express1

Who's A Fan Of Top Gear?

Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:40 am

Any top gear fans here?

reason i'm asking is because a brand new programme of Top Gear starts this Sunday on BBC2 at 9pm.

just thought i'd let you know.

dave
David.S cavanagh since 1961,if you can do better,then show me.

aloges

Who's A Fan Of Top Gear?

Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:46 am

Quoting Express1 (Thread starter):
Any top gear fans here?

Loads.  Wink I hope I'll be able to get the new series through, uh, my usual channels soon after it's broadcast... broadcast just about everywhere except in Germany.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

cfalk

Who's A Fan Of Top Gear?

Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:01 am

POWEEEEEERRRRRR!

I'm sad that the U.S. version has not gotten off the ground. Aparently Clarkson did not want to spend so much time away from his family that a U.S. series would have entailed. But for all us "colonials" it would have been interesting to get his take on cars offered in the U.S. (even european cars sold here have different suspensions, etc.)
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

windshear

Who's A Fan Of Top Gear?

Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:08 am

Yes I am an avid fan of Top Gear... I like Clarksson for being the pessimistic journalist snob that he KNOWS he is! 

Looking forward to the season premiere... Something about a Bugatti Veyron VS. a Euro Fighter jet?  

Check it:

Boaz.

[Edited 2007-10-01 18:08:57]
"If you believe breaking is possible, believe in fixing also"-Rebbe Nachman

express1

Who's A Fan Of Top Gear?

Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:11 am

Quoting Windshear (Reply 3):

fantastic that was,but i was wondering how much did that cost top gear to hire that Eurofighter just for that.

Cant wait for Sunday when it starts.

dave

ltbewr

Who's A Fan Of Top Gear?

Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:19 am

Some episodes of Top Gear are now shown in the USA on the BBC America Channel. I believe they show them on Monday nights, including new ones to the USA. Check your local TV and cable system/satallite dish guide to see when and what channel is on or if you get it. In many systems, it is only available on digital cable or dishes with extended channel packages. There have been previous posts on their avaiablitly in the USA (about 6 weeks ago).
Last week I got see 2 episodes made in 2006 including one where they decide to go 'caravaning' (tow a travel trailer) and end up destroying their trailer/caravan as well as themselves in a kitchen fire. I like their cheeky humor from excerpts of the show they had on the Discovery Network a year or 2 ago, like when they tried to destroy a Toyota ute or long trips like a hot car vs. train. I hope we get to see other past episodes and a lot sooner to when you get to see them.

CaptainJon

Who's A Fan Of Top Gear?

Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:46 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 5):
Some episodes of Top Gear are now shown in the USA on the BBC America Channel.

I didn't know that, but when it was on Discovery Channel it axed up the show since they had to broadcast adverts. I am glad I get the proper BBC version from .... umm ... someplace on the interwebs!

Mir

Who's A Fan Of Top Gear?

Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:20 am

Quoting CaptainJon (Reply 6):
I didn't know that, but when it was on Discovery Channel it axed up the show since they had to broadcast adverts.

BBC America does the same thing, unfortunately.  Sad

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 2):
I'm sad that the U.S. version has not gotten off the ground. Aparently Clarkson did not want to spend so much time away from his family that a U.S. series would have entailed. But for all us "colonials" it would have been interesting to get his take on cars offered in the U.S. (even european cars sold here have different suspensions, etc.)

On the other hand, screwing up a British program taken to the US (or vice versa) is very easy to do, so part of me is glad that it stayed the way it was.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Banco

Who's A Fan Of Top Gear?

Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:35 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 7):
Quoting Cfalk (Reply 2):

On the other hand, screwing up a British program taken to the US (or vice versa) is very easy to do, so part of me is glad that it stayed the way it was.

Part of the problem was that the US networks rely on advertising, and given the nature of the programme, car advertising. So it would have been difficult for Top Gear to adopt it's fairly fearless "slag off a manufacturer" approach. Clarkson has said that this concern was expressed to him when they talked about the US version.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

cfalk

Who's A Fan Of Top Gear?

Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:41 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 8):
Part of the problem was that the US networks rely on advertising, and given the nature of the programme, car advertising. So it would have been difficult for Top Gear to adopt it's fairly fearless "slag off a manufacturer" approach.

Excellent point. One of the things I like about TG is that when a car is crap, they will call it crap right on the air. If the company is a sponsor, that will make for a very short show.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Klaus

Who's A Fan Of Top Gear?

Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:41 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 8):
So it would have been difficult for Top Gear to adopt it's fairly fearless "slag off a manufacturer" approach. Clarkson has said that this concern was expressed to him when they talked about the US version.

Really? How could the US car manufacturers ever get that idea...?  silly 

ba757

Who's A Fan Of Top Gear?

Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:27 am

Quoting Express1 (Reply 4):
fantastic that was,but i was wondering how much did that cost top gear to hire that Eurofighter just for that.

Did they just pop over to Hertz and hire one out?

Likely cost them nothing. The MOD are probably willing to do it as an air force PR kind of thing for free.

Roll on Sunday.

MDorBust

Who's A Fan Of Top Gear?

Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:43 am

Quoting BA757 (Reply 11):
Likely cost them nothing. The MOD are probably willing to do it as an air force PR kind of thing for free.

The most likely answer.

I seem to remember the US Navy and the NHRA used to do a publicity bit where a dragster and a navy jet on a cat shot would race each other.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

modernArt

Who's A Fan Of Top Gear?

Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:34 am

Thank goodness this show is finally on here in America. Although I groan each time before the show starts, the BBC has bit mentioning that you can watch the program with close-captioning. Are Americans that stupid that they cannot understand mainstream English accents?

CaptainJon

RE: Who's A Fan Of Top Gear?

Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:37 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 7):

Me too. Though I am a fan of both versions of The Office, I guess we'll see how the IT Crowd translates on American television.

zarniwoop

Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:45 am

Quoting Express1 (Thread starter):
Sunday on BBC2 at 9pm

It's on at 8pm UK time (BST)

aloges

Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:30 am

md11fan

Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:47 am

Yesssss! only the best car show out there
i started watching it about a month ago on youtube got hooked and then realized that BBC carries it in America so now i watch every Sunday, Monday nights  Smile but since i watched all the youtube videos i have already seen most of the episodes that BBC America show but i still watch. Clarkson is such a funny guy and a very good host but Richard is the funnest cause of all the crap he gets from Clarkson

Stretch 8

Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:51 am

I have been watching Top Gear here in the States via BBC America on Monday evenings; B2B episodes from 8 to 10:00 pm EST. I really enjoy the three hosts, and they give excellent auto review information. The best part is the wacky experiments they do; designing three cars to act as boats, hosting a radio call-in show, going "caravaning" and ending up burning down the camper. They come across as very funny f***-ups, and they are a bit too anti-American (they sure don't like Bush or anything built in Detroit), but that's just "old Europe" talking. The fact these bastards make me laugh will keep me tuning in.
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

Tom12

Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:54 am

Oh yeah! Love it

Jeremy Clackson is brilliant. Anyone see the episode they were hypnotized?

Tom
"Per noctem volamus" - Royal Air Force Bomber Squadron IX

SBBRTech

Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:04 am

Excellent show. I watch it regularly on BBC World.
Impossible to name a favorite episode, but the Bugatti Veyron X Cessna 182 is one of the best.
"I'm beginning to get the hang of this flying business" - C3PO

Mir

Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:14 am

Quoting Stretch 8 (Reply 18):
they are a bit too anti-American (they sure don't like Bush or anything built in Detroit),

Not liking Bush is pure opinion. Not liking anything built in Detroit has a little bit more grounding in fact.  Smile

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Fly2HMO

Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:03 am

I love the show, Clarkson is my hero, no matter how arrogant, snobbish, rude, ridiculous he may be, I know if I ran the show I'd do it the same. Hammond and May are good chaps too.

Signed,
The Stig

Wink

Kunoichi

Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:11 am

Absolutely love it!  Smile

I sit around with my brother and dad every time it's on - the humor(!) is just genius and even as a girl, I don't mind talking about cars with guys - and whenever cars are brought up around here, a reference to TG is inevitable.

Top Gear is on just before Brainiac, so I'm sure to get a double dose of Hammond too... which I don't mind at all.  cheerful 
"Do you speak fluent Canadian?"

AirTranTUS

Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:26 pm

Oh look, a video. What did Hammond do to his hair? I guess it goes along with the teeth whitening.

I love ASO!

windshear

Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:39 pm

but i was wondering how much did that cost top gear to hire that Eurofighter just for that.

Yeah only G-d knows! I have also thought about their major challenges, like the recent polar challenge, must be quite a task to set up production with cars and so on, at locations far away from the UK.

But now that the Bugatti is finally on the Top Gear runway, lets hope for a timed lap in the hands of the Stig  Silly Until now Bugatti has declined, but lets see  Smile

Boaz.
"If you believe breaking is possible, believe in fixing also"-Rebbe Nachman

express1

Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:07 pm

Quoting Zarniwoop (Reply 15):

no as the BBC announced it to be shown at 9pm,its also in the tv guide showing 9pm.

dave

gkirk

Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:36 pm

Some say he has a face on the back of his head. Some say he's been to places that Britney Spears hasn't.
All we know is, that he's called....

THE STIG !

Top Gear is fantastic  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

cornish

Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:32 pm

one of my favourite Top Gear events is the crap car challenge where they've only got a few quid to buy some ropey old Porsches, Italian supercars, RWD coupes, american cars, etc.

I've found out that they have two of these efforts in the new series. I won't ruin it by posting on here what they are, suffice to say that one takes place outside the UK and one involves cars of a certain type that will mean nothing to the younger A.netters, but for those of us of a certain age from the UK in particular will be absolutely hilarious (IM me if you can't wait that long to find out!!)
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

EK20

Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:02 pm

They said this new series was going to be shot in HD and now they have said it won't be. Having announced a permanent hd channel it would make sense to film one of the BBC's most popular shows in it. Doesn't make any sense.  

Here's a sneak peak - a race on the Top Gear test track between an Aston V8 Vantage and... a man.

[Edited 2007-10-02 12:12:04]

Arsenal@LHR

Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:11 pm

Top Gear is great. A memorable episode includes the one where a Ford Mondeo is fed to a VS 747-400 with engines at full power..............talk about having a blast.
In Arsene we trust!!

zarniwoop

Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:17 am

Quoting Express1 (Reply 26):
no as the BBC announced it to be shown at 9pm,its also in the tv guide showing 9pm.

dave

Watch the video in reply 24........

also

http://www.radiotimes.com/ListingsSe...ion=/jsp/prog_details_fullpage.jsp

piercey

Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:10 am

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 24):

btw, if your curious about Hammond's Helmet...

http://www.finalgear.com/news/2007/0...d-photographed-wearing-our-helmet/

Can't wait until October 8th  Smile

piercey in CLE  Sad
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

mhodgson

Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:01 pm

Top Gear, BBC2, Now!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

RobertNL070

Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:34 pm

Nah, don't like Top Gear any more. It's all testosterone and very little substance. Boys running around in toys that the most of us could never hope to own.

Richard Hammond could be very cute if he were to get rid of that necklace thingy.

Robert
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

ThePRGuy

Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:32 pm

Top Gear has a budget at a minimum of £150k/episode

Alex
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

GDB

Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:12 pm

I should not worry at all about Clarkson being anti anything, because, as part of his whole media persona, it is hard to find anything, aside from some cars, that he actually likes!

This week, they 'accused' their rivals on Channel 5's '5th Gear' (who include some presenters from the former, more serious Top Gear), of burning down a warehouse where many of their studio props were stored.

I'm not at all interested in cars, couldn't give a toss, but I enjoy Top Gear, since it's funnier than most sit coms on TV.

RobertNL070

Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:14 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 36):
on Channel 5's '5th Gear' (who include some presenters from the former, more serious Top Gear

Thank you. That's where the former Top Gear has gone to. Pity I cannot get Channel 5 on the Dutch cable.
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

sv2008

Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:30 pm

They did similar features with a jaguar years ago (i think against the XK8 but don't remember), i doubt they paid anything for the Typhoon. They make practice/training flights all the time anyway, so it doesn't make any difference.

Tonights episodewas average, not the best.

FlyingColours

Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:42 am

God dammit I've missed it, its a week early surely...... at least it's on again on Wednesday.

Major fan of TG.........

Phil
FlyingPotatoes
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

bok269

Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:38 am

I love Top Gear...from what I can find on youtube. ANyone know how to see the full episodes stateside?
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

aloges

Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:54 am

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 40):
ANyone know how to see the full episodes stateside?

Let's assume there was a website called finalgear dot com and something like a "torrent" of data, would that help?

MIAspotter

Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:00 am

Oh that's the only thing I miss from the UK! thank God for Torrents!!

MIAspotter
Nos vamos de Vueling?

Bongodog1964

Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:28 pm

Quoting Sv2008 (Reply 38):
Tonights episodewas average, not the best.

checkmark 

exFATboy

Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:47 am

Love Top Gear, glad we're finally getting it on BBC America. The "caravan holiday" episode had me rollling on the floor, even if the fire was staged.

Quoting BA757 (Reply 11):
The MOD are probably willing to do it as an air force PR kind of thing for free.

They had a Harrier on before too.

GDB

Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:30 pm

You got that right ExFATboy, add to that, a WAH-64D Apache, Challenger 2 tank, an Invincible Class carrier and probably others I've forgotten.

Fly2HMO

Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:11 am

First you need to download bittorrent. Then go to finalgear.com for the episode list.

The first episode was good. The W12 GTI was pretty disappointing though IMHO, kinda handled like the older 911s, too ass heavy.

foppishbum

Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:12 pm

I AM A FAN! But...I don't have extra money for BBC America  cry  Internet is already expensive enough for a college students. Sigh  Sad

peace
wes
Taiwanese-American :D

BlueElephant

Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:10 pm

Quoting Foppishbum (Reply 47):
Internet is already expensive enough for a college students. Sigh

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 46):

First you need to download bittorrent. Then go to finalgear.com for the episode list.

checkmark 

Norlander

Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:51 pm

Clarkson has owned several Ford GTs, so he doesn't hate everything out of Detroit.
Longtime Lurker