RJdxer
Topic Author

Could Mel Brooks Make Blazing Saddles Today?

Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:54 am

In a moment of relative quiet, the talk in the office turned to a younger employee who had just seen parts of the movie "Blazing Saddles" for the first time today. Talk turned to whether or not Mel Brooks could have made that film today. I say no way. Too many people with thin skins would come out of the woodwork demanding that the way their certain group is portrayed be either changed or eliminated altogether. I think the general agreement was that the PC police would be all over this one. How say you? On a side note, I have yet to figure out how the movie "Space Balls" has sold more copies than "Blazing Saddles".
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

SJCRRPAX

RE: Could Mel Brooks Make Blazing Saddles Today?

Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:04 am

I think it could be because it was obviously humor. No worse than anything Dave Chappelle does or Carlos whats-his-name does.

Falcon84

Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:20 am

How about TV shows like "The Jeffersons", or "Chico and The Man", or "All In The Family".

Those were ahead of their time, but couldn't be made in this day and age because of the stupidity of PC.
Work Right, Fly Hard

AsstChiefMark

Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:23 am

I doubt Warner Bros. would finance it. I doubt any major studio would. Brooks would either have to finance it himself or find a small, indie-type studio to do so.

However, people would go to see it because it's so "naughty." It might not make a lot of money in the theatres, but it would be one of those movies that makes more in DVD sales for a long period of time.

My two favorite scenes. I also like the end scene where the fight breaks through the studio of gay men being directed by Dom DeLuise.

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

ltbewr

Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:25 am

While 'Blazing Saddles' movie was a huge and twisted humorous comment on race issues of the then 1970's America and of the old west, and was co-written by Richard Prior, it often used the N-word in it's dialogue. The recent condemnation by the NAACP, many black leaders and society in general of the N-word's use in common use and in entertainment most probably would be the biggest issue that would prevent the movie being made today. I also suspect that it's showing on TV, even on cable in the future may have to be censored of the n-word fearing a reaction from the public.

dl021

Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:15 pm

Probably not unless it was shown to be anti-government and anti-conservative.

It's a shame they can make Van Wilder or the Lizard movies (like the Dukes of Hazzard remake) and Mel's not making his harder hitting movies now. Although he did just redo the Producers and is redoing Young Frankenstein on Broadway (what KNOCKERS!)

Quoting RJdxer (Thread starter):
On a side note, I have yet to figure out how the movie "Space Balls" has sold more copies than "Blazing Saddles".

Bigger potential audience of age to appreciate the humor and currency of the movie who were likely to buy/rent the movie in video format.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

ShyFlyer

Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:04 pm

I think the biggest obstacle would be finding the acting talent.
I lift things up and put them down.

L-188

Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:15 pm

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 7):
I think the biggest obstacle would be finding the acting talent.

That's a big problem there....Hollywood is dead. Just studio hacks who pretend, but don't act.

Blazing Saddles was a product of it's time, so no you couldn't make a new version of it.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

CaptOveur

Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:25 pm

Quoting SJCRRPAX (Reply 1):
I think it could be because it was obviously humor. No worse than anything Dave Chappelle does or Carlos whats-his-name does.

But they are black and mexican. Mel Brooks is a white guy. It is ok for minorities to be racist.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 4):
I also suspect that it's showing on TV, even on cable in the future may have to be censored of the n-word fearing a reaction from the public.

Blazing Saddles on TV is a waste of 2 hours. They even censor the farts out of the campfire scene- which seems dumb to me.

Quoting L-188 (Reply 8):
Hollywood is dead.

No kidding.. At some point in the mid 90s production values and quality went out the window in exchange for really cool animated explosions. I miss movies with decent acting and storylines.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

KROC

Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:18 pm

Quoting SJCRRPAX (Reply 1):

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 8):
But they are black and mexican. Mel Brooks is a white guy. It is ok for minorities to be racist.

Just becuase it was obvious humor doesn't mean that the PC overload of today would allow it or not come out of their skin over it. They would and the movie would be crucified. And Captoveur is spot on in his assessment. Chappelle, Mencia, etc. can get away with telling jokes about race, but a white comic can't even come close, unless he is cracking on Rednecks...and thats just not as fresh as it was 20 years ago.

comorin

Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:25 pm

I have yet to figure out how the movie "Space Balls" has sold more copies than "Blazing Saddles".

Because it is better than the the movie it spoofs. It's Mel Brooks (May the Schwartz be with him) at his best! Who can forget Pizza the Hut or the cameo with John Hurt?

Mel Brooks is the greatest living American of all time - he deserves to be on Mount Rushmore  Smile

desertjets

Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:52 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 7):
That's a big problem there....Hollywood is dead. Just studio hacks who pretend, but don't act.

I agree to some extent. What I think what has happened is that Hollywood has become too successful, which has made them risk adverse. They rather remake a popular movie, do a sequel (ever notice this summer was the summer of sequels) or put together some formulaic piece of crap, than take a risk on something that might offend or might be too high brow (and I think most Mel Brooks movies are) for the movie going audience. The shareholders of the major studios are now used to these nice big dividends and will not allow the studio to take any risks at all.

Franky the 1970s were a unique time in Hollywood. The Golden Age was long over, and frankly they were in a slump. And socially the US was in transition and was more willing to be critical of itself. Hence you see things on film and TV that you wouldn't really see today. Something like All in the Family wouldn't get greenlighted today, as an example.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

mirrodie

Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:02 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 2):
Those were ahead of their time, but couldn't be made in this day and age because of the stupidity of PC.

I would agree but ever since Borat came out, I have to wonder.

Borat is probably the closest type of blatant in your face un-PCness to come out in the last decade or 2 (and yet its still light years away from Brook's genious). Yet it was made today with a fair amount of ...response.

So to answer the question, I think Brooks could do it again today.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

Marcus

Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:36 am

Quoting Comorin (Reply 10):
Because it is better than the the movie it spoofs

Yes......and the recent batch of prequels stink compared to the original 3 SW movies..........so Mel could have a lot of material for a Spaceballs 2.
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

jfk69

Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:55 am

So So sad that we will never see a movie like Blazing Saddles again. The liberal hollywood that we have come to know would launch the biggest campaign against anything of this nature. All who said the NAACP or GLAAD would come out is 110% correct. people just don't understand that it is for humor and humor only. Let Chappelle make his stuff, Let Mencia make his stolen crap....but let a movie like this go as well.

baroque

Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:39 am

Would the Indians have to speak Arabic I wonder? Just a thought.

Otherwise the beans part might have to go due to excessive greenhouse emissions.

What else? Nope, all fine other than that!

rfields5421

Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:48 am

I have yet to figure out how the movie "Space Balls" has sold more copies than "Blazing Saddles".

I know many people who bought Space Balls because they thought it was a real SciFi movie. Clueless I'm sure - but Mel Brooks would laugh all the way to the bank.

Brooks is a minority like the others.

I'm still waiting for "History of the World - Part II"

desertjets

Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:54 am

Quoting RFields5421 (Reply 16):

Me too... I want to see Hitler on Ice and Jews in Space.

Knowing Mel he may still make it.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

CaptOveur

Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:05 am

Brooks is a minority like the others.

Which is why he has free reign on Jew jokes. I just think if he made a movie that said nigger or beaner every third word today he would be crucified.

CaptainJon

Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:42 am

Blazing Saddles on TV is a waste of 2 hours. They even censor the farts out of the campfire scene- which seems dumb to me.

I was watching Spaceballs on network broadcast TV and during the whole "Asshole" scene, which of course was all beeped out, watching it in closed captions showed all of the dialogue without censorship. Which is rather odd because every time I seen a show with censorship, they always write the word beep.

srbmod

Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:55 am

They even censor the farts out of the campfire scene- which seems dumb to me.

Especially considering the stuff they get away with on network TV these days. That's why I love British comedy, as they have an appreciation for fart jokes and humor.

Quoting Baroque (Reply 15):
What else?

Mongo would go to jail for animal abuse......

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 2):
How about TV shows like "The Jeffersons", or "Chico and The Man", or "All In The Family".

Heck, at least 75% of the sitcoms from the 70s couldn't get greenlighted in this day and age, even on Fox. I don't even think South Park would get greenlighted in today's climate.

L-188

Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:19 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 18):
Which is why he has free reign on Jew jokes. I just think if he made a movie that said nigger or beaner every third word today he would be crucified.

You can really tell where Richard Pryor contributed to the writing in Blazing Saddles.

I know many people who bought Space Balls because they thought it was a real SciFi movie.

What are you trying to insinuate?

Yeah, get on it Mel!.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

halls120

Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:39 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 20):
Heck, at least 75% of the sitcoms from the 70s couldn't get greenlighted in this day and age, even on Fox. I don't even think South Park would get greenlighted in today's climate.

I don't know about that. Watch a few episodes of "Two and a Half Men," and get back to us. I can't believe how much the writers of that show get away with.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

KROC

Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:13 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 20):
That's why I love British comedy, as they have an appreciation for fart jokes and humor.

British Humor? I thought that was a myth like the Lock Ness Monster.

seb146

Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:22 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 9):
Chappelle, Mencia, etc. can get away with telling jokes about race, but a white comic can't even come close, unless he is cracking on Rednecks...and thats just not as fresh as it was 20 years ago.

Carlos Mencia tried to explain it once: if one race can make fun of other races, whites should be able to also. Mencia seems like the only comic that looks "non-racist" as opposed to Chappelle or Chris Rock.

Quoting CaptainJon (Reply 19):
Which is rather odd because every time I seen a show with censorship, they always write the word beep.

I watch Mencia and when he swears in Spanish, they don't bleep out the same things they would bleep out the same things they would in English. I think that is odd.
Life in the wall is a drag.

Tom in NO

Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:51 am

If anyone cares, the chopped-version of Blazing Saddles is on tonight (Tuesday) at 8:00pm Eastern on CMT.....I'll pass on the TV version and pull out my widescreen DVD.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

srbmod

Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:02 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 22):
I don't know about that. Watch a few episodes of "Two and a Half Men," and get back to us. I can't believe how much the writers of that show get away with.

That's true, but considering the time slot the show is aired in during Prime Time, they can get away with stuff at 9 pm that you can't at 8 pm. Although with the show now in syndication (I've gotten into it now because of it being on at 7-8 where I live), there definitely is some borderline material in the show.

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 24):

I watch Mencia and when he swears in Spanish, they don't bleep out the same things they would bleep out the same things they would in English. I think that is odd.

Some of the stuff the Spanish radio stations in many markets say make Howard Stern seem tame by comparison, and most of them have been getting away with it. From 1970-2004, a total of 2 Spanish radio stations and one television station had been fined for indecency.

AeroWesty

Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:04 am

So let me get this right. We constantly hear bitching and moaning about the "Hollywood liberals", but now the same crowd is saying they aren't liberal enough? Okaaaay.

There are a lot of movies that couldn't be made the same way today as they were ages ago. Even something as innocent as An Affair to Remember would have to be changed. Remember the song and dance piece where the two black kids in the class come from the back row to do their little dance number? That would never happen today--you can only joke about blacks having rhythm.
International Homo of Mystery

RJdxer
Topic Author

Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:31 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 27):
So let me get this right. We constantly hear bitching and moaning about the "Hollywood liberals", but now the same crowd is saying they aren't liberal enough? Okaaaay.

Not what I'm saying. But virtually every group that is sterotyped in that film would most likely come out in some form or fashion and blast the way they are portrayed.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

AeroWesty

Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:39 am

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 28):
But virtually every group that is sterotyped in that film would most likely come out in some form or fashion and blast the way they are portrayed.

Actually, I think you simply don't get it. Roger Ebert said it best in his original review of the film in 1974. Mel Brooks succeeds because his stereotypes are excessive.

It's almost as if Brooks parodies stereotypes, which is why his films are as funny as they are. Give Ebert's review a look:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...D=/19740207/REVIEWS/401010306/1023

RJdxer
Topic Author

Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:03 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 29):
Roger Ebert said it best in his original review of the film in 1974

But that was 1974 and just like what was acceptable in the movies in 1974 (nudity, language, violence) was not acceptable in 1944, so too have times changed between 1974 and 2007. If nothing else many of these groups would be looking to garner attention for themselves and turn that attention into donations of some sort.

AeroWesty

Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:08 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 30):
But that was 1974

Perhaps you didn't read the review. Here, let me quote some of it for you:

"There are some people who can literally get away with anything -- say anything, do anything -- and people will let them."

It'd be the same in 2007 because it's Mel Brooks. If it was an RJdxer production instead, I'd agree with you. People would be running after you to skin you alive.

Zkpilot

Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:11 pm

History of the World: Part I is fantastic Mel Brooks at his best! A shame they didn't make Part II even tho the preview was some of the funniest stuff...Hitler on Ice, Jews in Space etc
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

RJdxer
Topic Author

Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:14 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 31):
It'd be the same in 2007 because it's Mel Brooks.

We will have to agree to disagree then. I don't think even Mel Brooks could get away with a movie like Blazing Saddles in todays PC enviroment. To many special interest groups looking to make a name for themselves.

PHLBOS

Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:40 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 4):
I also suspect that it's showing on TV, even on cable in the future may have to be censored of the n-word fearing a reaction from the public.

When Blazing Saddles first aired on T.V. (around 1984 IIRC); so much was cut/deleted that some additional scenes (deleted from the original release) were placed back in to plug up the holes so to speak. However, the N----r lines were left intact; until years later.

IIRC, the Edited For Television versions of feature films are actually done shortly after the release of the original movie; which might explain why some items/words edited (especially if several years pass between the time a film is released in the theaters and later shown on T.V. (in the 70s, videos, cable T.V. was mostly an unknown/obscure entity)) may be viewed as extreme.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

Kieron747

Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:58 pm

Quoting KROC (Reply 23):

Unlike that pinnacle of American humour!..  Wink

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/kieron77/that_70s_show_1.jpg

sarcastic 
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.

srbmod

Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:14 am

Quoting KROC (Reply 23):

And culture in Crapchester.......  duck 

I guess the PBS station in Crapchester doesn't show any good Brit Coms.

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 35):

You have to give them credit with how they managed to sneak pot smoking into the show.

CaptOveur

Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:22 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 36):
I guess the PBS station in Crapchester doesn't show any good Brit Coms.

Are you Kidding? KROC can't even find any channels other than ESPN.

BCAL

Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:41 pm

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 12):
I would agree but ever since Borat came out, I have to wonder.

My thoughts exactly. The Politically Correct Brigade has gone too far and the do-gooders believe we must comply to their rules. Borat got away relatively unscathed and IMO was far more offensive than Blazing Saddles.

It is a sign of the times that you can watch a movie like Saw III which features sickening violence, head drilling, multiple murders but if the main character said the N word, called someone a poof, or was seen smoking a cigarette, then the PC Brigade would be up in arms and demanding the film be banned.

On the same vein, could the Monty Python team make Life of Brian today? When the film was first released in the UK in 1979 (28 years ago) there was an out lash. Anyone remember the movie's tag line "A motion picture destined to offend nearly two thirds of the civilized world. And severely annoy the other third"?
The Church, the do-gooders and the PC Brigade at that time condemned it but all they achieved was to give the film massive free publicity so everyone went to see what the fuss was about.

[Edited 2007-10-04 05:54:50]
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

srbmod

Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:14 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 37):
Are you Kidding? KROC can't even find any channels other than ESPN.

You never know, the missus may make him watch other channels from time to time, unless he has a Man Cave he skulks off to when he wants to watch TV.