UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

American Athletes And Violation Of The Law(s)

Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:23 pm

ROFLMAO :

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...9/11/pacers.williams.ap/index.html
Extract :
Williams was driving the SUV, which was carrying two other men, for changing lanes without signaling about 12:45 a.m., said Sgt. Matthew Mount, a city police spokesman.

When Williams rolled down the driver's side window, the officer detected a strong odor of marijuana, Mount said. Another officer later found a smoldering cigar-sized marijuana cigarette in the vehicle's ash tray, he said.

Both Williams and the front seat passenger, Roosevelt Rollins, of Memphis, Tenn., were arrested on marijuana possession charges.

"The guy in the front passenger seat, Mr. Rollins, said the marijuana was his and Mr. Williams denied knowledge of the marijuana even being in his car even though you could obviously smell the odor of burnt marijuana," Mount said.

Mount said Williams had no driver's license and instead handed the officer a Tennessee identification card. He said the SUV's license plate had expired in July.

The SUV's back seat passenger was arrested on charges of carrying a gun without a license and theft as the 9 mm handgun had been reported stolen in Collierville, Tenn., according to a police report.

Is it me or is this a common occurrence in professional US sports ?

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

Falcon84

RE: American Athletes And Violation Of The Law(s)

Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:34 pm

Common? No. Does it happen far too often? Absolutely. Athletes, to begin with, think they're indestructable, and above the law in a lot of ways-most of them have been given breaks their whole life because they can shoot the rock, or carry a football, or hit a ball. So they're used to getting their way, and really don't think about consequences, because many of them never have had to think about consequences.

It's a "I'm special" mentality that permeats too many professional and even collegiate athletes, and it will always be a problem, no matter what is tried as a solution.
Work Right, Fly Hard

falstaff

Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:52 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 1):
"I'm special" mentality that permeats too many professional and even collegiate athletes

I saw that a lot when I was in college and I see it in the high school classroom too.

Most pro athletes are great people, that don't get into trouble. But a few sure like to cause trouble. There is a Thug mentality and attitude that is getting into pro sports. You can hear it by some of the music that is played at the ball park. The Thug look is even getting into college teams. Take a look at the new Syracuse football uniforms. Very thug....
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

deltagator

Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:56 pm

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 2):
Take a look at the new Syracuse football uniforms. Very thug....

I was thinking more Pimp Suit than They take the cake for ugly uniforms that Oregon had a stranglehold on for a while.

Quoting UTA_flyinghigh (Thread starter):
Is it me or is this a common occurrence in professional US sports ?

Don't indict the entire US sports industry based on the stupidity of a few peckerwoods. I'm sure this sort of stuff happens with other countries as well.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

Falcon84

Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:10 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 3):
peckerwoods

Damn, I havent' seen/heard that word since "Back To The Future"?  rotfl 
Work Right, Fly Hard

GQfluffy

Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:12 am

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 2):
There is a Thug mentality and attitude that is getting into pro sports.

Other then a few incidents on the ice, you never see this from NHL players. Big grin
This isn't where I parked my car...