AC773
Topic Author

Technology & Telecom Gurus, I Need Your Help!

Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:23 am

I have a perplexing question about VOIP that I need a little help on - I'm getting different answers from different people.

I have a landline telephone right now, and I also use a company called IDT for international long distance. The problem is, I'd like to save some money and get Comcast's package that includes broadband internet, cable TV, and their own VOIP phone service for $99 per month.

My question is, will IDT still work if I'm using VOIP? With Comcast I'll get to keep the same number I have now but I'm puzzled about the difference in technology and whether that would be a factor.

Of all the tech topics in my knowledge base, landline phone service is something I know zilch about.  Wink

Thanks for your help.  Smile
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

wgw2707

RE: Technology & Telecom Gurus, I Need Your Help!

Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:08 am

The answer is almost certainly a "no." However, many VoIP providers do provide fairly decent rates on international calling. Your best bet would be to compare the total amount you're paying now with your current telecom provider + IDT, with what you would pay given the rates of the VoIP provider you are considering using, and base your decision on that.