copaair737

I Think Saddam Is Alive, And Is My Roommate...

Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:20 pm

I have a roommate here at this dorm I live in, and he is extremely bizarre. First, everytime I turn on the AC, he goes apeshit and comes out and turns it off, and then mumbles something. The AC is for the living room area, he hides in his room all day, and the AC doesn't even affect there. He's just doing it to be an asshole.
He also spouts out Anti-Semitic rants all the time, I finally told him I was Jewish so he'd shut up.
He's kind of a hermit, and he says all sorts of bizarre things.
He's a control freak and a germophobe too.

I don't think Saddam Hussein died, he just got cosmetic surgery and enrolled in school, and moved in here.
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

ajd1992

RE: I Think Saddam Is Alive, And Is My Roommate...

Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:37 pm

Do things to piss him off then. I'm sure you college students can conjure up some insanely evil things to do  Wink

EMBQA

Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:49 pm

Quoting Copaair737 (Thread starter):
I don't think Saddam Hussein died, he just got cosmetic surgery and enrolled in school, and moved in here

LoL.. yea, OK.....
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

yooyoo

Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:37 pm

Tell him to go crawl back into his hole.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

JCKastrup

Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:16 pm

But be aware. He might hide some weapons of mass destruction in his room.......... or maybe not?

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 1):
Do things to piss him off then. I'm sure you college students can conjure up some insanely evil things to do

Smile
Who the hell wants to fly to JFK? Nobody does, That's who!

PlymSpotter

Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:28 pm

Dress up as Osama and see how he reacts  Wink
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

ctbarnes

Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:37 am

Three words:

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder.

Seriously though, I'd consider moving. Explain the situation to your residence life people. Living with a roomate is never easy, but some people are just impossible, and being miserable because of a roomate with serious issues just isn't worth it.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

deltagator

Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:43 am

Quoting Ctbarnes (Reply 6):
I'd consider moving.

Why should he have to move because his roommate is a dick?

A couple of pranks to screw with his head.

1 - "Penny" his door shut so he can't get out.
2 - Freeze some urine on a cookie sheet and then flick it under his door while he is out. It'll shatter everywhere and melt and he'll have no idea what happened.
3 - Find an album cover (you know those things us old folks had before CDs) fill it with shaving cream and then place it just under his door. Stomp on it and fill his room, preferably with him in it, full of shaving cream bits.

Good stuff!

Though I won't take responsibility if he tries to kill you in his torture chamber.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

AsstChiefMark

Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:00 am

Hang an Israeli flag on the wall while he's away. Watch the slow burn when he returns.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

ctbarnes

Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:31 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 7):

Because the situation isn't going to change or get any better. It is notoriously difficult to get a disruptive student kicked out of the dorms. I know. I was a floor moderator in a college dorm or two years. IMHO Copaair has two choices. He can stay where he is and be miserable, or he can do something about it. It may be inconvenient in the short term, but longer-term sanity outweighs the short-term inconvenience in this instance.

Charles, SJ

CastleIsland

Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:01 am

Quoting Ctbarnes (Reply 9):
Because the situation isn't going to change or get any better. It is notoriously difficult to get a disruptive student kicked out of the dorms. I know. I was a floor moderator in a college dorm or two years. IMHO Copaair has two choices. He can stay where he is and be miserable, or he can do something about it. It may be inconvenient in the short term, but longer-term sanity outweighs the short-term inconvenience in this instance.

checkmark 

As appealing and reasonable as it seems, the desired course of action (removal of a problem) is always more difficult than the removal of oneself from the problem situation. This applies to every aspect of life. The more action one takes, the more one controls one's situation.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

AsstChiefMark

Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:27 am

In December, set up a menorah and wear a yamaka. Play Hanukkah songs. Do other Jewish stuff. Perform circumcisions at cut-rate prices.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

bok269

Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:37 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 11):
In December, set up a menorah and wear a yamaka. Play Hanukkah songs. Do other Jewish stuff. Perform circumcisions at cut-rate prices.

Offer to have Hilel host events in your dorm.
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

copaair737

Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:47 am

Well, everytime I have people over, no matter what they look like, I tell them they are my Jewish friends, and that we are going over to the Temple on Saturday. Everytime I have a girl over, I always comment how she is a "nice Jewish girl" and he has no idea what to do.
It's funny as hell. I'm not Jewish, but I'll act like it to drive him nuts.

Another reason he may be Saddam...he's obsessed with the Gulf War. I had a Super Nintendo game going, and he came in and told me that Mario 3 was based on the Gulf War. Shit like that.

AsstChiefMark

Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:21 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 13):
Well, everytime I have people over, no matter what they look like, I tell them they are my Jewish friends

You should find an Arab guy to come over and play Jew. That'll fuck his mind good.

I had a Super Nintendo game going, and he came in and told me that Mario 3 was based on the Gulf War.

copaair737

Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:27 am

I also forgot to say that he has no idea how to talk to women, and he' s got to be about 30-35 years old.
He told my brother some girl wouldn't give him her phone number, but she gave him her room number, and he said he was going to go show up at her room bucknaked.

Weird fucking guy.

and Mark, good idea.

Scorpio

Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:59 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Thread starter):

Sounds to me like your roommate isn't being an asshole, and isn't 'crazy' either. Sounds to me like he's autistic. Let's see: he lives his life 'apart', secluded in his room. He reacts strangely to fairly normal every-day situations, has a limited number of interests, but is pretty obsessed about those he has. He has difficulty communicating ('has no idea how to talk to women'). And he's a control freak. I'd be very surprised if he turned out not to be autistic.

A word of advice: don't try to mess with his mind. Don't try any of the things some people are advising you to do. Autistic people often have a pretty high tolerance level, but once a certain line is crossed, they will snap completely, and when that happens, things could be bad. They sometimes have no idea of their own strength, and the both of you could get hurt.

Take it from someone who deals with autistic people on a regular basis.

waterpolodan

Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:02 am

Wait, if you are 21-25 then you're probably not a freshman, so why didn't you get to pick your own roommate going into this semester? I guess maybe you and some friends have a suite and the housing staff put him into an empty room that you guys couldn't fill... That sucks! I do like the idea of playing loud jewish music all the time. I bet he's also a homophobe, so you should bring over some gay friends and have them hit on him while wearing yarmulkes. Mario 3 based on the gulf war, eh? Strange fellow! What is he doing going to college as a miserable 35 year old anyway?

copaair737

Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:08 am

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 17):
I guess maybe you and some friends have a suite and the housing staff put him into an empty room that you guys couldn't fill... That sucks

Yes. That is what ended up happening.

What is he doing going to college as a miserable 35 year old anyway?

I have no idea. We tried being nice to him, but it didn't work out well.

redngold

Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:26 am

Quoting Ctbarnes (Reply 6):
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder.

I beg to differ. Most of us OCD'ers keep our ruminations to ourselves because we are both aware and ashamed of them. Although the AC issue may seem like obsessive behavior, the mumbling, hermit-like behavior and anti-semitic rants are more indicative of paranoid or delusional thinking. That is less likely to be found in an anxiety disorder (OCD) than in a psychotic disorder (schizophrenia or possibly an extreme phase of bipolar disorder.) He may be having a delusion that the AC is involved in his thought processes.

Copaair, I would strongly suggest that you go to your campus health service and talk to someone about getting help for your roommate. Your roommate may not even be able to distinguish his inappropriate behavior if he is having a psychotic episode. He needs help that you can't give him. Even if you do not live on campus, the school is responsible for the safety of its students.

Good luck.
Up, up and away!

ctbarnes

Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:37 am

Quoting Redngold (Reply 19):
beg to differ. Most of us OCD'ers keep our ruminations to ourselves because we are both aware and ashamed of them.

Sorry Redngold. That was insenstive of me.

Bless me Father for I have sinned...  pray 

Charles, SJ

AirCop

Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:25 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 15):
and he' s got to be about 30-35 years old.

Isn't he a little old to be living in a dorm? I would talk to someone, especially with Virginia Tech still being fresh in most people memories.

AsstChiefMark

Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:28 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 21):
Isn't he a little old to be living in a dorm?

Maybe he's not really a student.

MCOflyer

Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:56 am

I think he may be autistic. Give him time. I am like that but can talk to girls.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

asuflyer05

Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:59 pm

Another reason he may be Saddam...he's obsessed with the Gulf War. I had a Super Nintendo game going, and he came in and told me that Mario 3 was based on the Gulf War. Shit like that.

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 15):
I also forgot to say that he has no idea how to talk to women, and he' s got to be about 30-35 years old.

Could he be a Gulf War vet who has some unresolved issues? Even if he isn't, why be an asshole when you can take the higher ground and maybe get the guy some help? I would still recommend moving out but the guy has a problem. No one chooses to be that messed up.

CaptOveur

Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:06 pm

What is he doing going to college as a miserable 35 year old anyway?

International student, maybe working on a PhD.. Or three. It is not as uncommon as you might think. That would also explain the being crazy thing.

Seriously, talk to your residence life office. This guy is just a pain in the ass right now, if you fuck with him too much he could easily turn dangerous. He might need referred to psychological counseling. Residence life should be trained to make that call.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

fraspotter

Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:06 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 7):

I had a jerk as a roommate the beginning of the spring semester this year and I was ready to move out to either another room, or another dorm entirely. Luckily for me, my jackass of a roommate pledged to a fraternity, was accepted and thus had to move out and into the house. I than had my own room for the remainder of the semester... It was niiiiiiiiiice!!! Big grin
"Taking off is optional. It’s landing that’s mandatory."

CaptOveur

Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:13 pm

Quoting FRAspotter (Reply 26):
I had a jerk as a roommate

Quoting FRAspotter (Reply 26):
my jackass of a roommate pledged to a fraternity, was accepted

Amazing how these things are like a fish to water. If he cries when handcuffed and has at least 1 DWI he is a sure bet to win an elected office.

copaair737

Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:06 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 21):
Isn't he a little old to be living in a dorm? I would talk to someone, especially with Virginia Tech still being fresh in most people memories.

That's what I thought too. We talked to the head of residence life, and they said there was nothing they could do, unless he actually attacked someone. I'm not afraid of him, he's more annoying than anything else.

Quoting Captoveur (Reply 25):
International student, maybe working on a PhD.. Or three. It is not as uncommon as you might think. That would also explain the being crazy thing.

Definitely not that.

Quoting Asuflyer05 (Reply 24):
Could he be a Gulf War vet who has some unresolved issues? Even if he isn't, why be an asshole when you can take the higher ground and maybe get the guy some help? I would still recommend moving out but the guy has a problem. No one chooses to be that messed up

I don't think he's a Gulf War vet, but then again, who knows. We tried to be nice to him, and invited him to Wendy's, but he just was acting all bizarre and like an asshole the entire time. He wouldn't talk. He's lied about his age 3 times to 3 people, he won't tell us where he's from, or his past, he says he has no family. He's a bizarre person. We told Residence Life he may pull some shit, but they said unless he did something, there was nothing he can do.

We started writing down a log book of shit he's done. One day, he started shaking his closet door and yelling "I'm on Steroids! I'm on Steroids!"
Shit like that.
Residence life told us they had talked to him, and seemed aware of his bizarreness, but I can't help but think there is something that is being hid about him. Like he was in a mental hospital or something (I'm being serious here).

He constantly blares Michael Bolton records at full blast at 7 AM despite us asking him nicely not to do so.

He's a weird dude.

CaptOveur

Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:05 pm

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 28):
We told Residence Life he may pull some shit, but they said unless he did something, there was nothing he can do.

Thats the mindset that leads to problems. I guess some places never learn

We started writing down a log book of shit he's done.

Good idea.

"I'm on Steroids! I'm on Steroids!"

He has to be crazy

but I can't help but think there is something that is being hid about him. Like he was in a mental hospital or something (I'm being serious here).

It is possible. They would have to hide that.

He constantly blares Michael Bolton records at full blast at 7 AM

When do your noise rules come off? If he is blaring that crap before the noise rules call the campus police, it will start generating a paper trail and if they have to show up often enough the PD will eventually kick him to judicial affairs and that might get him booted from housing.

Who have you talked to with the residence people? Just RAs or have you gone all the way to the top of residence life? Don't tell them you aren't afraid of him or they won't do anything. Tell them you fear for your safety, that should totally change their response. By this point in the semester they do have someplace to move him to, without question. If you have gone all through the residence people try talking to the campus pshrinks (they are called counseling services here) they might be able to get something moving on him, but that is sort of a last resort. Also, a lot of schools offer conflict resolution, peer mediation, something like that. If you go that route and he is a total dick in there they might see this isn't just a personality conflict (which is what they think it is now).

Bottom line is, change your tone from "im not scared of him" to "I fear for my safety" and stuff will start happening. If it doesn't change things then your school is setting themselves up for a MAJOR lawsuit sometime in the future.

He is showing some of the signs of someone with mental problems, and maybe not taking his meds. Does he by any chance smoke, drink heavily or take any illegal drugs? Sometimes people will self medicate because those methods are less uncomfortable than the doctor prescribed medications and cheaper.

redngold

Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:40 am

Quoting Ctbarnes (Reply 20):
Sorry Redngold. That was insenstive of me.

s'ok, I just make sure to educate people about what OCD is and is not. Not a sin to me.  thumbsup 
Up, up and away!

AASuper83

Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:04 am

I don't know what he is, but there's definitely something wrong with that guy. Nothing really adds up with that fellow, as he will never talk about his past, says in a Darth Vader-esque voice that "I have no family", and is a complete dick when people come over. Add in the fact that he turns off the AC because "It dries out my throat", when he's got a fan going in his room. It seems that over the course of the last few weeks, he's really become a real asshole, trying to control all aspects of the apartment, whether it be taking the signs off the front door, turning the lights off when theres someone in the room, or messing with the AC.

Add in the fact that he blares shitty-1980s music early in the morning or uses his noisy assed blender, then has the balls to tell us to turn our noise down when he's "Trying to sleep".

Obviously, he's a person that should never have been unleashed on a public environment, he just doesn't fit here.

ltbewr

Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:21 am

This person does appear to have serious psychlogical/mental health issues that are of deep concern and need to be addresed for his as well as your sake. His beheavor is already hurting your life and will soon, if not already, affect your performance and grades. You have to protect your own interests and investment in college as it may significantly affect your future career and income. Perhaps you could go to a local mental health organization or government mental health agency - not the college's - for advice or help. Make those points to the colleges and outside agencies you deal with.

AsstChiefMark

Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:28 am

There may be many reasons for him to be so "nutso" and bitter. He may have been laid off and is reluctantly back in school to start over. He may be recently divorced and lost everything in the settlement. He may have had a wife, child, or parent die recently and is having trouble adjusting. He may be an overstressed grad student that's been told to get an advanced degree or get fired.

Or he could simply be a sociopath. I think he's got Asperger's or other similar syndrome.

CaptOveur

Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:07 pm

Quoting AASuper83 (Reply 31):
Obviously, he's a person that should never have been unleashed on a public environment, he just doesn't fit here.

So what is his A.net username?

AASuper83

Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:49 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 34):
So what is his A.net username?

I'd say that he's the non-deaf version of Scotty. Pretty close anyway.