September11
Topic Author

Little Storytelling: Rare Chore I Did Today

Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:43 am

People,

I had my car oil changed this past weekend. After I left the oil change place, I took a look at my car engine. And it was dusty. I guess they don't have the time to clean all people's car engines!

But, I wondered what folks at oil change place think of my engine's appearance.

So I decided to "polish" my car engine area this evening - just to give an impression on oil change place folks next time I go there. I wish I had taken a picture of my car engine area prior to cleaning it.

Last Saturday, I bought this stuff (and towels for car cleaning) at an Auto Zone store, not far from my home:

2 days later (this evening), I found the time to clean my car engine area. I opened my car hood for the 2nd time this weekend -- I told myself this, "Sure enough my engine looked dirty, better start cleaning now". I used car engine cleaner with towel and proceeded - I basically wiped most parts.

Now my car engine area looks brighter (but I am not done, I will clean again later on this week to make it even look brighter):

Under my car hood was in serious need of dusting so I clean wiped it with car engine cleaner (foam was foamy and easy to spread with towel). You could tell I missed some areas (lol):

Now, my car engine area looks whole lot better. I guess I should keep cleaning it on monthly basis. I think it does help my car engine last longer. Here is one of the towels I used to clean my car engine area (yes, it looks dirty):

Hope you like my little storytelling - and that someone will do what I did today.
Cheers, Kyle
Airliners.net of the Future

pencrypted

RE: Little Storytelling: Rare Chore I Did Today

Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:48 am

awesome, nothing better than a clean engine bay. Cleaned mine a few days back, but it's a lot smaller than yours, so it probably took a lot less time  laughing 
-Maty

tz757300

Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:05 pm

I should try that sometime. 20 yrs of engine gunk build-up would probably do the car good if I removed it.
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

walter747

Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:11 pm

Well nice job Kyle.

Car Car clean car this is just a filler blah blah
Hussel, Hussel, Husel, Grind, Grind, Grind

September11
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:23 pm

Quoting Walter747 (Reply 3):
Car Car clean car this is just a filler blah blah

Not sorry to read what you typed

Wink

I like the word "gunk", TZ757300

My car battery, tubes, and fluid bottles was gunk (not way too much, though). Now they are not gunk.

walter747

Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:24 pm

Quoting September11 (Reply 4):

Hahaha
Hussel, Hussel, Husel, Grind, Grind, Grind

tz757300

Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:25 pm

gunk

Doesn't make sense a car battery can't be another noun than itself. Gunk = oil, ATF, mud, etc build-up crap
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

September11
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:30 pm

You could be a good teacher... for that matter, no more gunk on my car battery. Gunk was a new word to me today  Smile

KFLLCFII

Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:57 am

Bad move.

That thin layer of sludge actually protects the engine.

Keeps the gaskets and other miscellaneous parts from corroding by preventing exposure to the "outside" elements...
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

CaptOveur

Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:11 am

I'm always afraid to clean mine.. I never know if the gunk is keeping a leak clogged.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

TheCol

Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:14 am

That makes one of us.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

KaiGywer
Crew

Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:14 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 9):
I'm always afraid to clean mine.. I never know if the gunk is keeping a leak clogged.

Nobody looks under there anyways  Silly
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

sv2008

Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:49 am

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 8):
Bad move.

That thin layer of sludge actually protects the engine.

I agree...engines are supposed to be dirty. Cleaning it once a month is crazy. A layer of oil can help protect it even by displacing water. Not only that but some areas are supposed to have oil/grease on them. Harsh Cleaners might even damage some plastic/rubber parts, or even the paint/primer.

The exterior body work, you need to wash and clean that at least once a month properly to protect against corrosion. Don't waste your time on the engine though.

Quote:

I think it does help my car engine last longer.

No, it won't, it'll have the opposite effect possibly. The oil keeps the water out (and chemicals)

Good servicing (Changing the oil and anti-freeze regularly) will make it last longer. Also driving carefully.

[Edited 2007-09-05 23:05:16]

Tom in NO

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:12 am

You ain't kidding there.....if I'm not either adding oil or smelling gasoline with my Caravan, then I'm needing an a/c recharge. (We won't even talk about the electrical system)

Note to self: "no more Dodge's, no more Dodge's".

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

PlymSpotter

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:14 am

I spent a long time under our car a few days ago scrubbing the drive shafts beautifully clean. There was oil leaking from somewhere, my neighbour thought it might be a seal on the shaft so I cleaned it all down and sure enough, there is oil back there again - leaking out of the seal.

Don't bother with the rest of the engine, as other have said, there is no point when nobody is going to see it and most modern cars have too many plastic components anyway.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...