ebs757

What Can The Cops Do?

Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:46 am

Today I was pulling out of a shopping mall, it was packed as hell and and had a few kids in the car. I was in the turning lane when my friend in the passenger seat decided to throw a lemon peel over the car. Sure enough it hits another car and it looked like a mom and a guy looking about 18. Sure enough they stop, the kid gets out and gets my license plate number LOL. I said sir it was an accident im sorry. My friend who did it got out right away and tried to apologize but no use the kid got back in his car and his mom told my friend I should expect a "fine" in 6 weeks for throwing a lemon peel (yes she said that). As all this was happening I was holding up the turning lane and finally my friend got back in and we pulled away. Now is it just me or does it seem a little over the top? I can definitely understand a rock or something but a lemon peel...? I apologize if you think this post is childish, I wasn't even planning on telling you guys but what do you think? BTW ive had my drivers license for just over 2 months so that might be another reason why im worried. Thanks
Viva la Vida

A346Dude

RE: What Can The Cops Do?

Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:52 am

Don't even worry. You cannot be fined or charged or anything on the word of some idiot with no evidence.

And even if she had evidence, I have never heard of any law against throwing lemon peels.
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

OB1504

Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:54 am

Quoting A346Dude (Reply 1):
And even if she had evidence, I have never heard of any law against throwing lemon peels.

Well, littering, but the PD probably has bigger fish to fry. I wouldn't worry about it.

swiftski

Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:56 am

You have nothing to worry about. That would have to go down as "assault" and if there is no evidence of being assaulted, no malice intended, etc, then you're golden.

Go3Team

Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:12 pm

As I understand it, throwing something at an occupied vehicle can be considered a felony here in the state of VA. I've had kids throw rocks, etc at my car and that's what I've been told by the responding officer.
Yay Pudding!

ANCFlyer

Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:17 pm

Well unless there's some provision in the local ordinance for polluting by Fresh Fruit, I wouldn't worry about it . . . .

If I had a nickel for every call I've had to Code 3 to a lemon peel throwing . . . . . .  silly 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Mir

Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:19 pm

Littering is probably the worst they could get you for.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

bristolflyer

Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:36 pm

I would go along with what all the others have said. I know that you c an get busted for littering even if the item is biodgradable if the cop has seen you but as I can't think that a report from John Doe will be enough.

In the meantime talk some sense into your friend!
Fortune favours the brave

WildcatYXU

Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:49 pm

EBS757, the cops definitely won't do anything, since they have more important work, but tell me: Why on earth can your friend collect his garbage inside the car and dispose of it properly? I just don't understand it. I see people throwing cigarette butts from the car daily, I've seen a guy emptying the ashtray to the street while waiting fro the green light. Why?
Keep your garbage inside the car and dispose of it once you're home.
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, Saab 340, YAK40

ebs757

Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:05 pm

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 8):
EBS757, the cops definitely won't do anything, since they have more important work, but tell me: Why on earth can your friend collect his garbage inside the car and dispose of it properly? I just don't understand it. I see people throwing cigarette butts from the car daily, I've seen a guy emptying the ashtray to the street while waiting fro the green light. Why?
Keep your garbage inside the car and dispose of it once you're home.

I'm with you on that one. The lemon was from his pop I understand and he didn't think about what he was doing (obviously)
Viva la Vida

LOT767-300ER

Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:31 pm

My question to you, why didnt you and your friends not give this guy a good beating?

Surely you are in Chicago mate, and this guy portrayed typical American behavior. I would have handed this 18 year old guy a beating right infront of his mom if he got out of the car and started getting my plates for such a thing. I am assuming you are younger, but dont let some yankee douchebag intimidate you with calling the Police especially when you are with your friends. You live in Chicago so I say think and act like one.

and if you didnt have time to waste, why not just drive off?

ebs757

Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:41 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 10):

Well as I said, I was in a turning lane that was about a block long, traffic on both sides etc. I wouldn't beat the shit out of someone in such a place, Assault is the last thing I want to commit.
Viva la Vida

LASoctoberB6

Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:05 pm

a lemon peel... haha.. who was eating a lemon? possibly from a tea or something.. but a fine over a lemon peel? you should have laughed in her face..
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

n710ps

Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:42 pm

Haahahaaha laughable. Dude calm down you will be fine. You should have just said whateve and "peeled out". (pun intended)
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

davestanKSAN

Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:52 pm

Quoting N710PS (Reply 13):
You should have just said whateve and "peeled out".

rotfl  Good one  thumbsup 

Don't worry about the lemon. If life throws you lemons, well you know....

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

ebs757

Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:13 am

They where in our drinks from Buffalo Wild Wings, don't ask lol
Thanks guys
Viva la Vida

LAXspotter

Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:06 am

another question for some law enforcement here, I was at a 7-11 and I was soliticted by some underage kids to buy them some cigarettes, well I'm not 21, so i said I cant, but just because I was a little pissed off that day, I wanted to call the cops on them, how will the cops handle that? and I know what I was going to do is a good thing, those kids need to learn a lesson.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

MCOflyer

Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:17 am

Nothing. It is word for word and unless some cop is arrogant, do not worry about it.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

fumanchewd

Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:33 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 10):
LOT767-300ER From Poland, joined Jan 2001, 7449 posts, RR: 32

Someone's been hitting the Stoli! Nostorvia!!  bigthumbsup 
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

57AZ

Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:10 pm

Lemon peel? Did it cause an accident or damage to the car? I wouldn't worry. As previously mentioned, the offense has to occur in the presence of an officer for them to cite you. Last time I checked, lemon peels are natural and not manmade-they will biodegrade in short order. Might look unseemly for a short while but no harm done. When I was growing up, we'd chuck the fruit peels and apple cores out into the woods on our property-otherwise we packed out what we had brought in.

Now, if you'd been tossing headstones or bricks/rocks off of a freeway overpass, I'd say there is a problem. I remember back some years ago, some teens in Georgia killed a woman with a headstone. They though it'd be funny to drop it on a vehicle. It went right through the cab of the pickup she was riding in and killed her instantly-her husband who was driving was seriously injured.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

LAXspotter

Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:16 pm

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 19):
I'd say there is a problem. I remember back some years ago, some teens in Georgia killed a woman with a headstone. They though it'd be funny to drop it on a vehicle. It went right through the cab of the pickup she was riding in and killed her instantly-her husband who was driving was seriously injured.

STUPID kids, they just needed one little lesson in Physics class, sheesh.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

bwest

Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:35 pm

I wonder if the acid in the peel can eat away the paint of the car... now that would be destruction of property  duck   Wink
I love my Airport Job! :)

ebs757

Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:38 am

Quoting Bwest (Reply 21):
I wonder if the acid in the peel can eat away the paint of the car... now that would be destruction of property duck

Dude it hit the roof of the car and rolled off  duck 
Viva la Vida

Boston92

Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:06 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 16):
another question for some law enforcement here, I was at a 7-11 and I was soliticted by some underage kids to buy them some cigarettes, well I'm not 21, so i said I cant, but just because I was a little pissed off that day, I wanted to call the cops on them, how will the cops handle that? and I know what I was going to do is a good thing, those kids need to learn a lesson.

You only need to be 18...but I really don't know how the cops would handle this. I would imagine they would come down and open a can of whoop-ass (well, verbally, anyway) on the stupid kids.
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

LOT767-300ER

Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:23 am

Quoting Ebs757 (Reply 11):
Well as I said, I was in a turning lane that was about a block long, traffic on both sides etc. I wouldn't beat the shit out of someone in such a place, Assault is the last thing I want to commit.

You are in Chicago and you fear that?, unless you were in the precinct of the Nazi Suburbian Police a good kick in that douchebags door and a driveoff would have been fine.

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 16):

Mate, you scare me. You can buy fags when youre 18.

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 18):
Someone's been hitting the Stoli! Nostorvia!!

No, I dont like Russians, I dont like Stolichnaya or anything else that is Russian.

I will drink my Zubrowka now, thank you.

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 19):
Lemon peel? Did it cause an accident or damage to the car? I wouldn't worry. As previously mentioned, the offense has to occur in the presence of an officer for them to cite you. Last time I checked, lemon peels are natural and not manmade-they will biodegrade in short order.

To be a devils advocate, dog crap is natural and degrades even faster than a lemon peel. Hell you can slip and fall on both!

allstarflyer

Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:59 am

Quoting Ebs757 (Thread starter):
Now is it just me or does it seem a little over the top? I can definitely understand a rock or something but a lemon peel...?

IMO, it's probably not a big deal. A friend of mine, though, was driving with his left on the wheel, window down with an egg in his right hand. As he kept his head forward and left arm stiff, he thew a no-look shot at a car near him - and was identified and punished for it. Note the difference, though - the guy I know threw an egg, and your pal threw a . . . lemon peel. For what are they going to try to get you - do they think citric acid is going to corrode their vehicle?
Living the American Dream