to Cuba more then my share of times to know how it is down there. I see most Cuban people have jobs, have homes, have health care, hydro, running water, decent roads and education, Tell me that all that exists in other 3rd world nations, get serious!!! I love how you tell me what you know about Cuba and you have never been there, and will probably never go (thank god). I have been to my share of places and have stayed with my coworkers family down there before, yes a local family, so I know all well what life is like. You both seem very brainwashed by the American Government on life in Cuba and it shows like white on rice.

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 26):
Or, more likely, a combo of the above.

I see you are back.
Member since April 2000

PPVRA

Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:10 pm

The Cuban delegation at the Pan-American games in Rio this summer left the day before the closing ceremony, for fears of more athletes running away to hide in exile (a few of them actually did). Wouldn't be the first time, either.

Surely things can't be that rosy, especially since they should be the pride of Cuba right now???

It's not like Cuba doesn't use the olympics to shows off, anyways. . and these people are still running away???

What are these guys doing. . .

Over-reacting????

[Edited 2007-08-27 05:11:48]

PPVRA

Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:20 pm

Quoting AC777LR (Reply 32):
I am sure country's such as the Dominican republic are in far worse shape then Cuba, yet you are contributing this to Castro?

According to wikipedia, who quotes the IMF and the CIA World Fact Book, the Dominican Republic's per capita is more than twice that of Cuba. Difference is a little smaller when adjusted to PPP.

AC777LR

Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:33 pm

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 34):
According to wikipedia, who quotes the IMF and the CIA World Fact Book, the Dominican Republic's per capita is more than twice that of Cuba. Difference is a little smaller when adjusted to PPP.

Well ya that could be the case, I am not sure. My main tiff with that idiot up there, he said

women will continue to need to literally prostitute themselves to Canadian and European tourists just to feed their families.
Member since April 2000

Faustino927

Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:14 pm

Quoting AC777LR (Reply 32):
Ugh I think this user is due for a YYZ meet to tell me how he really feels, seriously why don't you get off your high horse and travel to Cuba. I am sure country's such as the Dominican republic are in far worse shape then Cuba, yet you are contributing this to Castro? I see this problem all in the south, not just Cuba. Brain washed you wish, I have been to Cuba more then my share of times to know how it is down there. I see most Cuban people have jobs, have homes, have health care, hydro, running water, decent roads and education, Tell me that all that exists in other 3rd world nations, get serious!!! I love how you tell me what you know about Cuba and you have never been there, and will probably never go (thank god). I have been to my share of places and have stayed with my coworkers family down there before, yes a local family, so I know all well what life is like. You both seem very brainwashed by the American Government on life in Cuba and it shows like white on rice.

Obviously you are full of shit! You don't know what you are talking about. My family is miserable in Cuba, if it wasn't for us here in the USA who send them some money they would starve. They are not communists, maybe that family you stayed with ARE communists and live a little bit better than others. You Canadians are ALWAYS defending Fidel Castro. If you love him that much then go and live there.

yowza

Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:03 pm

Quoting BlackProjects (Reply 31):
rearly

Quoting Faustino927 (Reply 36):

Obviously you are full of shit! You don't know what you are talking about. My family is miserable in Cuba, if it wasn't for us here in the USA who send them some money they would starve. They are not communists, maybe that family you stayed with ARE communists and live a little bit better than others. You Canadians are ALWAYS defending Fidel Castro. If you love him that much then go and live there.

I'm going in the first week of October, if I bump into him I'll say hi for you.

YOWza

DLPMMM

Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:06 pm

Quoting AC777LR (Reply 35):
Well ya that could be the case, I am not sure. My main tiff with that idiot up there, he said

Who are you calling an idiot!

It really shows the strength of your position when your only retort is to call me a name.

Just because you believe in the Castro propaganda and the communist manifesto, while the wealth of history and facts prove your myopic view of the world wrong.

When the Dominican Republic has twice the per capita GDP of a government, it says it all about how well that government works.

I travel to more countries every year than you have traveled to in your lifetime (24 different countries this year alone on every continent except Australia). I do it primarily on business, where I meet real citizens of the countries, not the local political mouth pieces, resort employees, and wackos.

No I have not traveled to Cuba, however, very good friends of mine spent a bit of time there with their boats. I hear their accounts of how great the Cuban people are, and also of how desperately poor. How their lives are completely controlled by the government.

One couple befriended a Cuban couple and gave them a couple of hundred doaalrs. Their Cuban friends are now the richest non-communist government inhabitants of their village, using the money to open a restaurant in their house.

Another friend took his fishing boat over to Cuba for a little event that ended up being called the Mariel Boat Lift. I remember the event, you might want to look that one up.

Quoting Faustino927 (Reply 30):
You speak like a Cuban, are you?

No, I am not Cuban, but I did learn alot from some Cuban friends, just as I have learned alot from friends in S.Africa, China, Thailand, India, Japan, Russia, Eastern Europe, South America,......

There is a reason why such a large number of Cuba's population are willing to risk their lives to leave the country of their birth.

Superfly

Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:16 pm

This all a rumor and nothing more.

Quoting YOWza (Reply 37):
I'm going in the first week of October,

Hope you're going to fly Cubana and write a trip report.  Cool

I've been to Cuba and yes it's poor but I've seen place MUCH worse off than Cuba such as Haiti. Me and my girlfriend refused to stay at the exclusive resorts and stayed at hotels that are mixed in with the locals. I was aware of the exclusive resorts such as Veradero but refused to go there because natives aren't allowed unless they work there. We made friends, visited their families & friends. I met people that were not afraid to speak out against Fidel Castro and I met people that loved him.

DLPMMM:
There are prostitutes in MANY countries, not just Cuba. When Cuba shifts from Communism, there will still be prostitution.
Bring back the Concorde

DLPMMM

Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:10 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 39):
There are prostitutes in MANY countries, not just Cuba. When Cuba shifts from Communism, there will still be prostitution.

The prostitution part only came in when YOWza said that Cuba did not have people whoring to feed their families due to Castro's failed communist economic policies The oldest profession will always have customers, but even Castro said that Cuba has the highest educated and most literate whores in the world. It is sad when even the well educated are forced to this most base method of economic survival.

But to make the statement of:

Quoting YOWza (Reply 15):
I would like to see Cuba remain communist but less brutal after his demise.

That has to rank up there as one of the most ignorant and heartless statements ever made on A.net, especially from someone who has grown up with a life of (comparative) privilege in a western capitalist democracy, and someone who professes to be friends with some of the Cuban people. To wish upon another country's people continued poverty and repression (although less "brutal", what ever that means), is just plain sick!

Faustino927

Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:22 am

DLPMMM:

The

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 40):
That has to rank up there as one of the most ignorant and heartless statements ever made on A.net, especially from someone who has grown up with a life of (comparative) privilege in a western capitalist democracy, and someone who professes to be friends with some of the Cuban people. To wish upon another country's people continued poverty and repression (although less "brutal", what ever that means), is just plain sick!

I agree 100%. It's ALL or NOTHING!!!

Superfly

Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:27 am

DLPMMM:
We're you the user that was against sex outside of marriage in another thread?
When Cuba becomes capitalist again, the prostitution will still be going on but will cost more. Probably about what it would cost for a whore in Miami.

Raul Castro isn't much younger than Fidel. When Raul is gone, who is in line after him? Will it be all over with?
Bring back the Concorde

DLPMMM

Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:58 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 42):
We're you the user that was against sex outside of marriage in another thread?

Not me, as it is the only type of sex I have. (Hetero and never married). I am actually the one that suggested that the government quit recognizing all forms of marriage, as it is a religious rite, and should not be a legal right.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 42):
Raul Castro isn't much younger than Fidel. When Raul is gone, who is in line after him? Will it be all over with?

We can only hope that the end of Fidel and Raul will be the end of communism in Cuba. I have no prediction for this and I am not informed on the "line of succession" (a vaguely imperialistic notion for a communist country), but I certainly would not wish otherwise on the Cuban people.

yowza

Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:07 am

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 38):
When the Dominican Republic has twice the per capita GDP of a government, it says it all about how well that government works.

Well I also lived in LLW for a number of years and it's dead last on the list on wikipedia maybe commie Cuba is less evil than attempted democracy in Malawi?

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 38):
There is a reason why such a large number of Cuba's population are willing to risk their lives to leave the country of their birth.

You think Cuba is alone? Do you know how many Africans risk their life trying to make it to Europe? Or Chinese trying to make it to the US and Canada?

Hope you're going to fly Cubana and write a trip report

It's a package through a Canadian holiday company.

The prostitution part only came in when YOWza said that Cuba did not have people whoring to feed their families due to Castro's failed communist economic policies

I actually never said that, but don't let that stop you from trying to use me as an example.

specially from someone who has grown up with a life of (comparative) privilege in a western capitalist democracy

What do you know about where I've grown up? If you'd bothered to read my posts rather than just spouting off you'd know that I have lived in communist countries as well as some of the world's poorest countries.

To wish upon another country's people continued poverty and repression (although less "brutal", what ever that means), is just plain sick!

So you're saying that Cuba can transition from communism to American style capitalism overnight and then everything will be rosy, Ferraris in every driveway and second homes? Please...

YOWza

Superfly

Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:17 am

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 43):
Not me, as it is the only type of sex I have. (Hetero and never married). I am actually the one that suggested that the government quit recognizing all forms of marriage, as it is a religious rite, and should not be a legal right.

Ok cool. I just wanted to make sure you were not speaking from a prudish point of view.  

Regardless of what government changes take place, nothing will kill the spirit of the Cuban people. They are some of the most genuine, friendly people on earth. They are full of life and energy. I saw an incredible amount of elderly people that were very healthy and some still like to dance. The music scene is fantastic. It's great walking down any given street and hearing some incredible musicians. Many fantastic artist such as painters, dancers and other arts.
Me and my girlfriend made friends with a couple. The guy was a percussionist. His band had travelled and performed in East Germany, USSR, China and Vietnam. They were part of a 10 piece latin-jazz group. One night we were at there place drinking and his girlfriend wanted to know if we brought any Whitney Houston CD!   
I was like you have to be kidding!  Wow!

The one question I heard often was; "Is it true that there are cats & dogs that live better off than humans in the United States?"
That was an interesting question and sadly I had to answer 'yes'.

[Edited 2007-08-27 19:32:56]

[Edited 2007-08-27 19:34:30]
Bring back the Concorde

lijnden

Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:30 am

According to the website below is Fidel already dead for many years

http://www.uncoveror.com/castro.htm
Be kind to animals! Next trip: ORF-ORD-NRT-IAH-ORF

Superfly

Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:41 am

Lijnden:
That is a funny link but not entirely impossible. Many old men in Cuba has taken on the Fidel look. One of the 5 pilots on our IL-62 looked like Fidel.
In case you ask, the IL-62 is a 5 man cockpit.
Bring back the Concorde

DLPMMM

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:19 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 44):
Well I also lived in LLW for a number of years and it's dead last on the list on wikipedia maybe commie Cuba is less evil than attempted democracy in Malawi?

So because there are some people who live under a corrupt African government that are even worse off, then the people of Cuba should continue to be ruled by a totalitarian communist regeime? That makes sense. Yeah sure

You think Cuba is alone? Do you know how many Africans risk their life trying to make it to Europe? Or Chinese trying to make it to the US and Canada?

And do you not wish for these Governments to allow for freedom and economic prosperity for their citizens? Your arguments make no sense.

I actually never said that, but don't let that stop you from trying to use me as an example.

I said that women were prostituting themselves to feed their families, you said it is not like that at all.

What do you know about where I've grown up? If you'd bothered to read my posts rather than just spouting off you'd know that I have lived in communist countries as well as some of the world's poorest countries.

Gee, a multi-ethnic recently graduated 21-25 year old engineer from Canada that has had the opportunity to travel and live around the world and loves to party. Your sister works for the Canadian Foreign Ministry. I would be willing to bet that your father is a diplomat of one sort or another, and that in the "commie" and "poorest" countries that you "lived in", you lived in much greater affluence than the locals did, perhaps at the Canadian Embassies?

So you're saying that Cuba can transition from communism to American style capitalism overnight and then everything will be rosy, Ferraris in every driveway and second homes? Please...

I never said anything of the sort. I never even mentioned "American style capitalism". The transition from their current economic system could hardly make their economic plight any worse. I only wished for the end to a repressive communist regeime. You on the other hand stated your preference that Cuba remain Communist after Fidel is dead, but that you wanted it to be "less brutal".

asuflyer05

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:25 am

Quoting Faustino927 (Reply 30):
Very well said. You speak like a Cuban, are you? Well I am and I live in Miami, FL. Here in Miami the word is that it's just a rumor. But I do not think so. I think they are trying to figure out how they are going to break the news to the people. That day will be the greatest day for me and for all Cuban Americans who were forced to leave our country. Some because of "political issues" ans later on because of the extreme poverty that exists now in Cuba. Fidel Castro has done a lot of damage in Cuba but only us Cubans know the extent. He was, is and will always be a tyrant, an animal who doesn't give a damn about anybody but his selfish arrogant self.
Fidel, may you rest in HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately Cuba in 2007 is a drastically different place than the Cuba our families left. IMHO the general population has become so used to living on the dole that progress will be slow.

- On another note, can we have a debate without the name calling? Seriously, fighting on the internet is stupid.

- Matt