AA7295
Topic Author

US Passport Error

Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:45 am

Hi Guys,

I finally got my US Passport from the US Consulate in Sydney yesterday, however this is an error on the passport. The photo on my has an orange tinge and it makes my skin color literally look like a carrot. It is an inaccurate picture of me, and surely they cannot expect me to have this for 10 years. It looks so bad, that if it had not come from the the US Consulate, I would have thought it would have been a fake passport.

What should I do?

Regards,
AA7295

gunsontheroof

RE: US Passport Error

Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:56 am

That's not really a passport error...an error would be if it included incorrect information. For that matter, I'm pretty sure the film (or whatever it is) that coats the photo page of your passport tints the photo itself. My skin definitely looks different in my passport photo, and I've never had any problems anywhere (Canadian border, AMS, CDG, a bar in Boston that asked for a second piece of ID...)

You'll be fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

fumanchewd

Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:21 am

I just got my renewed passport back last week and it looks the same. I wouldn't worry about it. All passport photos look like shit anyway. I think that if it actually looks like you then it is forged and you are detained as a possible terrorist.

On a side note, I accidentally sent in a check from a closed account with the form. I have received the passport and there is no way they can cash the check. I'm waiting for the Department of Homeland Security to bust down my door and give me a full body cavity search at any moment. At least I've had some beers to get me in the mood.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

AA7295
Topic Author

Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:40 am

But it literally looks like I am Spanish (skin color wise). It doesn't even look like fake tan orange. It literally is the color of an orange fruit.

I think I'm gonna ring them up and ask them to do it again. It hasn't been 30days so it shouldn't cost anything.

Regards,
AA7295

bok269

Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:35 pm

As long as it looks "structurally" like you you should be fine. if you are really nervous about it, call the consulate and ask them.
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

57AZ

Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:48 pm

Could be a quality control issue at the plant that manufactured the passport. I just received my renewed passport and noticed one of the security feature changes. In the new passports, the photograph is not placed on the inside of the cover but is printed on the inside of the first page of the passport. That makes it much more difficult to change the photograph image.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

zak

Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:04 pm

Quoting AA7295 (Reply 3):
But it literally looks like I am Spanish (skin color wise). It doesn't even look like fake tan orange. It literally is the color of an orange fruit.

having lived in spain, i have problems remembering that spanish people have the color of an orange fruit (skin color wise).
it might be more appropiate to just mention a problem with your passport, leaving out any stereotypical crap.
10=2