UH60FtRucker
Topic Author

Said Goodbye To My Bike. Hello Boat?

Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:45 pm

Sad date today.

I finally sold my bike. ?

Back in 2004 I bought the Yamaha YZF-R1 (after selling my 01 Honda CBR600F4). I still remember how I almost killed myself pulling out of the dealer's parking lot. One moment I was at a stand still, the next I was approaching 100mph! God, what an incredible machine!

Well after I got back from deployment, I took a ride by myself down to Nashville. I was doing well over 100mph on the highway, and I realized how freakin' stupid I was being. That whole "invincible paradox" I was warned about when I came back home. And then with news of twins on the way, I knew it was time to move on from the bike. Riding a super bike at insane speeds was not something a young father ought to be doing.

Sold it to my neighbor today.

SO, since I am going to need some new toy to occupy my time and wallet, I was thinking about about a boat. I considered jet skis, but they'd be impractical for a young family. Yet, I'm great at water skiing and wake boarding... but I know nothing about what makes a "good" boat. I'd like something with power with an inboard-outboard engine, and preferably a bowrider.

Anyone here own a boat, have any good tips/suggestions?

-UH60

[Edited 2007-09-28 10:52:25]
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

KevinL1011

RE: Said Goodbye To My Bike. Hello Boat?

Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:13 pm

Definition :Boat
Noun. A hole in the water, surrounded by either fiberglass or wood, in which you pour money in to.

The best days in the life of a boat owner. The day he/she buys it and the day he/she sells it.

A wise man once said:
"If it Flys, Floats or Fucks. It's cheaper to rent it."

I dunno dude. If you already own a home , cool. If not, save for that.

Maybe buy a muscle car that will appreciate.
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

airfoilsguy

Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:17 pm

Get a fountain, awsome boat!!

It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

AFC_Ajax00

Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:18 pm

Quoting KevinL1011 (Reply 1):
A wise man once said:

Hahaha not only is that funny, there may actually be some truth to that phrase!
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you long to return

ORFflyer

Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:02 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Thread starter):
I was thinking about about a boat

You joining the Navy?  duck   Wink

with an inboard-outboard engine

I dunno. Nowadays, I hear that the reliability of the I/O has fallen farther than Britney Spears' career. I believe that the outboards of today are much better. But I don't own a boat, and am only going on rumors.

airfoilsguy

Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:17 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 4):
I dunno. Nowadays, I hear that the reliability of the I/O has fallen farther than Britney Spears' career. I believe that the outboards of today are much better. But I don't own a boat, and am only going on rumors.

They are both very reliable now a days, it just depends on how you use your boat as to what option you chose. I have driven boats with both and have never had a problem.

ORFflyer

Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:20 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 5):
They are both very reliable now a days, it just depends on how you use your boat as to what option you chose. I have driven boats with both and have never had a problem.

checkmark 

I remember back in the day, you had to work all week on your outboard so it would run on the weekend....  biggrin 

airfoilsguy

Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:27 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 6):
I remember back in the day, you had to work all week on your outboard so it would run on the weekend....

Boats builders use the same logic that plane builders use in that 2 engines is better then one. That is why most sane people, myself included, will never go far out into the ocean with boat that only has one engine.

KevinL1011

Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:28 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 7):
That is why most sane people, myself included, will never go far out into the ocean with boat that only has one engine.

Unless it's a sail boat!  Wink

767Lover

Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:29 pm

LOL. Honey, you don't know what you're about to get into with having TWINS.

Basically, you are not going to have time to do much of anything recreational, let alone take the better part of a day to go boating.

As someone suggested earlier, perhaps a muscle car will appease you for a while---at least you can drive it running errands, thus killing two birds with one stone.

Then when the kids are older, a boat might be more practical.

KevinL1011

Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:38 pm

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 9):

WHAT? TWINS?
Jeezus H. tap dancing Christ!
And you're thinking about a BOAT?
Get a grip man.

As someone suggested earlier, perhaps a muscle car

Yeah....that guy really knows his stuff.  sarcastic 
Graduate Cum Loud, University of Hard Knocks.
Majored in Fucking Up Administration.
Minor in Damage Control and Recovery Sciences.
 biggrin 
Listen to reason UH60, don't do it!

airfoilsguy

Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:39 pm

Basically, you are not going to have time to do much of anything recreational, let alone take the better part of a day to go boating.

True, the boat will probably sit most of the time. I am with 767lover, get a sports car with 4 seats even though even the fastest car will seem slow compared to a crotch rocket. Luckily I am still single.  Smile.

Big version: Width: 550 Height: 412 File size: 66kb

Queso

Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:00 pm

Riding a super bike at insane speeds was not something a young father ought to be doing.

checkmark  That's exactly the same thing that happened to my motorcycle 15 years ago. I traded it for (of all things) a ham radio a friend had.

stlgph

Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:05 pm

The Good -- Boating is very enjoyable

The Bad -- It's very expensive.

The Ugly -- It can be very very expensive.

A "day out" can cost you an entire 20 - 30 gallon tank and depending on where you boat, you get raped with higher gas prices than you pay on the street, unless you're able to tank up and carry it down to the dock ... then you're making 3 or 4 trips up and down the piers and to the gas station to fill up the little red cans.

Then on top of it, there's the maintenance. Boats aren't easy to fix and they can be damaged by all kinds of stuff ... hit something under the water and only having to replace a $125 - $250 prop ... consider yourself lucky. Driving a boat isn't driving a car ... each boat handles differently in the winds and if you don't know how to veer into the wind when you're docking and flip it back to the middle at the last minute, you've got hull damage. Wintering a boat can cost up to several hundred dollars as well.

There's all kinds of bowriders out there. But for young children, the Mastercrafts and the Regals are almost impractical. Unless you're leaving them behind and just have a need for speed, then you're good to go. A good transitional boat that works between the "two" styles of going fast and going slow is more along the lines of a deck boat ... plenty of room and accessories for a family and if you need the speed factor ... it's there. My family has a a few boats. With the Hurricane, we've had plenty of enjoyment and use out of it going slow and fast as hell, but like I said, at 300 horsepower, it sucks down the gas, even when going in slower speeds. Hella storage space and you can get up to about 14 people in it. The Hurricane can be problematic in slow speeds especially with wind involved, because the weight of the engine in the back. The wind can really screw you over when docking as I mentioned earlier and thus it definitely takes practice ... and should only really be driven by someone that knows what they're doing ... same concept when going in reverse and pulling out of peers ... turn to the right to position yourself heading left and more often than not you'll find yourself stuck going in a 45 degree angle towards the right and unable to get out of it no matter how much you turn the wheel in the other direction or slow up or slow down. It's not a boat to be owning if you've got limited maneuvering space for docking.

The Mastercraft just isn't practical to have or take out if you aren't going to be flying across the water like a bat out of hell and you aren't doing any type of water sports ... but you can only get about 4 people or so in there comfortable, storage space is limited. The Mastercraft doesn't require as much carefulness as the Hurricane when it comes to maintenance concerns, *but* if you take out the prop, you can cause a nice deal of damage with the engine if you managed to damage the prop shaft ... and you can also take out the rudder, too, since the rudders are separate, causing damage to the steering system in addition to just having to buy a new rudder. Hitting something on the underside outside of any type of hull damage can set you back probably $1000 easily on that. The Mastercraft's weight is basically in the back of the boat, right behind the driver, and the boat turns around that, it's not as problematic as the other boats in that the wind doesn't affect it as much, but you have to learn to steer with the center of the engine as the focal turning point and the front of the boat working around it.

The Pontoon, of course, goes slower, it's more for recreational enjoyment only, gets much *much* better gas mileage, and has a good amount of storage space ... but nothing like the Hurricane. The maintenance costs on it are pretty minimal compared to the others. They're also more user/driver friendly ... they handle better at slow speeds and respond to the controls when it comes to pulling in and out of dock areas, particularly tighter docking areas ... *but* they are also affected by the winds. Pontoons overall have a longer lasting life ... they also age better. They're just slower and it's often times harder to use them for fishing and whatever. But they do make good party decks ... we've had up to 22 people on our pontoon before.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

KevinL1011

Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:23 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 12):
That's exactly the same thing that happened to my motorcycle 15 years ago. I traded it for (of all things) a ham radio a friend had.

That reminds me of....
" You traded the Caddy for a microphone?"

"OK.....I can see that. "

Queso

Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:40 pm

Quoting Stlgph (Reply 13):

Damn, Gavin! Sounds like you really know your boats! That makes me want to go get one now that I know so much about it!

Quoting KevinL1011 (Reply 14):
"OK.....I can see that. "

It seemed like a good trade at the time. Yeah, kinda like the movie!

AGM100

Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:52 pm

Maclaren Twin check out those racing harnesses !

Big version: Width: 266 Height: 400 File size: 19kb
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

stlgph

Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:53 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 15):
Damn, Gavin! Sounds like you really know your boats! That makes me want to go get one now that I know so much about it!

hey ... I have my butch moments.

I'm surprised you don't have one. Get an older one and you can cover it up and use it for duck hunting. All you need's an old flat bottom and slap an old 20 horsepower outboard on it with maybe a trolling motor and you're good to go.

EMBQA

Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:08 pm

Right now is a good time to start shopping with fall coming. Hit up some of the places around Old Hickory and Priest.. you find find a good deal. I know a guy that bought a Triton Bass Boat up near you for a steal. Right place-Right time
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

Queso

Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:14 pm

Quoting STLGph (Reply 17):
I'm surprised you don't have one. Get an older one and you can cover it up and use it for duck hunting. All you need's an old flat bottom and slap an old 20 horsepower outboard on it with maybe a trolling motor and you're good to go.

Sounds a little too redneck for me.  Wink

The only problem is from where I live it's 250 miles to the nearest pond where you could float a boat. At least I can go 25 miles to the Monahans or Kermit Sand Hills and use a surf board.

Seriously though, I've thought about getting a boat lately, too. And it would probably be a small, slow one with a flat bottom and a 20 hp motor and a trolling motor.

huskyaviation

Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:35 pm

I love boats, but they are unending money pits. Growing up, my grandfather had a 1987 Silverton 34-footer that we would take out on Barnegat Bay in New Jersey. A bigger boat than maybe you're considering, but boats are never boring, and sometimes not in a good way.

The anchor once got hooked on an underwater buoy cable. We couldn't get it off (the buoy line was so taut it could take off your finger easily) so we had to cut the anchor. That was several thousand dollars to get that replaced.

The steering line once snapped, and we had to come in by steering with just the engines during a big thunderstorm, which wasn't easy to do because the boat was docked in a narrow lagoon. My dad took a dive into the lagoon trying to jump onto the dock to get the boat moored. That was expensive to fix (the boat, not my dad).

Both propellers got bent when we hit a submerged log in the bay. That was a LOT of money.

One of the engines went out in the bay, and we had to come in on one engine. I don't remember what was wrong with it, but I remember my grandfather being extremely pissed about getting that repaired.

Other things happened too. It's always something with a boat. Always. LOL.

stlgph

Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:08 am

Quoting HuskyAviation (Reply 20):
Both propellers got bent when we hit a submerged log in the bay. That was a LOT of money

When you damage a prop you're hella lucky if you don't damage the engine along with it. And if you get a blade that's slightly bent/damaged, that can wear and tear over time and lead to prop and/or extensive engine damage, in addition to lost fuel cost. If you're out and about and you hit something and you can feel the "ripple" effect from a damaged prop, your next stop better be the marina, asap.

I don't remember what was wrong with it, but I remember my grandfather being extremely pissed about getting that repaired.

A lot of times with boats, you're pretty much stuck along side the dock until the repairman can come to *you* which right there adds a nice chunk of change on top of any service call.

It's always something with a boat. Always

Mm-hmm. And it only takes just a second or two. This year my family went through just a total of 2 propeller replacements, which we consider almost a damn good year. However, the big doozy, yours truly got caught in a hella wind that came up upon me when I was turning by a bridge and managed to snag the bimini top on an overhang on the Hurricane ... bent it up nicely on the right side, but it'll be a nice $795 to have replaced when we have it winterized.

Pope

Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:28 am

BOAT = Bring On Another Thousand.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

AirCop

Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:45 am

Quoting KevinL1011 (Reply 10):
WHAT? TWINS?
Jeezus H. tap dancing Christ!
And you're thinking about a BOAT?
Get a grip man.

Guys well said; sounds like some one doesn't have a clue what he getting into, oh yes, the wife will be excited that you spent money on a boat, on deployment when the twins come, in short buy a boat and you'll find yourself in the dog house..the last thing you need right now is more toys.

DCrawley

Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:48 am

new toy to occupy my time and wallet, I was thinking about about a boat.

It will occupy a lot more of your wallet than time. I promise.

Yes, I have a 19' Bluewater that's setup for wake boarding (tower, fat sacks, speakers, etc). I'm seriously considering selling it this next summer because the cost of ownership is very high. Between storage fees (I don't use it from September though April and it sits in a nice shed), the price of gas, maintenance (I have never had service performed on my boat that did not cost under $500), licensing, insurance, and general upkeep of my boat, I am not sure it is worth all the money I thought it would be. Also, don't forget to that by 2009 (I think?) you will need to be certified to be the operator of a vessel. You can get that certification by signing up for and attending an 8 hour class (usually on a Saturday) with your local division of the United States Power Squadron: "..its proctored examination meets the requirements of National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) so that you can get your safety certificate in those states that require one to operate a power driven vessel." For more information, visit USPS Educational Department - Public Boating Education Programs.

The best days in the life of a boat owner. The day he/she buys it and the day he/she sells it.

I truly believe that. I heard a way to determine if you will like being a boat owner: get dressed in your boating attire, put on a yellow rain jacket, grab a wad of $100's, go in the shower, turn it on cold, and throw the hundreds while smiling. If you enjoy it, you will love boating.  Wink

Nowadays, I hear that the reliability of the I/O has fallen farther than Britney Spears' career. I believe that the outboards of today are much better. But I don't own a boat, and am only going on rumors.

I would not believe those rumors if I were you..

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 5):

checkmark 

Wintering a boat can cost up to several hundred dollars as well.

::sigh::
Yes, it's true. More money into that money pit they call a boat.. and if you are doing it yourself, you better know what you are doing or else it can take a TON of time. Changing fluids in a boat is not like doing it in a car, airplane, or motorcycle. Some fluids require a pump just to put them in so there are no bubbles!

Anyways, if you are going to get a boat, beware of all the hidden costs. They are a joy to use (when functioning correctly), but for the limited number of hours you use one per year, the costs are extremely high. I am not trying to discourage you from boating, but you do need to see the other side of it besides the fun.
"Weather at our destination is 50 degrees with some broken clouds, but they'll try to have them fixed before we arrive."

airfoilsguy

Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:24 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 2):
Get a fountain, awsome boat!!

Oh, by the way, I was joking about the Fountain, they are great boats but think about this, the last time I went out on a Fountain we spent about $300 on gas alone.
The best thing you can do, if you still think you want to get a boat, is find someone who already has one and go out a few times with them. That will give you a idea of what boat ownership is like.

PHLBOS

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:16 am

have any good tips/suggestions?

According to your profile and what you've posted in the past, your wife's expecting twins and you are scheduled to be redeployed this November... is that correct? If so, might I suggest something a bit smaller, cheaper and probably more practical.
http://www.smarthome.com/images/32092side1big.jpg

Big grin

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 6):
I remember back in the day, you had to work all week on your outboard so it would run on the weekend

My father did that w/an Evinrude 5 hp outboard he had for his 25 ft., hand-built, tri-moran. The boat took him about 4 years to build. It was only utilized for 2 maybe 3 summers. He had to sell it due to financial reasons (he was laid off from his job at GE).

As someone suggested earlier, perhaps a muscle car will appease you for a while---at least you can drive it running errands, thus killing two birds with one stone.

Then when the kids are older, a boat might be more practical.

checkmark  Well said.

Maybe buy a muscle car that will appreciate.

Compared to a boat, a Mustang (coupe or ragtop) might be your best bet.

Quoting Pope (Reply 22):

checkmark 

Another thing to consider (since you are residing in New England), is where will you be doing your boating? Just like salt on the roads (during the winter months) eats away at a vehicle's undercarriage; salt water (from the Massachusetts Bay) will NOT be your boat's friend.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

LAXspotter

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:24 am

Well after I got back from deployment, I took a ride by myself down to Nashville. I was doing well over 100mph on the highway, and I realized how freakin' stupid I was being. That whole "invincible paradox" I was warned about when I came back home. And then with news of twins on the way, I knew it was time to move on from the bike. Riding a super bike at insane speeds was not something a young father ought to be doing.

Man, you make me want to get a bike.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

sprout5199

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:51 am

Screw getting a boat. Save the money and use it to hire a babysitter every week so you and Mrs UH60 can have some time by yourselves without the kids(Nice dinner, good club/bar/whatever you what to do, long weekend type of stuff).You will get more use out of this, she will agree to it also, and believe me, it will keep you sane(my ex and I had dart night, steel tip of course).

If you do get a boat(don't do it), just remember, go-fasts are fun for teenagers and such, not so fun for families. Get something with a good top to protect against the sun, with a lot of deck space, and a good motor(one of the new 4 stroke outboards is a good choice). Twin-vee's are nice, but down here there are a lot of nice boats. Most boats here are at least 20 foot to go into the ocean, and if you don't have a truck, you are going to need something to pull it. Then as everyone else has said, the need to store it. Here in FL we don't have to "winterize" it so can't speak about that.

A wise man once said:

So true.

Best Bet: find a friend who owns a boat and go with him/brorrow it from him.

Even Better Bet: Have said friend watch the kids while you borrow it. You break the boat ---he gets to keep a kid, he breaks a kid -- you keep the boat.Either way you win.  razz 

Dan in Jupiter

AGM100

Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:08 am

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 26):
might I suggest something a bit smaller, cheaper and probably more practical.

rotfl 

Hey I have one of those ,, works great by the way !! Little under powered though !
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

stlgph

Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:33 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 25):
The best thing you can do, if you still think you want to get a boat, is find someone who already has one and go out a few times with them. That will give you a idea of what boat ownership is like.

It's like thinking about putting in a pool, give your neighbor a $1,000 a year and talk them into letting you use it with them.

fxramper

Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:39 am

Sold it to my neighbor today.

When my folks got married my Mom made my Dad sell both his bikes - a Harley and a Honda.  crying 

Anyone here own a boat

Bayliner 19'

Reliable, easy maintenance, relatively cheap to purchase, and hold their value well!

That's ma boat!

bristolflyer

Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:40 am

If you want a runabout for the family and want to do a bit of wakeboarding then an I/O would be best. Reliability is tyhe same across all types of boats.

If you like wakeboarding and want a decent wake then an inboard or preferably a V-drive is best. Check out the discussion forums on www.wakeworld.com for more info - but prepared to get flamed if you ask 'which I/O is best for wakeboarding', in the same way that you would if you posted on a.net 'which is best, Airbus or Boeing?').

I spend a lot of time boating, I love it. Just so relaxing.
Fortune favours the brave

UH60FtRucker
Topic Author

Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:50 am

You joining the Navy?

crazy  Agh, I hadn't thought of that! lol!

perhaps a muscle car will appease you for a while---at least you can drive it running errands, thus killing two birds with one stone.

Yeah I considered that too.

Basically I just want a toy. I loved my bike, and I have some really great memories with that thing, but it was simply too dangerous for me to be messing around with. I am financially stable, my wife makes considerably more than I do - and I already make decent pay. We're both contributing heavily into savings. I own my house. And I have money invested in the markets.

So even with babies on the way... I still have a nice stack of "play money." But I hadn't realized just how expensive boats can be. What I had planned on setting aside, and what I've learned here, don't match up.

Wow Gavin! Who would have ever guessed you were so knowledgeable, when it came boating!

[quote=Stlgph,reply=13]Then on top of it, there's the maintenance. Boats aren't easy to fix and they can be damaged by all kinds of stuff ... hit something under the water and only having to replace a $125 - $250 prop ... consider yourself lucky. Driving a boat isn't driving a car ... each boat handles differently in the winds and if you don't know how to veer into the wind when you're docking and flip it back to the middle at the last minute, you've got hull damage. Wintering a boat can cost up to several hundred dollars as well.

Well I really appreciate the thorough explanation. You've definitely "opened my eyes" to what I potentially could be getting myself into. I honestly hadn't considered a lot of those additional costs.

Quoting STLGph (Reply 17):
hey ... I have my butch moments.

lol, I guess so!

unending money pits.

several thousand dollars to get that replaced

replace a $125 - $250 prop ... consider yourself lucky

hull damage can set you back probably $1000 easily on that.

Quoting STLGph (Reply 21):
repairman can come to *you* which right there adds a nice chunk of change on top of any service call.

Quoting STLGph (Reply 21):
but it'll be a nice $795 to have replaced when we have it winterized.

Quoting Pope (Reply 22):

... all of those comments have a reoccurring theme: $$$$.

I'm not worried that I wouldn't be able to afford it, but after what all of you have explained, I'm not sure I'm willing to devote such a large amount of time and effort to this!

Quoting AirCop (Reply 23):
you'll find yourself in the dog house..

Nah.

My wife isn't like that. We have an aggressive savings plan, and she is understanding when it comes to me wanting a toy/hobby.

your wife's expecting twins and you are scheduled to be redeployed this November... is that correct

We found out we were having a baby back in May, then we learned it was twins, then I learned I wasn't going to be deployed in November.

I was going to deploy with another unit, but instead I am going to stay with my current unit. I will be remaining stateside, because I will be attending the new transition course to the UH-60M model (the latest and greatest model, with glass cockpit, improved flying, safety, etc...)

So I will be here for the entire pregnancy and birth. I guess I should re-edit my profile!

Another thing to consider (since you are residing in New England), is where will you be doing your boating? Just like salt on the roads (during the winter months) eats away at a vehicle's undercarriage; salt water (from the Massachusetts Bay) will NOT be your boat's friend.

I'm actually not in the northeast. I grew up there, and went to college there... but I stationed at Fort Campbell, and live off base.

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 27):

Man, you make me want to get a bike.

They're such awesome machines. There is nothing like that acceleration factor - opening up that throttle and be passing 100mphs in a matter of seconds. The rush is intense! Not to mention that having a hot chick riding with you, squeezing tight, is also a great perk!

But I wouldn't recommend the Yamaha R1 for a beginner. It has a lot of power, and people who are inexperienced may get bucked off, wheely unexpectedly or just not be able to control that much power. But there are some amazing bikes out there that even beginners can enjoy.

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 16):
Maclaren Twin check out those racing harnesses !

roftl 

----------------------------------------------

Anyway, thanks everyone for the responses. I definitely learned more than I could have wished for. I still want a boat, but I think it's something I should years from now. I hadn't realized that it could be so expensive.

But I still want something to fill that "adrenaline fix" I crave! I gotta come up with some different options.

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

Springbok747

Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:58 am

Hello Boat?

Maybe you need to get something like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/Springbok747/canadian_navy.jpg

biggrin 
אני תומך בישראל

stlgph

Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:03 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 33):
I'm not sure I'm willing to devote such a large amount of time and effort to this!

You'll eventually get your boat, and you will learn as it comes with time, that these "things" happen. However, just wait until it's July 2nd, you go out and can't start your boat because one of the plugs won't fire. And since you're 20th in line and have to wait for the repairman to come out to your place, figure out the problem, then come back and fix the problem, you have to wait three weeks ... and your boat just sits there for that Fourth of July holiday, plus the two golden weeks of summer.

And cost of fixing a spark plug? If it's under $200-ish consider yourself lucky.

bill142

Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:04 am

Ask Jafa39, he's in Auckland where there are more boats then people.

bristolflyer

Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:10 am

I still want a boat, but I think it's something I should years from now. I hadn't realized that it could be so expensive.

Boating is a great family past time. However if you just want to go wakeboarding and not have the headache/expense of boat ownership there are a lot of people that will take you out (usually to make up the numbers so they are legal for watersports). It's normal to chip in for fuel/beer but a lot cheaper than owning. I have some good friends I have met from 'being a third'.
Fortune favours the brave

sprout5199

Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:27 am

You joining the Navy?

Agh, I hadn't thought of that! lol!

Bite me. Guess you didn't score high enough on the asvabs(do they even have it still?) to join the NAVY.

But I still want something to fill that "adrenaline fix" I crave! I gotta come up with some different options.

Hmmm, how can I put this, first time you realize what breasts are for (found out one night in the shower---breast milk is sort of sweet) now thats an "adrenaline fix".

Seriously, WAIT till the kids come. I know all the "Manly" guys here will say do it, however, just wait. I have said it before, having a child(or two) will change your life like NOTHING else. If after a year, then ok. For now, to get your adrenaline fix, fix up the kids room(buy LOTS of power tools---"but honey its to do the kids room"as he fires up the chain saw). Just remember Mrs UH60 runs the house now(thats just the way it is, no denying it), so you better spend your money on her. And just think of the return on your investment if you do.

Having 2 daughters, I have learned a few things. 1. USE A RUBBER (just kidding) 2. No matter how much you want your life to stay the same it will not(you sold your bike didn't you?)
3. Momma rules the roost 4. Be willing to drive her 75 miles at 2am to get Krispy Kream doughnuts(and wait 20 minutes till the "Hot Doughnuts" sign lights up) 5. Momma rules the roost 6. Aint nothing better than holding your new baby(babies) and leaning over and kissing your wife(after she has called you every name in the book, swearing you will NEVER touch her again, you rotten bastard--child birth, aint it wonderful) 7. Did I say Momma rules the roost? Sorry for the little rant.

Dan in Jupiter

LOT767-300ER

Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:49 am

I would consider one of these:

You can park it in your garage.

One day upgrade also:

sprout5199

Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:55 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 39):
One day upgrade also:

Or this:

Dan in Jupiter

LOT767-300ER

Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:58 am

Quoting Sprout5199 (Reply 40):
Or this:

Good point.

Whenever someone asks me if I had one thing I could drive in for the rest of my life my answer is always a hovercraft. Imagine you dont need to stop for ocean, river or lake...you just go right through it. That is just sweet.

sprout5199

Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:03 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 41):
Whenever someone asks me if I had one thing I could drive in for the rest of my life my answer is always a hovercraft.

My answer is always Shania Twain, but thats just me.

Dan in Jupiter

davestanKSAN

Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:18 am

How about getting a track car, and racing it on weekends. You can join your local SCCA chapter (sports car club of America) and club race at your local race tracks. The only thing is, racing can be quite expensive, but if you're looking for a thrill (actually I shouldn't be talking to you about that    ), there's not much short of racing on a track that fulfills that void in my book  .

edit: or you could buy a go-kart. It sounds lame, but these things fly. The higher series carts (shifter cart, I think 125cc) can reach like over 100 mph, pull like 3 1/2 g's and you're only sitting literally inches above the ground. It's how a lot of big name racing drivers got their start.

Dave

[Edited 2007-09-29 02:23:15]
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

MCOflyer

Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:31 am

Yes I have owned three in the past 4 years.

My first one cost was a row boat and was not a money pit.

Flats skiff was and I could go out all day on 6 gallons with the 25HP merc on the back.

Now I co own the dingy to my dads 35ft Regal. Great boat that is fuel efficient with the Four-stroke motor.

Quoting FXramper (Reply 31):
Bayliner 19

Do you have a 3.0 Mercruiser with a Alpha One drive on that? If so, that must be slow.

I still want a boat,

Get a boat that is economical.

How about a jet-ski? Yamaha and Kawasaki make some good fast ones.

Since you have a family, look at a 17ft bow-rider powered by a 150HP outboard that is a four-stroke. They get better gas mileage and the tank can last you a long time.

Here are some boat manufactures that fit your needs:

http://www.glastron.com/

http://www.fourwinns.com/

http://www.bayliner.com/

http://www.seaproboats.com/

http://www.godfreymarine.com/index_hurricane.cfm

If you need advice, feel free to IM me or PM me on boat info. My family has owned various boats and if you need to go used, let me aid in your search. Also take a boat safety course offered by the Coast Guard Auxiliary.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

BCNGRO

Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:21 am

Quoting Sprout5199 (Reply 40):
Or this:

What about this:

The convertible Aquada Sports Amphibian. Starting at only $300,000.
At the bus station, buses stop. At the train station, trains stop. At my desk, I have a work station.

MCOflyer

Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:51 am

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff214/commander100/2001%20Yamaha%20GP1200R%20waverunner/6ea8.jpg

Buy one of these. You tow the family on a inner tuber or go out with your wife.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

PPVRA

Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:28 am

Bests thing is to wait for a local Boat Show (or fly to a nearby one) and check what's available.

In the mean time, if a jet-ski doesn't work, perhaps a compromise will do:

"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat