zak

Sarkozy Offers Germany Nukes

Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:19 pm

last monday, at a lunch with merkel in meeseburg, sarkozy offered the german government a so far unique partnership.
he offered germany to have authority over the french force de frappe, effectively giving germany and france a joint nuclear deterrant. merkel and steinmeier both declined due to germany being in the nuclear non proliferation treaty.

the way i judge this, is that this was political symbolism. sarkozy knew that it would not be accepted, but given the way diplomacy works, offering another country shared authority over the last stance in a strategical arsenal of a country, his message gets across: a) france has no more fear of ze germans and b) our countries are to be seen as unit, especially in regard to international politics

i welcome this very much. i have not expected such a visionary statement and unprecedented statement before. i salute you, sarko.
10=2

airtran737

RE: Sarkozy Offers Germany Nukes

Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:25 pm

Do you have a link?

filler
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

zak

Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:30 pm

10=2

gkirk

Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:49 pm

Is Bush now planning to invade France and Germany after hearing this?  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Klaus

Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:54 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 3):
Is Bush now planning to invade France and Germany after hearing this?

I wouldn't be surprised. But I guess somebody finally told him that the US troops are already here...

Sarko's still in stunt mode, apparently. It will be interesting to watch how he'll be faring when he's forced to actually tackle the very real problems France actually has instead of merely putting on a show.

JGPH1A

Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:56 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 3):
Is Bush now planning to invade France and Germany after hearing this?

I thought he'd been planning this for years - it's his "October Surprise" for next year. He intends to fire all UMP members from the civil service and hand over France's huge multi-billion dollar cheese industry to Halliburton. Of course, nobody in France will notice, and simply assume that the tourists are late this year, but at least they came.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers