seb146

Your Summer Holiday!

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:02 am

This is for everyone in the Northern Hemisphere or those in the Southern Hemisphere who didn't post anything over their summer holiday.

I just got back from my summer holiday visiting family in Salt Lake City, Utah. The Capital building was still closed, the observation deck on top of the LDS Office Building was closed, the governers mansion was closed, most of the freeways were still under construction, Trolley Square was almost completely empty (we had dinner at the Brazilian restaurant one night), but my family is well and I (hopefully) was on TV. So, how was your summer holiday?

At the Salt Lake:

At the Capital:

Being a dork at "This Is The Place" monument:

At the Salt Flats:
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

Braybuddy

RE: Your Summer Holiday!

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:17 am

SUMMER?????????/

kmh1956

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:22 am

What summer holiday? I took 3 days off in July while my daughter was visiting...and it poured rain for two of those. I work for a school, and I guarantee that when the teachers come back next week, many of them will be bitching and whining about how their holiday was too short.

So, if after next week I don't post for a while, you'll know I've been arrested for killing a teacher or two.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

asuflyer05

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:31 am

I leave Friday for Holiday

New Jersey/New York/Honolulu/Guam/Sydney/Cairns

8/31 - PHX-EWR
9/6 - EWR-MSP-HNL
9/7-8 - HNL-GUM via the CO Mike Island Hopper
9/9-10 - GUM-CNS-SYD
9/15 - SYD-CNS
9/17-16 - CNS-GUM-HNL
9/20 - HNL-LAX-IAH-PHX

I can't wait to load the flights into my flight memory.

walter747

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:38 am

Quoting Asuflyer05 (Reply 3):
I leave Friday for Holiday

New Jersey/New York/Honolulu/Guam/Sydney/Cairns

8/31 - PHX-EWR
9/6 - EWR-MSP-HNL
9/7-8 - HNL-GUM via the CO Mike Island Hopper
9/9-10 - GUM-CNS-SYD
9/15 - SYD-CNS
9/17-16 - CNS-GUM-HNL
9/20 - HNL-LAX-IAH-PHX

I can't wait to load the flights into my flight memory.

Wow that looks expensive.
Hussel, Hussel, Husel, Grind, Grind, Grind

asuflyer05

Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:41 am

Quoting Walter747 (Reply 4):

Wow that looks expensive.

135,000 OnePass Miles and $96.50 for most of it. Only the PHX-EWR is "revenue."

JGPH1A

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:05 am

I'm only going on holiday at the end of September, and I'm in an agony of indecision about where to go - I want somewhere nice and relaxing, but interesting, and with some fun flying too. Helllppppp meeee - I'm so crap and disorganised. Suggestions welcome.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

ndebelebev

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:16 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 6):
and with some fun flying too.

Talk to Plymspotter.... He always comes up with some weird and wonderful routings to take. Just read his trip reports from when he went to the Philippines.

As for me my holiday will be in November. Off to Thailand and Cambodia with my mum. Am gonna see how many airport shops I can lose her in this time. Bless her!!!

Bev xx
Her Pose Is That Of Someone... Who Knows It All And Is In Total Control Of Her World... Little Does She Know...

JGPH1A

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:21 am

Quoting Ndebelebev (Reply 7):
Off to Thailand and Cambodia with my mum. Am gonna see how many airport shops I can lose her in this time. Bless her!!!

Fun ! And you should attach one of those GPS tags on your mum, in case she wanders off  Smile
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

ndebelebev

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:25 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 8):
GPS tags

Yeah I feel like doing that sometimes... I even had to have her tannoyed in Tesco's once!!!

Bev xx
Her Pose Is That Of Someone... Who Knows It All And Is In Total Control Of Her World... Little Does She Know...

AirframeAS

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:28 am

My summer vacation was a grand one: SCHOOL! I graudated from A&P school on Aug 10th. Now I need a Fall vacation to make up for the last two summers I didnt get to take off!
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

PlymSpotter

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:40 am

Quoting Ndebelebev (Reply 7):
Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 6):
and with some fun flying too.

Talk to Plymspotter.... He always comes up with some weird and wonderful routings to take. Just read his trip reports from when he went to the Philippines.

Well, got to get on the rare aircraft you know! As I already said in another thread - you should go to the Philippines, plenty of rare aircraft there (DHC7, ATP, BAe146-100, B732, CN-235 etc...) although perhaps don't go to Jolo like I did!  silly  Or what about Mexico/Central America (hurricanes permitting I know), Russia for Tu 134/154 (I don't see that on your map yet), India, or maybe if you're too hot up here in Europe you could go to Argentina, Chile or somewhere else in South America - perhaps even do the three day trek up to Machu Picchu? Plenty of fabulous places to see in the world!

After my initial summer holiday abroad to the Philippines for a good time and to fly some rare aircraft like the YS-11, (Trip reports Part 1 and Part 2 ) I am staying in the UK for the rest of the summer. I've got plenty of jobs keeping me busy, word has now gotten out that I'm good at building fences, so my family are lining up the jobs thick and fast... off to Wales to reconstruct King Offers Dyke soon! Puts a bit of cash in my pocket too, enabling me to save up for a trip to Iran in the Autumn - too hot I think to go there during the summer!

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Shawn Patrick

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:54 am

Yeah, didn't have much of a break. All I did was flight training to get my instructor certificates and worked (flying for a small airline to the bahamas). I had about 5 days in HNL/SFO in May, 6 days in Colorado (home) in august, and a weeklong internship in august. Yeah, I agree with above poster... I need a make-up vacation. Oh wait, classes start today.

Shawn

USAFHummer

Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:59 am

Just got back from Europe a few days ago after 2.5 weeks there...spent most of the time visiting family in Denmark and England, but also took a few days to swing through Benelux by train and also hopped over to Ireland for the day...

However, one of the big highlights for me was finally being able to see a European pro soccer game in person (FC Kobenhavn vs. Esbjerg @ Parken in CPH) in person...the verdict from this American football fan: Game itself still sucks, but the atmosphere was incredible...

Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

JGPH1A

Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:07 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 11):
perhaps even do the three day trek up to Machu Picchu?

What, walk ? Don't be silly. Don't they have palanquins in Peru ?

I just want to go somewhere and relax. Charging around the jungle is exhausting - I might break a nail ! Somewhere relaxing, with fun planes.

davestanKSAN

Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:08 am

Going to KOA via HNL this Friday. Hopefully HNL is okay after our friend JGPH1A got done with it....tehehehehe.

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

JGPH1A

Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:26 am

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 15):
Going to KOA via HNL this Friday. Hopefully HNL is okay after our friend JGPH1A got done with it....tehehehehe.

Sadly, HNL can no longer be fashionable, one has been there, one is no longer there, the fabulousness is gone. It is as if the light has gone out of the universe for those who remain. And anyway, I bought all the nice loud shirts. I recommend Cheeseburgers in Paradise, they do a mean pina colada in a big plastic pineapple (classy !).

I've been hunting the interweb all night and I cant find any holiday or destination that suits my requirements.

- Affordable
- Hugely luxurious
- Relaxing
- Requires amusing travel
- Requires no effort to book (ie. can be booked online).

It's hell having high standards !

PlymSpotter

Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:31 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 16):
- Affordable
- Hugely luxurious
- Relaxing

Skegness?  duck 

JGPH1A

Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:34 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 17):
Skegness?

WAY too near Skidmarks for comfort. Besides, I might be seen there, and I would be forced to commit suicide.

ndebelebev

Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:39 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 18):
near Skidmarks

Come to Southport... At least you will be separated from Skiddy by the Pennines plus you can fly into LPL on one of those exotic EZY 737's from Nice.... Plus Southport is something of a Retirement town so you should fit in quite well with the locals!!!!

Bev xx

davestanKSAN

Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:43 am

And anyway, I bought all the nice loud shirts. I recommend Cheeseburgers in Paradise, they do a mean pina colada in a big plastic pineapple (classy !).

BLASTED!!!! Oh well hopefully I can impress the Hawaiian ladies with my other shirts.  couple 

- Affordable
- Hugely luxurious
- Relaxing

It's hell having high standards !

Ever visit the Grand Canyon? You can ride donkeys. They groom them to the highest standard.

Seriously how about SAN? You can go NCE-FRA-CLT-SAN, NCE-FRA-SFO-SAN, or, the other way. NCE-NRT-TIJ and take the trolley to SAN. Although that's only for mear peasants such as me.

There's plenty to do, great places to stay, great food, and I can make you a veggie burger, bwhahahaha.

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

Tom in NO

Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:47 am

Did a long trip report on our New Orleans to SoCal road trip back in early June. Tis here: http://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/1652534

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

JGPH1A

Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:12 am

Quoting Ndebelebev (Reply 19):
Plus Southport is something of a Retirement town so you should fit in quite well with the locals!!!!

Insolent wench ! Please observe the signature; I await your grovelling retraction upon the hour !

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 20):
Oh well hopefully I can impress the Hawaiian ladies with my other shirts.

Unless they're made of 100 dollar bills (and worn by someone else), this is unlikely.

That NRT-TIJ leg sounds amusing - that's an AM 777 right ? Hmmm - tempting. But SAN - what does one do there ? Is it somewhere one can be seen ? I mean, well, California... euww.

Smile

ndebelebev

Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:17 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 22):
Please observe the signature

Oh yes! The signature... I do recall conversations about it in KEF... I do most humbly apologise or I might not end up in Thailand and Cambodia in November with your powers at Amadeus!!!

Bev xx

PlymSpotter

Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:50 am

Quoting Ndebelebev (Reply 23):
Oh yes! The signature... I do recall conversations about it in KEF... I do most humbly apologise or I might not end up in Thailand and Cambodia in November with your powers at Amadeus!!!

But on the plus side you would get to fly Air Koryo Wink  silly 

davestanKSAN

Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:18 am

Unless they're made of 100 dollar bills (and worn by someone else), this is unlikely.

Blasphemy!!

That NRT-TIJ leg sounds amusing - that's an AM 777 right ?

Indeed it is.

But SAN - what does one do there ? Is it somewhere one can be seen ? I mean, well, California... euww.

Plenty to do,

Seaworld (Shamu is there, okay so I won't make a joke) lots of animals, whales, dolphins, rides, sea life, fun.
World Famous San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park
Gaslamp quarter (downtown, lots of resturants, music clubs, oh and you can catch an American baseball game at Petco Park if you come when the season is still on, probably until September.)
Beautiful beaches
La Jolla [prenounced Hoy ya] (pretty posh area, beautiful beaches, great scenery, great little town in a town)
Coronado (http://www.coronado.ca.us/) Beaches, Hotel Del
USS Midway (aircraft carier with plenty of history)
Balboa Park, where the San Diego Air and Space museum is (http://www.aerospacemuseum.org/)
Ocean Beach
Pacific Beach
Very pleasant weather year round
SAN is a very unique airport, right in the middle of downtown

and probably the most important....

ME!!!!

It's a great town, and I not only say that because I live here, but it is. It's not as crowded and smoggy as LA, nor like it at all. Yes you can be seen here without too much attention.

Probably my favorite city in California next to SFO and Monterey.

Anyway if you need more info, just ask!!!!  Smile.

Dave

aloges

Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:39 pm

three marvellous weeks in June:

LH/UA FRA-MUC-ORD-DCA
then on to NYC and Boston by train
back to ORD on UA
and finally ORD-MUC-FRA on LH

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c81/aloges/1-WAS.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c81/aloges/3-BOS.jpg

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

DC10extender

Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:17 pm

I spent a week in Grand Cayman scuba diving in june and two weeks in Spain, France, Germany, and Austria in July. Thats all for now.
Did you ever read on your birth certificate that life is fair? Thats cause its not there.

extspotter

Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:28 am

You could always go to the Channel Islands. You can fly the Trislander. Those are wierd. Plus probably a bit safer than the majority of the flights Plymspottter's ever done.
AF BE BY FR MV PD SZ U2 VZ DHC6, 8-3/4Q, 732/8, 763ER, A319, A380

seb146

Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:55 am

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 25):
SAN is a very unique airport, right in the middle of downtown

I flew PDX-SAN a few years ago to help a friend move. It was a great ride. I never got to ride the trolley to TIJ or do anything in SAN. He lived in Oceanside. But, what I saw of SAN as we flew next to it was beautiful!

I have an idea for JGPH1A: Just do all of California. Spend a few days in SAN, a few days in LAX, a few days in SFO and a few days in CEC then leave from RNO or LAS. That is what I want to do next time instead of SLC. That way, you can see and be seen in only the best places in California and not touch the unspoiled beauty of Oregon and Washington. From what you have described of yourself, we may need to close the state boarders that week LOL

JGPH1A

Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:30 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 29):
Just do all of California

Honey, I'm not from Havana ! Just form an orderly queue, and we'll see how we get on. I only have 2 weeks vacation, after all.

Spend a few days in SAN, a few days in LAX, a few days in SFO and a few days in CEC then leave from RNO or LAS.

I would like to go to Lost Wages, this is true. I have been to SFO (enjoyed it very much), LAX (loathed it) - I've never even heard of Crescent City - where is that, what does one do there ?

touch the unspoiled beauty of Oregon and Washington. From what you have described of yourself, we may need to close the state boarders that week

I would enhance the unspoiled beauty of Oregon and Washington with my own unspoilt beauty. I am famed for my breathtaking vistas, rolling prairies and purple mountains majesty ! Not to mention my fruited plains. :-P

seb146

Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:33 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 30):
I've never even heard of Crescent City - where is that, what does one do there ?

The only reason I mention that is you can pet a shark at the aquarium. Seriously.

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 30):
I would enhance the unspoiled beauty of Oregon and Washington with my own unspoilt beauty. I am famed for my breathtaking vistas, rolling prairies and purple mountains majesty ! Not to mention my fruited plains. :-P

Oh, honey!!! There is only room enough in this state for one fabulous person at a time. I am already here. Sorry to dissapoint. Actually, no one around here is disappointed anymore, since I am back! Big grin

JGPH1A

Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:40 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 31):
Actually, no one around here is disappointed anymore, since I am back!

Yes, well, your lax standards are notorious ! Try and demonstrate a little discernment, do !

The only reason I mention that is you can pet a shark at the aquarium. Seriously.

And I would do this because...?

There is only room enough in this state for one fabulous person at a time. I am already here.

We'll soon see about that....

seb146

Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:58 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 32):
Yes, well, your lax standards are notorious ! Try and demonstrate a little discernment, do !

Sweetie, let me assure you there are many MANY times I have heard those around me say things like "this is so much fun" and "you need to hang out here more often." Well, I'm sorry, there is only so much of me to go around. And, right now, it is in Oregon!

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 32):
We'll soon see about that....

Oh, dear.... Stand back.....

I guess I could force myself to visit SFO or LAS for a week. If I do that, PDX will be a MAJOR dissapointment while you are here, but, I am sure you will manage to pick up the pieces and carry on, somehow. You have for this long  Wink

lewis

Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:22 am

It was great! Had lots of fun.

I visited Barcelona

Lefkada
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/ptsantis/beachsmall.jpg

and Santorini

PlymSpotter

Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:44 am

Quoting EXTspotter (Reply 28):
You could always go to the Channel Islands. You can fly the Trislander.

Well, he could if he could fit in a Trislander  duck 

Dan Wink

RobertNL070

Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:14 am

Next Wednesday we are fleeing to AGP for a week's worth of Mediterranean sun after our dismal summer here.

Robert
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

JGPH1A

Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:22 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 33):
I guess I could force myself to visit SFO or LAS for a week.

Force yourself ? HAH - you have a streetlight with your name engraved on it on Castro Street. Cornish is so jealous.

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 33):
If I do that, PDX will be a MAJOR dissapointment while you are here

Portland ? America's answer to Birkenhead ? As if...  Smile

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 35):
Well, he could if he could fit in a Trislander

I fit into an Islander several times, and Trislanders are bigger :-P

seb146

Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:54 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 37):
you have a streetlight with your name engraved on it on Castro Street.

Show's how much you know: that street light is on Market!  Smile

Portland ? America's answer to Birkenhead ? As if...

Hey, if I am not here, they may as well roll up the sidewalks and turn out the lights!

aloges

Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:04 am

I fit into an Islander several times

Precisely that is the point. How many times then does one have to fly a route to get all the various bits of your vast self from one place to another? Big grin

JGPH1A

Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:07 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 38):
Hey, if I am not here, they may as well roll up the sidewalks and turn out the lights!

I thought they did. 8pm every night. Welcome To Portland, Now Go Home !

JGPH1A

Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:09 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 39):
How many times then does one have to fly a route to get all the various bits of your vast self from one place to another?

The phrase "he makes the room seem smaller somehow" refers to what we Anglophones like to call "personality". I know this is something alien to you, but try to keep up. :-P

aloges

Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:19 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 41):
The phrase "he makes the room seem smaller somehow" refers to what we Anglophones like to call "personality".

It may or may not be of particular concern to a superb(ish) being such as yourself, but in the world that we, the ordinary plebs, call "reality", that flattering explanation is also referred to as a "lie".  Wink

JGPH1A

Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:24 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 42):
we, the ordinary plebs

Oh, so very ordinary !

Quoting Aloges (Reply 42):
"reality",

Pah ! Reality ? How droll. Rampant self-orbitting egocentricity has no need of such a prosaic notion.

aloges

Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:31 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 43):
Rampant self-orbitting egocentricity has no need of such a prosaic notion.

I see... the la(r)d(y)'s not for turning, is he?

OK, my cast ballots may now gag and asphyxiate me for that one. No, no, no!

JGPH1A

Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:42 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 44):
OK, my cast ballots may now gag and asphyxiate me for that one

What are you babbling about, you insane Mittel-European ? Cast ballots ? Cast bollocks, I fear. Nonetheless, I hope the bit about gagging and asphyxiating comes to pass right soon.

aloges

Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:01 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 45):
I hope the bit about gagging and asphyxiating comes to pass right soon.

But m'dear Sir, such mundane utterances from your (or maybe rather "yore") sacred lips? I am appalled!

seb146

Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:11 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 40):
I thought they did. 8pm every night. Welcome To Portland, Now Go Home !

Well, they did when I was in SLC, but now that I am back, the champaigne has been flowing and the ticker tape has not stopped! Didn't you hear they even re-named the river flowing through downtown after me? lol

aloges

Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:17 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 47):
Didn't you hear they even re-named the river flowing through downtown after me?

So it's a good job you didn't move to Cleveland.

seb146

Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:23 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 48):
So it's a good job you didn't move to Cleveland.

Honey, it's great to be anywhere I am Big grin