johnboy

Best Buy Calls Police Over Loan Application

Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:54 pm

http://consumerist.com/consumer/ques...r-loan-application-home-301589.php

I can't quite figure this one out....the guy takes a completed loan application from the store, and Best Buy does everything in its power to keep him from leaving, and has the police waiting at his home when he arrives?

(that he works for Homeland Security is a bit ironic, eh?)

airfoilsguy

RE: Best Buy Calls Police Over Loan Application

Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:26 pm

It seems that the idiots are running amok. Why a clerk would call the police over someone taking a piece of paper is beyond me. Sounds like a clash of egos.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

ltbewr

Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:50 pm

I can understand the customer wanting to take the un-filed application home as it had a lot of critical personal information that could be valuable to a identity thief. Identity theft is a very serious crime and a horrendous situation to it's victims. There have been cases of employees of stores stealing credit card numbers, and critical identity info for their own criminal use or to sell for money. For Best Buy, they also may have wanted the un-filed application for certain legal reasons, including as to racial discrimination or 'redlining', to prove not denying credit to persons in areas with high percentages of low income and non-white residents.

airfoilsguy

Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:52 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 2):

Very true. But the clerk at Best Buy went over board in calling the police. The police have better things to do then chase down people who "steal" paper.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

ShyFlyer

Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:03 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 3):
The police have better things to do then chase down people who "steal" paper.

Apparently these don't:

Quote:
The police threatened Mr. Quilty with arrest if he didn't turn over the paperwork, which Best Buy apparently needed in order to prove that Mr.Quilty had applied for the loan. In the end, the police accepted the torn up pieces of the application.

I just don't understand why police officers would threaten arrest over loan paperwork.
I lift things up and put them down.

AsstChiefMark

Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:11 am

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 4):
I just don't understand why police officers would threaten arrest over loan paperwork.

Maybe there's a fine print clause printed on it that says it's the property of Best Buy and shall not be removed from the premises.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

andessmf

Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:18 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 3):
The police have better things to do then chase down people who "steal" paper.

People who steal paper can run up thousands in fake charges in no time.

smcmac32msn

Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:37 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 6):
People who steal paper can run up thousands in fake charges in no time.

With their own name and information on it? Did you read the article?
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

andessmf

Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:51 am

Quoting Smcmac32msn (Reply 7):
With their own name and information on it?

Yes.

My wife just had her purse stolen, and the bastards did quite a bit of shopping, with our checks.

To make a long story short, WE HAD to give all the information to the stores to prove that WE did not make these purchases. Why? Any idiot could get these forms, fill them, take it with them, run charges, and then claim that it was not them.

asuflyer05

Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:04 pm

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 4):

Here's why it is a serious issue:
1.) Customer enters store and applies for credit.
2.) Store fills out app with customer and runs credit placing their name on bureau.
3.) Customer leaves store with credit application with his signature on it. Then goes home and runs credit bureau to find 'Best Buy's inquiry.
4.) Customer sues store for illegally obtaining information.
5.) Store tells customer he agreed to have credit run when he signed the app.
6.) Customer tells Best Buy to produce the credit application.
7.) Customer wins lawsuit because they do not proof of authorization to run credit.

CupraIbiza

Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:09 pm

Totally ridiculous waste of resources. On the flip side he could have gone back into the store and told them to rip the application into thousands of pieces while he watched. Problem solved
Everyday is a gift…… but why does it have to be a pair of socks?

ShyFlyer

Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:27 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 5):
fine print clause

Quoting Asuflyer05 (Reply 9):

All good points. Thanks, gentlemen, for sharing.  thumbsup 

PSA53

Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:44 pm

Quilty said he picked up his paperwork, which he had signed, and intended to go to the rear of the store and talk to the sales rep.

"But the clerk shouted that I can't take the application," Quilty said. "She said it belongs to the store."

Best Buy's spokesman said the clerk was following proper procedure.

Quilty said at this point he decided to leave the store - and take the loan application with him.

The clerk again insisted he leave the loan application behind.

Quilty ignored her and headed toward the door.

The clerk then shouted out to a security guard.

The security guard told Quilty to stop and return the loan application.

Quilty kept on walking out of the store and into the parking lot.

PSA53:My comments,

I was discharged for this very issue from the Shack.Every officer from District,Regional and Divisional Managers have repeated time after time,that credit applications that are called in with an answer, will not leave the store.When a customer refused,I gave her three warnings,including to point out to her that she volunteer to give her information to us and that we were doing nothing differently from any other retailer in this request.When she deciding to refuse,I became confused,because company policy was not to allow the application out of the store.I called my salesmakers to witness of what was about to do and I grab the application out of the customer hands without touching her.To this day,both of now,former employees,said I never touched her.But she raised hell,accused me of touching her,and company decided
to wash their hands on the matter by firing me.

I was told,by another manager of a store, that one week after my dismissal,that the District Officer instructed the crew to "simply give the app to the customer." after we were told not to.While I hold no anger against no one and being self
employed is a promotion in being my own boss,companies needs to explained or train their employees in what to do when a customer refuses.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

skidmarks

Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:09 pm

Nobody ever heard of photocopiers over there then? If the customer wanted a copy that is surely the simplest option.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

ManuCH
Crew

Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:28 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 13):
Nobody ever heard of photocopiers over there then? If the customer wanted a copy that is surely the simplest option.

The point is that the customer wanted the original, in order to avoid the store having it, because it contains sensitive information.

Couldn't he just have asked the employee to shred the application?
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

skidmarks

Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:46 pm

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 14):
The point is that the customer wanted the original, in order to avoid the store having it, because it contains sensitive information.

Couldn't he just have asked the employee to shred the application?

Indeed. All I was trying to get at was that there has to be a simpler, less dramatic and time-wasting solution. Ah well, that's progress! Big grin

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

Flighty

Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:50 pm

Definitely a hard case. Usually I have some provocative opinion on things but this time I am stumped. Evidently, the store will NOT throw the paper away. They file all that. They are probably all stored in a mountain somewhere.

asuflyer05

Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:22 am

It all goes back to the Privacy Act and the principle of safeguarding. They assume it is illegal to run a person's credit without a signed application. So if you ran credit and no longer have the application, they assume you lost it or tossed it. And that shows you do not have a policy for safeguarding personal information.

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 11):

All good points. Thanks, gentlemen, for sharing.

I just accidentally reread my post and it sounded snotty to me. I didn't mean for that tone to come across.

Quoting Flighty (Reply 16):
Definitely a hard case. Usually I have some provocative opinion on things but this time I am stumped. Evidently, the store will NOT throw the paper away. They file all that. They are probably all stored in a mountain somewhere.

Pretty much. There is a time limit that the company needs to hang on to those credit apps. The dealership group I used to work for, would audit the individual dealers it owned to see if they had those credit apps.

They would pull a list of people's credit we ran from two years ago. Then the auditor would pull the apps from that timeframe and make sure we had them on file. If not, corporate would charge the dealership $11,000 fine per incident.

ShyFlyer

Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:30 am

Quoting Asuflyer05 (Reply 17):
I didn't mean for that tone to come across.

It's all good. I didn't take it that way anyway. Big grin