Braybuddy
Topic Author

Oslo Recommendations

Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:59 pm

I'm looking for recommendations for restaurants, things to do and gay bars/clubs in Oslo. I realise that it's one of the most expensive cities in the world, so we don't expect eating to be cheap, but somewhere with good food for around 75 euro per head (incl wine) for dinner. Preferably somewhere with a buzz.

Apart from city tours, is there anything unusual/interesting to see or do?

And finally, some up-to-date information on the more popular gay bars and clubs, with opening hours and admission/drinks prices.

Thanks in advance!

swiftski

RE: Oslo Recommendations

Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:02 pm

I was only there for a day so can't really offer much help, however I would warn you that if you are flying from Ireland into TRF instead of OSL that the bus ride is 270Kr and takes longer than the flight, so be prepared. It's timed to arrivals.

Just a friendly heads up  Smile

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:01 pm

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 1):
TRF instead of OSL that the bus ride is 270Kr and takes longer than the flight

Yeah sure The joys of flying Ryanair.

That's 35 euro  eek  I hope you're talking return here . . .

swiftski

Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:16 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 2):
The joys of flying Ryanair.

That's 35 euro I hope you're talking return here . . .

Yes yes. Student discount though..if you can blag that!!

http://www.torpekspressen.no/billettpriser%2020070601.htm

I got it on one of the 0.01 incl taxes fares, so it would be pretty rich of me to complain.

Hope you got better weather than I did!

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:33 pm

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 3):
I got it on one of the 0.01 incl taxes fares, so it would be pretty rich of me to complain.

Lol! Us too. So the bus fare is nearly the same price as the flight!

Quoting Swiftski (Reply 3):
Hope you got better weather than I did!

Don't worry. We're used to that.

babybus

Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:07 pm

Oslo is just a nice city to walk around. There isn't that much to do really and nothing to knock your socks off.

Karl Johans Gate is the real city centre and it's best to stay somewhere around there as it's a transport hub. For sights there is the art gallery ("The Scream" was it's most famous painting till it got nicked) but still interesting. There's a big park with big nude statues in it called Vigland I think, and the castle area is good too for a few hours. Hopefully you're only going for a day or two.

If you get stuck try getting a local commuter boat from the harbour around the outer islands. There's a train that takes you up a mountain to a ski lodge with a nice restaurant and then you walk back down past a ski jump and ski museum. I can't remember the names but if it sounds good I'll email my mate in oslo to get the precise names.

The resturants aren't so expensive but they are good value for money. You tend to get rolls, salad buffet bar and a soft drink thrown in the price.

Can't help with the gay scene I'm afraid.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:13 pm

Quoting Babybus (Reply 5):
Oslo is just a nice city to walk around. There isn't that much to do really and nothing to knock your socks off

Thanks for all that, Babybus. It's just a weekend trip, so stuff like that can fill it out nicely.

eric

Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:23 pm

Karl Johans Gate is the real city centre and it's best to stay somewhere around there as it's a transport hub. For sights there is the art gallery ("The Scream" was it's most famous painting till it got nicked) but still interesting

The Scream has been found and is back in the museum, there are more than just one art gallery in Oslo. The museum is called Munch-muséet and is located at Tøyen, which is a tube stop. I would recommend buying the Oslo-pass, which can be bought for 24, 48 or 72 hours. It gives access to almost every museum in Oslo, free public transport and parking and also discount at several restaurants (www.visitoslo.com). If art is your thing, I would go to the Astrup-Fearnley museum or the Natioal Art Museum (in the city center, free irregardless of the Oslo-pass).

If you get stuck try getting a local commuter boat from the harbour around the outer islands. There's a train that takes you up a mountain to a ski lodge with a nice restaurant and then you walk back down past a ski jump and ski museum. I can't remember the names but if it sounds good I'll email my mate in oslo to get the precise names.

Get the local commuter boat out to Bygdøy, it has the Kon-Tiki museum, and with a little walk, multiple other museums. The skilodge Babybus is referring to is called Frognerseteren, the restaurant is one of the best in Oslo but they also have a cafeteria style place as well which is inexpensive in Oslo term but for the view of the city, it is worth it. If you have to Oslo-pass you will gain access to Holmenkollen ski museum, the world oldest but also get admission to climb the tower which will be taken down and rebuilt this year. It will be your last chance to visit such an iconic 50's design showpiece.

For dinner, I would recommend Bølgen&Moi at Briskeby, which is in the municipal Frogner. It is very "Oslo", has lost some of its trendy factor but the kitchen mixes Norwegian cuisine with continental cooking. The best tip is to do Sunday brunch there. All you can eat buffet untill 4pm.

You will have not have a too hard time finding somewhere to eat plus wine for €75p.p. Pascal in the city center (by the palace) will get you a main plus wine for that price. Going out for gays is not too good; I do not really do that scene but Oslo is in general very open. I can recommend several other good places but beware that a drink will cost about €8 and up whereas you can get beer when going out from about €7 and up.

If you want cheap drinks, try "Qba" in the municipality Grünerløkka, it has 3 pints for 100 kroner or a drink for 50 (split by 8) every night. It offers very good value for money. Although a less expensive area, be aware that Grünerløkka can be expensive for dining.
n

babybus

Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:57 am

Quoting Eric (Reply 7):
Get the local commuter boat out to Bygd?t has the Kon-Tiki museum, and with a little walk, multiple other museums.

I just remembered that. Yes, the Kon-tiki museum is worth the trip, as is the Norweigian outdoor folk museum. It has different types of houses from around Norway. That's kills a few hours and I always go every time I'm in Oslo. Near to that is the Viking long boat museum. Nice boats.

Ibsen (the playwright) was from Oslo so you might want to visit his museum ( I haven't yet) and follow in his footsteps.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:58 am

Great stuff there Eric. Thanks a mill!  bigthumbsup